Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th January 2012, 11:21   #406
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

My Beat D's mileage figures remain constant from day one. I have done about 10k in the past 3 months. nothing more than 16 in Bangalore City traffic and nothing more than 21 in highway for average driving & road conditions.
Old 17th January 2012, 22:34   #407
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
My Beat D's mileage figures remain constant from day one. I have done about 10k in the past 3 months. nothing more than 16 in Bangalore City traffic and nothing more than 21 in highway for average driving & road conditions.
Those are pretty good FE figures, especially the City figures for Bangalore traffic. Where do you usually drive, and is that during office hours or off-peak hours?

More indicative would be the minimum or average FE in the City, as that is where these cars will spend most of their lives.

I haven't heard anything negative about the Beat Diesel from owners apart from the lack of space in the rear and boot. Seems like a pretty well built car. How is it handling the 3cyl diesel engine? Any rattles?
Old 18th January 2012, 10:42   #408
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post
Those are pretty good FE figures, especially the City figures for Bangalore traffic. Where do you usually drive, and is that during office hours or off-peak hours?

More indicative would be the minimum or average FE in the City, as that is where these cars will spend most of their lives.

I haven't heard anything negative about the Beat Diesel from owners apart from the lack of space in the rear and boot. Seems like a pretty well built car. How is it handling the 3cyl diesel engine? Any rattles?
Weekdays, I commute to office from Bellandur to Whitefield. Regular office hours. On and off I leave early and however, I am stuck in the evenings in Outer Ring Road. Weekends, if I am in town, somehow it runs about ~100 to 150 kms in 2 days.

Like I said, in city tankful method it gives ~15 - 16 kmpl on average. It consumes about 29-30 liters after low fuel warning, strictly in city I get a range about ~450 - 470 kms. Does this help?

To answer your second part- well, It drives alright. No erratic sounds from doors or any unnecessary vibrations. I don't have any specific complaints. The only complaint that I have is, it's actually a pain to drive in the city and visibility is poor.
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th January 2012, 23:25   #409
Team-BHP Support

Looks like the Beat diesel has got some engine upgrades. The FE has shot up to 25.44kmpl from earlier 24kmpl making the Beat diesel the most fuel efficient diesel in India which Beat(s) the Tata indigo eCS mileage of 25kmpl.

http://www.autocarindia.com/News/288...cient-now.aspx
Old 26th January 2012, 00:06   #410
BHPian

This is a 3 cylinder engine, right? Just like a Polo and a Fabia. They are bound to be fuel efficient. I did notice this morning that the Beat diesel did not have the VW/Skoda engine clatter. I wonder why.
Old 26th January 2012, 22:45   #411
Senior - BHPian

While driving the Beat diesel today, I noticed a symbol popped up for a few seconds in the display panel on Dash board. It resembled Petrol pump sign and next to it, 3 droplets of rain. Does it mean I need to check oil or something?

EDIT: Got it. RTFM! It means the water level has reached to top, and if it remains ON while engine running too, then I need to visit the SC for draining the water.

Last edited by ani_meher : 26th January 2012 at 22:58.
Old 26th January 2012, 22:50   #412
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
While driving the Beat diesel today, I noticed a symbol popped up for a few seconds in the display panel on Dash board. It resembled Petrol pump sign and next to it, 3 droplets of rain. Does it mean I need to check oil or something?
It means there's water in the diesel filter. You need to get the water pumped out at the service centre. Water in diesel can be due to adulterated diesel or just condensation over time. since your car is probably not that old it's probably due to very poor diesel quality where you tanked up.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th January 2012, 10:49   #413
Senior - BHPian

Thanks Vid6639 One more FYI for future owners. I bought the Belkin 200W AC anywhere system, and then started wondering whether the car comes with a power socket or not! So this is for documentation: Beat Diesel PS has a power port in front! Not too much of an informative post, but I wanted this information to be documented somewhere. I couldn't find it anywhere online.
Old 27th January 2012, 11:20   #414
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
The only complaint that I have is, it's actually a pain to drive in the city and visibility is poor.
Could you please elaborate on this point? I'm considering a diesel hatch and the Beat is one of the contenders.

Is it the A-pillars or the high dashboard that affects visibility? Or is it while reversing?

I did TD a Beat a couple of months ago, and I found the clutch to be a wee bit high, causing me to lift my knee to press the clucth, unlike other cars where I only have to stretch my left leg.
Old 28th January 2012, 00:18   #415
BHPian

Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

So this is my first thread and I am already bogged down with so many queries. Can't really tell how much assistance do i need here from you guys.

I recently met with a small accident while in my Alto and ended up paying odd 22K (even after full comprehensive insurance. Blame the depreciation figures). More than the damage, I am now concerned about the safety so I am on the lookout for a new car. Incidentally the petrol prices have shot up to the sky and the longing to have a diesel vehicle has intensified.

Now I won't take you guys back to the same old Beat/Figo/Ritz comparison since I've already developed the fixation for the Beat. Went for the TD today and was more or less convinced that this car could keep me afloat for at least 5 years (the time frame I am looking at, before I buy a sedan). The trouble now is about the selection of the variant, where I want some suggestions.

Here is my brief analysis for the three variants I am looking at:

The top end LT (O) version:
=====================

(+)
* Safety features (ABS/Dual Airbags)
* Steel Radials

(-)
* Added expense after airbags inflate (Now I don't know how this thing works. In brief the guy told me that once the airbags come out, the dashboard needs to be replace)
* Additional 50K over LT

The middle way, LT version:
=====================
(+)
* Saves me 50K
* Huge value over the LS version (rear defogger/washer, roof rails, rear spoiler, rear power windows, ACC, inbuilt stereo etc)

(-)
* The ACC is good but the stock music system, in fact the whole dash, looks very flashy with all those "chakmak" blue lights, which can't even be updated.

* Glossy trims - My biggest disappointment. Would get scratched easily (my kid loves to showcase his doodling skills).

The cheapest option, the LS version:
===========================
(+)
* Saves me another 50K over the LT version.
* No stereo so I can choose HU of my choice - Biggest positive for me.
* Matt finish dashboard - Biggest positive for my wife

(-)
* Hugely lacks in features (No rear spoiler, fog lights, rear power windows, body colored ORVMs, rear defogger/washer, ACC)

Now the major confusion is around:

1) "glossy trims" which I am sure would get scratched easily. In fact the display piece at the showroom was such a turn off, ever after everything was of ace quality. I don't know if I should be able to use some kind of matte tape on them (the contours would make sure that aftermarket attempts look ugly).

2) "stock music system/dash" which looks too awkward for my liking. I sure can make do with the stock things, if the above point is somehow taken care of but still attempting to scale up the stock system would be a bigger pain, it seems.

Coming to questions for the TBHP gurus:
1) Whats the deal with the air bags ? Are they one time use only ? And does this "one time use" mean huge rework ?

2) Is there a way to somehow avoid scratches on the glossy trims (other than not using the car :P) Is any beat LT owner feeling the pinch ?

3) What do you guys suggest between LT and LS ? I like the freedom to choose have the HU of my own but at the same time hate the stuff I'll loose if I move to the LS option. Retrofitting the Spoiler, Fog Lamps and ORVMs themselves amount for half the price difference and then you still loose on Automatic Climate Control and some other niche features.

4) Any suggestions about the alloys (if I choose the LT/LS version). The dealer said that they can fit the alloys which are used in LT(O) version for additional 16000 (and also that I can sell the stock rims in the outside market, which I don't think they'll sell for a decent amount).

5) Any other feedback that you guys might wanna share or want to comment considering the whole scenario ?

I would be watching this space very closely since I need to make up my mind this weekend itself.

Kindly comment/share your views generously. More viewpoints would help me make a more informed decision.
Old 28th January 2012, 05:44   #416
Senior - BHPian

re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Yes Airbags are one time use only, but when they get used you thank your stars that they were there for you to be able to either repair the car or buy a new one later. In other words yes the expense to repair is high but guess what its the cost you pay for your life, and suddenly ~50k looks way cheaper isn't it .

I would recommend to go with the top version as you can still live with the scratched surface, or the not so lovely music system.
Old 28th January 2012, 06:41   #417
BHPian

re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Since you have not disclosed the nature of your drives it may be difficult to answer your query.

Presuming that there would be some amount of highway driving, IMHO you should go for the LT (O) model if you are strictly not on a budget.

Airbags are no doubt life savers and the repairing costs which you have mentioned are worth every penny.

You must keep in mind that it is in few countries like India where cars without airbags are allowed to ply on the roads.

I have driven a LT model (without airbags) and IMHO the additional items like rear wiper, automatic climate control and the glossy finish make the car look like a car two segments above the beat.

So if you can afford the top end LT (O) model go for it.
Old 28th January 2012, 07:12   #418
BHPian

I would suggest you to go for the top end with ABS and Airbags if you are not on a very strict budget, both can save lives and avoid serious injuries. You wont regret it and may feel safer driving the car. IMO, LT(O)'s interior is better than some premium segments.

Last edited by RIC.BURNS : 28th January 2012 at 07:13.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:26   #419
Team-BHP Support

You've listed safety as one of the 2 reasons why you are on the lookout for a car; and if that's what you leave out in the new car, it doesn't really make sense, right?

Given your apprehensions, it's best you go for LT(O).

Yes, 1set of Airbags is one-time use only; and you spend a decent amount getting them replaced. But there's a reason why you have them in the first place. The safety aspect they bring in is a big deal.

Having said this; if you still are in doubt, you should either go in for LS or LT(O). All the features in LT (except ACC) can be retrofitted anytime and given that you aren't happy with the OEM ICE in LT, you have the freedom to change it.

So, LT(O) if safety wins; and LS if VFM is what you're looking for.
Old 28th January 2012, 09:39   #420
Team-BHP Support

Re: Tremendous confusin: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post

1) Whats the deal with the air bags ? Are they one time use only ? And does this "one time use" mean huge rework ?
Yes, they are one time use. However, realize that without airbags, in the event of a head on collision, the 2 people at the front might not live to see another day.

Replacing the airbags does cost a bomb, but you are talking about replacing something after they have done their job of life-saving in a fatal accident. It is not a recurring expense or maintenance expense so I would suggest you invest this little bit extra for that peace of mind over safety.

Quote:
2) Is there a way to somehow avoid scratches on the glossy trims (other than not using the car :P) Is any beat LT owner feeling the pinch ?
I didn't get what is this confusion about "Glossy trim" and scratches. I don't think they are that brittle / weak to get worn out quickly. Which part is it that you are referring to? I know 2 people who have Beats and small kids, and have never heard them complaining about this anytime.

Quote:
3) What do you guys suggest between LT and LS ? I like the freedom to choose have the HU of my own but at the same time hate the stuff I'll loose if I move to the LS option. Retrofitting the Spoiler, Fog Lamps and ORVMs themselves amount for half the price difference and then you still loose on Automatic Climate Control and some other niche features.
I would pick LT(O) any day for the airbags, alloys and ABS. These are things that you cannot retrofit on a lower variant (barring alloys).

ICE(audio system) is a relatively simple modification and wouldn't take much effort to fit anything of your choice, even on the LT(O). You can always upgrade the HU / Speakers whenever you want, to the make/model you like.

Quote:
4) Any suggestions about the alloys (if I choose the LT/LS version). The dealer said that they can fit the alloys which are used in LT(O) version for additional 16000 (and also that I can sell the stock rims in the outside market, which I don't think they'll sell for a decent amount).
There are lots of 3rd party alloy wheel manufacturers you can choose from, if you don't like the current alloy design on the LT(O) variant. Some relatively cheap ones I can think of are Lenso, Plati and neowheels. Try to bargain with the showroom's accessory division itself - most of the times they will have tie-ups with some accessories' dealer for these things, and you should be able to bargain for a good discount. The stock rims won't fetch you more than 500 a piece (usually)

Quote:
5) Any other feedback that you guys might wanna share or want to comment considering the whole scenario ?
Try to upgrade the tyres if possible. The stock-size of 155/70R14 is way too skinny to give adequate grip at highway speeds.

Last edited by suhaas307 : 28th January 2012 at 10:42. Reason: Edited as requested. Somehow, the word 'dimension' didn't fit in IMO. hope this is okay?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks