Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th August 2011, 23:54   #361
Joy
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Urban_Nomad View Post
I cannot wait for August to get over and then compare sales of Figo vs Beat. IMO, GM has goofed up (a bit) as far as pricing is concerned and it will inevitabely push people towards the Figo, which always was a well rounded VFM product (which will only look all the more VFM now).

Place your bets ladies & gentlemen. I say come 1st Sep 2011, Figo outsells the Beat 2 : 1.5
By mistake pressed the Thanks button. Anyway,

Just wait for the announcement of 3 year maintenance package and I think as a city car people will prefer Beat D any day.

Mods:Is it possible to change the position of Thanks button preferably to left side. Thanks.
Old 12th August 2011, 23:58   #362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by fangface View Post
I would have to disagree with your assessment of the rear space. The Swift and Ritz are pretty cramped in the back seat as far as leg room is concerned. The Beat is more spacious in the back. But with storage space, i guess the Ritz is a pretty nifty car with lots of space to store stuff.

Road view is something that needs getting used to, but you probably feel that way because of the high set dashboard compared to the marutis.
Hi, sorry to disagree here, Old swift is Cramped and leg space is bad totally agree with that comment. But on the other hand Ritz is just too good as far as space is concerned. 3 people on the back seat and trust me they will be happy. Just adjust the front seat to your comfort and check the amount of space you have in the back seat of the ritz and beat, you'll see the difference.

Having said this, happy to hear you've picked up the beat, waiting for you to put up an ownership thread soon.
Old 13th August 2011, 00:10   #363
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats on the first Beat TDCi on team-bhp !

Quote:
  • My tyres seem to have been overinflated on delivery, slightly bouncy ride but the gas filled shocks give a comfy ride. Will get the tyre pressure checked again. The standard recommended pressure is 34 psi for front and back.
Looks like the psi is set for max FE. If you reduce it to 2 psi each, you might get better comfort by a small drop in FE.

Quote:
  • Highway performance was good, drove it b/w mysore and bangalore. Hits the 90-100kmph mark without too much fuss and at approx 3k RPM. Engine does not seem strained at those speeds and can cruise in that range.
3K @ 100 ? Swift D does 100 @ 2200 rpm in 5th. Now this gearing is short !
Old 13th August 2011, 00:26   #364
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joy View Post

Just wait for the announcement of 3 year maintenance package and I think as a city car people will prefer Beat D any day.
Tvm Chevy dealer informed 3 year maintenance package is available for Beat D at Rs.18k for (3 years/45k kms)

Regarding discounts,
Dealer haven't decided on corporate discount amount and for time being they offered me 3k discount
Old 15th October 2011, 02:27   #365
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by deehunk View Post
I have been servicing my vehicle at Authorised service station in Bangalore (Kropex), have not experienced any problem with them, some of the things they have done in warranty without any charges are
  1. My boot door was not closing fully, rectified in 4th service free of cost
  2. Shocks replaced free of cost, had complained during 4th service
  3. AC duct, blower cleaned free of cost, lots of small but crucial things have been fixed free of cost.
  4. Accessory pricing reduced on request on par with after market price.
  5. No labour charges so far, I have spent only Rs. 350 so far for 20k km in 2 years
d hunk
hi
a newbie here(petrol beat owner)
they give only 2 services free over and above the first one which is not a service but just an assurance checkup
the second and third service is done free wheras the third 15000 km(where the engine oil is to be changed) is not a free service and parts are extra.So i am surprised that they did all that without any charge unless you went for their extended warranty at the time of purchase.I need to go for my service in the near future could you pl guide me?thanks
Incidentally on their facebook their have been complaints of very high bills
thanks and rgds
Old 15th October 2011, 02:43   #366
BHPian

SS traveller
hi
you may remember about the 67 year old person who wanted to drive alone from bombay to leh and back(in a beat) and his questions.
i did it with very light and minor scraping of the bottom.Even at sonmarg where the road was totally washed away it did ok with some scraping at the bottom(even higher ground cars were taking some hits)

"To those of you gentlemen who have had experience with GM Chevrolet products in the recent past, a few quick questions regarding warranty:
How good are GM with the honouring of their 3 year/100,000 km warranty?
  • Do they crib about replacing parts promptly?
  • Are parts available for warranty-related replacement immediately in major cities, or does one end up waiting a few days till they ship the parts?
  • Is this warranty valid bumper-to-bumper, or are there some exclusions after a certain number of km, like the suspension etc.?
  • And how often have you had to claim warranty, i.e. how good is their quality control?
This is a car that interests me, and if I do shift all my work-related single-person commute to this, I should cover 100,000 km in 3 years easily. However, I have no experience of owning a GM product, and all inputs would be welcome.
As to the questions above pl read their face book page where customers,including me, have raised lot of issues which have not been addressed
rgds
Old 15th October 2011, 15:20   #367
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by faustus77
SS traveller
hi
you may remember about the 67 year old person who wanted to drive alone from bombay to leh and back(in a beat) and his questions.
i did it with very light and minor scraping of the bottom.Even at sonmarg where the road was totally washed away it did ok with some scraping at the bottom(even higher ground cars were taking some hits)

"To those of you gentlemen who have had experience with GM Chevrolet products in the recent past, a few quick questions regarding warranty:
How good are GM with the honouring of their 3 year/100,000 km warranty?
[*]Do they crib about replacing parts promptly?[*]Are parts available for warranty-related replacement immediately in major cities, or does one end up waiting a few days till they ship the parts?[*]Is this warranty valid bumper-to-bumper, or are there some exclusions after a certain number of km, like the suspension etc.?[*]And how often have you had to claim warranty, i.e. how good is their quality control?This is a car that interests me, and if I do shift all my work-related single-person commute to this, I should cover 100,000 km in 3 years easily. However, I have no experience of owning a GM product, and all inputs would be welcome.
As to the questions above pl read their face book page where customers,including me, have raised lot of issues which have not been addressed
rgds
I have owned a Chevy Spark since 2008, and my impressions are:

1. No, they are pretty prompt about identifying the parts that are to be replaced
2. In my limited experience of once having to have the clutch replaced, they did make me wait a couple of days more than they initially stated, because apparently the wrong part was sent from the distributor
3. I don't really know sorry
4. I've had a unique case of having the entire exhaust system changed as it was resonating with a loud humming sound in certain conditions/rpms. Apart from that, the clutch wore out due to incessant start-stop traffic in Bangalore city. No other troubles so far (touch wood!)

Additionally, I've noticed that the SA do not know or understand reported issues immediately. I've tried three different service centres in Bangalore, and they are all the same. Well meaning, but generally not that knowledgeable. I've had to get the south zone head come and TD my car for them to acknowledge the humming sound I'd reported, and to get it resolved. But then that was a unique issue, as I said earlier.

Hope that helps.
Old 17th October 2011, 15:49   #368

Hi

I have been reading reviews on this forum of excessive vibrations of the beat diesel engine with the hood open and as to how the engine mounts etc have reduce the cabin noise. So is it a possibility the engine mounts need repair earlier compared to a 4 cylinder pot (read as Ritz?)

I am looking at a city car which eventually would become my 2nd car as i intend to own it for beyond 7 years. Any anticipation on the long term maintenance of the beat diesel, like say for 7-10 years plus? in comparison with the Swift Diesel or the figo diesel? Cost of spares part vis maruti and chevy, plus the quality between the two, plus a 3 cylinder drawback vs 4 pot engine.

My average usage would be about 1000 kms of which 600 would be in the high density Bangalore traffic.

Would it make sense to say that on the 1 lac i save on the vehicle cost (between Ritz diesel and beat diesel), i would need to spend much less than a lac to repair the (if at all any) fall outs of a 3 cylinder engine?

Any guesstimates on the comparative city driven mileages for the ritz diesel and the beat diesel? I am expecting it to be 15 vs 17kmpl?

Kartha
Old 17th October 2011, 19:05   #369
BHPian

Took a TD today:

1. Very drivable at low RPMs. Overtaking in city roads is no problem.
2. Low seating position - I am somewhat used to it with my Cedia but prefer a tall seating for city drives.
3. High dashboard position - Was not able to see the front portion at all!
4. Ride quality was decent
5. Minimal engine vibrations.
6. When I was sitting at the front with my wife driving, my legs almost touched the dashboard (I am 5'11)
7. Leg space at the back is adequate
8. Shoulder space is not as much as Figo or even Ritz

Overall a mixed package. I felt that for a 3 pot, they should have priced it 20k lower.
Old 17th October 2011, 21:24   #370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshbkartha View Post
Hi

I have been reading reviews on this forum of excessive vibrations of the beat diesel engine with the hood open and as to how the engine mounts etc have reduce the cabin noise. So is it a possibility the engine mounts need repair earlier compared to a 4 cylinder pot (read as Ritz?)

I am looking at a city car which eventually would become my 2nd car as i intend to own it for beyond 7 years. Any anticipation on the long term maintenance of the beat diesel, like say for 7-10 years plus? in comparison with the Swift Diesel or the figo diesel? Cost of spares part vis maruti and chevy, plus the quality between the two, plus a 3 cylinder drawback vs 4 pot engine.

My average usage would be about 1000 kms of which 600 would be in the high density Bangalore traffic.

Would it make sense to say that on the 1 lac i save on the vehicle cost (between Ritz diesel and beat diesel), i would need to spend much less than a lac to repair the (if at all any) fall outs of a 3 cylinder engine?

Any guesstimates on the comparative city driven mileages for the ritz diesel and the beat diesel? I am expecting it to be 15 vs 17kmpl?

Kartha
First of all, please example how does beat and ritz have a 1 lakh rupee difference? which variant to variant are you looking at?

Noways the ritz is 1lakh more than beat diesel, it is about 60-70k more.

Now coming to your point of which car suits you the best with heavy city traffic conditions and you need to retain the car for about 7 years.

Answer to your question is FORD FIGO LXI OR FIGO EXI DIESEL.
If you can wait for 6 months its worth it, santro or i10 diesel is on the cards.

Cheers
Old 18th October 2011, 10:37   #371

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post
First of all, please example how does beat and ritz have a 1 lakh rupee difference? which variant to variant are you looking at?

Noways the ritz is 1lakh more than beat diesel, it is about 60-70k more.

Now coming to your point of which car suits you the best with heavy city traffic conditions and you need to retain the car for about 7 years.

Answer to your question is FORD FIGO LXI OR FIGO EXI DIESEL.
If you can wait for 6 months its worth it, santro or i10 diesel is on the cards.

Cheers
Yes, to be precise from the quote i got from kropex & RNS (indiranagar) :
Beat Base : 521289 [Std fitment and dly chgs? = 1500+6555]
Ritz Ldi : 606843 [Extnd warranty & Incidental charges? =7060 + 5500]

Any idea if these delivery charges or incidental charges can be removed?If yes then
Beat = 513234
Ritz = 599233

Difference of about 85K.
So I think you mean to say on the diesel front the Ford is easier on the pocket in terms of long term maintenance compared to a Maruti?
And it should also be easier to drive in the bangalore traffic? I did drive both and felt ritz was a bit easier.
Old 18th October 2011, 16:16   #372
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshbkartha
So I think you mean to say on the diesel front the Ford is easier on the pocket in terms of long term maintenance compared to a Maruti?
And it should also be easier to drive in the bangalore traffic? I did drive both and felt ritz was a bit easier.
If you can stretch your budget to a Ritz, then I'd suggest the Ritz over the Beat or Figo because:

1. It is taller, you will be seated higher and hence will have a better view of traffic - important for Bangalore traffic
2. It is the well built and Practical alternative to the Swift, with comfortable ride, decent handling in city & highway manners, boot space is an average of those of the Beat and Figo, so decent enough
3. National engine, powerful, refined, frugal and fun. Also incredibly common, so will not be short of spares any time soon
4. Not as common as the swift, a couple of minor changes (good alloys and 185 section tyres) make it look cool IMHO
5. Last but not least, it is a Maruti! There are 3 service stations in my immediate area (in a 5 km radius)

My 2p, and since you've already test driven the Figo and Ritz, TD the Beat and the other two again if required in traffic and see whichever suits you better. They're all decently built and have good engines, but the Figo's USP is space though is relatively low and slightly slow, while the Beat's is efficiency and style at the cost of space and highway ability.
Old 18th October 2011, 18:34   #373

Thanks Velu and Crazy. I guess its going to be an even call between the Figo and the Ritz. I wouldnt be too interested in the interior trims as in plastics and the plush feeling. Basically need a workhorse for the next decade. So the question remains - is ford diesel or the beat diesel going to economical on maintenance in the next 10 yrs in comparison with the Swift or Ritz.
Guess this just would decide which one i would go for.
Old 18th October 2011, 20:20   #374
BHPian

Quote:
So the question remains - is ford diesel or the beat diesel going to economical on maintenance in the next 10 yrs in comparison with the Swift or Ritz.
Guess this just would decide which one i would go for.
IMHO, the best way to get feedback about Beat D is to ask the T-BHPians who owns it. Here are few ownership threads I have come acoss in T-BHP - you may interact with them for details.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...esel-here.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...t-beat-ls.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...rift-grey.html

About Figo and Ritz, there are lot of ownership reviews.

On Figo VS Ritz, you can ask Gemithomas, who has experienced both - check his thread: (he had promised for a comparo)
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...-32000-km.html

About the engine, Ritz is with a proven 4cyl Fiat engine where as Beat gets the same Fiat engine platform with 3 cyl (one cylinder cut). IMO you can expect few engine parts to be common between these two.
About Figo, please be aware of few issues faced by some of the users:
A common problem -
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...nshifting.html
Some other threads on Figo - may be one off cases! But still worth reading since you want to keep the car for 10 years.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...figo-tdci.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ford-figo.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ack-marks.html
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/techni...ightmares.html
Old 18th October 2011, 20:57   #375
BHPian

Quote:
Yes, to be precise from the quote i got from kropex & RNS (indiranagar) :
Beat Base : 521289 [Std fitment and dly chgs? = 1500+6555]
Ritz Ldi : 606843 [Extnd warranty & Incidental charges? =7060 + 5500]

Any idea if these delivery charges or incidental charges can be removed?If yes then
Beat = 513234
Ritz = 599233

Difference of about 85K.
Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
If you can stretch your budget to a Ritz, then I'd suggest the Ritz over the Beat or Figo because:

1. It is taller, you will be seated higher and hence will have a better view of traffic - important for Bangalore traffic
2. It is the well built and Practical alternative to the Swift, with comfortable ride, decent handling in city & highway manners, boot space is an average of those of the Beat and Figo, so decent enough
3. National engine, powerful, refined, frugal and fun. Also incredibly common, so will not be short of spares any time soon
4. Not as common as the swift, a couple of minor changes (good alloys and 185 section tyres) make it look cool IMHO
5. Last but not least, it is a Maruti! There are 3 service stations in my immediate area (in a 5 km radius)

My 2p, and since you've already test driven the Figo and Ritz, TD the Beat and the other two again if required in traffic and see whichever suits you better. They're all decently built and have good engines, but the Figo's USP is space though is relatively low and slightly slow, while the Beat's is efficiency and style at the cost of space and highway ability.
Hi santhoshbkartha,

Alright let me inform you that i'm a proud owner of a RITZ VDI.
My car is about 2 months old now and i've clocked 2500km within the city.

I was in the same confusion that you are in 3 months ago, you can read my ownership review for more details as to why i choose the Ritz over the Figo or beat Diesel.
http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...chocolate.html

I'm 6 feet tall, to be honest the Ritz is very comfortable for me because of the driving position, i sit up and my legs are straight, i do not feel the clutch is high for my feet, since my shoe size is 11

But, i dont think this will be the case with everybody, some people find the clutch to be a bit on the higher side and also some people find the ritz dashboard a little too huge for a hatchback.

Overall visibilty is also a little bit of an issue on the rear side because of the thick C pillars, you really need to be a good driver who drives with an eye on his rear view mirrors at all times and not just depend on the central inside mirror.

I can tell you many +ve things about the RITZ, it is a awesome car, I am very happy with it, just like your mindset i do not wish to sell this baby elephant for the next 7-8 years.

The reason why i suggested you to go for the FIGO EXI or FIGO LXI was because you said you'll use your car in heavy traffic condition most of the time. You need the small looking car like figo, the visibility is better in the figo, plus the figo engine is having very less turbo lag which will be a boon for you in congested traffic.

The ritz is too huge when it comes to driving it in heavy bumper to bumper traffic, the plus side is you'll be seated in a good posture inside, less strain on your back, i know few crazy people drive the BMW 3series or the cruze in bumper to bumper traffic, but its insane for common people like us to do so in a city like bangalore.

Overall you'll miss the Ritz on a highway or in medium traffic conditions, but you'll love the FIGO in heavy traffic conditions. Choice is yours.

Cheers

Last edited by Crazy4.Cars : 18th October 2011 at 20:58.

Most Viewed