Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2011, 23:42   #151
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
That is very close to the actual figure depending on the variant. If petrol Beat LT costs 4.75, then Diesel Beat costs 5.5 L which is confirmed by me. So the news is perfectly true
Still waiting for the final prices to be announced, but looks like your figures seem to be just about right.

For various reasons OTR prices in Karnataka are ~40k costlier than Mumbai.

So the LT would be ~5.9+ L here in Bangalore and the LT (O) which i have booked is going to end up being over 6.5L OTR! There goes my hopes of saving some money
Old 19th July 2011, 10:25   #152
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
Still waiting for the final prices to be announced, but looks like your figures seem to be just about right.

For various reasons OTR prices in Karnataka are ~40k costlier than Mumbai.

So the LT would be ~5.9+ L here in Bangalore and the LT (O) which i have booked is going to end up being over 6.5L OTR! There goes my hopes of saving some money
What ever are the rumors, one thing is sure, the price will be less than figo else this car will not sell.
I think 6.5OTR highly Unlikely.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:30   #153
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by salbin View Post
Other than Beat, there are 2 more 3 cyl diesel hatches in the market:
-VW Polo Diesel
-Nissan Micra
Anyone did a close comparison of NVH levels between the 3pot diesels?
Even I am looking for answers on this question. GTO can you please clarify whether which of the above car's engine feel more refined.
Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
Go through this Link...
Working in a company which makes turbochargers, it is a good development that we have a turbo specifically designed for the engine capacity in the BEAT unlike other cars which just pick and place an existing one with some changes (correct me if I am wrong). GM finally has done something new and have lot of time to make the best use before Hyundai comes up with i10 diesel.
Thanks for the Link Deehunk.
I did not know if there was a turbocharger built for this small engine. Can Someone Let the forum know if any of the cars like Ritz/Swift/Figo/Polo or Micra come with turbocharger on its diesel engines?
if what you have written is true DeeHunk, then I am really happy for GM that they have put real earnest effort in bringing the best technology car to India. In any case I have always felt its only GM or Hyundai who are bringing their latest cars to India. Figo being an Old technology car more like Estilo doesn't excite me much.

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
BTW is is possible to get a Beat LT with only ABS or only Airbags? Or ABS, AIrbags & Alloys come as a combo?
IMO Cheve has a consitant policy of Single Option version on any car which will have all of these features. There is no Pick and Choose option available.
Quote:
That I believe is the trait from the petrol version. Noise insulation is top class. I am yet to drive a car that is more refined at idle. Hopefully an EV can be.
+1 to that. absolutely. I have driven so many new cars, but the Beat petrol has the highest level of Engine Refinement and NVH levels. Not to forget unlike so many other manufactures, Chevy has not compromised on the Materials and Steel or paint Quality or even Safety for Indian market. Although there are missing Airbags as compared to European Beat (Named Spark in Europe) but the rest of the car is exactly the same as European one whether it is 5-Star rated N-Cap crash specific steel or even Level 5 corrosion resistant requirement(Most Indian cars are designed for Corrosion zone 4 IMO).

In fact for people who want to get Under-body Paint on Cars, It is absolutely not required on 'Beat' at All, since the Steel and Paint is already for the highest level of corrosion. (confirmed by my source). I do remember it was the world car which GM wanted to export from India, so it complies with most of international market requirement.

Quote:
Refinement is not the only aspect when the overall engine is considered. There are lot of other important parameters - reliability, Performance... and I dont think VW is lagging by any means. May be the 3 cylinder Polo is a failure but it has awesome engines on offer. Vento, Laura/Yeti. They may not be ultra refined but the performance they offer is mind blowing.
True. I think having a good engine is one thing. Putting that engine in a car where it can be best utilized is other thing. In Beat's Case, This engine is specifically designed for beat is what is warming my heart. Also per the news on the web, India is going to be the only place finding use of this engine, Not even Europe where it is designed. Thankfully GM management understood the needs of Indian customers and put the exact thing required without compromising on car's quality. Last I checked Beat was Ranked "Second" on JD-POWER IQS just behind Pricey Jazz and above the entire premium Hatchback Segment incl ritz, polo,swift, micra, i20.

Quote:
Absolutely. May be the 4th owner should worry about end of life of an engine. Leg space is very decent in Beat. It is the lack of under thigh support, that kills the Joy.
Not even that. I think most of the good International manufactures design Engines which Outlast the design of cars. Why should the 4th or even 5th buyer should suffer at all especially on engine

Last edited by anu21v : 19th July 2011 at 11:35.
Old 19th July 2011, 11:42   #154
Senior - BHPian

Anu21V, all modern diesel cars have a turbocharger, they use a common turbocharger between different capacity engines say from 600cc to 1.5 L engines, making some modifications for the fitment, but GM developed a new turbocharger for this 1 litre engine instead of buying an existing one, and that is a new thing.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:30   #155
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Even I am looking for answers on this question. GTO can you please clarify whether which of the above car's engine feel more refined.
As discussed earlier, the VW is a 3 cylinder, but the Micra is actually a 4 cylinder. I have driven the Diesel Beat and it is incredibly silent inside the cabin. The engine is so quiet that you can barely hear it after cranking it. On the inside, while driving, NVH levels are excellent and its a very pleasing experience to drive this car.

Quote:
I did not know if there was a turbocharger built for this small engine. Can Someone Let the forum know if any of the cars like Ritz/Swift/Figo/Polo or Micra come with turbocharger on its diesel engines?
All of them come with turbochargers, the Beat does not have much turbo lag and feels almost petrol enginish in power delivery in city traffic.
Old 19th July 2011, 12:49   #156
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
What ever are the rumors, one thing is sure, the price will be less than figo else this car will not sell.
I think 6.5OTR highly Unlikely.
I do hope so, but there does exist the possibility that GM would price the lower variants more competitively to achieve volumes. The higher variants like the LT and LT(O) may see higher prices OTR with only a negligible price difference over the competition.

I would be happiest if my speculation is proved wrong
Old 19th July 2011, 13:17   #157
BHPian

Quote:
Mr.Beat and anu21v , thanks for confirming that!

I have been finding the talk about the less room in the back seat of the Beat to be quite different from my personal experience, so glad that you guys feel the same too
I think it will be a good idea to put things in perspective by GTO himself. Discarding the window visibility factor, GTO is it possible for you to Compare two factors in order of your preference for below cars and rank them.

a) back seat Comfort
b) Ride quality for back seat passengers at 70-90 speed.
Since its the change in suspension from Sporty to comfort for beat, it demands fresh comparison.

Beat, Polo, Punto, Ritz, Swift, FIGO, Micra, i10, i20 and new-WagonR.

This comparison should be able to put the rest the question on how good or bad the rear seat for Beat is atleast for people travelling longer distances.

Last edited by anu21v : 19th July 2011 at 13:27.
Old 19th July 2011, 13:18   #158
BHPian

Quote:
I do hope so, but there does exist the possibility that GM would price the lower variants more competitively to achieve volumes. The higher variants like the LT and LT(O) may see higher prices OTR with only a negligible price difference over the competition.

I would be happiest if my speculation is proved wrong
Dont think so mate, they need to clock 5000 every month, they will try selling LT and LT(O) more because they have more selling points on these variants, pricing will be more crucial on these variants because they have to paint a picture in the customers mind this is value for money variant.
Old 19th July 2011, 17:33   #159
BHPian

Quote:
Dont think so mate, they need to clock 5000 every month, they will try selling LT and LT(O) more because they have more selling points on these variants, pricing will be more crucial on these variants because they have to paint a picture in the customers mind this is value for money variant.
Hey Nash24, any further updates from your friend at the dealership?
Old 19th July 2011, 17:43   #160
BHPian

Quote:
Hey Nash24, any further updates from your friend at the dealership?
My friend is not talking to me, after he saw my family members reactions when i rejected the car

i'm still trying hard to convince myself and family about the 1.1lakh price savings, keeping in mind about the 2 major negatives of the car.

But nothing much is left to think about, the price of this car will surely be less than the Figo mate.
Old 19th July 2011, 20:01   #161
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
i'm still trying hard to convince myself and family about the 1.1lakh price savings, keeping in mind about the 2 major negatives of the car.
If this is going to be the only car in the family, I would say you choose it carefully keeping the "price factor" away. Most of us can afford to buy only 1 car for 4-5 years interval and make sure that's a winner in all aspects and makes most of its regular users happy.

If the occupants are un-happy with the car, they will frown every time they get into the car and will find more and more reasons "why the car should not have been purchased" ! So please keep the cost savings aside and think about it.

Disclaimer:: I understand the savings are HUGE compared to the competition, but sometimes we need to give preference for our simple pleasures.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 19th July 2011 at 20:04.
swiftnfurious is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 20:14   #162
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
If this is going to be the only car in the family, I would say you choose it carefully keeping the "price factor" away. Most of us can afford to buy only 1 car for 4-5 years interval and make sure that's a winner in all aspects and makes most of its regular users happy.

If the occupants are un-happy with the car, they will frown every time they get into the car and will find more and more reasons "why the car should not have been purchased" ! So please keep the cost savings aside and think about it.
Exactly my understanding. If one wants to buy a car, He/She should buy the car which he likes the most in the budget available to them.

No person should buy a car just because one car is cheaper to other. Moreso, car buying should not be based on what others would think. Just like Ready-made branded clothes, Not every thing that suits to others would suit you. One should sit, drive and experience in all the cars in its consideration set without swaying to peer/public pressure before finalizing it. To me with so many highly localized products in the market, the maintenance cost is not even a factor also because maintenance cost is much much lower than the annual petrol/diesel bills. Car Buying is a bigger emotional involvement purchase than you might think and it can haunt you for a longer time.

Last edited by anu21v : 19th July 2011 at 20:35.
Old 19th July 2011, 20:27   #163
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Not even that. I think most of the good International manufactures design Engines which Outlast the design of cars. Why should the 4th or even 5th buyer should suffer at all especially on engine
Engine like every other mechanical part undergo wear and tear. With the passage of time, the rings wear out, the blowby and oil consumption increases, torque drops etc etc. Then carbon gets deposited in certain un acessible areas and creates problem. It is not to be expected that an engine will run indefinately. Sure with proper maintenence it can last 3-4L kms but a point comes when selling the car is better option considering the maintenance cost.

Quote:
a) back seat Comfort
b) Ride quality for back seat passengers at 70-90 speed.
In the city nothing beats the ride quality of Beat. It soaks all the craters and road undulation. In 1 word. Ride is Plush. There is ano vertcal movement for the rear benchers. Beat beats Polo, Punto, Ritz, Swift, FIGO, Micra, i10, i20 and new-WagonR hands down.
But,as soon as you go ver 60 you will notice body roll. AT 80, it is Highly uncomfortable. My mom/grandmother felt it was like a boat.. So if rear seat comfort is something you are looking for on highways, you need stiffer suspension. Figo/ Polo / Punto should provide the best ride quality in city and highways combined.

For Beat, even in the city, the lack of underthigh support and high window line is not welcome for thr backbenchers.

Quote:
But nothing much is left to think about, the price of this car will surely be less than the Figo mate.
Also not to forget the part quality of Beat is a step ahead of Figo. Figo is built to cost. There are a lot of areas with glaring cost cutting. Beat has none. It is basically a car of international quality. But unfortunately, they messed up in 3 key areas.
1) Handling
2) Rear seat (Thigh support, window line)
3) Petrol engine (May be the diesel can address this issue)

But it the VFM pricing that makes buying the car worth.

Last edited by oxyzen : 19th July 2011 at 20:28.
Old 19th July 2011, 21:11   #164
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Like another folk pointed out, Micra isnt 3 cylinder, and POLO is very noisy under the hood too.
The Beat is noisy under the hood / outside too. But as you rightly added, it's the heavy, effective insulation that keeps the noise out of the cabin.

Quote:
Hasn't GTO clarified in the start itself that Engine is very very quite with no vibration which is unlike any other diesel engine.
The engine by itself vibrates a heck of a lot (look at video when idling). Again, it's the engine mounts that absorb this vibration and prevent it from entering the cabin.

Quote:
GTO can you please clarify whether which of the above car's engine feel more refined.
Micra > Beat > Polo.

The Micra isn't the most silent. However, it's definitely more refined than the 3 cylinder competition.

Quote:
Beat, Polo, Punto, Ritz, Swift, FIGO, Micra, i10, i20 and new-WagonR.

This comparison should be able to put the rest the question on how good or bad the rear seat for Beat is atleast for people travelling longer distances.
The Beat's rear seat is definitely more comfortable than the i10 & Swift from your list. You've skipped the Vista which is the king of backseat comfort & space BTW. The Micra's under thigh support is poor. Overall, I'd give it to the i20 in terms of space & urban ride quality, followed by the Punto (limited space, but awesome ride) and Figo / Beat.

Last edited by GTO : 19th July 2011 at 21:12.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th July 2011, 21:43   #165
BHPian

Quote:

Also not to forget the part quality of Beat is a step ahead of Figo. Figo is built to cost. There are a lot of areas with glaring cost cutting. Beat has none. It is basically a car of international quality. But unfortunately, they messed up in 3 key areas.
1) Handling
2) Rear seat (Thigh support, window line)
3) Petrol engine (May be the diesel can address this issue)

But it the VFM pricing that makes buying the car worth.
Beg to differ on point number 1.

I dont know about the petrol beat, but diesel beat has 165/65 R14 tyres and the current suspension set up is helping it a lot in handling.

Ofcourse you can not expect a Punto handling from a BEAT but having said that, its not bad at all. I have done sharp curves and hairpin bends in tight lanes at speeds of 70 to 90km/hr on the beat diesel. It is not bad at all, this is one area where i have given good positive marks to this car.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks