Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 16th February 2015, 07:36   #1831
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Does the hl dsg headunit support bluetooth audio streaming ? I know that it doesnt support switching of tracks like the Audi does but my friends polo gt with the rcd 320 supports bluetooth playback with track changes being done from the phone itself
Yes. HL DSG supports bluetooth audio streaming. It displays the artist and album information on the HU screen and the MID. You can also switch tracks (previous and next) and play/pause using the steering control and the HU. However, it is not possible to browse albums, artists and playlists on the HU.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 09:19   #1832
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Yes. HL DSG supports bluetooth audio streaming. It displays the artist and album information on the HU screen and the MID. You can also switch tracks (previous and next) and play/pause using the steering control and the HU. However, it is not possible to browse albums, artists and playlists on the HU.
Super! I was really hoping it did support this feature. The dealer blindly denied it though but then according to him the new Jetta is a 175 bhp car with a sunroof. :-)
Old 16th February 2015, 11:35   #1833
BHPian

Can someone recommend me Head unit that I can replace current RCD 310+. Prefer to have navigation as well as parking support. All without getting the warranty void.

Dealership recommended Blaupunkt 835. Do not know whether this will have parking indicator display for front and rear. If anyone in this forum use the same please throw some light on this particular model.
svkndv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 12:26   #1834
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
Can someone recommend me Head unit that I can replace current RCD 310+. Prefer to have navigation as well as parking support. All without getting the warranty void.
Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 and Dynavin N6 - VW. The RNS-510 is another option but a lot more expensive than these units and requires additional Bluetooth modules, harnesses, a GPS antenna and extensive VCDS coding.

Quote:
Dealership recommended Blaupunkt 835. Do not know whether this will have parking indicator display for front and rear.
It does.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-389117_10152762924625007_298199411_n.jpg

Source: Google Images

Quote:
If anyone in this forum use the same please throw some light on this particular model.
Refer this thread and this one for the Dynavin unit.
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th February 2015, 17:09   #1835
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crazy_Bean View Post
It is safe for sure. The car is the concern. Is it getting damaged because of the period as the mileage is really low.
No. At least get the engine oil changed. As the Jetta would be running on factory filled engine oil and it would be more than 15 months old.

To keep the car in good condition get it serviced on regular mentioned interval according to the manual.
Old 17th February 2015, 09:22   #1836
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

While reviews are up on many sites for the new Jetta, here's my two cents about the unnecessary face-lift!
What we will like:
1) six airbags as standard
2) new grilles and fogs
3) Audi A4 like rear
4) haven't changed the solid build
5) flat bottom sport steering with paddles for DSG
6) a Fatigue recognition system is a welcome addition to safety.
7) new silky blue metallic shade, is just a lot better than the Octy's race blue.

What we won't like:
1) Side profile, headlights, wheels, are exactly the same as the predecessor.
2) No power bump in the engines. No 1.8 TSI option, even the 1.4 TSI is of a lesser tune than that in the Octy.
3) over use of beige in an otherwise sporty cabin. Tacky wood finish is still there which looks like an afterthought stick on wooden finish.
4) at this price we expect genuine leather seats and memory settings for the seats.
5) a start stop button would be welcome.
6) no sunroof
7) no reverse camera
8) no upgraded instrument cluster, only marginal chrome and binaccle is new, a colour maxi dot would be welcome.
9) I expected Passat's cooled seats to be there, but again, no.
10) the two base models get basic RCD 310 music system which is very very ordinary for a car that costs 18-20 lacs. The Bolero in the highline is Bosch make, but nothing new here either.
11) the premium stalks on the steering wheel are missing.

So you can see my list of likes is much smaller than the list of dislikes or expected changes which failed to happen. I feel it's a completely unnecessary update in an already successful model. VW could sell the numbers if they get their game together and out produce the Octavia with lesser waiting periods. If one is on the lookout for a diesel saloon, there is nothing better on this segment. The car drives like it's going on water, be any types of roads. The set up is simply too perfect to be messed with. The build quality is something bigger siblings of the Jetta can take cue from. Except being a lift-back like the Octavia, the Jetta is as practical as they get.

Last edited by adi_petrolhead : 17th February 2015 at 09:26.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 09:59   #1837
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
Does the hl dsg headunit support bluetooth audio streaming ? I know that it doesnt support switching of tracks like the Audi does but my friends polo gt with the rcd 320 supports bluetooth playback with track changes being done from the phone itself
I could play the audio albums on my Samsung Galaxy through blue tooth streaming on the car's audio system and the quality is very good. I remember changing tracks or albums also using the buttons on the steering. (Zahir, Hope I understood your question correctly)

Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
While reviews are up on many sites for the new Jetta, here's my two cents about the unnecessary face-lift!
What we will like:
What we won't like:

IMHO jetta is a very understated car for what it is worth in terms of driving comfort, solid build, excellent handling in all types of road. I would say its a car for unassuming type of guys for whom reaching from place A to place B fast and safe in comfort is more important than few additional features or better music system. Whether this can only be selling point in Indian market is a big question.

And I do not understand the practicality of having sunroof in Indian environment.(I am old fashioned).

Fatigue recognition system? Do I have it? I have to check the manual.

Few things I did not like is ..the key location. In my Fiat Linea this is better. No rear parking camera. Steering feed back could be better. The head lamps get fogged inside after a long night dive in rainy weather after we switch off the lights.

Mod Note : Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

We advise you to read the Forum Rules before proceeding any further.

Last edited by moralfibre : 17th February 2015 at 11:42. Reason: Back to back posts.
Old 17th February 2015, 10:38   #1838
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I could play the audio albums on my Samsung Galaxy through blue tooth streaming on the car's audio system and the quality is very good. I remember changing tracks or albums also using the buttons on the steering. (Zahir, Hope I understood your question correctly)
Alavandar, thanks! This is exactly what I wanted to know :-) wonder why dealers deny the possibility of streaming over Bluetooth

I personally have gotten over the lack of usb in my other car because of this feature & was really disappointed when I was informed that it didn't exist on the Jetta.
Zahir is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 11:24   #1839
Senior - BHPian

I can back Alavandar up and confirm that Bluetooth streaming is indeed possible. I use it all the time exactly as he said.

As for USB, I believe there's an MDI cable available that plugs into your glove box, allowing for USB devices to be plugged in. I thought of going for it, but Bluetooth streaming and the SD card work great for me so I held off on it.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 12:21   #1840
BHPian

Watch the LIVE launch of new Jetta here http://goo.gl/5NiRf3

Any guesses for starting price?
mayanksabharwal is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 13:14   #1841
BHPian

I just thought I will air my on going affair with jetta dsg hl oct 2014,
So far I have driven 8400 km since purchase on 09 Oct 2014. Considering I was away for two months, we can say I have done about 4000km/month, mostly on high ways. The car is smooth like silk and I have not faced any issues except the following:-
a) Once I experienced white smoke from exhaust (at 400km). I took up with VW but this was apparently due to bad fuel quality, according to them.
b) The external cover of head lamps get mild / patchy fogging/ misting after long night drives in rainy weather (after switching off lamps). Took up with VW and awaiting response.
c) The DSG is very helpful in urban as well as high ways (although going for it was an afterthought and was not in my original plan).
d) I so far have not used the paddle shifts since I am very happy with DSG on D and S modes. I have to try them out.
e) I drive safe but that does not mean I am mean on the pedal. I had been pushing the car (after initial run-in) on the highways. Handling, braking, acceleration (pick up) are all superb. I am able to over take at will with out even a hesitation or eye wink, since the engine is able to deliver the required power. So far, except one Superb, no one had overtaken me on the highway. Then, I found he was madder and I am prudent not go for competitive driving. Safety first always.
f) Mileage: the best I got was 17.3 kmpl (not much compromise on speed but mostly empty high ways uniform speed) over 1440 km. The worst is 13.8 kmpl (over 780 km).
g) First check up at 7500 km was done at Mount Road VW Chennai. After that I had done another 1000 km and the car is absolutely a dream.

Negatives: Ingress and exit from the driver's seat - a bit difficult compared to my Marina (which was the best) and Linea. Jetta DSG is a darling for drivers and not a dream girl for feature lovers.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-average-17.3.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-misting-condensation-left-head-light.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-mist-inside-head-lamp.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg  

alavandar is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 14:54   #1842
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I just thought I will air my on going affair with jetta dsg hl oct 2014...
That is a nice looking car you got there. Have fun.

Quote:
a) Once I experienced white smoke from exhaust (at 400km). I took up with VW but this was apparently due to bad fuel quality, according to them.
If you observed white smoke coming out of exhaust for a minute or two, this is because of the regeneration of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), where the accumulated soot in the filter is being burnt off. Google "Jetta DPF regeneration white smoke" and you can get a lot of information on this. TDIClub forum has many threads on this topic.

I have seen this happening twice in my car in the almost 13,000KM it has run. I was alarmed the first time. I have reported this problem in my ownership thread here. VW service engineer said this was because of pollutants in the catalytic converter burning. One of my friends who owns an Octavia 2.0TDI later told me this is because of DPF regeneration.
graaja is online now   (4) Thanks
Old 17th February 2015, 20:38   #1843
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
b) The external cover of head lamps get mild / patchy fogging/ misting after long night drives in rainy weather (after switching off lamps). Took up with VW and awaiting response.
Check the rubber cover seals at the back of the headlamp - probably one of them is loose or haven't been seated/tightened properly. When I retrofitted bi-xenon projectors to my Polo's headlights, fogging was observed after a car wash. Turns out one of the covers were improperly tightened which resulted in the fogging up. Tightened it and never happened again.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you observed white smoke coming out of exhaust for a minute or two, this is because of the regeneration of the DPF (Diesel Particulate Filter), where the accumulated soot in the filter is being burnt off. Google "Jetta DPF regeneration white smoke" and you can get a lot of information on this. TDIClub forum has many threads on this topic.

One of my friends who owns an Octavia 2.0TDI later told me this is because of DPF regeneration.
The Indian Jetta does not have a DPF AFAIK. Please reconfirm this from a knowledgeable service adviser. FWIK, the Touareg had one.

Perhaps moderator ajmat can shed some light here.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th February 2015, 11:08   #1844
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
The Indian Jetta does not have a DPF AFAIK. Please reconfirm this from a knowledgeable service adviser. FWIK, the Touareg had one.

Perhaps moderator ajmat can shed some light here.
As DPF is part of the engine ecosystem, I very much doubt if they would leave out DPF in Indian Jetta. Also, all the symptoms of white smoke match with my usage (city driving vs highway driving) of the car, and active regeneration. I have ordered a VCDS cable, and once I get it, I should be able to confirm if DPF system is present in the car. Can other Jetta owners who have VCDS cable confirm if DPF system is present?

I have been reading about DPFs for the past couple of days and here is a brief information on what I understood about DPF.

DPF - Diesel Particulate Filter - is fixed to the exhaust system and it traps solid waste (soot) from exhaust gases and passes only the gases to the exhaust. This is to reduce emission. As soot collects in the DPF, it has to be burnt off which is called regeneration which takes place automatically. There are again two types of regeneration - passive and active.

Passive regeneration takes place automatically on highway runs when the exhaust temperature is high. When cars are used in city in stop-go traffic, the passive regeneration does not work as the exhaust temperature does not rise to the required level and soot builds up in the DPF. When the build up crosses a particular level, active regeneration kicks in.

In active regeneration the ECU makes some adjustments to the fuel injection such that the exhaust temperature is increased to very high levels and the accumulated soot is burnt off. This produces the white smoke.

Some useful links:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Diesel_particulate_filter
http://www.honestjohn.co.uk/faq/dies...ulate-filters/
Old 18th February 2015, 15:59   #1845
Senior - BHPian

Something I quite liked but did not mention in my previous post about my initial impressions of the New Jetta:
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2015volkswagenjettafaceliftsteeringwheel1.jpg
The steering now accommodates the Cruise Control buttons! So the stalk behind the steering wheel doesn't need to have it, and it makes the pleasure of using Cruise Control much enjoyable. See the picture attached, the yellow box I have marked is where the buttons are. It is a standard feature. This means that even new buyers of a Polo TSI or Vento can also opt for this steering at an extra cost, and not invest in the stalks separately, getting paddle shifts and cruise control in one product itself. Although it will definitely need a new steering module and hence will be expensive.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks