Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th July 2011, 19:58   #256
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by download2live View Post
Wikipedia to rescue:Turbocharger - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

The objective of a turbocharger is to improve an engine's volumetric efficiency by increasing the intake density. The compressor draws in ambient air and compresses it before it enters into the intake manifold at increased pressure. This results in a greater mass of air entering the cylinders on each intake stroke. The power needed to spin the centrifugal compressor is derived from the high pressure and temperature of the engine's exhaust gases. The turbine converts the engine exhaust's potential pressure energy and kinetic velocity energy into rotational power, which is in turn used to drive the compressor.
Thanks @download2live I stand corrected.
Old 25th July 2011, 20:05   #257
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Congrats to you.. .hope we get your ownership thread soon
Frankly, I have not driven the Beat D but I have driven its petrol sibling. And handling was not its strong point at all. The Beat D might be better with thicker rubber but I don't think it can match the Figo.
Figo, on the other hand, has excellent handling - almost zero body roll, great steering and corners like a dream.

There are many aspects of the Figo which I don't like at all. It looks one or two generations older than the Beat and I love the Beat's interiors and overall design. I don't find any cheapness with the Beat (interiors as well as exteriors), which is so galore in the Figo.

Between the two, personally, I would any day choose the Beat over the Figo but can't agree on the handling part.
But, as a overall package, Figo remains the better VFM to the majority with its space and practicality.
Well Adi, Since my last car is just 2 years old and still under bank loan, I am not immediately looking to buy it, but surely sometimes in January to April period I am going to replace my car with this diesel baby. I am one of those guys who are not fan of 3 box cars and would rather keep a practical HB.

All said, a cousin of mine and a close friend are scouting for a new car and they intend to buy beat diesel within this month, so i will keep posting their experiences.

On that Handling front, I think you should see the difference between the Petrol and the diesel due to
a) New EPS instead of HPS and
b) Wider Tires.
Also there is much advertised Body-in :wheel-out stance which keeps the body roll in check.

I have personally driven both the petrol and diesel beats, along with both petrol and diesel figo and i10 Kappa 2. My understanding as of now is that not only beat diesel is a peppier engine than above cars but handling is absolutely great and better than all these cars. I have TDed Beat diesel on variety of terrains, Expressways to Mountainous region to basement parking slopes to heavily busy roads, all with 4 people sitting inside and have ran almost 50 Kms. The only thing that I haven't checked is their claim of mileage. I didn't do any hairpin bends (sorry Nash )or 150K+ racing but except that i did pretty much everything that i expect from a car like this. Touched the top speed of 135 without much hassle, couldn't go beyond that due to traffic on the expressway.

Adi I agree with your comments which are fair on beat petrol but i would like to know your experience after you have TDed this car. I am sure we all will get benefited with your experience.

Last edited by anu21v : 25th July 2011 at 20:16.
anu21v is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 20:11   #258
Senior - BHPian

There are a few petrol hatches which havent been as discriminated as the Beat D

How many folks actually end up caring about the 3 Vs 4 cylinders? Space, Mileage, Service costs are far more important to the average buyer.

Couple of points--
- Chevy has kept some pricing power to factor in discounts as and when necessary.
- Chevy (will tweak and) insert this engine in the Spark as well. Expect it to be 40-50K cheaper.

I like the fact that Chevy dared to come with this 936CC engine. Bravo!!

Last edited by Equus : 25th July 2011 at 20:12.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:22   #259
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
There are many aspects of the Figo which I don't like at all. It looks one or two generations older than the Beat and I love the Beat's interiors and overall design. I don't find any cheapness with the Beat (interiors as well as exteriors), which is so galore in the Figo.
Between the two, personally, I would any day choose the Beat over the Figo but can't agree on the handling part.
But, as a overall package, Figo remains the better VFM to the majority with its space and practicality.
Yes Figo is still a much more VFM package. It has got huge amount of space. And a big boot too. Add to it the 1.4L 4 pot taken straight from fiesta.

Like I said Beat is great car but with no USP other than styling. But now the other USP is FE. If it delivers good real-time FE it will have a lot of takers. Specially young professionals who cant afford too much on fuel bills.

As per the Handling part how can Beat Diesel provide better handling? Same chassis, same suspension. The HPS in petrol is quite good. How can EPS provide better feedback? Yes the wider tyres will help in grip. But overall the there should not be any drastic improvement in handling.

If it is all about Handling Figo is the way to go. I rate it a knotch better than Palio, Polo and even Punto. I just love the low stance. It inspires confidence. But that's just me
Old 25th July 2011, 21:24   #260
Senior - BHPian

This is really a mouth watering price by GM. But is ABS available only on the LT option pack or also in the LT variant?
Old 25th July 2011, 21:41   #261
BHPian

Pardon my ignorance, but does the Beat have more boot space than an Alto?. Tried looking around for info on the Alto's boot space, but couldnt get any numbers on that. Would appreciate any info on this!
Old 25th July 2011, 21:42   #262
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by aravind.anand View Post
This is really a mouth watering price by GM. But is ABS available only on the LT option pack or also in the LT variant?
ABS is available only on the LT option pack.
Old 25th July 2011, 21:44   #263
GTO
Team-BHP Support

I don't think there is any doubt that the Figo is the superior overall package. It's got more room on the insides, a proper 4 cylinder engine, excellent urban driveability, a large boot and balanced ride & handling. All this for not much more money.

However, the Beat still makes a strong case for itself. It's way more modern inside out, has better urban ride quality (not the handling though), is lighter to drive in the city (EPS steering) and the interior quality feels noticeably superior. Sure, the looks may not work for some, but for those whom it does, you can bet that it really works. 20 - 30 grand isn't a lot of money, yet you'll be surprised at the number of hatchback deals that are made & broken based on 20k.

I say that the Figo & Beat diesels have taken the fight where no one dared. Right to Maruti's & Hyundai's backyard. These cars make things better for us, by making the competition work harder. Everyone always spoke of how Maruti's scale & efficiency gives them the cost advantage, and no one will be able to beat them on VFM. Well, the Beat & Figo just undercut them....and with arguably better products.

Last edited by GTO : 25th July 2011 at 21:45.
GTO is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 22:09   #264
Senior - BHPian

Just curious.

Is Chevrolet also giving 3 years no question asked service on beat Diesel too.??
Old 25th July 2011, 22:35   #265
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but does the Beat have more boot space than an Alto?. Tried looking around for info on the Alto's boot space, but couldnt get any numbers on that. Would appreciate any info on this!
Not much difference mate, may be just 10 or 15 litres more in the beat.
Old 25th July 2011, 22:40   #266
BHPian

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : Typing a message which is not a value-addition to the topic being discussed, or is just entirely irrelevant is considered as “Spam” on this community. Spamming is STRICTLY prohibited on Team-BHP.

We advise you to read the Announcements and Board Rules section before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 26th July 2011 at 09:37.
Nash24 is offline   Received Infraction
Old 25th July 2011, 22:58   #267
Senior - BHPian

Service intervals spread over 1.5 yrs? Seems scary for the car not visiting the service centre for so long! Anyone else feels the same?
Old 25th July 2011, 23:07   #268
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
Got the OTR prices for Mys / Blr

PS - 5.2
LS - 5.57
LT - 6.11
LT (O) - 6.66
For this pricing, you can get a Vista Quadrajet - a great engine and has better space and comfort, especially in the rear seats, not to mention the heavy build.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:08   #269
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Service intervals spread over 1.5 yrs? Seems scary for the car not visiting the service centre for so long! Anyone else feels the same?
It should not be a problem and a lot of manufacturers have been using this point for marketing now a days. Lesser visit to the A$$ / better service intervals give a lot of relief to lot of customers from a cost perspective. If you love your car more, just take it for a simple oil + filter change every 7.5K kms which will cost you some 1000/- odd bucks.

If so you see this forum, there are a lot of people who do unscheduled maintenance at lesser intervals. And if you use synthetic oil, 15K kms should be no worries at all. I do a general check up every 3000 kms for my Swift D which is filter cleaning and fluid level check / top up which costs 120/-. It gives me a relief and cleans up the car a bit.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 25th July 2011 at 23:10.
Old 25th July 2011, 23:17   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Equus View Post
Yup me too, 10000km or 1 yr service is required.

Most Viewed