Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 28th January 2012, 22:12   #436
BHPian

Re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Good Lord, doesn't the Cruze have EBD with ABS? I thought all cars with ABS do. My Fiesta does have both.
Having ABS and EBD does not suffice since EBD only caters for front to rear wheel control and not individual wheel control. Please google for EBD. Its an absolute must to have individual wheel control if you have ABS+EBD which I realized the hard way. The Ford has ABS and EBD but I am not sure it has four corner control without which ABS+EBD will help you only on well laid express ways and not other more oft traveled roads and especially on roads with a prominent crown. On such roads ABS sans individual four corner control is disaster and not a boon. I would any day take airbags over ABS for Indian roads and the condition they are in. Braking with two wheels on the shoulder and two wheels on good tarmac is a disaster waiting to happen. Your stopping distance with left wheels on the shoulder increase drastically when ABS kicks in.

Read the fourth line under the heading OPERATION which is the most important part "reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake at the affected wheel" in other words Individual wheel control with release valves for each wheel. I wonder how many cars in India have it.
Anti-lock braking system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia

Last edited by drpullockaran : 28th January 2012 at 22:17.
drpullockaran is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th January 2012, 22:22   #437
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tremendous confusion: Beat Diesel LS vs LT vs LT(O). Need to buy in a week's time

Quote:
Originally Posted by drpullockaran View Post
Having ABS and EBD does not suffice since EBD only caters for front to rear wheel control and not individual wheel control. Please google for EBD. Its an absolute must to have individual wheel control if you have ABS+EBD which I realized the hard way. The Ford has ABS and EBD but I am not sure it has four corner control without which ABS+EBD will help you only on well laid express ways and not other more oft traveled roads and especially on roads with a prominent crown. On such roads ABS sans individual four corner control is disaster and not a boon. I would any day take airbags over ABS for Indian roads and the condition they are in. Braking with two wheels on the shoulder and two wheels on good tarmac is a disaster waiting to happen. Your stopping distance with left wheels on the shoulder increase drastically when ABS kicks in.

Read the fourth line under the heading OPERATION which is the most important part "reduce hydraulic pressure to the brake at the affected wheel" in other words Individual wheel control with release valves for each wheel. I wonder how many cars in India have it.
Anti-lock braking system - Wikipedia, the free encyclopedia
I am not sure where to get information about what cars in India have 4- corner control. I guess most D segment and above cars will have it.
Old 29th January 2012, 21:01   #438
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Just came back from a visit to Reliance Automart, Gurgaon. Went there primarily to have a look at the alloy wheels they have in stock. Well, they only have one brand "NEO" and this guy quoted me 15K for set of four. These come with lifetime crack warranty.

Additionally checked for the Yokohama A Drive and Michellin Energy XM1+ 175/65 R14 tyres. I was quoted 4200 and 4700 for them, respectively. The guy was even ready to buy back the stock rims for a measly 250 bucks per rim.

So over to you guys again, I sure would want better tyres for added comfort and braking capabilities but I am unsure of the trade offs. Reduced fuel efficiency ? reduced traction ? Help me understand.

Also are those rims advisable ? Any suggestions on better rims under 20K ? Is the 175/65 R14 advisable ? One of the local tyre guys was worried that the 175 would touch the sides of beat. Anyone using beat with the 175 tyres ?
Old 30th January 2012, 12:00   #439
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SushantV View Post
Just came back from a visit to Reliance Automart, Gurgaon. Went there primarily to have a look at the alloy wheels they have in stock. Well, they only have one brand "NEO" and this guy quoted me 15K for set of four. These come with lifetime crack warranty.

Additionally checked for the Yokohama A Drive and Michellin Energy XM1+ 175/65 R14 tyres. I was quoted 4200 and 4700 for them, respectively. The guy was even ready to buy back the stock rims for a measly 250 bucks per rim.

So over to you guys again, I sure would want better tyres for added comfort and braking capabilities but I am unsure of the trade offs. Reduced fuel efficiency ? reduced traction ? Help me understand.

Also are those rims advisable ? Any suggestions on better rims under 20K ? Is the 175/65 R14 advisable ? One of the local tyre guys was worried that the 175 would touch the sides of beat. Anyone using beat with the 175 tyres ?
I own a beat D, LT. I was quoted 19k for the OEM chevy beat alloys - 4 of them in Blr. And the stock tubeless goodyear tyres are not all that bad. I have driven over 10k in 3 months on highways, city & ghats and it rides alright.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:14   #440
BHPian

Quote:
One of the local tyre guys was worried that the 175 would touch the sides of beat. Anyone using beat with the 175 tyres ?
I dont think 175 is a problem on the Beat. Check out the garage of the person who goes by the handle AutoFreak. I think the 175 upgrade is a must.
Just to let you know, his car is a Petrol Beat.
Anything higher than 175 then you will need to get the rims changed.

I am myself thinking of getting 175's sometime soon.

EDIT: of course, a tyre upgrade is more of a necessity on the petrol Beat since it comes undershod with 155's.

Last edited by superutp : 30th January 2012 at 12:25.
Old 30th January 2012, 12:23   #441
Senior - BHPian

Tyre upgrade for Beat petrol seems proper, because the car is very visibly undertyred. But Diesel one comes with good pairs of shoes of 165 size, and I feel one can use it till 20-30k before changing them to slightly bigger ones.
Old 30th January 2012, 17:24   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
I own a beat D, LT. I was quoted 19k for the OEM chevy beat alloys - 4 of them in Blr. And the stock tubeless goodyear tyres are not all that bad. I have driven over 10k in 3 months on highways, city & ghats and it rides alright.
My dealer is asking for 16K for the four wheel replacement. But for that money I'd rather buy aftermarket alloys. Just that I'll miss out on the Chevy logo on the alloys.

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I dont think 175 is a problem on the Beat. Check out the garage of the person who goes by the handle AutoFreak. I think the 175 upgrade is a must.
Just to let you know, his car is a Petrol Beat.
Anything higher than 175 then you will need to get the rims changed.

I am myself thinking of getting 175's sometime soon.

EDIT: of course, a tyre upgrade is more of a necessity on the petrol Beat since it comes undershod with 155's.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ani_meher View Post
Tyre upgrade for Beat petrol seems proper, because the car is very visibly undertyred. But Diesel one comes with good pairs of shoes of 165 size, and I feel one can use it till 20-30k before changing them to slightly bigger ones.
Actually I would want to be done with all the major changes right now since after a while, I won't be able to get good value for my new tyres (this would mean I stick with the stock tyres for good 3-4 years).

So the follow up questions are:
1) Can I just upgrade the tyres only, without changing the rims ? The LT version doesn't come with the alloys.
2) Shall I change all the rims or just 4, as is the general practice ? For a couple of grands more it might be huge inconvenience, if I get a flat tyre at some odd place (considering the stock tyres would b 165 vs 175 to which I intend to upgrade to).
3) Can someone point to a reliable alloy wheel store in Gurgaon, where I can get decent RIMs under 20K ?
Old 30th January 2012, 18:04   #443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Additionally checked for the Yokohama A Drive and Michellin Energy XM1+ 175/65 R14 tyres. I was quoted 4200 and 4700 for them, respectively.

Go For Michelin energy if possible. They produce almost zero noise and the ride feels ultra smooth.
Wider tyres would result in slightly reduced fuel efficiency. They would however improve the steering feedback a bit.

Quote:
My dealer is asking for 16K for the four wheel replacement. But for that money I'd rather buy aftermarket alloys. Just that I'll miss out on the Chevy logo on the alloys.
For some of your previous questions, there are a couple of interesting posts on this thread

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/tyre-a...affect-fe.html

Quote:
Actually I would want to be done with all the major changes right now since after a while, I won't be able to get good value for my new tyres (this would mean I stick with the stock tyres for good 3-4 years).

So the follow up questions are:
1) Can I just upgrade the tyres only, without changing the rims ?
Yes you can. As long as you stick to tyres with the same rim diameter and within acceptable values for your rim specifications. I think the stock rims should be able to take 175/65R14 if your stock size was 155/65R14.

Quote:
2) Shall I change all the rims or just 4, as is the general practice ? For a couple of grands more it might be huge inconvenience, if I get a flat tyre at some odd place (considering the stock tyres would b 165 vs 175 to which I intend to upgrade to).
I would say change all 5 tyres to 175/65R14 (or whatever you intend to change to) and get 4 X 14" alloys. Retain the 14" rim for the spare wheel if you want to save that money. If you feel rich, get all 5 alloys

Last edited by KarthikK : 30th January 2012 at 18:12.
Old 30th January 2012, 18:17   #444
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by KarthikK View Post
I would say change all 5 tyres to 175/65R14 (or whatever you intend to change to) and get 4 X 14" alloys. Retain the 14" rim for the spare wheel if you want to save that money. If you feel rich, get all 5 alloys
If I may suggest, upsize / upgrade all tyres to the same profile & go for all 5 alloy wheels. This will help when you want to do proper tyre rotations [including the spare wheel] every 5K kms. Doing alignment & rotation religiously can save the tyre life by 20% or so. So whatever you invest in these, cam be recovered during the life of the car.

But if you are running short of money, even 4 alloy wheels will suffice, but make are you have all the 5 tyres of the same sizes.
swiftnfurious is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th January 2012, 18:30   #445
BHPian

I am already stretched but this looks like a worthy upgrade so I'll shell out the extra dough for the alloys and the XM1+s.

BTW I got a final on-road quote of 564310/-. Does that sound reasonable for the LT version ? It includes 3M RE-50 on four windows, Auto cop XS key-less entry and under-body coating with 5 yr warranty.

The dealer is ultra "kanjoos" and I could extract just free mudflaps and floor mats.

On the suggestion from "superutp", I checked autofreak's garage and liked that fact that he got stock alloys. They look good.

Would you guys suggest getting the rims from the dealer itself ? The stock rims with Chevrolet logo, I mean. Looks lot more elegant.
Old 30th January 2012, 18:57   #446
BHPian

Quote:
I am already stretched but this looks like a worthy upgrade so I'll shell out the extra dough for the alloys and the XM1+s.

On the suggestion from "superutp", I checked autofreak's garage and liked that fact that he got stock alloys. They look good.

Would you guys suggest getting the rims from the dealer itself ? The stock rims with Chevrolet logo, I mean. Looks lot more elegant.
Autofreak painted the stock Beat alloys matte black, giving it a different look.

Do you mean the stock Beat alloys with the Chevy logo? I would actually go for an aftermarket ones based on my choice, but yes its based on your preference. The stock ones dont look too bad either.

So are you planning to get tyres upgraded to 175's and also get alloys?
Old 30th January 2012, 19:01   #447
BHPian

I am seeing that things would overshoot my budget. Can I install the upsized tyres (XM1+) on the stock rims ? Would it be suggested? I can probably hop in the alloys sometime later.
Old 30th January 2012, 20:22   #448
BHPian

Quote:
So are you planning to get tyres upgraded to 175's and also get alloys?
I'd want to upgrade the tyres for sure since I won't be able to sell the stock tyres, if I use them now. The idea is to get the tyres replaced by some better ones, for sure and if budget permits, I'll get the new alloys as well.

The dealer quoted 20K for 5 alloys and add to it the incremental cost of tyres, I am talking about odd 33K for the upgrades. Kind of makes me feel uncomfortable now, for the "small" car I am buying
Old 30th January 2012, 21:53   #449
BHPian

Quote:
I'd want to upgrade the tyres for sure since I won't be able to sell the stock tyres, if I use them now. The idea is to get the tyres replaced by some better ones, for sure and if budget permits, I'll get the new alloys as well.

The dealer quoted 20K for 5 alloys and add to it the incremental cost of tyres, I am talking about odd 33K for the upgrades. Kind of makes me feel uncomfortable now, for the "small" car I am buying
If there are budget restrains then I think you should just upgrade to 175 XM1+'s and keep stock non-alloy rims. Though upgrading from 155 (on Beat Petrol) to 175 is a bigger jump than from 165 (on the diesel) to 175's. So I am not sure how big of a difference it will make on your diesel beat.

But then If I could choose either tyre upgrade or alloys, I would choose the former. btw, what colour is your beat? and how much are you getting for the stock tyres? just for your reference, from what I have enquired, a 1k + used stock tyre wont fetch more than 600 bucks for each tyre. New ones would fetch a max of 1.5k. But this is probably because the 155's on the Beat Petrol is not found in any other car.

Last edited by superutp : 30th January 2012 at 21:55.
Old 31st January 2012, 12:32   #450
BHPian

Quote:
what colour is your beat? and how much are you getting for the stock tyres? just for your reference, from what I have enquired, a 1k + used stock tyre wont fetch more than 600 bucks for each tyre. New ones would fetch a max of 1.5k. But this is probably because the 155's on the Beat Petrol is not found in any other car.
I am thinking of getting the Sandrift grey. I wanted to have a white one but my wife is insisting on the grey.

I have talked to two tyre dealers and they are willing to buy back the stock tyres at odd 2000 per tyre (the final priice would depend on the make of the tyre). And I am talking about stock Beat Diesel tyres which are 165/70 R14.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks