Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th May 2015, 22:58   #661
BHPian

7000 km?
Have you faceed any issues with the engine so far?
Just read an ownership review of a beat that covered close to 90000km. The user has not reported any serious issues.
Old 17th May 2015, 23:18   #662
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ps_abhijith View Post
7000 km?
Have you faceed any issues with the engine so far?
Just read an ownership review of a beat that covered close to 90000km. The user has not reported any serious issues.
Its 70, 000 . Engine wise, not much issues but overall, so many parts were replaced under warranty which makes the long term durability of the car doubtful.
ace69 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd June 2015, 16:35   #663
MAS
Senior - BHPian

S-O-S

One of my colleague bought a Chevy Beat TCDI in end-June 2012. The car has run 55K kms and is still under warranty.

In May 2015, he noticed good quantity of white smoke on start up. He had immediately taken the car to Sayar Chevrolet. After analysing the car, Sayar informed him that the Turbo has to be replaced.

Sometime back, the service intervals for Beat Diesel was been changed from 10K kms (or 15 K kms) to 7.5 K kms. As this change was not informed to my colleague he had done the services as per the original schedule.

Chevrolet has now refused to honour the warranty saying that the service was not carried out at 7.5 K km intervals. The new turbo was estimated to cost 25K and the expenses were to be borne by my colleague.

Shocked at this, the car was taken to Jain Jubilant (Nissan Dealer now, but was Chevy Dealer earlier) to get a second opinion. According to my colleague, Jain Jubilant are much better and the old service guys are well known to him. They checked the car and said that there is oil in the Intercooler, which was resulting in the white smoke. Parts were cleaned and the car was perfect for about a week. White smoke started to come back and Jain Jubilant informed that the oil has once again entered the intercooler and the turbo has to be changed.

Due to our travel plans the car was stationary at his house for most of May.

Today's update:
The car was taken to Sayar for a bulb change. The old white smoke problem was discussed and when the SA had asked the mechanics to check the car again. They found that there was a significant reduction in Engine Oil level. Top up was done with almost 1.5 Litres of Engine Oil.

Chevy in the meanwhile, have asked Sayar to inform the customer to take the car to Chennai and have it repaired it in either KLN or Khivraj immediately. He plans to bring the car tomorrow to Chennai and we would like to take it to KLN Motors, Guindy.

As I am not aware of anybody in Chevy network, I would really appreciate if you guys could give me information on the contact person/good service advisor/CRM etc in KLN Guindy.
MAS is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2015, 09:05   #664
BHPian

Hi,
Chevy looks to be more notorious when coming to the topic of servicing customers. They decide on their own and change service intervals and force it on customers. I too a prey for that. Beat is a capable product but ditched by chevy's nasty customer policies.
As far as I remember, khivraj was once upon a time with Chevy in Chennai. You have to reach to KLN or TVS sundaram.
On a different note, even I have a beat diesel and was giving to service centre ( TVS) till I understood what they are capable of... If in case they say that they cannot honour warranty and you have to shell out money and fine to do in chennai., then go to ignite motors at ECR and look for Mr.Raghav.

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 7th June 2015 at 09:06. Reason: Spelling checks
Old 7th June 2015, 10:54   #665
BHPian

Yes they changed the service interval again and it feels that due to consumer pressure this time. Now the intervals stand at 1000,5000,10000 and after this every 10000kms or 1 year. In between when I got my beat in Dec-14, they were at 1000,7500,15000 and after that every 7500 kms or six months. Even the chevy promise prices changed for both packages. Paid package now retails at Rs 26999 /- instead of Rs 31499 /- earlier and they seems to be very confused on the service schedule.

Last edited by ampere : 7th June 2015 at 10:55. Reason: Fixed minor typo
dchahal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 13th June 2015, 19:16   #666
BHPian

I had purchased a brand new diesel beat, One reason was that it was a diesel and the other reason was it was a small car suited for city use and could be used by wifey.

Although overall I was really happy with the car even performance wise it was good enough, Amazing Mileage, Peppy and the power-steering made it a breeze to drive. I simply loved the car.

Initial 2.5 years were free from niggles, We did not use the car as much as it was supposed to be used. It had clocked 30k in 4 years which is negligible for a diesel vehicle.

The car started to suffer from initial starting problems which was diagnosed to be a fuel pump problem. It was not bad, Although the car used to stall on steep inclines (Sometimes).Could still drive it (The new Fuel Pump costs a bomb). I was hinted by the SA that the turbo may fail. And thank fully it did not. Considering myself lucky on that.

The tires started going bald, The front ones actually were wearing off much quicker. in-spite of wheel rotation and alignment at regular intervals. the tires went completely bald when it hit the 30k mark (Shocked).
For the High EMI's and considering the fuel cost is much cheaper than petrol. I had shelled out much more on maintenance (Tires, Services, Parts etc). Also for the fact that "CHEVROLET" has a "PATHETIC" service center here in Mangalore.

Their service intervals kept changing from what was mentioned in the manual. few basic niggles like the front suspension bush wearing off, the break caliper wearing off could never be rectified. Their answer was "Every Beat" has the same problem. "FIX IT DAMN IT".

I sold it today, But not for a "Bad" price. I know if I had kept this vehicle a bit longer the resale value of this car would have suffered a lot more. Its a Pity that I had to sell off such a beautiful vehicle, But with a pathetic service center and half knowledged technicians, I could not afford to keep it much longer.

For the fact that my wife uses it everyday and she takes our year old son along in it. I do not want her to get stranded anywhere, I regret selling it, But I have made up my mind. I WILL NEVER EVER BUY A CHEVROLET IN MY LIFE AGAIN (Caps lock on "on purpose").
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2015, 16:55   #667
BANNED

Hi Fellow Beat owners.

I have a 9 months old LS Diesel variant with 23K on the ODO.
I've had a problem with the AC from day one. The cold (and hot) air leaks through the other areas as well no matter what is selected on the dial.
E.g.: If I want the blow on my face, there is still some leakage towards the foot and windshield.

I had a 2009 Wagon R before for 5 years and never saw this happen. The service adviser says all Chevrolet vehicles suffer from this and it's a NON-ISSUE. Well I clearly have a problem with this as I drive bare foot. I hate having cold feet while sweating from the forehead.
This keeps the full blow of cold air from reaching the upper cabin area. The cooling efficiency is also on the lower side. On a sunny 45 degree afternoon it takes more than 30 min to make it bearable. In the Wagon R, I had to often switch off the cooling no matter how hot is was outside.

Guys, please respond and suggest. Also, please share if you have this issue in your car too.
Old 30th June 2015, 17:02   #668
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MaheshY1 View Post
Hi Fellow Beat owners.

I have a 9 months old LS Diesel variant with 23K on the ODO.
I've had a problem with the AC from day one. The cold (and hot) air leaks through the other areas as well no matter what is selected on the dial.
E.g.: If I want the blow on my face, there is still some leakage towards the foot and windshield.

I had a 2009 Wagon R before for 5 years and never saw this happen. The service adviser says all Chevrolet vehicles suffer from this and it's a NON-ISSUE. Well I clearly have a problem with this as I drive bare foot. I hate having cold feet while sweating from the forehead.
This keeps the full blow of cold air from reaching the upper cabin area. The cooling efficiency is also on the lower side. On a sunny 45 degree afternoon it takes more than 30 min to make it bearable. In the Wagon R, I had to often switch off the cooling no matter how hot is was outside.

Guys, please respond and suggest. Also, please share if you have this issue in your car too.
Looks like a fault, Try taking it up with them. I never had any AC issues any time, the AC was a chiller. Better take it to an Car AC service center in your city, If they are unable to resolve it.

Last edited by yamaniac : 30th June 2015 at 17:03.
yamaniac is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th July 2015, 17:28   #669
BHPian

Attention all beat diesel owners:

Chevrolet has again revised the service schedule for all cars...

For best diesel (and most other cars) the new schedule is to service it once in a year or 10,000 km whichever comes first.

Came to knew this when i took my car for service at deedi chevrolet kollam. The SA told me that next service wont be due untill 6 more months.
Changed the engine oil and did a tyre rotation any way...
Old 6th July 2015, 11:48   #670
BHPian

Re: Need Help, Engine issues

Quote:
Originally Posted by ace69 View Post
My beat diesel was taken to the workshop as the car had developed starting problems as stated by ps abhijith above. The SVC diagnosed and ascertained that the engine was not having enough compression and that a major repair was due and that every replacement would be done under warranty. Dropped the car at SVC and got it back after nine days and the following parts were replaced.
Wow that's like an Engine rebuild. How much had the car run before the rebuild? I have 92,000 on the clock and no issues so far.
Old 22nd July 2015, 13:07   #671
BHPian

Few weeks back, there was a letter from chevy mentioning about beat recall related to battery wiring harness issues. They have mentioned that Sundaram motors will call me. I am still awaiting their call
Old 14th August 2015, 14:30   #672

The all familiar beat problem struck me!!

The brake booster has gone kaput! When I was on a short drive last week, the car lost power and brake pedal got hard, got it corrected by a local mechanic.
Yesterday I left the car for 3.5 yrs service (car has clocked 29K) and explained brake issues to SA. Today I got a call from SA asking my approval to change brake booster which will cost around 6500/-, this will be on top of the regular service cost 7.5K. Seems it's major work, car will get delivered only by Monday (after two days of holidays in between)
Beauty is that my cousin's beat is also at the same service center facing the same issue and SA recommended to change the brake booster, but for him, though he clocked more miles, the vehicle is at the fag end of three year warranty which will take care the cost.

I don't know when other familiar problems like fuel pump and turbo charger is going to hit me!!

Last edited by Ravijai : 14th August 2015 at 14:46.
Old 25th October 2015, 17:25   #673
BHPian

Hi friends,
My beat diesel is currently struck near tuticorin. My brother is with the car. He called me and narrated that the Car suddenly stopped when he decelerated to take a left from the highway. Looks like he filled diesel for 1000 rupees just few minutes back. He tried to crank and could see that the car is not taking. The battery is just a year old. Looks like headlights,indicators are working fine.
I called up mytvs as I hold RSA with it. A technician has called my brother and he asked him to check the silencer when the car is tried cranking. No abnormal signals in dashboard also. We are waiting for the technician to come in person. Can any of the owners have faced his before? The car has did 68600+ kms so far...

Last edited by Balaji31582 : 25th October 2015 at 17:27.
Old 21st November 2015, 00:08   #674
Senior - BHPian

I see a lot of members facing engine related issues on the Beat Diesel. So far I haven't faced any thing of this sort on my Beat Diesel (2011 Oct Model - ~44000 kms). The car has aged very well and the engine has become butter smooth once it heats. Same is the case with the gears. Only issue I see is when the car is used after a gap of 3-4 days, first 50 meters or so gives a heavy grinding noise from the rear wheels as if some part has dried and rubbing against something else. The car doesn't feel dragged or anything and it vanishes once it gets rolling.
I will just put a few tips here before something comes up with my car

- Change the oil after every 10-11 months or 8000 kms max. Note that while the odo tells you the kilometers crossed, it does not tell you how many minutes your car has being idling at signals or traffic jams. Follow this schedule rigorously as your car starts getting older.

- Once you turn the ignition on, wait for the fuel pump to initialize. You will hear a slight hum for 10-15 seconds or less. Crank the engine once it vanishes.
Always, always follow the turbo charger rule as it is one of the most sensitive thing in the engine.

- Don't just take off when the engine starts, wait for the oil to reach its operating temperature. You will find the engine is much smoother if you let her idle for a few minutes before you begin your journey.

- The brakes of Chevvy Beat are nice, but they wear faster than other cars (Personal observation, I've changed the pads twice !). If you brake the car very frequently with heavy load, they get heated and braking reduces drastically. Use engine braking when going downhill. Change the pads if you feel that is happening more than often.

- It is always a good habit to open the bonnet of your car every now and then and see if there is anything that is not supposed to happen underneath: e.g. Fluid/Oil levels going down drastically, any kind of unwanted powdery deposits on joints, any pipe/hose developing cracks ,oil accumulation in any particular area etc.

- Check the oil level and its color by yourself, you will get information about it all over the net. Note that diesel engine's oil color is dark brown, almost black. There are simple tests using a tissue paper to see how much dirt is suspended in it.

- Lastly, Drive the car very often but with utmost care. Hard braking, rapid acceleration/ deceleration, excessive speeds on rough roads will make any car prone to niggling issues.

Last edited by NiInJa : 21st November 2015 at 00:25.
NiInJa is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 15th December 2015, 17:46   #675

GM is recalling Beat diesel cars manufactured between Dec'10 to Jul'14 to replace faulty clutch pedal lever, that amounts to over 1 Lakh beats.

http://www.thehindu.com/business/Ind...cle7992183.ece

I haven't come across any member facing this problem, they should have done this for the more common beat issues with turbo, fuel pump and brake booster/calipers.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks