Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th July 2011, 21:57   #166
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The Beat's rear seat is definitely more comfortable than the i10 & Swift from your list. You've skipped the Vista which is the king of backseat comfort & space BTW. The Micra's under thigh support is poor. Overall, I'd give it to the i20 in terms of space & urban ride quality, followed by the Punto (limited space, but awesome ride) and Figo / Beat.
My 2 Cents here,

I think GTO means to say Beat rear seat is comfortable in the sense Leg room is adequate. Agreed, according to me the leg room is very good.

In terms of ride quality and the thickness of the beat's rear seat cushion below are the facts.

1) rear seats come out and fall down in order to ensure the back rest of the rear seat sleeps on the chasis (incase of 60:40 requirement), since the rear seat cushion needs to be detachable the thickness of the rear seat cushion is totally inadequate, this is reason why friends and family gave me horrible looks when i tried to do a 40km/hr speed on a bumpy road.
2) Another bad luck, under thigh support is too less, My gf felt is was too less for her, she is just 5.4 inch tall she actually showed it to me, the seat didnt even reach her knee it is that bad.

Last edited by Nash24 : 19th July 2011 at 22:02. Reason: Mods could you please merge this post with the last post on page 11.cheers
Old 19th July 2011, 22:13   #167
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Beg to differ on point number 1.

I dont know about the petrol beat, but diesel beat has 165/65 R14 tyres and the current suspension set up is helping it a lot in handling.

Ofcourse you can not expect a Punto handling from a BEAT but having said that, its not bad at all. I have done sharp curves and hairpin bends in tight lanes at speeds of 70 to 90km/hr on the beat diesel. It is not bad at all, this is one area where i have given good positive marks to this car.
May be you are right but that is the comment Beat is going to get from a person who drives Palio, Zen (sold), and recently Vento.
I agree Wagonr, Micra, and even I20 are even worse. But that does not make beat a good handler.
I think it is time for me to upgrade tyres and feel the difference.
Old 20th July 2011, 02:42   #168
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Ofcourse you can not expect a Punto handling from a BEAT but having said that, its not bad at all. I have done sharp curves and hairpin bends in tight lanes at speeds of 70 to 90km/hr on the beat diesel. It is not bad at all, this is one area where i have given good positive marks to this car.
Hairpin bends at 70-90kmph!!!
That sounds seriously fast. And that too on a Beat!!!
Seems very unsafe though. For you, and also for others who may be coming from the other side.

Or maybe I am imagining the hill roads/hairpin bends up north, which may be totally different (sharper) than ones where you may be driving.
Poitive is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 03:47   #169
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Beg to differ on point number 1.

I dont know about the petrol beat, but diesel beat has 165/65 R14 tyres and the current suspension set up is helping it a lot in handling.

This is a hairpin bend.

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-hairpinbendthumb9627092.jpg

You cannot do 70-90 kmph on an hairpin bend (certainly not in a beat unless yours is skids out of Transformers) unless you are drifting. Were you drifting?
blackasta is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 08:03   #170
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : Not only are you making misleading claims on this thread, but also reporting on absolutely dangerous driving on public roads. Please note that both are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2011 at 11:46.
Nash24 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 20th July 2011, 11:31   #171
BHPian

Note from Team-BHP Support : Not only are you making misleading claims on this thread, but also reporting on absolutely dangerous driving on public roads. Please note that both are STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

Last edited by GTO : 21st July 2011 at 11:48.
Old 20th July 2011, 11:45   #172
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
its a huge U turn over the underpass
... and that's not a hairpin bend by 'conventional' wisdom!

By the way, we are talking about a Beat here, and not a true blue sports car, so why are we even considering such characteristics of handling?
Most consumers would be using this as a daily point A to B city commuter, and maybe sometimes on the highways.

I test drove this yesterday evening, just for the heck of it, and find it quite competent in the city. Everything that has been mentioned in the original review holds true and city users should not have many reasons to complain, with this car. I found that the space in the rear seat is also good, as compared to other cars in this segment. I drove on NH-8 for some distance, and it is satisfactory on highways as well.
And, after all this, if it still saves money over competitor offerings and comes with very good warranty and maintenance packages, why complain about what is, basically, nit-picking!!!
roy_libran is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 11:49   #173
BHPian

hi all i had a test drive of the beat diesel for a good 20 kms it is a good vehicle ,power delivery is linear without the typical turbo diesel spike,the car pulls nicely from lower rpm but runs out of breath after about 110kms per hour.the vibrations are well controlled inside they cannot be felt,engine noise is also less inside ,but as soon as you open the bonnet it is a different story there is loud noise and the three pot diesel vibrates so violently that you cannot believe your eyes ,it feels that it might fall of so violent is the shaking. thanks
bajwasingh is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 20th July 2011, 14:29   #174
BHPian

Just saw the Diesel Beat at Orange Auto. Seems to be a perfect city ride, esp for the missus. Good integrated ICE, ACC, lots of small storage spaces, bottle holders on both front doors. Me like. Chevy seemed to have covered all the points and according to the SE they expect it to be priced lower than Figo. Have to wait till 25th to know the pricing.

Orange Auto, Hyderabad claims to have 75 bookings already.
Old 20th July 2011, 15:48   #175
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
hi all i had a test drive of the beat diesel for a good 20 kms it is a good vehicle ,power delivery is linear without the typical turbo diesel spike,the car pulls nicely from lower rpm but runs out of breath after about 110kms per hour.the vibrations are well controlled inside they cannot be felt,engine noise is also less inside ,but as soon as you open the bonnet it is a different story there is loud noise and the three pot diesel vibrates so violently that you cannot believe your eyes ,it feels that it might fall of so violent is the shaking. thanks
Thanks for sharing that, i didnt go faster than about ~80kmph on my test drive, but the engine felt like it do a bit more. What was amazing to me was with that much vibration and noise with the hood up, it was so silent and pleasant on the inside. NVH levels are great
Old 20th July 2011, 18:04   #176
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bajwasingh View Post
the vibrations are well controlled inside they cannot be felt,engine noise is also less inside ,but as soon as you open the bonnet it is a different story there is loud noise and the three pot diesel vibrates so violently that you cannot believe your eyes ,it feels that it might fall of so violent is the shaking. thanks
The softer the engine mount, the more the engine will shake...and lesser vibrations are transferred to the cabin. If you use stiff mounts, the engine will seem like its shaking less but you'll now feel it in the steering wheel.
Mpower is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 09:50   #177
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
Beat beats Polo, Punto, Ritz, Swift, FIGO, Micra, i10, i20 and new-WagonR hands down.
Quote:
Originally Posted by oxyzen View Post
I agree Wagonr, Micra, and even I20 are even worse.
Have to disagree with you on this, folks. The i20 is a very different car compared to the Beat, in a higher segment (I've driven the petrol Beat quite a bit, and own an i20) Sure the i20 isn't the "perfect" car for everyone, but handling wise I think it is much better than the Beat in a lot of ways.

Coming to the Beat Diesel, thanks for the good review, GTO. I personally think the Beat petrol is a very capable car, once you get over the way it looks. GM will have a winner on its hands if they manage to price it right.
Old 21st July 2011, 12:22   #178
BHPian

thanks m power for englightining me on that ,but when i saw the engine vibrating so much ,i thought what has chevy done here ,and wouldnot so much of vibration compromise the long term reliability of the engine
bajwasingh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2011, 18:22   #179

A very comprehensive review indeed!!!

After the Ford Figo success, I think time has come finally for a GM success story in India. It is all going to boil down to that one thing called "PRICE".

Cheers Chevy BEAT - BEAT THEM DOWN!!!

Old 22nd July 2011, 10:39   #180
BHPian

Any updates on the launch date? My dealer says the launch is not on the 25th but the 27th?? Still no official word on the OTR prices here

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks