Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 5th March 2012, 14:35   #481
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Ran my beat diesel Pune Mumbai Pune over the weekend. Mileage is above 20 for mostly city driving and highway speeds upto 100.

While coming back, tested 140 kmph on the speedo Really surprising for such a small engine. But later settled to a sedate 100kmph speed. Lets see the ramifications on the mileage now.

In Pimpri in peak traffic, a stupid xylo rear ended the car :( Thank God for the 5kmph safe bumpers, there is only a slight brusing of color, and zero dents. But my rear view camera is now off. Have to go visit the shop for hopefully reconnection and no repair in the camera.
Old 5th March 2012, 15:13   #482

Here you go, this is a quick-fix job; all photos were taken using my phone in my office car park, so please excuse the image quality - I will upload better pics later.

The idiots at Kropex did not have left-hand outside view mirrors in stock (kind of acceptable) and not even floor mats (unacceptable)!

The tyres are Bridgestone Sports Tourer MY-01. I'd gone to Madhus with the intention of buying Michelin Energy XM1 or Yoko A-drives. The Michelins and A-drives weren't available in 185/60 (although available in Yoko ES-1 or some such series).

The guy at Madhus suggested the Bridgestone tyres, said they had good feedback about these and so I went with his advice.

Bought the alloys from Madhus as well - 14" Neo - I was dissuaded from buying 15" for the Beat! I could discern an immediate improvement in braking after upgrading the tyres.

The stereo is a Pioneer (forgot the model no. - comes with Bluetooth and cost me Rs.8000-odd), the front 2 speakers are MA Audio and the ones at the rear are standard Pioneer co-axial speakers. I'm happy with the sound quality.
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20120305-14.46.15.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20120305-14.46.30.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20120305-14.47.15.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20120305-14.50.05.jpg  

Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-20120305-14.51.34.jpg  

MitsubishiEvo is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th March 2012, 20:16   #483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post

The tyres are Bridgestone Sports Tourer MY-01. I'd gone to Madhus with the intention of buying Michelin Energy XM1 or Yoko A-drives. The Michelins and A-drives weren't available in 185/60 (although available in Yoko ES-1 or some such series).

The guy at Madhus suggested the Bridgestone tyres, said they had good feedback about these and so I went with his advice.

Bought the alloys from Madhus as well - 14" Neo - I was dissuaded from buying 15" for the Beat! I could discern an immediate improvement in braking after upgrading the tyres.

Nicee, 185's look massive and improves the stance a lot. How about a pic or two from straight on-both rear and front. Also want to see how much the tyres protrude out.

And would you mind sharing the cost for the tyres and alloys?
Old 9th March 2012, 16:42   #484
Senior - BHPian

I have noticed a TCDI at the service center with mild green tinted glass. It's not the film that you put on, but the tint is integrated to the glass - like the one on top of the windshield for many cars. Is this a feature on the TCDI alone? I didn't find it on the petrol sister.
Old 14th March 2012, 13:29   #485
BHPian

Did a Trivandrum - Ernakulam drive last sunday to attend a colleague's wedding

Mileage calculated via tank full method , was constantly cruising at speeds of 60-80 kph

Total distance covered - 513 Km

Fuel Consumed - 23.4 L

Mileage - 21.92 kpl , AC 60%

This is the best mileage figures i have achieved
crazybiker46 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th March 2012, 16:22   #486
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
I have noticed a TCDI at the service center with mild green tinted glass. It's not the film that you put on, but the tint is integrated to the glass - like the one on top of the windshield for many cars. Is this a feature on the TCDI alone? I didn't find it on the petrol sister.
I have noticed this green tint in the diesel as well. Funny why it isn't available for the Petrol version?
Old 19th March 2012, 14:03   #487

Quote:
Originally Posted by superutp View Post
I have noticed this green tint in the diesel as well. Funny why it isn't available for the Petrol version?
The greenish tint is available on the top-end diesel - LT version. The versions below this (diesel or petrol) do not sport the tinted glass. I asked the rep about it and he mentioned that there is a special coating on the glass to reduce heat for the LT and above versions.
Old 19th March 2012, 22:05   #488
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by krisfpa View Post
The greenish tint is available on the top-end diesel - LT version. The versions below this (diesel or petrol) do not sport the tinted glass. I asked the rep about it and he mentioned that there is a special coating on the glass to reduce heat for the LT and above versions.
So its only the Diesel LT and LT(o), because my Petrol LT did not come with it. Strange
Old 27th March 2012, 15:22   #489

Quote:
Nicee, 185's look massive and improves the stance a lot. How about a pic or two from straight on-both rear and front. Also want to see how much the tyres protrude out.

And would you mind sharing the cost for the tyres and alloys?
Hey SuperUTP, sorry for the delay; I've been busy.

4 alloys cost me 16k and 4 tyres cost 11k (I got 2k for each OEM tyre, so the cost of the Bridgestones was actually 19k).

I'm attaching another pic of the tyres so you can see how much they protrude...hope this helps.

Cheers!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-beat.jpg  

MitsubishiEvo is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th March 2012, 20:10   #490
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MitsubishiEvo View Post
Hey SuperUTP, sorry for the delay; I've been busy.

4 alloys cost me 16k and 4 tyres cost 11k (I got 2k for each OEM tyre, so the cost of the Bridgestones was actually 19k).

I'm attaching another pic of the tyres so you can see how much they protrude...hope this helps.

Cheers!
Thanks Evo for the pic. 2k buyback is a sweet deal! But why only 4 tyres? Does that mean you have retained the 165's as your spare tyre?
Also what size are your 14" alloys?

Really like the Beat on 185's. Though on my Petrol they'll probably re-murder the FE

P:S: please do upload better quality pics whenever you have the time

Last edited by superutp : 27th March 2012 at 20:12.
Old 29th March 2012, 21:51   #491
Senior - BHPian

Beat owners,

A colleague of mine took delivery of a new Beat diesel today. The showroom guy tried to sell him a new push-button security feature for 34 K.

He was told they will replace the starter key hole with the push button and two door lock slots with new ones that are compatible with the new key. The dickey however would open with the original key (painful).

In addition to all the functions offered by the stock system in the Cruze ltz, this also comes with a control card (as big as a credit card), from where one can disable fuel supply to the car remotely (in case your car is forcibly taken away from you), and the alarm is supposedly burglar-proof.

I think it is made by a third party vendor, but I told him not to opt for it as there are no reviews, and also because it was too darn expensive. He is going in for normal Auto Cops remote locking.

BTW, I was surprised that the top end LT-O model does not have electrically-controlled ORVMs, nor does it have remote-locking.
Old 30th March 2012, 08:41   #492
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vnabhi View Post
Beat owners,

A colleague of mine took delivery of a new Beat diesel today. The showroom guy tried to sell him a new push-button security feature for 34 K.

He was told they will replace the starter key hole with the push button and two door lock slots with new ones that are compatible with the new key. The dickey however would open with the original key (painful).

In addition to all the functions offered by the stock system in the Cruze ltz, this also comes with a control card (as big as a credit card), from where one can disable fuel supply to the car remotely (in case your car is forcibly taken away from you), and the alarm is supposedly burglar-proof.

I think it is made by a third party vendor, but I told him not to opt for it as there are no reviews, and also because it was too darn expensive. He is going in for normal Auto Cops remote locking.

BTW, I was surprised that the top end LT-O model does not have electrically-controlled ORVMs, nor does it have remote-locking.
34k good thing you told your colleague not to go for it.

Yes, absence of electrically-controlled ORVM, remote locking and height-adjustable seats are surprising omissions. To keep costs down of course!
superutp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2012, 12:50   #493

Yes, I retained the OEM tyre for the spare, mainly because I didn't know if a larger (fatter) tyre would sit properly in the tyre well in the boot. I didn't want any unnecessary noises while driving because of a tyre that didn't fit.

Also, this is only a city car, and I presume I can run on a punctured tubeless tyre to the nearest repair centre.

I don't remember the size of the 14" alloys - will check and let you know.

Yes, you may get killed on your FE, but it doesn't make much of a difference on diesel; and as I said before, the improvement in ride & braking quality are amazing!

I've been a bit lazy, I will eventually take out my camera and take better pics.

Quote:
Thanks Evo for the pic. 2k buyback is a sweet deal! But why only 4 tyres? Does that mean you have retained the 165's as your spare tyre?
Also what size are your 14" alloys?

Really like the Beat on 185's. Though on my Petrol they'll probably re-murder the FE

P:S: please do upload better quality pics whenever you have the time
Old 8th April 2012, 10:38   #494
Senior - BHPian

Latest update on FE: With 100kms Highway run, 350 kms of Konkan Ghaats and 50km of city run, all in AC at 2-3 gave mileage of 18.3 KMPL. AC is taking toll it seems!
Old 12th April 2012, 16:02   #495
BHPian

FE update

last rs.500 topup lasted only 160 kms , City run with AC on 90%

approximate mileage figures of 14.26 kpl (11.22 litres for rs 500)

Usually rs.500 topup used to last till 190-200kms

has any got lesser kpl figures

Last edited by crazybiker46 : 12th April 2012 at 16:04.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks