Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:30   #16
Senior - BHPian

Re: Tata Aria 4x2 : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
In addition to the removal of the AWD system, the overall body / chassis construction has also been modified to lower the weight, which is why the Aria 4x2 cannot be rated on the Euro NCAP.
Agree with you on the reduction in weight due to removal of the AWD system. Manufacturers (specially the Indian ones ) suffer from a dangerous virus named "Standardisation" so a significant change in body / chassis would be doubtful as it requires huge tooling costs and development times. All this considering when the Aria was launched and where it is now. I would be surprised and happy too, if my reasoning is wrong!

Spike
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:30   #17
Senior - BHPian

Excellent review Stratos rated 5*. I have been eyeing this segment and waiting for Merlin launch. Looking at the improvement in QC i am quiet hopeful that Merlin would also be relatively niggle free.

When i drive the 4x4 Aria i felt it was very-very sluggish. How would you compare the 4x2 Aria. Also are there some 0-100 figures available between 4x4 and 4x2 which give an indication how quick this car really is?
Old 3rd August 2011, 12:44   #18
BHPian

I do not find reduced kerb/gross weight for 4X2 on www.tataaria.com. I also expect ground clearance to be different for models with 16"/17" wheels. is'n it?
Old 3rd August 2011, 13:18   #19
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stratos View Post
the Aria 4x2 cannot be rated on the Euro NCAP.
Thanks for the review Statos.

Then what safety rating do apply for Aria, if not Euro NCAP?

Did not particularly like the wooden inplants on the dashboard, looks a like an eye sore.

Why is there such a huge space between the wheel arches and the tyres, is the 16" the right sixe for the such a huge vehicle.

What fuel efficiency is this vehicle looking at?
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:30   #20
Senior - BHPian

From the exterior, it still looks nice. And the black interiors suit the Aria well, but the beige interiors/seats look too cheap and plasticky for a 12L car. Also I did not like the idea of the faux wood inserts (I was never a fan of them; even in a Merc!). As someone pointed out earlier, it will hardly make a difference to the Innova.

One more thing, I still feel it is a tad overpriced. If they had got the price to between 9½ L and 12 L then it would have been more VFM and would have helped them to gain more customers from Toyota.

Last edited by W.A.G.7 : 3rd August 2011 at 14:30. Reason: Correction
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:46   #21
BHPian

Pure variant is pure nonsense. No airbags. How can you miss that out in today's day and age.

God save Tata Motors from the people making such stupid decisions.

Cheers
Old 3rd August 2011, 14:51   #22
xPK
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by W.A.G.7 View Post
From the exterior, it still looks nice. And the black interiors suit the Aria well, but the beige interiors/seats look too cheap and plasticky for a 12L car. Also I did not like the idea of the faux wood inserts (I was never a fan of them; even in a Merc!). As someone pointed out earlier, it will hardly make a difference to the Innova.

One more thing, I still feel it is a tad overpriced. If they had got the price to between 9½ L and 12 L then it would have been more VFM and would have helped them to gain more customers from Toyota.
+1. The question is still there, why a customer should move away from Innova and zero on Aria? No offense meant but Aria 4x2 looks like a Linea TJet of TATA (launch highly awaited, but could do much for the sales)
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:05   #23
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VeluM View Post

If one compares this to the Innova V, now there isn't Really that much more in features to draw customers away from Toyota's famed reliability. And the Innova can't really be called a poorer vehicle as compared to the Aria. Tata has obviously studied the Innova V and priced the 4x2 versions around it, but I'm not convinced of the USP.
The PURE variant which is cheaper than Innova V is meant only to bring the target customers to the showrooms. With the beige dashboard looking uncharacteristic of Aria and the front armrest missing , Tata wants people to look for the next model.

Compare the Pleasure variant with Innova V which comes in the same price and realize the value.

USP of Aria over Innova is very simple and clear

Power - 140ps vs 102ps
Torque - 320Nm vs 200Nm

All wheel Disc brakes
Better ride quality
More Space
Dual AC
ABS with EBD
Road Presence
and most important, Aria will take you places which an Innova is just not designed for.

But what the Aria is missing on, is the brand name and better A$$ of Toyota, better handling of drivability of Innova plus the alloys!
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:16   #24
BHPian

Tata should have given those lovely 17 inch alloys & fog lamps in every model. Aria Looks much better with these and It should have grey interiors only. This is just a personal opinion
Old 3rd August 2011, 15:38   #25
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
The PURE variant which is cheaper than Innova V is meant only to bring the target customers to the showrooms. With the beige dashboard looking uncharacteristic of Aria and the front armrest missing , Tata wants people to look for the next model.

Compare the Pleasure variant with Innova V which comes in the same price and realize the value.
What you said about the Pure variant I think is absolutely 100% correct. No way does a person go into the showroom and looks at a Aria Pride and then want to buy the Aria Pure.

The Pleasure variant though can probably be helped by just one thing, ie alloys. If Tata can throw in those 17in alloys in the Pleasure variant, then I think it will stand a much better chance at enticing the Innova customer away from the Toyota showrooms. But of course prices must not rise by a massive amount, at best 10grand more than present situation.

Though honestly I still dont think Tata expect massive volumes even after this introduction of 4x2 versions. I think even a volume of about 600-800 a month will make the Aria a success for Tata. Even right now there are not too many models in its price range which are doing better than the Aria. I think only the Cruze, Corolla Altis, Fortuner, and Laura do better numbers.

Last edited by julupani : 3rd August 2011 at 15:54.
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:33   #26
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
What you said about the Pure variant I think is absolutely 100% correct. No way does a person go into the showroom and looks at a Aria Pride and then want to buy the Aria Pure.

The Pleasure variant though can probably be helped by just one thing, ie alloys. If Tata can throw in those 17in alloys in the Pleasure variant, then I think it will stand a much better chance at enticing the Innova customer away from the Toyota showrooms. But of course prices must not rise by a massive amount, at best 10grand more than present situation.

Though honestly I still dont think Tata expect massive volumes even after this introduction of 4x2 versions. I think even a volume of about 600-800 a month will make the Aria a success for Tata. Even right now there are not too many models in its price range which are doing better than the Aria. I think only the Cruze, Corolla Altis, Fortuner, and Laura do better numbers.
Totally agree with all your points Once you go Pride, you never go Pure . Also the odds are that the test drive vehicle would be mostly Pride.

I really don't understand the logic of scrapping Alloys from Pleasure variant. Maybe Tata foresee the need for giving discounts further down the timeline.

Tata would be happy to see sales crossing 500. The idea is brand building and hence they the price (no aggressive cost cutting).
Old 3rd August 2011, 16:44   #27
Senior - BHPian

Why is it so difficult to get a Pride variant in the 4X2?
The black interiors look so much better than the beige! And whats with that faux wood trims? Looks hideous, IMO.
But at least this time, the pricing seems to be right. The Pleasure seems to be priced exactly like the Innova V. Now, only if this 'T' is as reliable as the Jap 'T'!
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:07   #28
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by safari_lover View Post
What is your take, Stratos? Will it be a better buy than the Innova?
I'm not Stratos , but will still throw in my 2 cents : I still think the Innova is a better buy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by julupani View Post
But when I would go to the showroom, and I would look at a Aria Prestige or Pride, that's the one I would want. But then I will see that its a good 1.5 lakh more at least.
Bait & switch? Aggressively priced entry variants do good in bringing the customer to the showroom.

Quote:
Originally Posted by channelv View Post
But what the Aria is missing on, is the brand name and better A$$ of Toyota
Not really. What the Aria is missing, and what it'll hopefully get eventually, is the certification from owners who have completed 200,000 kms without a problem. If the Aria can manage that, it's going to pave the way to greater things for Tata Motors.

The Innova (and Qualis) have an unbelievable reputation on the street. Well deserved, I'd say.
Old 3rd August 2011, 20:30   #29
BANNED

Post deleted by the Team-BHP Support : You have been warned earlier; please do NOT post biased messages on Team-BHP. It's important for us, especially Senior Members, to call a spade a spade.

Accept a car for what it is, including the pros as well as the cons. We advise you to read our board rules carefully before proceeding any further.

Last edited by GTO : 5th August 2011 at 17:29.
PAVAN KADAM is offline   Received Infraction
Old 3rd August 2011, 21:37   #30
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Not really. What the Aria is missing, and what it'll hopefully get eventually, is the certification from owners who have completed 200,000 kms without a problem. If the Aria can manage that, it's going to pave the way to greater things for Tata Motors.
Isn't that how you develop a brand name?

Most Viewed