Old 25th July 2011, 16:52   #241
BHPian

Re: Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by needforspeed88 View Post
Let me make it simple.

IF u compare it to the Figo,

For 28k extra you will be getting

4 cylinder proven , frugal ,drivable 1.4 liter engine producing 160 nm torque and 68 bhp power with minimal turbo lag.

Bigger car-roomy interiors , better back seat,bigger boot ,great driving position and visibility.

Better Ride and handling and a big car feel

Better brand value [relatively],bigger service network, better resale value.

The petrol engine in beat is a four cylinder one producing 80 hp and 108nm torque.
How can they charge a higher premium against the petrol,compared to the competitors when they are offering a 3 pot diesel 150 nm torque may be but it only produces 57bhp.

It does not require rocket science to see Figo is still much more value for money when compared to the Beat
Figo fortunately competes with it on the price front. That is a good thing. Other than that, it does not. GM mostly wants to hit the i10 segment, others too but mainly the i10 segment that also has the Wagon R, Santro and Estilo. That's where it is a segment first. Not in the Figo segment. Again price wise they do compare which is a good thing for Figo cause it is ofcourse a bigger car for very little more. Right?

By the way what you are saying makes sense totally. You get a lot more in the Figo Because of the price competitiveness of the latter, we can't help but draw comparisons.

Last edited by abhi1309 : 25th July 2011 at 16:54.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:08   #242
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know- is BEAT D fine for a tall person? I am 6'2" and am planning to buy a car soon, and I felt pretty cramped and claustrophobic when I went to check out the Alto.
Yes, it should be fine for you. Please read through this thread, a couple of tall Beat owners have commented on the seating and space. Much better than an alto atleast! The petrol and the diesel versions are identical as far as seating is concerned, so try it out
Old 25th July 2011, 17:08   #243
BHPian

Quote:
Let me make it simple.

4 cylinder proven , frugal ,drivable 1.4 liter engine producing 160 nm torque and 68 bhp power with minimal turbo lag.

Bigger car-roomy interiors , better back seat,bigger boot ,great driving position and visibility.

The petrol engine in beat is a four cylinder one producing 80 hp and 108nm torque.
How can they charge a higher premium against the petrol,compared to the competitors when they are offering a 3 pot diesel 150 nm torque may be but it only produces 57bhp.

It does not require rocket science to see Figo is still much more value for money when compared to the Beat
Afaik, the Beat-D engine is more frugal than Figo, has lesser turbo lag and very much a driveable.

My personal take having driven the cars is that Beat-D has better ride and handling than Figo -a fact also mentioned by NDTV which compared the 2 cars.

While Figo beats Beat-D on cabin space and boot space, I have found the Beat driver seat to offer a lot more comfort over long runs for a 6'2" guy like me.

Afaik, going by market research reports, Chevrolet has a better brand consideration and value than Ford. GM has a bigger service network than Ford's (I think ~50 more service centers) and is offering better maintenance package. Figo's resale value is good only on the diesel and not on the petrol. So, the resale value factor is an unknown as of now, since Figo petrol has similar resale values to Beat petrol.
nikhil3456 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:15   #244
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adg_andy View Post
Hi Guys,

Just wanted to know- is BEAT D fine for a tall person? I am 6'2" and am planning to buy a car soon, and I felt pretty cramped and claustrophobic when I went to check out the Alto.
My friend,who is 6 feet+ has tried my beat Petrol.He had to push the seat a little back.What he said is he felt,little uncomfortable with the low level seats and he felt that [FONT='Calibri','sans-serif']Steering is in lap.To add to that,he drives a santro zip+[/FONT]
Old 25th July 2011, 17:18   #245
Senior - BHPian

Beat is competitively priced but not a killer pricing in any which way. 70K premium for a 3-cylinder diesel over a 4-pot petrol is somehow not justifiable to me.

Overall, the Figo remains the best in terms of VFM. The Beat will eat away sales from the likes of I10 and do respectable numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikhil3456 View Post
My personal take having driven the cars is that Beat-D has better ride and handling than Figo.
One can have a preference to a particular car.
But, the above is plain wrong.
Figo has best-in-class ride and handling, the Beat can't hold a candle to it, period.
adimicra is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 17:21   #246
BHPian

Quote:
Let me make it simple.

1.) Engine on the figo is decade old, what we get in the beat is relatively newly engineered stuff. Beat is 100kg lighter, so equally good power to weight ratio.
2.) Power windows are missing on the rear in the figo, titanium model does not come with alloys, steering adjustment & fog lamps.
3.) What is the problem with 3-pot?, as GTO mentioned there is not much vibration in the cabin & driveability is good. Both the cars may struggle on the highway.
4.) Figo ride is very stiff, again I don't want to comment as each person has a different perception of ride and handling. IMO the ride and handling will matter for enthusiast.
5.) There is a price diff of 50k OTR between figo and beat. Check this
Compare Ford Figo Duratorq Diesel Titanium 1.4 vs Chevrolet Beat LT 1.0 Opt - CarWale

Beat - On-Road Price Quote #18101453
Ex-Showroom Chennai 5,45,000 (A) RTO 30,800 (B) Insurance 19,036 (C) On Road Price 5,94,836 (E=A+B+C-D)

Figo -On-Road Price Quote #18101716
Ex-Showroom Chennai 5,67,305 (A) RTO 61,730 (B) Insurance 20,869 (C) On Road Price 6,49,904 (E=A+B+C-D)
IMO, a great package but factors like resale could be a dampener.

Last edited by Mr_Bean : 25th July 2011 at 17:23.
Old 25th July 2011, 17:33   #247
BHPian

Beat - On-Road Price Quote #18101453
Ex-Showroom Chennai 5,45,000 (A) RTO 30,800 (B) Insurance 19,036 (C) On Road Price 5,94,836 (E=A+B+C-D)

Figo -On-Road Price Quote #18101716
Ex-Showroom Chennai 5,67,305 (A) RTO 61,730 (B) Insurance 20,869 (C) On Road Price 6,49,904 (E=A+B+C-D)
IMO, a great package but factors like resale could be a dampener.[/quote]

How come the RTO cost is so low for BEAT? Is there any specific reason for that?
Old 25th July 2011, 17:43   #248
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
The short gearing is ideal for puttering about in the city, and always keeps the engine in turbo zone. For instance, in 2nd gear at 30 kph or 3rd gear at 45 kph, the engine is already spinning at 2,000 rpm.
My Dzire in the 2nd gear at 30 kmph is also already spinning at around 1900rpm. And I thought that was tall gearing. Am I missing something here?
Old 25th July 2011, 18:05   #249
BHPian

Thank you for the response guys.

I won't quote individual posts but i will try to reply to the interjections

Note:I like chevrolet beat petrol which is competitively priced as it offers a good 1.2 petrol engine with 80 ps power and a very good package for its price.It deserves to sell more than it currently does.

Now coming to the Diesel.

1]I have never said Beat diesel is a bad car.I have only said car per rupee spent Figo still holds all the aces.

2]Figo is a very good performer on the highway as confirmed by numerous long term reports on Team-Bhp itself.

3]Beat may be theoretically more fuel efficinet than figo but due to lack of displacement and shorter gearing it will be running at higher revs for a given speed in that gear.So Its not proven yet that Beat will be fuel efficient in the city let alone on the highway where Figo undoubtedly will have a better fuel efficiency due to taller gearing .You can cruise in a more relaxed fashion in the figo which also aids in its highway fuel efficieny.

3]Ride and handling :Beat has a good low speed ride but when it comes to high way manners and handling ,beat cannot hold a candle to Figo.

4]I was comparing variant to variant ex-showroom prices posted by gto in this very thread.To be more specific the entry variant where the price in ex showroom difference is 28k

5]Engine in Figo might be a decade old but it is still very light ,proven,refined,relatively less NVH, yes it is very frugal if not may be as frugal as beat in the city[that's still to be proven].

I have nothing against the Beat.It will still attract buyers with its features and good looks.

My inference

Indian market is extremely price sensitive .Look at how city's sales have picked up after price cut.You can imagine how much value for money matters in the hatch back segment .I just feel GM have lost a great chance to go for volumes due to pricing the Beat about 20 k more.If they had under cut the Figo by 50k i am sure beat would have been churning great volumes.
needforspeed88 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 18:28   #250
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by adimicra View Post
Beat is competitively priced but not a killer pricing in any which way. 70K premium for a 3-cylinder diesel over a 4-pot petrol is somehow not justifiable to me.

Overall, the Figo remains the best in terms of VFM. The Beat will eat away sales from the likes of I10 and do respectable numbers.

One can have a preference to a particular car.
But, the above is plain wrong.
Figo has best-in-class ride and handling, the Beat can't hold a candle to it, period.
Adi, I respect your opinion, but frankly you need to drive this diesel baby to avoid and bias. In my opinion, this is a damn good handler and ride car. I have already said before in my earlier post, I would have bought this car even it had been 5-10 thousand higher than FIGO. Low price for me is Icing on the cake

Last edited by anu21v : 25th July 2011 at 18:30.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:01   #251
BHPian

Just putting up something which caught my eye in today's 'The Hindu' !!

Someone's self-invited themselves to the race!!
Attached Thumbnails
Chevrolet Beat TCDI Diesel : Test Drive & Review-image044.jpg  

Geo_Ipe is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 25th July 2011, 19:08   #252
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anu21v View Post
Adi, I respect your opinion, but frankly you need to drive this diesel baby to avoid and bias. In my opinion, this is a damn good handler and ride car. I have already said before in my earlier post, I would have bought this car even it had been 5-10 thousand higher than FIGO. Low price for me is Icing on the cake
Congrats to you.. .hope we get your ownership thread soon
Frankly, I have not driven the Beat D but I have driven its petrol sibling. And handling was not its strong point at all. The Beat D might be better with thicker rubber but I don't think it can match the Figo.
Figo, on the other hand, has excellent handling - almost zero body roll, great steering and corners like a dream.

There are many aspects of the Figo which I don't like at all. It looks one or two generations older than the Beat and I love the Beat's interiors and overall design. I don't find any cheapness with the Beat (interiors as well as exteriors), which is so galore in the Figo.

Between the two, personally, I would any day choose the Beat over the Figo but can't agree on the handling part.
But, as a overall package, Figo remains the better VFM to the majority with its space and practicality.

Last edited by adimicra : 25th July 2011 at 19:14.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:18   #253
BHPian

Lets focus on diesel to diesel comparison on this thread guys, i think from the various reports that have come out Beat D seems to be a city car for some one who commutes everyday in high traffic conditions and maybe a occasional drive on highway while it is completely opposite for the Figo which has better drive ability on highway at high speeds.

One a lighter note, if 4 cyclinders command a 1 lakh premium over a petrol variant, 3 cyclinder may command 75 thousand. Pure maths.
Old 25th July 2011, 19:29   #254
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr.Beat View Post
One a lighter note, if 4 cyclinders command a 1 lakh premium over a petrol variant, 3 cyclinder may command 75 thousand. Pure maths.

4 cylinder Petrol -> 4 cylinder diesel = 80,000/-

3 cylinder Petrol -> 3 cylinder diesel = 60,000/-

4 cylinder Petrol -> 3 cylinder diesel = ???
Old 25th July 2011, 19:35   #255
BHPian

Got the OTR prices for Mys / Blr

PS - 5.2
LS - 5.57
LT - 6.11
LT (O) - 6.66

Most Viewed