Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 14th July 2011, 15:30   #31
Senior - BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

I also feel that this Beat is more going to steal customers from i10, Wagon R and to some extent Alto.

Now the only problem with this car is the lack of mass acceptance of its looks.

A Spark with same engine will literally eat up every other brand.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:33   #32
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review GTO. GM surely has a winner here. Hope this will push Hyundai to bring i10 Crdi soon.
Superleggera is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 15:39   #33
BANNED

Just wanted to know at what rpm does it do 100 kph? Around 2500 will be ideal.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:48   #34
BHPian

Thanks for the wonderful review GTO once again. Next information is may not relevant to above discussion but like to share anyways, few days back had a talk with very senior person in TATA Motors , Diesel 800 CC (Around 40 BHP) with 30KMPL :-) Nano Engine is ready may be come in September this year or later ,all tested and waiting only on management decision. Another 1000 CC and 1200 CC Diesel engines are ready for Nano and other cars. Dolphin is not yet got management go ahead for production. 2000 CC Diesel engine being developed with help of JLR for SUV.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:52   #35
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
In fact it's already there in all petrol Beats sold from Jan 2011
Thanks! Corrected.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas View Post
Did I miss? ABS & Airbag is available for all versions?
Nope, only on the top end.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
IThough thier target might be Figo. The actual market share for Beat will come from WagonR and i10
Now that you mention it, I do agree. Those thinking of the petrol WagonR might just give the Beat a second look. Equally, even though the Figo is more spacious and wears far more neutral clothes, there will be cross-shopping with the Beat. The Chevy is very modern in comparison.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
GM is aggressive with its petrol pricing. I hope the diesel price is aggressive enough to really shuffle the market upside down.
I'm pretty sure they will. As mentioned in my review, unlike the 4 cylinder petrol to 4 cylinder diesel premium for its competitors, the Beat diesel has 1 cylinder less. That must reflect in the pricing.

Quote:
Originally Posted by auto-one View Post
Is this feature available exclusively on the diesel Beat?
I've seen it in other cars, though it's a lot more prominent in the Beat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nash24 View Post
My question is, will this car have low vibrations and noise levels even after it clocks about 50000km in about 3 years time. I know we can not predict the future, but any thoughts on this one GTO?
Don't know. But I can tell you that Indian diesel cars age quicker than in other countries. Two reasons : Fuel quality and adulteration, second is the hammering the mounts & suspension take from our roads.

Quote:
Originally Posted by akhilesh View Post
Just wanted to know at what rpm does it do 100 kph? Around 2500 will be ideal.
Nope, remember the gearing is very short. IIRC, it was about 2,900 rpm.
Old 14th July 2011, 15:58   #36
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Nope, remember the gearing is very short. IIRC, it was about 2,900 rpm.
Darn... it way to short for a diesel. Its petrol car category. I am sure the efficiency won't be good on the highway.
I am still finding it hard to believe the rationale given by chevvy for opting for a three cylinder. If Ritz can accomodate it, I am sure Beat can too.
Have we forgotten the Peugoet 1.5 liter engine in a Zen.
akhilesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th July 2011, 16:04   #37
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by zulfi hansi View Post
Have you done the TD of Beat as yet, need more feed back from you on this, mainly how is the driveability in our Bangalore traffic with the AC on & NVH levels.
yup sure, here is the link for my review.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/indian...g-22-a-24.html
Old 14th July 2011, 16:07   #38
BANNED

OK I'll be the naysayer here. I don’t think Beat D will cause any lasting impact in the Market. Yes whenever there is a launch there is bound to be some excitement/curiosity but this will settle down soon. The Beat will sell much better now but not a game changer for me sorry.

Last edited by GTO : 15th July 2011 at 11:57. Reason: Removing FONT Tags. Please do NOT cut-copy-paste text from other word softwares. It results in a formatting error.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:09   #39
BHPian

Nice review! Pretty much confirms what all the other reviews and TD reports have been saying , seems like a great little car with a few limitations, but no real rough edges.

Electric mirrors and an adjustable seat would be nice, but are not really deal breakers for me!
Old 14th July 2011, 16:14   #40
BHPian

Great review GTO and I could not agree with you more on the automatic option. I am amazed that none of the other small car manufacturer have jumped on to the Maruti and Hyundai bandwagon of small automatics.
Old 14th July 2011, 16:31   #41
Senior - BHPian

This was one of the most awaited reviews of an oil burner in recent times and an superb job done at that by GTO. Beat D has the potential to be a strong opponent in our hatch space with this new heart. Kudos to GM on fine tuning the 1.3 to this 3 cylinder pot. I had friends working with GM research center in Blr and they were telling me that some thing was cooking inside and lo such tailormade variants are being dished out one after another by GM (GM Daewoo globally)

As some one mentioned an interesting thing would be if this trend (3 pot Diesel) will be picked up by other big players such as MSIL ( for Wagon R, Estilo etc) or Hyundai (Santro, i 10 etc or the new entry mini car developed below Santro) or Tata (in their new mini car below Indica).

Also do GM still own a part of Suzuki? Then is there a posibility that this pot can flow into a MSIL product?
Old 14th July 2011, 16:31   #42
BHPian

Great review - useful points listed which in the end determine the 'buy' decision.

People suggest biege interiors to make the cabin seem more roomy. But biege has a very practical problem associated with it - reflection on the windscreen. I don't know why no-one has mentioned it yet especially in context of the taller hatches. I prefer dark interiors - they kill the reflection as well as augument well with the lit-up / backlit displays.

And yes, a automatic diesel Beat would be awesome especially in the leg-breaking traffic in cities like Bangalore. I just realized that almost everyday I am tailing a different i10 automatic despite its terrible FE. A diesel engine which feels like petrol and and automatic which has FE similar to or better than petrol manuals.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:23   #43
Senior - BHPian

Dear GTO,

Kudos again for a wonderful review.

I own a Beat LT petrol and drive a Figo EX too. I still prefer Beat to drive because of it's compactness, ride and maneuverability. I also feel that the driver cockpit is far better in Beat along with large steering. It's a silent car with no rattles and squeaks. I still prefer HPS in Beat.

Did GM shed any light regarding this 3 pot entering into Sparks hood? If it ever happens, can't imagine the game within entry level hatch in our country.

Cheers!

Vinu
Old 14th July 2011, 17:26   #44
BHPian

Asusual a great review GTO..super likes..

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daewood View Post
That's sad. One of the best things about the current petrol model is it's nice HPS.

Any idea how they achieved it. Asking because in the current petrol Beat the only problem in terms of ground clearance was the front bumpers which were a bit low.
Many commuter's felt that EPS was better option than the HPS as all its competitors have EPS, so this mught have been the reason for this change.

The change in tyre dimensions might have improved the ground clearance. Other than this, there might not have been any possible solution, since all others involve tooling costs, which is to any layman not at all an option.
Old 14th July 2011, 17:35   #45
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Reinhard View Post
Glow plug indicator is conspicuous by its absence really. I hope they didn't forget it and have some justifying reason...
Sorry, I never had a Diesel car. What is a Glow Plug and why is it needed in a Diesel car?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks