Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 21st November 2015, 22:04   #2176
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Can anyone confirm, the window lock switch at the drivers door which disable's using the windows for the other 3 doors, Activating it only disables the rear 2 windows? Or all the 3 windows?

In my jetta only the rear 2 windows gets disabled, Also compared to my XUV all the 3 windows get disabled.
Yep it only works for the rear windows. The co-driver can still open the window even if the lock is enabled.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st November 2015, 22:41   #2177
BHPian

Quote:
Can anyone confirm, the window lock switch at the drivers door which disable's using the windows for the other 3 doors, Activating it only disables the rear 2 windows? Or all the 3 windows?

In my jetta only the rear 2 windows gets disabled, Also compared to my XUV all the 3 windows get disabled.
I believe its only for the rear windows on all VAG cars. Front passenger window does not get locked with that switch.
ajaypjayaraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 16:18   #2178
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Hey guys,

My car is about 19 months old and the wiper blades seem to have lived their life - have hardly run actually.

1. The blades make a dragging sound when they run - assume thats an indication of end-of life for the blades?

2. Is this normal for the life of the blades - I kinda expected a bit more? My swift used to last a bit more from what I remember - but my memory is very fuzzy.

3. Where do you usually get one from? Amazon/ebay have a few - do you just go for that or buy one from the service center? I hear the service guys charge a bomb for this?

4. Related note: what is your experience with the automatic wiper system mechanism? I am not very happy - it seems to go off on its own quite a bit because of the dust etc I assume. Also, in the rains, my experience is a little on and off - as in its just not perfect (like sometimes it waits a long time before the wiper goes off - lot of water is accumulated in this time, also while turning the wipers usually goto full speed)? Perhaps something wrong with my car or some config problem? Its not a really big deal - just curious to know how others feel on this.

Thanks for your time.
Hi, my Jetta automatic diesel is also of the same age as yours(50k ODO) but wipers are all perfect. The noise you mentioned could be because of wiper alignment being disturbed. Does anyone while cleaning your car wipe off the wiper blades also with a cloth and then bring the wipers down? If true, that may have caused the alignment to get disturbed and hence the noise. I never touch the wiper as such but just raise them if essential and then clean. The same was my experience with vento whereby the wipers did last for me for 3 years as I didn't disturb the alignment. Both car wipers did last amazingly longer with exhaustive usage. My two cents will be not to touch the wiper blades and trust me it will be lasting much longer.
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd November 2015, 23:30   #2179
R17
BHPian

Hi folks,

Just wanted to highlight an interesting discussion I had with VW India recently. Will be showing snapshots of the e-mail exchange we had.

Lets start with the bottom-line: It seems that VW India is selling us a Jetta with a different crash test structure compared to the globally sold Jettas. Or more correctly, a crash structure which hasnt received the same upgrades which the American market Jetta did, even though theyre both manufactured in the same plant in Puebla, Mexico (from where our CKDs come), even though they come with the same passive safety equipment (6 airbags etc).

Why this matters: At least for the more expensive cars, Indian buyers would expect to receive the same safety standards as our global counterparts. As an example, Audi India confirmed to me (in writing) that the Indian Q3 and the A6 have received the same structural upgrades as their American counterparts and would perform absolutely similarly in crash tests since all models were built of the same plant and making any structural changes would actually be a cost and ops-intensive process for Audi. Read differently, this may imply that VW India went out of its way to avoid deploying the standardized upgraded body structure for the Indian market to perhaps save a few pennies.

Which then contradicts VW's grand public statements that any Indian VW is built to the exact same standards as its global counterparts.
Read the VW India MD's (now ex-MD) take on this issue - http://www.autocarpro.in/interview/p...ess-build-6284

(one of many - a simple google search will through up a few more)

The issue: A VW India representative confirmed to me on an email that the Indian Jetta and the North American Jetta have different body structures. This, despite the fact that they are built in the same plant in Mexico, with the same passive safety kit. The confirmation came in response to my query if the Indian Jetta had received the structural upgrades on its A-pillars and door sills which the American Jetta received. These upgrades had enabled the American Jetta's crash ratings on the IIHS small overlap test (the most stringent crash test today, in the world) to move from a 'Marginal' (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...oor-sedan/2014) to a 'Good' (http://www.iihs.org/iihs/ratings/veh...a-4-door-sedan)

The catch: Its more than a little surprising that VW would degrade the body structure of a CKD to save a few pennies. Whatever we may have against VW, they've always prioritized safety on their Indian vehicles (the Indian VW Polo was one of the few vehicles which didnt disgrace itself in the Global NCAP tests). Moreover, it may be complicated and expensive to change the body structure for a single export market (Industrial engineering - aware junta - please correct my understanding if wrong). Could this be a case of the VW Customer care representative not knowing what hes talking about or not having checked with the Engineering team before responding? But thats perhaps wishful thinking on my part in mind - VW India confirmed on 2 separate emails that the crash structures are indeed different - see snapshots below.

If so, this is a bit of a disappointment. Brought it to GTO's notice the other day and he was also wondering if the knowledgeable folks on our forum would have a perspective on this issue.

Would also help if someone here knew the right folks in the VW CKD / Engineering team who could either confirm or deny the VW India representative's statements.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-1.png  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2.png  

Old 23rd November 2015, 00:10   #2180
Senior - BHPian

Guys, Need help. I was just activating a few features which were nuked the last time my car was at the service center and during the auto scan i am getting a power steering fault code 01309, It was not there before, Power steering i feel is working fine, But only while taking a U turn, the steering i feel comes back to the center but slowly, There is no rapid steering movement like it was before.

Fault code : ddress 03: ABS Brakes (J104) Labels: 1K0-907-379-60EC1F.clb
Part No SW: 1K0 907 379 BM HW: 1K0 907 379 BM
Component: ESP MK60EC1 H46 0164
Revision: 00H46001
Coding: A63B40F8092700FB650C02E990190082A1180022
Shop #: WSC 12345 678 90123
VCID: 7EF588A3E975A7EEE91-802B

1 Fault Found:
01309 - Power Steering Control Module (J500)
008 - Implausible Signal
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01101000
Fault Priority: 3
Fault Frequency: 1
Reset counter: 236
Mileage: 21209 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2019.14.04
Time: 00:13:57

Freeze Frame:
Count: 11
Count: 2
Count: 12800
Count: 8212
Count: 49152
Count: 65280
Count: 513
Count: 0

Now i might be (JUST) feeling this since i have seen the fault code, there might be a problem there might not be i am really not sure, but i really do feel the steering is not centering itself as quickly it used to do before.

Fellow jetta owners can please confirm if while taking a U turn the steering quickly goes back to the center or it happens a bit slowly.

Also could find this video, Certainly doesn't happen the same way for me, but i am un sure if the jetta is equipped with servotronic steering.

Also after my car is back from the service center there is a fault code in the can gateway aswell which says module incorrectly coded, Even though i checked with my previous VCD scan the coding is the same.

Address 19: CAN Gateway (J533) Labels: 7N0-907-530-V2.clb
Part No SW: 7N0 907 530 AK HW: 7N0 907 530 AK
Component: J533 Gateway H57 1642
Revision: H57 Serial number: 281113F2000582
Coding: 351003
Shop #: WSC 00000 672 662446
VCID: 79FF9BBFF05B80D6DC3-802C

1 Fault Found:
01044 - Control Module Incorrectly Coded
000 - -
Freeze Frame:
Fault Status: 01100000
Fault Priority: 1
Fault Frequency: 254
Reset counter: 255
Mileage: 20909 km
Time Indication: 0
Date: 2018.14.21
Time: 19:11:28

Now there is no error lights on the instrument cluster and everything is working fine apart from the doubt i have regarding the power steering, I am just a week away from installing the self parking system and also replacing the can gateway with the AN version which supports fatigue recognition, Should i first visit the service center to get these things checked?

Any kind of help highly appreciated.
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:31   #2181
Senior - BHPian

You have to get it to service centre. May be the steering motor is it at fault. I am not sure this is something to do with just codes but wiring could also be at fault.

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01044

and

http://wiki.ross-tech.com/wiki/index.php/01309

Check that link for some details on why this code may appear.
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:39   #2182
Team-BHP Support

As a last resort, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 20 minutes, reconnect it, do an autoscan, erase all the errors and recheck if this is happening. Do backup the long codes of the module before making changes so you can revert back in case of an error later on. Copy paste the long codes to a notepad file.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 00:47   #2183
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You have to get it to service centre. May be the steering motor is it at fault. I am not sure this is something to do with just codes but wiring could also be at fault.

and

Yeah i saw those links too, Searched for symptoms relating to power steering issues, But it seems none of them match, The steering locksup and gets hard as soon as i turn off the car and also while giving pressure to one side and starting the car i can feel the power steering kicking into action, Only thing i have a doubt about is the steering returning to the center position slowly, Current jetta owners can please shed some light on this, Eager to know how does the steering reacts for you'll while taking a U turn.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
As a last resort, disconnect the negative terminal of the battery for 20 minutes, reconnect it, do an autoscan, erase all the errors and recheck if this is happening. Do backup the long codes of the module before making changes so you can revert back in case of an error later on. Copy paste the long codes to a notepad file.
Thanks will try this tomorrow and i hope it works, Have backedup the logs several times before, I have no strength left to deal with the VW service centre again, Specially when i am already being troubled by the Mahindra service centre

Last edited by Tanveer_2558 : 23rd November 2015 at 00:59.
Old 23rd November 2015, 09:47   #2184
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by R17 View Post
Which then contradicts VW's grand public statements that any Indian VW is built to the exact same standards as its global counterparts.
There is no global Jetta - India has always received the European Jetta, since launch, not the US Jetta. The European Jetta has been a superior car, with better suspension and interiors, and better handling. The European Jetta is, and has always been Euro NCAP 5 star rated car. About the safety improvements in the US Jetta, VW has gone on record to say safety wise, the old car was just as safe - they just made some changes to ensure that the new car tested well.

The VW customer team in India are idiots to not clarify the same - or maybe they're just unaware. A lot of early reviews spoke about the above, so if you spend some time on Google, you should be able to verify this. The safety comment from VW, I read in either Road & Track or Car & Driver.
bosporus is offline   (4) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:24   #2185
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
eah i saw those links too, Searched for symptoms relating to power steering issues, But it seems none of them match, The steering lockup and gets hard as soon as i turn off the car and also while giving pressure to one side and starting the car i can feel the power steering kicking into action, Only thing i have a doubt about is the steering returning to the center position slowly, Current jetta owners can please shed some light on this, Eager to know how does the steering reacts for you'll while taking a U turn.
Steering reacts normal. Sometimes the tyres can make it feel like the steering action is slow if you changed them recently to new rubber. Simply because you were used to work out slickness of the old tyres.

But the error code is definitely something to do with incorrect coding by mistake or real problem with the wiring.

As suggested disconnect the battery for few minutes and reboot. I would request you to do that in service station requesting the same.

Talk to the service engineer and not the mediator and explain that you are seeing this code when you did a test with your home kit. They can help reset if its just coding error.

Always start with backing up codes of your car before making changes. Every time i connect the VAGCOM i ensure i take a back up before playing with the codes and i almost have dozens of back with name and description of what was changed. This helps to quickly load certain set up even if the car is back from service and the service team reset everything.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:25   #2186
R17
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bosporus View Post
There is no global Jetta - India has always received the European Jetta, since launch, not the US Jetta. The European Jetta has been a superior car, with better suspension and interiors, and better handling. The European Jetta is, and has always been Euro NCAP 5 star rated car. About the safety improvements in the US Jetta, VW has gone on record to say safety wise, the old car was just as safe - they just made some changes to ensure that the new car tested well.

The VW customer team in India are idiots to not clarify the same - or maybe they're just unaware. A lot of early reviews spoke about the above, so if you spend some time on Google, you should be able to verify this. The safety comment from VW, I read in either Road & Track or Car & Driver.
Yup, agreed. There's no question that the European Jetta is a superior car - but this isnt about using better grade interiors or independent suspensions. Its about a passive safety issue - the body structure of the car.

Also, the Jetta is a global model since it's one car on one platform (PQ35) which is sold across the world. EU just gets better interiors and a modified suspension setup. This is very different from say a Honda Accord, whose 8th generation carried a different version for Europe/Japan and USA - https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Honda_..._Zealand.5D.29

And as much as I want to believe that the cars have similar safety (prospective Jetta buyer here ), unfortunately, thats clearly not the case.

The old car was definitely not as safe when it came to crash testing on small overlap tests of IIHS (do check the 2 links in my previous post, alternately here's another one which makes things clear: http://www.iihs.org/iihs/news/deskto...ety-pick-award ), it may have fared as well on the Euro NCAP's offset crash test but thats just 1 type of crash test. As a result, VW specifically had to upgrade and strengthen the A pillars and the door sills of the American Jetta - thats also detailed on the links.

Btw, havent found anything from VW saying that "the old car was just as safe - they just made some changes to ensure that the new car tested well." Do share those links if you find them. On the contrary, Google searches just throw up links of how VW upgraded the safety structure of the previous year model to comply with the more stringent crash testing norms eg - http://www.automotive-fleet.com/news...ty-rating.aspx
Old 23rd November 2015, 10:54   #2187
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Only thing i have a doubt about is the steering returning to the center position slowly, Current jetta owners can please shed some light on this.

I have no strength left to deal with the VW service centre again
Hey Tanveer.

I have to say it sounds a little bit off. When recenteringt he steering wheel, the motion is fluid and there's no slowdown whatsoever. Can't complain about it.

Perhaps it's a placebo effect due to you seeing the fault code, but it can't be denied that some sort of issue, perceptible or imperceptible, exists. I'd go with what Gannu says and see if that fixes it. Fingers, eyes and laces crossed, it will.

Which service center do you go to usually? My one experience with the Kurla center was alright, but I found the one at Parsi Panchayat Road in Andheri (East) better, especially my last one. Prasad handled the car and I was thoroughly impressed by his professionalism and ability to meet promised deadlines. If at all you have to drop the car off, give it to them and ask for him. Hopefully you'll have a much better service experience!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd November 2015, 16:58   #2188
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

and

Quote:
Steering reacts normal. Sometimes the tyres can make it feel like the steering action is slow if you changed them recently to new rubber. Simply because you were used to work out slickness of the old tyres.

But the error code is definitely something to do with incorrect coding by mistake or real problem with the wiring.

As suggested disconnect the battery for few minutes and reboot. I would request you to do that in service station requesting the same.

Talk to the service engineer and not the mediator and explain that you are seeing this code when you did a test with your home kit. They can help reset if its just coding error.

Always start with backing up codes of your car before making changes. Every time i connect the VAGCOM i ensure i take a back up before playing with the codes and i almost have dozens of back with name and description of what was changed. This helps to quickly load certain set up even if the car is back from service and the service team reset everything.
I am still using the stock tyres which have run 22k, And checked the tyre pressure as well which was all good at 32 PSI, Now today i paid extra attention while driving and voila! The problem is only while taking a full U turn, The steering will starts turning slowly which results in your car going around in circle instead of going straight.

Have backedup the logs, But i think ill just ask the service centre to scan the car, I don't want them to blame me for doing anything with a home kit (You can't trust VW service centre's really)

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hey Tanveer.

I have to say it sounds a little bit off. When recenteringt he steering wheel, the motion is fluid and there's no slowdown whatsoever. Can't complain about it.

Perhaps it's a placebo effect due to you seeing the fault code, but it can't be denied that some sort of issue, perceptible or imperceptible, exists. I'd go with what Gannu says and see if that fixes it. Fingers, eyes and laces crossed, it will.

Which service center do you go to usually? My one experience with the Kurla center was alright, but I found the one at Parsi Panchayat Road in Andheri (East) better, especially my last one. Prasad handled the car and I was thoroughly impressed by his professionalism and ability to meet promised deadlines. If at all you have to drop the car off, give it to them and ask for him. Hopefully you'll have a much better service experience!
Hello karan!
Yes just confirmed it today, While taking a U turn the car won't recenter itself. So there is something wrong! Which means ill have to deal with the service center again! Tried disconnecting and connecting the battery again, But did not work.

I had used sewri once, Made a Swear to not go back there again, And then used the new one at kurla, The staff is always willing to help but due to lack of knowledge they are useless most of the time. Will give the andheri east workshop a call, Thanks for the info.

Also, About the can gateway fault code, Manually clearing it will clear the fault code, But it will again comeup during an autoscan, I have checked all the coding and its the same since i bought the car, I wonder what might be wrong?
Old 23rd November 2015, 17:53   #2189
Senior - BHPian

Please check this thread as well

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/st...ion-reset-mk5/

The more in research the more I find complex issues including ball joint etc.
Old 23rd November 2015, 22:51   #2190
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Please check this thread as well

http://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/st...ion-reset-mk5/

The more in research the more I find complex issues including ball joint etc.
Exactly, And to top it all, I am not only worried about whats causing the issue, But also about how would the service centre handle it, The last time they took 10 days to find why am i getting the airbag error on the instrument cluster, Which i already knew after a scan that the right hand side crash sensor had gone kaput.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks