Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 26th February 2015, 09:08   #1861
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Zahir View Post
What tyres would be recommended for an upgrade keeping the stock 205/55 R16 for the Jetta. Im looking for a balance between durability, comfort & grip. I drive on average roads with some horrible patches, lots of small stones(sharp) at times.

Any suggestions?
There's a new tyre from Continental called Conti Max contact 5 MC5.

Continental say it's made in India with some india specific features for our roads.

It's recently launched but it's worth a try.
Old 26th February 2015, 10:34   #1862
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Continental say it's made in India with some india specific features for our roads.

You're right. Seems like its unavailable though. Also isn't this a soft compound tyre? 20k km with spirited driving I'm guessing
Old 26th February 2015, 12:56   #1863
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post

Sorry for the double post but this is what I was offered

Goodyear buyback - 6k each
Michelin Primacy LC - 9.8k each
Continental MC5 - 9.3k each

For 50% rough roads - 50% average roads, which one is a more recommended tyre. Price difference seems negligible
Old 26th February 2015, 14:40   #1864
BHPian

Quote:

For 50% rough roads - 50% average roads, which one is a more recommended tyre. Price difference seems negligible
That's a real low price you have been offered.
I have checked for Goodyear, Yoko and Michelin here in Bangalore for 205/60/16 and was told 5.1k, 8k and 9.3k for new tyres. ( with exchange you should further reduced prices).
Old 26th February 2015, 15:28   #1865
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anup7649 View Post
That's a real low price you have been offered.
I have checked for Goodyear, Yoko and Michelin here in Bangalore for 205/60/16 and was told 5.1k, 8k and 9.3k for new tyres. ( with exchange you should further reduced prices).
You mean the buyback for Goodyear that I'm being offered is good right? I thought so too. Overall, whichever tyre I choose, I will pay between 3.3-3.8 extra per tyre

Question is which one is really better for bad-to-average roads in terms of durability, grip and ride.
Old 27th February 2015, 17:10   #1866
Senior - BHPian

The Michelins are the best of the lot. For the Jetta however try and get the P3ST instead of the LC. Going by the prices quoted, it seems the shop is indeed quoting the P3ST but offering the LC.

Quote:
Question is which one is really better for bad-to-average roads in terms of durability, grip and ride.
Old 27th February 2015, 20:03   #1867
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
The Michelins are the best of the lot. For the Jetta however try and get the P3ST instead of the LC. Going by the prices quoted, it seems the shop is indeed quoting the P3ST but offering the LC.
Yep that's what I'm settling on. Heard very good things about the p3sts. Thanks man
Old 1st March 2015, 06:14   #1868
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

That is a very good deal you got on the exchange . When I changed to Michelin P3ST, I got a buyback price of 4K for the Goodyears and 10K price for the Michelins. Had to pay a difference of 24K!

My experience with the P3STs has been fantastic so far - touchwood - about 13.5k kms. They are very silent, and sometimes I feel the car is gliding. And they are very grippy and confident inspiring through fast corners.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st March 2015, 10:31   #1869
BHPian

What psi are you guys running at. At 30-31 I feel the steering is very heavy.
Old 1st March 2015, 11:10   #1870
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
That is a very good deal you got on the exchange . When I changed to Michelin P3ST, I got a buyback price of 4K for the Goodyears and 10K price for the Michelins. Had to pay a difference of 24K!

My experience with the P3STs has been fantastic so far - touchwood - about 13.5k kms. They are very silent, and sometimes I feel the car is gliding. And they are very grippy and confident inspiring through fast corners.
Thanks for the feedback. I got my car delivered yesterday and the few kms I drove on the ncts were noisy. Getting the p3sts installed tomorrow morning itself
Old 1st March 2015, 21:15   #1871
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
What psi are you guys running at. At 30-31 I feel the steering is very heavy.
Mostly, I run all the wheels at 33psi for regular runs with my wife and two kids. When I have full load like 5 adult passengers, I run them at 34 or 35. With this pressure, I have felt the steering to be very light while stationery and low speeds, and it of course gets heavy at high speeds.
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:44   #1872
Senior - BHPian

Made in Germany Varta battery down in 1.5 years it seems with my neighbor's Jetta. The engine coughed and refused to chug along while trying to start and the MID threw a 'Error:Stabilization Control (ESC)'. It has been jump started from the VW guys here and they say the battery is to be replaced.
Old 2nd March 2015, 13:56   #1873
BHPian

I had the same problem with my battery after the same period , Vw dealer b u bhandari conducted 2 days of battery testing , proved to me that the battery was okay despite the engine not cranking and me having to call roadside assistance team to jump start it, customer care at the dealer promised that if it fails again they will replace it. So far its working past 2 months . let's see. In my case it was a steady deterioration staring with random esp faults and eventually the engine unable to crank, but replacement was not done.
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:08   #1874
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Made in Germany Varta battery down in 1.5 years it seems with my neighbor's Jetta. The engine coughed and refused to chug along while trying to start and the MID threw a 'Error:Stabilization Control (ESC)'. It has been jump started from the VW guys here and they say the battery is to be replaced.
The Varta battery on my Passat is as old as the car (3 Years + 3 Months and counting). Haven't had to change the battery since I bought the car. Though I did have some problems last year with the car starting (needed about 3 - 5 attempts to get it started). Strangely these problems disappeared on their own.

The guys at the authorised VW workshop told me to change the battery. But I had the battery checked out at an independent shop and was told it was working just fine.

As for the MID error message you described in your post (ESC), this cropped up on my car due to a failed sensor. Had to have the discussed sensor replaced 3 - 4 times (I have actually lost count!) under warranty. Though I believe such errors may pop up due to the battery being low on charge as well.
fordfreak is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd March 2015, 14:54   #1875
BHPian

In my case the dealer checked the car and told me that the esp faults were due to low battery charge it was a progressive deterioration over a 2 week period

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks