Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 16th July 2014, 11:59   #1516
Senior - BHPian

Though extended warranty is highly recommended on any german car, especially a D segment Jetta but would like to tell you that flywheel is not covered under warranty, nor is the suspension. The warranty on suspension is just upto 10,000 kms, think this is the least offered by any brand as most manufacturers atleast give a 30k kms warranty on suspension.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 14:00   #1517
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by coolboy007 View Post
Though extended warranty is highly recommended on any german car, especially a D segment Jetta but would like to tell you that flywheel is not covered under warranty, nor is the suspension. The warranty on suspension is just upto 10,000 kms, think this is the least offered by any brand as most manufacturers atleast give a 30k kms warranty on suspension.
This was one of the reasons why I did not opt for EW(My car has done only 16K in 2 years). I'ts just ridiculous that they are charging 61K when in the first place it should have been offered free of cost. On top of it Jetta is overpriced. I hope VW gets its sense back and provides warranty for 4 years and better A.S.S instead of having high expectations on market share & scaling it back later.
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th July 2014, 17:31   #1518
BHPian

I got the EW at about 46K at the time of delivery.

There is a link on the VW India website EW.pdf

Old 16th July 2014, 18:33   #1519
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
I hope VW gets its sense back and provides warranty for 4 years and better A.S.S instead of having high expectations on market share & scaling it back later.
Agree with all your thoughts and words. On top of it, VW are so cheap and finicky when it comes to warranty claims that they find reasons to just reject any claim, even their warranty process is so painful, first click photos, send to VW, wait for approval etc.

I have a Vento and the warranty cost was just 12k so i did opt for it as the part failure rate in german cars is quite high. Even if the warranty for Jetta is 40-45k, i suggest opt for it as the price of parts like fuel pumps, sensors(which are numerous in Jetta) would be sky high.

VW cars are wonderful to drive but the service back up is poor, both at dealer and company level. Wish they do some thing to improve the service or their sales would come down to 1000 units a month like sibling Skoda.
coolboy007 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 06:13   #1520
BHPian

Can owners come forward and share their duration of ownership and problems faced,if any.

In my case it was after 4 months - when I had a ABS/ESP failure warning that turned out to be a clogged ABS sensor.

Thanks

Last edited by hubolt : 17th July 2014 at 06:14.
Old 17th July 2014, 06:49   #1521
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
I think manufacturers are open to considering goodwill replacement for flywheels if there is a genuine case for it. Off-topic I admit, but Chevy replaced my Cruze Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) for free when they changed my clutch at 40k km and was charged around 24k in total for parts and labour. The DMF itself was 36k as per list price!
Old 17th July 2014, 10:07   #1522
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Can owners come forward and share their duration of ownership and problems faced,if any.
I have owned Jetta for 10+ months. It has run around 18k Kms. Not even a bulb replaced till date.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 10:10   #1523
BHPian

Quote:
Though extended warranty is highly recommended on any german car, especially a D segment Jetta but would like to tell you that flywheel is not covered under warranty, nor is the suspension.
Not entirely true buddy. My Laura's flywheel was changed 6 months back during the extended warranty. And it was further confirmed by Skoda that if no aftermarket alloys and upgraded tyres are put, suspension is covered as well.

EDIT: I didnt pay a penny for the same. Even the labor charges were waived off.
Rohan

Last edited by RohanDheman : 17th July 2014 at 10:12.
RohanDheman is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2014, 12:41   #1524
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by itwasntme View Post
but Chevy replaced my Cruze Dual Mass Flywheel (DMF) for free when they changed my clutch at 40k km and was charged around 24k in total for parts and labour. The DMF itself was 36k as per list price!
The manufacturers do change parts under goodwill warranty but they are not obliged to, we can not force them to do it, totally depends on the company if they want to give goodwill warranty or not, also Chevy has been known to provide much better service than vw india.
Quote:
Originally Posted by RohanDheman View Post
Not entirely true buddy. My Laura's flywheel was changed 6 months back during the extended warranty. And it was further confirmed by Skoda that if no aftermarket alloys and upgraded tyres are put, suspension is covered as well.
Great that they changed the flywheel but now VW India provides only a 6month/10,000 km warranty on suspension components, even rubber parts are not covered in extended warranty.

What ever it is, still suggest going for an extended warranty with any german car, if you are spending 20L on a Jetta/Octavia, 50k more for a warranty is well worth the peace of mind
Old 17th July 2014, 19:15   #1525
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I have owned Jetta for 10+ months. It has run around 18k Kms. Not even a bulb replaced till date.
Chethan...Never play the Jinx game with the German car. Its more than money that you spend when things go wrong.

Remember, i created a thread 4 years back and its dormant and it will stay that way for a long time for a simple reason of fear of jinxing something that i am not ready to spend emotional time on
VW2010 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 01:01   #1526
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Chethan...Never play the Jinx game with the German car. Its more than money that you spend when things go wrong.

Remember, i created a thread 4 years back and its dormant and it will stay that way for a long time for a simple reason of fear of jinxing something that i am not ready to spend emotional time on.
Emotional time? Exactly - neither before nor after - that is what I believe in.

Just because I am bound to die one day, I don't want to stop breathing right away.

I have had VW products for over 4 years now without much problems - touch wood. I am enjoying the car to the hilt and not worried about sharing my experience.
Chethan B G is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 18th July 2014, 06:21   #1527
BHPian

"Remember, i created a thread 4 years back and its dormant and it will stay that way for a long time for a simple reason of fear of jinxing something that i am not ready to spend emotional time on "

Thanks for sharing without sharing - I understand

Chetan - you have always been open about your car experience and reading your thread has inspired/pushed me to atleast share more of my brief expereinces with my car in the main thread , if not, your thread. thanks.

All this has definetly made me start driving my car a little more sedately and that has helped push the average to the 18's to 20's. While the fear lasts ..that is.

Last edited by hubolt : 18th July 2014 at 06:30.
hubolt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 08:41   #1528
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Have received a insurance renewal quote of Rs 25700 from Bajaj Allianz + 15300 for zero dep total approx 41K (this is the 1st renewal) have a Jetta CL - does it figure sound OK ?

Have also come to know that 2yr EW is now 61K
Hope this isn't too late for you. I just completed my first renewal and the extended warranty for my JettaCL. I paid 34.3k for zero dep with Bajaj Allianz. The initial quote was 41k for an IDV of 13.6l including a 20% no claims bonus.

I am not sure if this was the reason but I had asked for quotes at policybazaar.com and was inundated with phone calls from pretty much every insurance provider. I dont know if it was a result of this but BA reduced my premium with minimum haggling.

Incidentally I paid 46k for the extended warranty,based off a VW price sheet my dealer had and I couldn't extract a single rupee of discount off them.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2014, 23:05   #1529
BHPian

Thanks for the info on the insurance , when did you buy your EW ?
Old 22nd July 2014, 22:23   #1530
BHPian

I bought my car on the 23rd of July 2013 and purchased the 2 year EW on the 12th of July 2014.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed