Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th September 2014, 14:06   #1621
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
I am looking at the Jetta Comfortline diesel right now, and there is a bit of a confusion regarding the ICE in it.
The latest ones come with RCD320 system with 4 speakers in the front. RCD 320 is a better system than RCD 300 plus (it has bluetooth module). Since VW was so nice in giving us one additional feature, they decided to take one away.

Fellow bhpian mav2000 recently bought a TSI CL and confirmed it.

Last edited by etrast75 : 11th September 2014 at 14:06. Reason: typo correction
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 14:15   #1622
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
The latest ones come with RCD320 system with 4 speakers in the front. RCD 320 is a better system than RCD 300 plus (it has bluetooth module). Since VW was so nice in giving us one additional feature, they decided to take one away.

Fellow bhpian mav2000 recently bought a TSI CL and confirmed it.
So, the previous model had 2 speakers and 2 tweeters each both in the front and back. Whats the scene now in the back? No speakers or tweeters?

Mindblowing to imagine that the Jetta would have no speakers in the back! Even my old Amby has a couple of speakers in the back.
Old 11th September 2014, 14:33   #1623
BHPian

Yup, the RCD 320 with 4 speakers in front. This caught me unawares as well. I wish they had speakers at the rear, though the added bluetooth is very convenient.
mav2000 is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 11th September 2014, 14:49   #1624
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Yup, the RCD 320 with 4 speakers in front. This caught me unawares as well. I wish they had speakers at the rear, though the added bluetooth is very convenient.
Damn. This is sad.

Are there atleast placeholders in the rear where we can add additional speakers?
Old 11th September 2014, 17:33   #1625
BHPian

Has anyone bought a Jetta in Chennai in the last few weeks? What are the deals being offered? VW Mount Road is offering me either Free Insurance or equivalent cash discount. VW Abra is offering 50k cash discount. Should I bargain for more?
Old 11th September 2014, 20:02   #1626
Senior - BHPian

@pavanmadhini,

Its almost september. If you wait a month or two you can bargain more. When you are buying a car keep bargaining.

If you can give cash instead of load, trust me show them the money and bargain. They can close a deal in a day and they will listen to you if you play the cards right.

Bring competition by quoting skoda and other brands.

2014 make is so close to being called old in 4 months . Pitch in that line.

And if its not a hurry to buy one, wait for the festival season and year end for offers to start.

Abra - Check if Abbas is there. Reach out to him. He is a good salesman and you can work a deal with him for sure.
Old 12th September 2014, 10:11   #1627
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by pavanmadhini View Post
Damn. This is sad.

Are there atleast placeholders in the rear where we can add additional speakers?
Yes, there seems to be placeholders for the speakers in the rear doors and the rear parcel tray, but I dont know if the wiring is there or not. I will get it checked in the first service.
Old 13th September 2014, 02:30   #1628
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post

2014 make is so close to being called old in 4 months . Pitch in that line.

Abra - Check if Abbas is there. Reach out to him. He is a good salesman and you can work a deal with him for sure.
I quoted that line today! And speaking to Abbas only at Abra motors. He has promised to come back with the best he can do. Let's see how this goes.

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Yes, there seems to be placeholders for the speakers in the rear doors and the rear parcel tray, but I dont know if the wiring is there or not. I will get it checked in the first service.
Sir, if it's not too much of a bother, could you kindly check if the 2 door speakers(at the bottom) in the back are working? The salesperson at VW showroom showed me a 2014 Jetta Comfortline petrol which had speakers in both front and back, but no tweeters.
Old 14th September 2014, 13:11   #1629
BHPian

Yup that's the older model with 300+ system. The cars coming now have four speakers in the front and non at the back. I am sure of that as I have the car with me.
Old 15th September 2014, 11:11   #1630
BHPian

Did a 250km highway trip to shivasamudram and back. It was fun to drive the jetta compared to my old verna. Power always available on tap, extremely quick downshifts when you need to overtake and a fantastic cruiser. Got an average of 20 kmpl for the trip with 5 people on board. The first pictures of the car. Need to do a proper phot shoot.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20140914_142436_crop.jpg

Two issues
- Rear ac does not seem to be powerful. While the front was adequately cooled, rear passengers were complaining.
- One of the plastic pieces use to move the rear ac vent has already broken off. Need to get it fixed when I take it for next service.

I had clearly told the showroom guys to check the tire pressure before delivery. They said it has been done and when I checked it today, it was 44psi all around . Something never change.
etrast75 is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 15th September 2014, 12:28   #1631
BHPian

I needed some quick advice - I have a jetta HL AT, which is on lease and is 3 years old, 42000 kms; as it comes off the lease next month, I have the option of buying it for 11.20 or return it and get a new car. The Jetta user has already switched to a BMW, so the Jetta if purchased would be a spare car and for odd jobs and trips. Should I buy a 3 year old Jetta for 11.20 and pay for new tyres etc., or replace with a new Vento diesel DSG (which is around the corner) or a Polo GT tsi. I want an automatic.

The jetta is in excellent condition.
Old 15th September 2014, 13:43   #1632
BHPian

Fellow Jetta owners,
I have a very important safety question. Please provide your inputs

Is it possible to open the door (rear) by pulling the door handles even if the central locking in engaged? yesterday I had a semi scary experience when my son managed to get the rear door open by pulling the door handle when the vehicle was moving. He is used to seeing that we have to push a knob and only then will the door open in my previous cars. I have since engaged the child lock to prevent this from happening.

I read up a few sites where they said that VW cars are never "deadlocked" from inside for safety purposes. But I also read that you have to pull the door handle twice to disengage the lock from inside if central locking in engaged.

If the "pull handle to open" is by design, I will have to keep the child lock permanently engaged for safety purposes which can be a pain sometimes.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:06   #1633
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by gautam99 View Post
I needed some quick advice - I have a jetta HL AT, which is on lease and is 3 years old, 42000 kms; as it comes off the lease next month, I have the option of buying it for 11.20 or return it and get a new car. The Jetta user has already switched to a BMW, so the Jetta if purchased would be a spare car and for odd jobs and trips. Should I buy a 3 year old Jetta for 11.20 and pay for new tyres etc., or replace with a new Vento diesel DSG (which is around the corner) or a Polo GT tsi. I want an automatic.

isn't size a consideration for an odd job runabout? If so, the Polo TSI would make an excellent choice. I'm assuming you don't need to carry too many people in your spare car because the Polo has poor rear room.
Old 15th September 2014, 14:07   #1634
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

I would grab it since you know its history

Quote:
Fellow Jetta owners,

If the "pull handle to open" is by design, I will have to keep the child lock permanently engaged for safety purposes which can be a pain sometimes.
You will need to do this
Old 15th September 2014, 14:16   #1635
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Is it possible to open the door (rear) by pulling the door handles even if the central locking in engaged?

That was indeed a scary experience, and it's one I too have experienced. And yes, the doors can be opened from the inside even if the central locking is active. Maybe there are some tweaks that can be done via VCDS, but before that give this a go.

Go to the 'Convenience' menu under Settings on your MFD and go to 'Central Locking'. Check if playing with the settings under 'Door Unlocking' here does the trick. It should work, but I really can't be sure or check since I'm not near the car myself.

Quote:
I have a Jetta HL AT, which I have the option of buying it for 11.20. If the Jetta if purchased it would be a spare car and for odd jobs and trips.

Should I buy a 3 year old Jetta for 11.20 and pay for new tyres etc., or replace with a new Vento diesel DSG (which is around the corner) or a Polo GT tsi. I want an automatic.
I'd say the Jetta is good value-for-money at that price, but consider a few things.

1) Wouldn't a petrol runabout like the Polo make more sense since this spare won't see much running?
2) Do you need the extra space the Jetta affords?

There's no question of the Jetta being the best of those 3 cars, but it's a question of horses for courses. If I had to have a spare car in my garage for odd trips, I wouldn't keep the Jetta as the car of choice in this situation. I'd go for a brand new Polo TSI instead unless I wanted something that feels plusher or wanted more space and a boot. In that scenario a Jetta makes a lot more sense.

Think of what's needed/wanted and an answer will emerge

Last edited by iliketurtles : 15th September 2014 at 14:22. Reason: Added another post
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks