Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 10th October 2015, 19:46   #2116
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I was in market for used Jetta. I liked one. I used the VIN to check whether it has the cheat device. VW page says its there. Now what ?

It shouldn't affect me right if i buy it ?
Old 10th October 2015, 20:01   #2117
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
But the most premium car in that house doesn't!

Imagine not being able to pair your phone to the head-unit via bluetooth. How stupid, how foolish. While his wife & Dad enjoy streaming music & hands-free telephony, Nick has to use an AUX cable to connect.
On a similar note my even costlier, apparently luxurious car for most Indians, the BMW 320d doesn't gave Bluetooth streaming for music. It doesn't even get the vanity mirror light for heaven's sake. Doubt how much money they saved by skipping on these.
drmohitg is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 10th October 2015, 20:19   #2118
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Imagine not being able to pair your phone to the head-unit via bluetooth. How stupid, how foolish. While his wife & Dad enjoy streaming music & hands-free telephony, Nick has to use an AUX cable to connect his iPhone to the head-unit. Yes, his 18 lakh Jetta doesn't even have a USB port!
Unfortunatey in India, Jetta is priced way about global market and affordability pushes it to a market who can spend on their own BT device for extra money. Yes fact is they could have added that into the selling price but after sales extras makes money for them as well.

The German companies are enjoying the most exorbitant robbery from India. On the same note even the India made maruthis costs are actually way over priced compared to cars of similar or better nature outside the country.

A kia sedan (rio) is so cheap yet has more features than an SX4.

The local manufacturers to me are not even passing on the benefits of local manufacturing to the Indian consumers. No wonder these german manufacturers are taking the customers for a ride.

Luckily we have people who can afford and feed these car companies to exploit.
Old 10th October 2015, 22:39   #2119
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
A premium car should be such that it doesn't get outdated even after 5 years. Obviously, short-sighted VW doesn't get that.

My best friend Nick bought a Jetta Comfortline 3 years back for 18 lakhs. At that time, a 10 lakh Vento had a bluetooth head-unit, but VW only offered it in the Jetta Highline. What a bunch of nincompoops.
Are you sure the Highline Jetta had BT? I'm asking because Ajit's car is highline and it doesn't have it either!!

He uses a BT unit on the sun visor.
Vid6639 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 14:50   #2120
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My best friend Nick bought a Jetta Comfortline 3 years back for 18 lakhs. At that time, a 10 lakh Vento had a bluetooth head-unit, but VW only offered it in the Jetta Highline. What a bunch of nincompoops.
My neighbors 2 year old top of the line Jetta HL AT costing ~22 L OTR is not having an auto climate control while my 10.5 L OTR Vento Comfortline have one; no wonder they were pissed off with VW for that!

Though I can confirm that it has the steering mounted bluetooth control where as mine does not have it.
thoma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th October 2015, 17:12   #2121
BHPian

I guess VW learnt their lesson. My Jetta Highline has Bluetooth, auto climate control, lit vanity mirrors both on driver's and passenger's side, rear centre arm rest with cupholders, power outlet for rear passengers, adjustable driver's arm rest.

What it does not have is a USB port. Instead they give this stupid Media port inside the glove compartment.

And incidentally, as I just posted in another VW thread here, my car does not show up as affected on the Germany and UK sites. Go figure!

Cheers
tilt is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:00   #2122
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Are you sure the Highline Jetta had BT? I'm asking because Ajit's car is highline and it doesn't have it either!!

He uses a BT unit on the sun visor.
BT came a little later with the adjustable armrest. But they removed a couple of airbags at the back.
ajmat is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 12:28   #2123
BHPian

Quote:
A premium car should be such that it doesn't get outdated even after 5 years. Obviously, short-sighted VW doesn't get that.

Nick bought a Grand i10 for his wife last year and it has more equipment than his Jetta (including bluetooth functionality). We picked up a Bolt for his Dad today and it has bluetooth. But the most premium car in that house doesn't!

Imagine not being able to pair your phone to the head-unit via bluetooth. How stupid, how foolish. While his wife & Dad enjoy streaming music & hands-free telephony, Nick has to use an AUX cable to connect his iPhone to the head-unit. Yes, his 18 lakh Jetta doesn't even have a USB port!
Has Nick tried one of these products?

http://www.amazon.in/Quace-Bluetooth-Receiver-Adapter-Sounddock/dp/B00YU3XFL4/ref=sr_1_2?ie=UTF8&qid=1444626693&sr=8-2&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+for+ipod+dock#product Details

http://www.amazon.in/Musesonic-Bluetooth-Wireless-Receiver-Sounddock/dp/B00W9MVJNO/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1444626693&sr=8-1&keywords=bluetooth+adapter+for+ipod+dock#product Details

He should have a 30 pin IPod dock in the glove compartment, just stick this adapter into that socket, and I am guessing his bluetooth should be good to go.

Having spent 18 lakh on the car, might as well drop 1.5 k on this thingy. Much better than being scorned on by wife and father, methinks.

Of course, I entirely agree with the sentiment that it's bizarre for such premium cars to not offer stuff like this in the package.
reverse_gear is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 14:13   #2124
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
A kia sedan (rio) is so cheap yet has more features than an SX4.

The local manufacturers to me are not even passing on the benefits of local manufacturing to the Indian consumers. No wonder these german manufacturers are taking the customers for a ride.

Luckily we have people who can afford and feed these car companies to exploit.
Please take into account the amount of taxation in India. The only tax you pay for a car in US is the 6-7 local sales tax. The road tax/registration is yearly and not like here.

In India, for cars made in India, you have a 12-30% excise duty. Jetta probably falls in the 27% excise duty slab. If it is CKD, then customs duty I believe is 30%. Add 14.5% VAT on top of that. Add 15-20 % road tax on top of that and you are where you are. The price of car sans the duties is very close to what one pays in the US for the same car. For jetta HL that would be around 13-15 L which is the same price as in US at the current exchange rates.
etrast75 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 17:22   #2125
GTO
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by drmohitg View Post
the BMW 320d doesn't gave Bluetooth streaming for music.
I just don't agree with this nonsense. Even the 4 lakh Kwid comes with Bluetooth!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vid6639 View Post
Ah, my bad. USB, his car doesn't even have USB (Jetta Highline offered it at the time).

But even today, the dimwits provide Bluetooth ONLY on the Jetta Highline.

Quote:
Originally Posted by reverse_gear View Post
He should have a 30 pin IPod dock in the glove compartment, just stick this adapter into that socket, and I am guessing his bluetooth should be good to go.
No USB port in his car :(.
GTO is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th October 2015, 17:50   #2126
BHPian

Quote:

No USB port in his car :(.
No USB, no problem. The link I sent you is to connect to the 30-pin Ipod dock. See the image below from our official review (post #3 on this thread).

The bluetooth dongle should connect with that. Similarly he shouls also be able to get Ipod to USB adapters, in case he wanted it.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-142770.jpg  

Old 12th October 2015, 20:26   #2127
Senior - BHPian

Can you elaborate on this w.r.t. Jetta variant, engine details and maybe share the VIN page with the "cheat device" description.

It is my understanding that the 1.9 TDi engine that was/is sold here does not belong to the series that were 'fixed' but then one learns something new every day.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
I was in market for used Jetta. I liked one. I used the VIN to check whether it has the cheat device. VW page says its there. Now what ?

It shouldn't affect me right if i buy it ?
Old 12th October 2015, 20:58   #2128
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by khoj View Post
Can you elaborate on this w.r.t. Jetta variant, engine details and maybe share the VIN page with the "cheat device" description.

It is my understanding that the 1.9 TDi engine that was/is sold here does not belong to the series that were 'fixed' but then one learns something new every day.
This is May 2012 Highline AT model.
Old 13th October 2015, 23:48   #2129
BHPian

Well for all its lack of soft features compared to a car much lower down the rung we still went for it and hail it .. and we all know why. Agree it could have had USB, Bluetooth to sweeten things up but I don't think this would have been a decider else most of us would have an elantra, where you can control your music from the rear armrest and air condition your self through the seats.
hubolt is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 14th October 2015, 00:44   #2130
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Well for all its lack of soft features compared to a car much lower down the rung we still went for it and hail it .. and we all know why. Agree it could have had USB, Bluetooth to sweeten things up but I don't think this would have been a decider else most of us would have an elantra, where you can control your music from the rear armrest and air condition your self through the seats.
So true. Sometimes I feel the same way about the lack of features. I even would want to write a letter to VW on the potential of a luxury line jetta! Then I close that heavy door and start driving and it puts a grin on my face.. everytime!

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks