Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 19th October 2011, 14:24   #376

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Thankyou Crazy4cars / salbin. Now thats tons of information for which I need some time to evaluate.

Salbin - you really made me aware of the Figo quality issues. I ll dig out more issues faced by the Figo.

Crazy4cars - Your post really felt like me! I should be ok with the clutch being higher and the blind spots considering my current car. Now turbo lag on a used ritz is something I have to research on. Like you said, it really makes a difference in the traffic mess that we have.
It felt like heaven when i moved over from the royal enfield Tbird after 7 years to the apache 180 abs. Traffic is now really a welcome sight.
Old 19th October 2011, 21:04   #377
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by santhoshbkartha View Post
Thankyou Crazy4cars / salbin. Now thats tons of information for which I need some time to evaluate.

Salbin - you really made me aware of the Figo quality issues. I ll dig out more issues faced by the Figo.

Crazy4cars - Your post really felt like me! I should be ok with the clutch being higher and the blind spots considering my current car. Now turbo lag on a used ritz is something I have to research on. Like you said, it really makes a difference in the traffic mess that we have.
It felt like heaven when i moved over from the royal enfield Tbird after 7 years to the apache 180 abs. Traffic is now really a welcome sight.
I just checked and found that you own a scorpio, well then you'll be fine with the Ritz mate, not much turbo lag on my brand new ritz as of now, the Bs4 version of DDiS does not have so much turbo lag.

Welcome to the Ritz Club, just a small advice, pick up a white or a silver baby elephant, do not pick up a dark colour like me like blaze blue or bakers chocolate or black, its a nightmare to get the scratch's removed and a bigger nightmare to maintain the car.
Old 20th October 2011, 13:08   #378

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post

Welcome to the Ritz Club, just a small advice, pick up a white or a silver baby elephant, do not pick up a dark colour like me like blaze blue or bakers chocolate or black, its a nightmare to get the scratch's removed and a bigger nightmare to maintain the car.
Yes i too vouch for the silver anytime. My scorp is a 6 yr old silver one. Has couple of dents on it and still no one notices these, let alone the scratches.

Am still reading and Figo is hard to let go off. Looks like I want to convince myself those are one off matters.
Maruti's hands on accessibiltiy and marginal better service works wants me to stick on to it and ofcourse the long term durability.
Beat - cos it drives great for the city traffic. I dont see anything else positive on the beat. Price - is not a major draw. Had it been 20K less for entry model, I would have owned it by now.
Old 20th October 2011, 21:15   #379
BHPian

Quote:
Yes i too vouch for the silver anytime. My scorp is a 6 yr old silver one. Has couple of dents on it and still no one notices these, let alone the scratches.

Am still reading and Figo is hard to let go off. Looks like I want to convince myself those are one off matters.
Maruti's hands on accessibiltiy and marginal better service works wants me to stick on to it and ofcourse the long term durability.
Beat - cos it drives great for the city traffic. I dont see anything else positive on the beat. Price - is not a major draw. Had it been 20K less for entry model, I would have owned it by now.

yes indeed chevy has got the pricing of the beat diesel wrong completely.

MSIL service is just not marginally better, its better by a mile trust me. Especially guys at suraksha, trinity motors etc the tier 2 service station network.

Well a couple of facts about figo which might help you decide against
buying it , but its the truth.

1) It has a 14 year old engine, 8 values, SOHC ( many people say so what? but we need to remember it is outdated technology and only euro3 emissions, the DDiS is euro 5 complaint)
2) The figo model was the Ex fiesta hatch model for ford globally between 1998-2002 i think.( Clearly its not a global model in our land, i had a client who came down from the UK, he told me this tiny little car the figo was there in our country a decade ago, i was speechless!!!)
3)No rear power windows after paying 5 or 6 lakhs for a car??
Old 21st October 2011, 23:37   #380

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy4.Cars View Post

1) It has a 14 year old engine, 8 values, SOHC ( many people say so what? but we need to remember it is outdated technology and only euro3 emissions, the DDiS is euro 5 complaint)
2) The figo model was the Ex fiesta hatch model for ford globally between 1998-2002 i think.( Clearly its not a global model in our land, i had a client who came down from the UK, he told me this tiny little car the figo was there in our country a decade ago, i was speechless!!!)
3)No rear power windows after paying 5 or 6 lakhs for a car??
Hey actually I am starting to be a lover of the old machines. I still remember asking on another scorp forum as to what M&M has bettered between the turbo - crde and mhawk engines.
* The pricing is more (hopefully being attributed to the material cost rise).
* The mileage is less or at the best not deteriorated.
* The maintenance issues are more. I got a busted clutch at 61K. ie mostly with more electronics on board.
All it seems is some refinement (read silence) and more power which on indian roads is better off not used. And the value adds like abs, airbags etc. Cant they be provided on the euro 3's and DI's?

The group veterans debated that the turbo performed better than the mhawks. And i guess their old horse the Bolero would make trouble free round trips for longer than the crdes.

Wonder what then is technology advancement?
I like the purring sound of the crude diesel engine to some extend and am thinking what would euro 3 complaint mean to me. Will the law ask me to stop using this vehicle in another 10 yrs time? Yes adding more pollution, but then the other SUV / luxury car users are equally to blame with their low mileage.
Well end of the day I too prefer a new model for some reason.

Cheers
Old 22nd October 2011, 11:21   #381
BHPian

@Santoshkbhartha swift/ritz ddis vs Figo TDCI comparison has been done to death on this forum. This is also not the right thread for that discussion since this is a beat tcdi thread.

Please see some relevant posts which should help you make an informed decision. From my personal experience with Figo (32 K kms and 1 + years) the car has been quite good. The rear squeaking issue/poor GC and the glass rolling down are the only issues that i have had to face. The rear squeaking issue was addressed and has not surfaced again. Poor GC is addressed to an extent with the correct airpressure. The glass rolling down issue is addressed with Gemi's fix.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1768728

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1769141

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...ml#post1769441

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/hatchb...-6-lacs-3.html
Old 22nd October 2011, 15:00   #382

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishnurp99 View Post
@Santoshkbhartha swift/ritz ddis vs Figo TDCI comparison has been done to death on this forum. This is also not the right thread for that discussion since this is a beat tcdi thread.
Sure and thanks for all the information.
So yes decision taken on the beat thread , am not going to take the Beat. I again went to the showroom 4 days back on 100 ft indiranagar Kropex and they agreed to call me back once the TD vehicle was available.

Guess they dont have a TD car!
Old 5th November 2011, 16:11   #383
BANNED

Quote:
Sure and thanks for all the information.
So yes decision taken on the beat thread , am not going to take the Beat. I again went to the showroom 4 days back on 100 ft indiranagar Kropex and they agreed to call me back once the TD vehicle was available.

Guess they dont have a TD car!
Beat TCDI is the "Right Choice Baby". Trust me as I have experienced 1100Kms of wonder driving this beauty'
Old 6th November 2011, 12:13   #384
BHPian

Everyone, just finished my 5000km service for my Beat-D LT(o) yesterday. Apart from the regular checklist stuff for the service they also did a ECU remap and some minor wiring stuff (locking and clamping wires away) in the engine bay bay based on feedback they have received.

I was not able to get much information about what the ECU remap was meant to achieve and i have not driven it enough yet after the service to notice any drastic changes. Will update shortly

FE wise - so far lowest was 16.6 in purely city driving and a max of 20kmpl with mixed city and highway driving.
Old 10th November 2011, 16:05   #385
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by kapursaket View Post
Beat TCDI is the "Right Choice Baby". Trust me as I have experienced 1100Kms of wonder driving this beauty'
First inspection @ 1000Km at Regent Auto Service Center in Okhla New Delhi was a cake walk. A mix of city and Highway Driving is clocking F.E. of 21.6Km/L.. Surely no one can Beat the Beat!!!!!
Old 14th November 2011, 06:29   #386
BHPian

Hi Team,

Did a small test drive of the Beat Diesel yesterday. This was the second diesel car I've driven till date the first one being Tata Indica V2.

I must say, I did like the car very much, I feel it is very easy to drive in city and can easly chug along in the bumper - bumper traffic by controlling the clutch alone. From the space perspective, I was plesantly surprised to see the space in the back row.

I have decided to go for the PS (base) version of the beat in Red color. I was told by Trident Chevrolet, Jayanagar guys that the waiting period for PS and LS is currently 25 - 30 days.

Need some help / guidance from you guys on the payment front:
- The sales representative asked me to pay 15k - 20k as the booking amount and the remaining amount completely (I'm going for cash down purchase) once the car is in transit.

Does it work like this everywhere? I am a bit skeptical in paying him the full amount without doing the PDI of the car, am i being unreasonable .

Is there anything else that I need to ensure before making the payment?

I'll keep you guys posted on the developments.

Thanks for all your inputs in advance.

Regards,
CT
Old 15th November 2011, 18:33   #387
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Hi Team,

Did a small test drive of the Beat Diesel yesterday. This was the second diesel car I've driven till date the first one being Tata Indica V2.
=================
Thanks for all your inputs in advance.

Regards,
CT
Boss you will not repent on your decision of Beat Diesel. Please do not make full payment before PDI and convince them to ship the stock on token advance. Moreover you are not being billed directly by GM from Talegaon plant hence logic of payment on shipment is not valid, dealer wants to use your money.

PS is a budget varient but minus some essentials e.g. Central Locking, Tinted Glasses, Left Door OVRM, Wafle Tray, Front Grille Chrome etc.

Give a cool thought to PS.......makes sense.

Last edited by Jaggu : 17th November 2011 at 16:04. Reason: Please avoid Quoting entire large posts. Thanks
Old 16th November 2011, 19:07   #388
BHPian

I took a small test drive of the Beat while i had gone to get my Spark serviced. Liked everything about this car, but the second i sat in the rear seat it was a total turn off. While the space was adequate the windows were very tiny and unpleasant. Not sure why everyone Beat owner has overlooked this aspect. If not for that, felt it to be a very nice car.
Old 16th November 2011, 19:54   #389
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tckanth View Post
Need some help / guidance from you guys on the payment front:
- The sales representative asked me to pay 15k - 20k as the booking amount and the remaining amount completely (I'm going for cash down purchase) once the car is in transit.

Does it work like this everywhere? I am a bit skeptical in paying him the full amount without doing the PDI of the car, am i being unreasonable
Yes, you are. Don't worry, you ARE supposed to make the FULL payment when the car is in transit. Please don't worry about this - you can always do PDI before registering the car - please let those guys know it before hand. Also tell them that if you find anything wrong with the car, you will need a replacement.

Quote:
Moreover you are not being billed directly by GM from Talegaon plant
True - the car will be billed to the dealership and they need to make the complete payment before the car is loaded into the truck, AFAIK.

Quote:
dealer wants to use your money.
How?? Usually transit time is around 2 weeks and how much fortune does the dealer make in two weeks, by taking the full amount?? It's a normal procedure that the customers need to make full payment when the car is in transit.

Last edited by swiftnfurious : 16th November 2011 at 19:56.
Old 16th November 2011, 20:39   #390
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
Yes, you are. Don't worry, you ARE supposed to make the FULL payment when the car is in transit. Please don't worry about this - you can always do PDI before registering the car - please let those guys know it before hand. Also tell them that if you find anything wrong with the car, you will need a replacement.
I dont think so. You are NOT "supposed" to pay while the car in transit. You can insist that you will pay only after being satisfied with the PDI. Once you pay the full amount, you dont have any bargaining power with the dealer - what if the car fails PDI ?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks