Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 19th February 2015, 13:01   #1846
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

The indian Jetta's do not come with DPF yet nor to the Passats. I can vouch for this since I clearly remember Hormadz asking the VW technical director this question during the Passat drive.

A DPF is something we would rather not have. It needs one to be driving at decent speeds to work effectively and get hot. For most of our city usuage, the changes are it will get blocked. It costs a bomb to clean and even more to replace, making the life cycle costs of future diesel cars questionalble

As for the white smoke, it might be condensation in the exhaust if the engine was started from cold
ajmat is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 01:55   #1847
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
As for the white smoke, it might be condensation in the exhaust if the engine was started from cold
I ran the car for about 140 km and stopped. I stared the car engine within two minutes of stopping, so as to repark the car/ Then I observed thick white smoke. Engine was not cold.
Old 21st February 2015, 09:14   #1848
BHPian

Do 2.0 TDI Skodas have DPF ?
Cause I distinctly remember that after highway drives (300 km) my Car (Laura 2.0 TDI AT) used to emit white smoke and the engine rpm used to be a bit higher than the idling rpm.
Old 21st February 2015, 11:05   #1849
Team-BHP Support

This DPF topic is getting interesting. Today, I observed the white smoke - this is the third time in 13,500km that i notice this. It cannot be condensation as the car was already warm and running for about 30 minutes. The last time I saw this was a couple of months back. Felt the temperature of the smoke and it was quite high. I managed to capture the smoke and have posted the video in youtube.

@alavandar, @ishlinea7260, can you confirm if the smoke you observed was similar? Higher idling RPM is one of the main symptoms of DPF active regeneration.

@ajmat, is there any possibility that DPF may have been fitted to the Indian Jetta in the previous facelift?

The best way to confirm is to get first hand information. I read in a forum that DPF is listed as a module in VCDS scan. If we can get confirmation from a Jetta owner with VCDS cable about the presence or absence of DPF, that will make things much clear. I have ordered a VCDS cable, and once I get it I can check and update the thread.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
The indian Jetta's do not come with DPF yet nor to the Passats. I can vouch for this since I clearly remember Hormadz asking the VW technical director this question during the Passat drive.

A DPF is something we would rather not have. It needs one to be driving at decent speeds to work effectively and get hot. For most of our city usuage, the changes are it will get blocked. It costs a bomb to clean and even more to replace, making the life cycle costs of future diesel cars questionable

Quote:
Originally Posted by alavandar View Post
I ran the car for about 140 km and stopped. I stared the car engine within two minutes of stopping, so as to repark the car/ Then I observed thick white smoke. Engine was not cold.
Quote:
Originally Posted by ishlinea7260 View Post
Do 2.0 TDI Skodas have DPF ?
Cause I distinctly remember that after highway drives (300 km) my Car (Laura 2.0 TDI AT) used to emit white smoke and the engine rpm used to be a bit higher than the idling rpm.

Last edited by graaja : 21st February 2015 at 11:35.
Old 21st February 2015, 11:49   #1850
Team-BHP Support

Guys, the easiest method to check is a visual inspection in the engine bay. If you have a tall cylindrical column connected after the turbo on the exhaust system, that is a DPF. If you don’t observe one, there isn’t any. Will confirm this today!

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dpf3.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-6268c625997ffa0f61613cfe067f135b.png
(From Partsbase.org)

I’ve read several articles about the DPF online and these were some conclusions I drew:

1. Indian cars are yet to have a DPF installed since the Bharat Stage IV norms do not mandate one.

2. The sulphur content used in the diesel available here is higher (in ppm) compared to what is actually required when we have a DPF installed.

3. DPF gets clogged periodically and requires cleaning. When it gets clogged you will get a symbol on the instrument cluster like this:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dpflightvwtdi.jpg

This cleaning is done by the system itself using the exhaust gas when the temperature is much higher (350 - 500 deg. C) which burns the particulate matter in the DPF (like an incinerator) without the physical removal unlike the air filter/fuel filter/oil filter. This is also referred to as passive regeneration.

The other method is active regeneration which happens when the soot loading in the DPF is around 45% and the ECU raises the exhaust temperature while turning off the EGR and fuel injection happens in successive intervals to enable the exhaust temperature reach the higher values so as to burn the soot off. This process takes anywhere from 10 to 15 minutes. I believe VCDS can be used to initiate active regeneration.

4. Removing or replacing the DPF is very hard because of the location in the system where it is installed and requires the front subframe/drive axle to be removed. Check out the images below:

Name:  DPF2.PNG
Views: 4589
Size:  662.9 KB

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dpf1.jpg

5. As the soot gets clogged in the DPF, the exhaust backpressure increases and power output decreases and the fuel efficiency as well.

6. Life of the DPF is much more than that of the other filters and if the soot loading reaches about 90%, the DPF calls for replacement. Repairing is not possible as the assembly is welded to the frame in the exhaust pipe system. A DPF is a lot more expensive as well (Eg. 700 Euros for a Audi A3/VW Golf 6 DPF assembly - eBay France).

Image sources: Google Images

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 21st February 2015 at 12:03.
Gannu_1 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 11:49   #1851
BHPian

@graaja yup what happened in my Skoda was quite similar.
Did you happen to notice the engine rpm during the process?
Old 21st February 2015, 12:07   #1852
Team-BHP Support

^^From what I know, none of the VAG cars sold in India have DPF.
Infact the only exception amongst the Euro models maybe Volvo (not sure about it though).

Edit: Have a look at Skoda UK Website. For the Octavia, they have engine options with/without DPF.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-screen-shot-20150221-2.36.43-pm.png
Source: http://www.skoda.co.uk/models/new-oc...ch/performance

Last edited by vb-saan : 21st February 2015 at 12:11.
Old 21st February 2015, 13:20   #1853
BHPian

That puts the matter to rest.
I have not seen that particular symbol on the dashboard during the observed "regeneration" process.
Old 21st February 2015, 15:20   #1854
BHPian

I too believe that the Indian jettas do not have DPF. IF there is DPF it may be an additive based in which case you will find the DPF closer to the exhaust than the engine . I , for one, have not noticed any white smoke (6 months/6000 kms). Will check today to see if can find anything close to the exhaust pipe.
Old 21st February 2015, 15:36   #1855
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This DPF topic is getting interesting. Today, I observed the white smoke - this is the third time in 13,500km that i notice this. It cannot be condensation as the car was already warm and running for about 30 minutes. The last time I saw this was a couple of months back. Felt the temperature of the smoke and it was quite high. I managed to capture the smoke and have posted the video in Youtube.
Looking at the video I feel you could be having an EGR issue. Please try to read out for any fault codes.
Are you experiencing any rough idle ?
I had similar problem with my Ford Focus. It was an non DPF model.
Old 21st February 2015, 16:08   #1856
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
@graaja yup what happened in my Skoda was quite similar.
Did you happen to notice the engine rpm during the process?
No. Unfortunately, I did not have the presence of mind to note the RPM during this.

Quote:
That puts the matter to rest.
I have not seen that particular symbol on the dashboard during the observed "regeneration" process.
The symbol will light up only if there is a problem with the regeneration process. It does not light up during regeneration.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Guys, the easiest method to check is a visual inspection in the engine bay. If you have a tall cylindrical column connected after the turbo on the exhaust system, that is a DPF. If you don’t observe one, there isn’t any. Will confirm this today!
Thanks for the images Gannu. Here is a photograph of the engine bay of my car. The contraption that is attached to the turbo definitely looks like the one in the second image that you have posted (attaching it again here for comparision), and hence should be the DPF.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc00949.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dpf.jpg

Quote:
Originally Posted by rranjith_kum View Post
Looking at the video I feel you could be having an EGR issue. Please try to read out for any fault codes.
Are you experiencing any rough idle ?
I had similar problem with my Ford Focus. It was an non DPF model.
Cant say there is any roughness during idle. I do not yet have a VCDS cable. Once the VCDS cable is there, I should be able to check if there are any fault codes. When you had this issue with Ford Focus, did you see the white smoke coming out always or just during rare occasions. The smoke is there for a couple of minutes and then it stops.
Old 21st February 2015, 18:48   #1857
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This DPF topic is getting interesting. Today, I observed the white smoke - this is the third time in 13,500km that i notice this. It cannot be condensation as the car was already warm and running for about 30 minutes. The last time I saw this was a couple of months back. Felt the temperature of the smoke and it was quite high. I managed to capture the smoke and have posted the video in Youtube.
I noticed the same on my Yeti a few times, and it seemed like DPF regen too. Though some people here on tbhp were convinced it couldn't be, I still have a feeling that these come with DPF now.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st February 2015, 20:03   #1858
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
I noticed the same on my Yeti a few times, and it seemed like DPF regen too. Though some people here on tbhp were convinced it couldn't be, I still have a feeling that these come with DPF now.
Thanks Akshay! After checking the engine bay, I am now convinced that DPF is present in the Jetta. There is an interesting thread in tdiclub forum where members have posted their VCDS reading of how much ash accumulation has happened in the DPF and the mileage.

http://forums.tdiclub.com/showthread.php?t=324067

Looks like there is no need to worry about the life of the DPF as there are cars that have run 150,000+ miles without a DPF change. I am going to let the ECU worry about DPF regeneration - be it active or passive, ignore the occasional white smoke, and enjoy the power and smoothness of the 2.0TDI and DSG combo

Thank you all for the inputs. This has been a very enlightening discussion!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd February 2015, 10:19   #1859
NKR
BHPian

[quote=ishlinea7260;3649453]Do 2.0 TDI Skodas have DPF ?

The Skoda ( Laura) does have the DPF. As, after extended city driving I have experienced increase in engine RPM which goes away after driving in lower gears for sometime.
NKR is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2015, 09:02   #1860
BHPian

What tyres would be recommended for an upgrade keeping the stock 205/55 R16 for the Jetta. Im looking for a balance between durability, comfort & grip. I drive on average roads with some horrible patches, lots of small stones(sharp) at times.

Any suggestions?

Most Viewed