Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2013, 11:54   #556

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Problem Solved :: Update on the post above.

The issue was caused due to the +ve terminal on the battery being loose. This caused even gentle vibration to disconnect everything at the time of cranking the car.

The Service Interval light which came up when the terminal was loose went away once it was tightened.
HydroXidE is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th March 2013, 23:41   #557
BHPian

Hi Friends

I left my beat diesel for 22500 kms service interval at Sundaram Motors, Chennai. I wanted my car's wiper blades to be replaced. Since this is a paid service, I requested the Service Adviser to give me the quote. It came around Rs.2000 including the service charge for the general which also comprises of inspection of brake disc,pads, brake drum, etc.

I got a call from the SA, around 4 PM today and was informed that my Car's brake disc, brake pads and wheel drum have to be replaced. I was told the Wheel drum will be replaced under warranty but the brake disc and pads would need to be charged. But I notified them that I didn't find any problem with my brakes. He then told me that if I don't want it to be replaced Its fine, but he told it has worn out and its not good to continue. As I have planned for a trip to KaraiKudi for my friend's marriage with my family, I don't want to take risk and somewhat hesitatingly I gave a go ahead. He has quoted 3500 + taxes for a pair of disc and brake pads.

The SA tried to convince me that for Beat generally on an average after 20000 kms they recommend the owners to change the brake disc and pads as it might get worn out that time. He mentioned that he will show and handover the worn-out parts. But I was not convinced, but still wanted to go ahead because of the trip I have planned with my family. Is that generally the brake disc/pads go off by 20000+ kms on an average? Did any of the beat owners have replaced these? Please let me know.
Old 26th March 2013, 13:45   #558
BHPian

It was not wheel drum, Sorry I have mentioned it incorrectly. It was wheel cylinder. Today when I took it from the service, I was told that the wheel cylinder was lubricated and it works fine. They examined it initially to be malfunctioned because it is supposed to push the pads for braking but it didn't do it. Later when they lubricated with required oil, its working fine now.
My bill came to Rs.5012.
Old 26th March 2013, 14:04   #559
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Balaji31582 View Post
Hi Friends

I left my beat diesel for 22500 kms service interval at Sundaram Motors, Chennai. I wanted my car's wiper blades to be replaced. Since this is a paid service, I requested the Service Adviser to give me the quote. It came around Rs.2000 including the service charge for the general which also comprises of inspection of brake disc,pads, brake drum, etc.

I got a call from the SA, around 4 PM today and was informed that my Car's brake disc, brake pads and wheel drum have to be replaced. I was told the Wheel drum will be replaced under warranty but the brake disc and pads would need to be charged. But I notified them that I didn't find any problem with my brakes. He then told me that if I don't want it to be replaced Its fine, but he told it has worn out and its not good to continue. As I have planned for a trip to KaraiKudi for my friend's marriage with my family, I don't want to take risk and somewhat hesitatingly I gave a go ahead. He has quoted 3500 + taxes for a pair of disc and brake pads.

The SA tried to convince me that for Beat generally on an average after 20000 kms they recommend the owners to change the brake disc and pads as it might get worn out that time. He mentioned that he will show and handover the worn-out parts. But I was not convinced, but still wanted to go ahead because of the trip I have planned with my family. Is that generally the brake disc/pads go off by 20000+ kms on an average? Did any of the beat owners have replaced these? Please let me know.
I am not too sure about your driving/usage patterns before I write, "it's too early for a brake pad replacement".

I drive a Beat Diesel and have done about 44,000 kilometers in 1.5 years. I do a lot of highway driving and considerably couple of thousand kilometers in City as well. I have found the brakes to be adequate so far & haven't changed pads since buying.
nevertouchme is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th March 2013, 14:32   #560
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nevertouchme View Post
I am not too sure about your driving/usage patterns before I write, "it's too early for a brake pad replacement".

I drive a Beat Diesel and have done about 44,000 kilometers in 1.5 years. I do a lot of highway driving and considerably couple of thousand kilometers in City as well. I have found the brakes to be adequate so far & haven't changed pads since buying.
thanks nevertouchme. My driving pattern is almost in City and Suburbs. So far of this 22,500 kms I would have done hardly done some 2000 kms in Highway. On seeing the worn out parts, I got convinced that it requires the replacement. But Now i feel probably i should change my braking methods. I don't really sit on my brakes, but still I think there is something I can get corrected else the pads/disc wouldn't have worn out so fast.
Old 26th March 2013, 15:48   #561
BHPian

Quote:

thanks nevertouchme. My driving pattern is almost in City and Suburbs. So far of this 22,500 kms I would have done hardly done some 2000 kms in Highway. On seeing the worn out parts, I got convinced that it requires the replacement. But Now i feel probably i should change my braking methods. I don't really sit on my brakes, but still I think there is something I can get corrected else the pads/disc wouldn't have worn out so fast.
How is the tyre, has it wornout normally? Or do you see excessive tread wearing. If so then your breaks may be rubbing in even when you are not applying them. Otherwise your breaking is not correct as you said.
Old 26th March 2013, 16:18   #562
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
How is the tyre, has it wornout normally? Or do you see excessive tread wearing. If so then your breaks may be rubbing in even when you are not applying them. Otherwise your breaking is not correct as you said.
My tyres have worn out uniformly and normally. I balance and align at regular intervals. During my last balancing in 20000 kms, I was told by the vendor that my tyres can easily last upto 40K if the wearing out goes as per current one. Not sure if 40K is a good amount of kms that a tyre has traveled.
Old 26th March 2013, 18:25   #563
BHPian

Hi friends,I own a Beat diesel that has run just 16000 kilometers.Recently when i am driving ,i hear a rumbling noise which i feel is coming from the front portion of the car.The sound becomes audible once the car crosses 25km/hr and persists and becomes sort of booming sound inside the cabin at higher speeds.The sound can be made to go away by pressing the accelerator slightly but it comes on at certain speeds.Sounds much like "TRRRRR" and is clearly audible with the ac on and windows rolled up. have recently done wheel balancing and alignment but the sound is still there.

I have done many trips through the dreaded NH47 Thrissur - Palakkad stretch and have crashed into big potholes at night.I don't feel any vibrations in the steering wheel.Could this be damaged wheel bearings or tie rods?.Please reply
Old 26th March 2013, 20:14   #564
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace69 View Post
...I have done many trips through the dreaded NH47 Thrissur - Palakkad stretch and have crashed into big potholes at night.I don't feel any vibrations in the steering wheel.Could this be damaged wheel bearings or tie rods?.Please reply
It could be wheel bearings the way you have mentioned. The booming noise keeps increasing with speed.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:10   #565
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by swiftnfurious View Post
It could be wheel bearings the way you have mentioned. The booming noise keeps increasing with speed.
Thanks for reply.Can you give me a rough idea as to how much the bearings (on both wheels?) would cost?.I am having a really tight work schedule and may have to run the car for an additional month in this condition.Will it further wear out the suspension components?.
Old 26th March 2013, 22:39   #566
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
could this be damaged wheel bearings or tie rods?.Please reply
From the description of noise maybe a bearing failure.
One suggestion , can you hoist the car on a ramp and look into suspension , wheels and steering components for signs of failure.
Old 26th March 2013, 23:59   #567
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
....Can you give me a rough idea as to how much the bearings (on both wheels?) would cost?.I am having a really tight work schedule and may have to run the car for an additional month in this condition.Will it further wear out the suspension components?.
My Swift's rear wheel bearings cost a total of Rs. 800/- (one side). I was told if the front ones bust, then the bill will be higher owing to ABS (not sure what is the price difference though).

It may not wear out other parts, but if the bearing bursts, then it will jam the tyres and may lead to bigger repair bills.

Either don't run the car or get it repaired at the earliest please. Even non-authorised good workshops can get the work done - will take couple of hours though. So I suggest a repair ASAP.
Old 17th April 2013, 14:01   #568
BHPian

Just wanted to give an update about my recent highway trip that I did to Karaikudi from chennai.
Total kms covered - 822 Kms
Diesel used - 40 litres
No of people - 3 - 5 Audlts
Avg mileage - 20.55 Km/litre with 100% AC at point 3 in AC switch.(Its 105 F in and around trichy during my trip on last saturday - monday)

I was able to observe how stable my beat was. Very happy with performance as we were 5 adults coming back with one of them 6 foot. I was mostly driving and I myself is 5 ft 11. It was 105 F, so we had our AC full and the roads were so good from thindivanam upto trichy, I was able to cover the distance with the aforesaid speeds. I have driven i10, wagonR but felt beat is highly stable in these speeds in straight-line. Also the speeds with 5 adults were not consistent with the i10 at least. The highway flyovers and curves were also taken with speeds over 80 KM/hr and I didn't hear any screech from my stock Goodyear tires. From trichy to karaikudi almost 70% of roads are newly done, the rest being with roads that are not complete. The suspension was good and I didn't even scrap in any of the bumps or big speed breakers.
Just OT, I was totally amazed with the road presence of Nissan Sunny and the ease the diesel sedan went past through me when I was already at a high speed. Probably I will go for this If I need a sedan. But right now I am bowled over by my chevy Beat.

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices which increases the chances
of putting yourself and other road users at risk.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th April 2013 at 15:21. Reason: See note in post.
Old 17th April 2013, 17:18   #569
BHPian

Quote:

Note from the Team-BHP Support Team: Team-BHP strongly discourages unsafe driving practices which increases the chances
of putting yourself and other road users at risk.
Sorry If my post would try to mislead the readers. But my intention was to point out how far the car was competent/frugal to clock the top speeds and the stability that time for the segment the car belongs to. I understand its not worth my life to try top speeds and also I see even with these speeds the mileage crossed 20, whereas if I would have done something between 60-70 probably my car would be the most fuel efficient car
Old 22nd April 2013, 17:05   #570

Quote:
Just wanted to give an update about my recent highway trip that I did to Karaikudi from chennai.
Total kms covered - 822 Kms
Diesel used - 40 litres
No of people - 3 - 5 Audlts
Avg mileage - 20.55 Km/litre with 100% AC at point 3 in AC switch.(Its 105 F in and around trichy during my trip on last saturday - monday)
[/b]
I have once traveled between Bangalore to Trichy (almost the same route) under similar weather conditions. With 3 people 100-120Km/hr range the FE was 17.5 We had set 19-Deg and Auto mode. What is the AC settings you use? Your fuel efficiency figures are very good.

Most Viewed