Old 18th July 2011, 10:39   #136
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Other than Beat, there are 2 more 3 cyl diesel hatches in the market:
-VW Polo Diesel
-Nissan Micra
Anyone did a close comparison of NVH levels between the 3pot diesels?
Like another folk pointed out, Micra isnt 3 cylinder, and POLO is very noisy under the hood too.

The noise isnt heard because of the awesome build quality and insulation.
This one of the main reasons why Polo doesnt sell in diesel as well as the 4 cylinder Vento.

Last edited by Nash24 : 18th July 2011 at 10:41.
Old 18th July 2011, 11:09   #137
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SS-Traveller View Post
Nope - medium to high traffic old highway with maximum speeds never exceeding 80-90 km/h, frequent gearshifts, potholed roads most times of the year, and overall average speed of 40 km/h. My highway car is a Scorpio 4wd!

Price announcement and a test drive would help make up my mind. Till then, I'll desist from committing to an yes or no.
This sort of Distance covering can happen if one is travelling from Greater Noida to Gurgaon or Ghaziabad to Gurgaon. If that indeed is the case, in Both the cases 80-90% of traffic is plain city traffic. Only 25 KM stretch between Gr Noida to Noida can be termed as highway. If I am not minting money, I am looking for a real frugal engine with good comfort for that sort of driving. I think from Driver's Perspective the car is good and comfortable and tuned for ride quality.

The discussion above on a 3 cylinder diesel engine is quite amusing to me. Hasn't GTO clarified in the start itself that Engine is very very quite with no vibration which is unlike any other diesel engine. Looks like FIAT pedigree of 1248CC SDE is too good a technology as compared to VW and Nissan, which is why this absolute silent engine. Now it tells me VW and Nissan needs to work on their technologies to compete with Fiat Engines.

On the durability, to my understanding even though the Warranties of the car are Less, Engine Warranties (in KM terms) are much higher (I may be wrong here). Moreover Engines are always tested to Last for more than 300,000-400,000 Kms which gets corroborated by that 100,000 KM run Beat Car discussed before in the thread. We in India are so used to driving 3 cylinder 800 CC engines in alto/M800 which are known to be reliable. As long as two problem areas of Noise and Vibrations are taken care of, which in this case looks like yes, I wouldn't worry about the engine or the car.

Last edited by anu21v : 18th July 2011 at 11:10.
Old 18th July 2011, 12:58   #138
Senior - BHPian

Great Review GTO! Could be a game changer. I'm sure Wagon R and I10 buyers will be tempted to look at the Beat Diesel with the Govt not de-regulating diesel prices any time soon. And chevy has enough dealerships in place. The only grouse is that the car is cramped compared to say the ritz or the figo. But if the beat diesel is say 30-40k cheaper than these 2 cars, then it is worth compromising on the space.
Old 18th July 2011, 14:37   #139
BHPian

With all the talk of the Beat back seat being cramped compared to the Ritz, does anyone have the actual dimensions for legroom etc for both the cars to compare?

As mentioned earlier, i have sat in the back seat of both cars, and i honestly found both of them to be poor on under thigh support, BUT the Beat seemed to offer more leg room with the front seats in the default position. Can anyone confirm this?
Old 18th July 2011, 14:41   #140
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
With all the talk of the Beat back seat being cramped compared to the Ritz, does anyone have the actual dimensions for legroom etc for both the cars to compare?

As mentioned earlier, i have sat in the back seat of both cars, and i honestly found both of them to be poor on under thigh support, BUT the Beat seemed to offer more leg room with the front seats in the default position. Can anyone confirm this?
I can confirm that there is ample leg room at the rear with the seats in default position. No worries there.
Mr.Beat is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 14:46   #141
BHPian

Quote:

Actually I once tried to check the space on two seat of Beat with a pal of mine. This is a 6'3'' guy which i asked to sit in driver's seat, and one person 5'8'' sat exactly behind driver's seat. To my and my pal's amusement, even though he was in most comfortable position on driver's seat, the guy in rear seat was still left with lot of space between his knees and driver seat's backside.

To my understanding, the rear seat comfort is the reason why all the manufacturers have pushed the rear seat backwards and have cut down on boot area and same is the case with chevy Beat. Check New WagonR vs Old WagonR dimensions. Even when the overall length of car is more than last generation car, the Boot Space is smaller and hence the Rear Seat space has increased.

Last edited by anu21v : 18th July 2011 at 14:53.
anu21v is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 14:54   #142
BHPian

Mr.Beat and anu21v , thanks for confirming that!

I have been finding the talk about the less room in the back seat of the Beat to be quite different from my personal experience, so glad that you guys feel the same too
Old 18th July 2011, 14:55   #143
BHPian

Quote:

Even i felt the same honestly, please ask someone to drive the car, sit behind on the rear seat.

Travel on a bumpy road with a few potholes.

You'll see the result yourself.

Cheers
Old 18th July 2011, 17:11   #144
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
This 3 cylinder isnt the right way to go if your going to clock 42000km every year(140*25*12)

I Agree GM is giving 3 years or 100000 which ever is higher,but once your engine becomes old, the warranty will not get those vibrations removed.
Please don't spread wrong information !

3-cyl will vibrate more as it becomes old ?? Explain why? As the engine mounts wear out, all cars will tend to vibrate more than they did when brand new.

India's largest selling car for the past 25 years has been a 3-cyl. In fact you could say that India is a 3 cyl nation.

Last edited by Mpower : 18th July 2011 at 18:10.
Mpower is offline   (6) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 17:59   #145
Senior - BHPian

Go through this and you will learn more about a 3 cylinder engine

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...er-engine.html

How many auto companies have a diesel engine of their own, adding stickers, changing colors once in a while or making different cars with one engine is not
the way automobiles are made, any good car in the hands of a bad driver will leave you shocked be it a BMW or a Nano. Working in a company which makes turbochargers, it is a good development that we have a turbo specifically designed for the engine capacity in the BEAT unlike other cars which just pick and place an existing one with some changes (correct me if I am wrong). GM finally has done something new and have lot of time to make the best use before Hyundai comes up with i10 diesel.
deehunk is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 19:09   #146
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If you want ABS, Beat will have it only on the LT-O model which should be pretty close to Ritz VDi
But frankly, if Beat D LT-O varaint is going to be priced around Ritz VDi ABS, I would rather pick up a Ritz VDi since the engine is a 4 pot one and have already gathered enough feedback on engine life upto 2 lakh kilometers.
Firstly Beat petrol is approximately 50K cheaper at the base version. The gap narrows to 30K at the top version. That is because Beat offers some more features than the Ritz.
Now that gap is only going to increase with the diesel engine. (3 cylinder is cheaper to manufacture). So if the price difference is 70K may be the Beat makes more sense.
BTW is is possible to get a Beat LT with only ABS or only Airbags? Or ABS, AIrbags & Alloys come as a combo?

Quote:
And maybe it's just me, but I hate that dented hatch more than the goblin-eared bonnet of the Beat (I hate that too!)
I think the goblin eared bonnet looks good. But the dented rear of Ritz along with its high price (compared to BEAT) was the deal breaker.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Poitive View Post
I do find the Speedo of the Beat a bit too quirky for my liking. Almost a put off.
The design is in sync with the entire car. The car looks conceptual & funky from all angles. I think the speedo is awesome. Radically different from every other car.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Beat & Polo diesel, both, are loud on the outside. However, in terms of in-cabin refinement, the Beat beats the Polo hands down. No vibrations, lesser noise and far better driveability.
That I believe is the trait from the petrol version. Noise insulation is top class. I am yet to drive a car that is more refined at idle. Hopefully an EV can be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Looks like FIAT pedigree of 1248CC SDE is too good a technology as compared to VW and Nissan, which is why this absolute silent engine. Now it tells me VW and Nissan needs to work on their technologies to compete with Fiat Engines.
Refinement is not the only aspect when the overall engine is considered. There are lot of other important parameters - reliability, Performance... and I dont think VW is lagging by any means. May be the 3 cylinder Polo is a failure but it has awesome engines on offer. Vento, Laura/Yeti. They may not be ultra refined but the performance they offer is mind blowing.

Quote:
Moreover Engines are always tested to Last for more than 300,000-400,000 Kms which gets corroborated by that 100,000 KM run Beat Car discussed before in the thread. We in India are so used to driving 3 cylinder 800 CC engines in alto/M800 which are known to be reliable.
Absolutely. May be the 4th owner should worry about end of life of an engine.

Quote:
Actually I once tried to check the space on two seat of Beat with a pal of mine. This is a 6'3'' guy which i asked to sit in driver's seat, and one person 5'8'' sat exactly behind driver's seat. To my and my pal's amusement, even though he was in most comfortable position on driver's seat, the guy in rear seat was still left with lot of space between his knees and driver seat's backside.

To my understanding, the rear seat comfort is the reason why all the manufacturers have pushed the rear seat backwards and have cut down on boot area and same is the case with chevy Beat. Check New WagonR vs Old WagonR dimensions. Even when the overall length of car is more than last generation car, the Boot Space is smaller and hence the Rear Seat space has increased.
Leg space is very decent in Beat. It is the lack of under thigh support, that kills the Joy.
oxyzen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 18th July 2011, 19:50   #147
BHPian

Not sure if this is true, 80000 More than petrol for the diesel variants

Chevrolet Beat diesel website goes live | Goa On Wheels
Old 18th July 2011, 19:52   #148
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Not sure if this is true, 80000 More than petrol for the diesel variants

Chevrolet Beat diesel website goes live | Goa On Wheels
That is very close to the actual figure depending on the variant. If petrol Beat LT costs 4.75, then Diesel Beat costs 5.5 L which is confirmed by me. So the news is perfectly true
Old 18th July 2011, 21:17   #149
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
@Sutripta: You get my thought process?
Require matrix perfectly filled in, I agree.

Quote:
(aka 'bamuner goru - khaay kom, doodh daey beshi' in Bong - not quite translatable into English!).
Pedigree (magical properties?) comes from bamun or the creator?

Regards
Sutripta
Old 18th July 2011, 23:31   #150
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
BTW is is possible to get a Beat LT with only ABS or only Airbags? Or ABS, AIrbags & Alloys come as a combo?
LT variant + Airbags + ABS + Front seat belts with load limiters + Alloys = LT (O)

All of these together are a combo as the optional pack and dont come separate.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks