Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 14:00   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
Thx for the review GTO. Nice and crisp.
That's sad. One of the best things about the current petrol model is it's nice HPS.
Helps moving to EPS for kmpl part and will be easier for city drives.

This should be the killer car deal if priced like we all heard.

Did I miss? ABS & Airbag is available for all versions?
Old 14th July 2011, 14:04   #17
Senior - BHPian

Great review, GTO.
Finally the Beat would see sales picking up, after the ignominy of losing to its much older sibling (Spark).
Old 14th July 2011, 14:09   #18
Senior - BHPian

I at one point had hated Beat, but suddenly introduction of BEAT TCDI has changed the game for me, it now looks attractive option. Especially for a person like me who is looking for a diesel vehicle mainly to be driven in city with No nonsense written all over it. Beat to me, seems like a No nonsense car now.

Though thier target might be Figo. The actual market share for Beat will come from WagonR and i10.

With 1.6 lakh capacity I am sure GM will also have an opportunity to sell thier engine to other manufacturers who might need small Diesel engines.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:14   #19
h14
BHPian

Eagerly awaited review. Thanks GTO.

Additionally, if GM throws in the 3 years maintenance package, then it might well sell like hot cakes!
Old 14th July 2011, 14:22   #20
Distinguished - BHPian

I Rated 5 Stars! GTO Why don't you build a logic in TBHP such that threads created by your ID will automatically be 5 Starred? Will save a lot of efforts collectively for BHPians :-P. Excellent review as always. Thanks for that...

The BEAT is an aggressive car. GM is aggressive with its petrol pricing. I hope the diesel price is aggressive enough to really shuffle the market upside down. If it is priced somewhere around the eV2 (even with less features in entry model is ok) it would cause a real havoc in the market. I hope this is the new pocket friendly diesel!!

And kudos to GM for not taking the terrible cost cutting route. 3 pot motor - well its OK for the Beat. Its a small car and if they've managed to keep it refined and damped the vibrations, then no qualms...

Glow plug indicator is conspicuous by its absence really. I hope they didn't forget it and have some justifying reason...

Last edited by Reinhard : 14th July 2011 at 14:46.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:27   #21
BHPian

As usual a high quality review. Thanks GTO, for the same.
Except for an AT option and a small boot space, this car probably satisfies all the requirements of the typical Indian hatch buyer in the B segment, who prefers an economical, stylish and a comfortable car. ABS and airbags options are welcome additions for the informed buyer.
Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
- If you bring the engine close to the stalling point, the ECM automatically raises the rpms just a wee bit to keep you going.
Is this feature available exclusively on the diesel Beat?

Last edited by auto-one : 14th July 2011 at 14:30.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:29   #22
BHPian

Price, Price & Price!

I believe Chevy is getting everything else correct here like:

- Best mileage in the segment (minus Indica).
- Equipment level.
- Service Interval.
- Warranty.

Price would be the only deal breaker if Chevy want to steal some of those Face lifted Swift's booking.

Cheers Chevy!
Old 14th July 2011, 14:29   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Other Points:- Suggestion made to Chevrolet : How about an Automatic diesel Beat? Has the potential to be affordable, fuel-efficient & driveable. Perfect city hatch, wot?
Just what the Doctor ordered, my wife will be the most happy person on earth to get a car like that, and the day I get habituated driving her car, not good in my imagination.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:30   #24
BHPian

Quote:
Other Points:

- The first 3 cylinder diesel to be sold in India was the Accent CRDi, which incidentally was also the first common-rail diesel for <10 lakhs. The second is the currently sold 1.2L in the VW Polo & Skoda Fabia. You’ll be seeing a lot more 3 cylinder diesels in the future. Maruti & Hyundai will be watching the market’s response closely. After all, think of what a small diesel could do to the Alto or Santro.

-- If you bring the engine close to the stalling point, the ECM automatically raises the rpms just a wee bit to keep you going.

- Diesel Beat's instrument console doesn't have a glow plug indicator.
Hi GTO,

I have a couple of questions,

1) I was told by the sales guy, the magic as to why vibrations of the 3 cylinder motor is not heard or felt is because the engine is first fitted on a cradle and then indirectly fitted on the engine bay. Unlike other cars where the fitting is directly done on the chasis that is the engine bay.
My question is, will this car have low vibrations and noise levels even after it clocks about 50000km in about 3 years time. I know we can not predict the future, but any thoughts on this one GTO?

2) Glow plug indicator, what is that on the center Consule which is missing?

Cheers

Last edited by Nash24 : 14th July 2011 at 14:31. Reason: Spelling
Old 14th July 2011, 14:41   #25
Senior - BHPian

Chevy Beat diesel looks like a winner for GM and surprisingly took so long to come. I have always lamented that the Beat needs a diesel heart to take on the competition and by the looks of it the wait has been worth it.
So now GM has arguably the most fuel efficient, cheapest and with a pretty decent warranty diesel hatch, having an excellent city drivability. I see lots of people flocking to GM showrooms now. I dont see how this car will not affect the lower end Swift/Ritz and the mid and upper petrol variants i10/i20s any more.

BTW an excellent review.

Last edited by SPARKled : 14th July 2011 at 14:44.
Old 14th July 2011, 14:51   #26
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon
With 1.6 lakh capacity I am sure GM will also have an opportunity to sell thier engine to other manufacturers who might need small Diesel engines.
I doubt they would do that. Atleast if they have seen what MSIL did with the Fiat engine.

OTOH, imagine the possibilities if they shared the engine - the whole range of A*/WagonR/Estilo/Alto can be had in diesel.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:03   #27
Distinguished - BHPian

Nice review GTO! Pros & cons clearly listed out.

As for the competition picture, I'm not sure if they are targeting the right bunch. The price bracket Beat comes is between the A segment (Alto, Spark, Santro) and the lower end of the premium hatchbacks. I have seen atleast 3 of my friends/colleagues choosing either the Alto (price being the main aspect) or Ritz (reliability being the main aspect) in the last 2-3 months. In all three cases I was the only one trying to convince them to give the Beat a TD atleast.
No use.

Even on the diesel front, I doubt the picture might change that much. Chevy's got two feet in two different buckets with this car. Really wonder how much sales they'll garner as time passes. Most probably Ford & Maruti buyers would get more discounts thanks to the Beat!
Old 14th July 2011, 15:07   #28
BHPian

what will be the approximate difference between the equivalent Petrol version. LT sells for 5.09 OTR Bangalore. Lets say 80K.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:19   #29
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ninjatalli View Post
Nice review GTO! Pros & cons clearly listed out.

As for the competition picture, I'm not sure if they are targeting the right bunch. The price bracket Beat comes is between the A segment (Alto, Spark, Santro) and the lower end of the premium hatchbacks. I have seen atleast 3 of my friends/colleagues choosing either the Alto (price being the main aspect) or Ritz (reliability being the main aspect) in the last 2-3 months. In all three cases I was the only one trying to convince them to give the Beat a TD atleast.
No use.

Even on the diesel front, I doubt the picture might change that much. Chevy's got two feet in two different buckets with this car. Really wonder how much sales they'll garner as time passes. Most probably Ford & Maruti buyers would get more discounts thanks to the Beat!
Hi , I already got a call from Ford, calling me to sit down with them on table to buy the figo instead of the beat, they assured discounts and whatever small goodies that i ask
Old 14th July 2011, 15:24   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
Hi , I already got a call from Ford, calling me to sit down with them on table to buy the figo instead of the beat, they assured discounts and whatever small goodies that i ask
Have you done the TD of Beat as yet, need more feed back from you on this, mainly how is the driveability in our Bangalore traffic with the AC on & NVH levels.

Most Viewed