Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 4th December 2015, 04:35   #2221
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Have you run-in the car properly?

A car which is not run-in properly and when driven by multiple people (in the initial stages), can sometimes have the symptoms you have mentioned.

Jetta is an absolute work-horse. Take good care of it and it will serve you well.

Just my opinion - no offense please.
do we need to run in German cars. I didn't - and VW says too that you don't need to run in their cars.

Run in a typical Jap-Korean phenomenon.
Old 4th December 2015, 05:10   #2222
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
do we need to run in German cars. I didn't - and VW says too that you don't need to run in their cars.

Run in a typical Jap-Korean phenomenon.
Are you sure, I was in an impression that all cars do need run in. Because the scientific explanation given for running in the engine could be applicable for all engines as per my understanding.

Did you get this information form the owners manual?

Last edited by ecenandu : 4th December 2015 at 05:11.
Old 5th December 2015, 01:02   #2223
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ecenandu View Post
Are you sure, I was in an impression that all cars do need run in. Because the scientific explanation given for running in the engine could be applicable for all engines as per my understanding.

Did you get this information form the owners manual?
Well here's a fact, in the past engine break-in period was very critical to the overall life or durability of the engine . The break-in period required has changed over the years with improved pistons ring materials and designs. Smaller engines hardly need a break-in time of a around 5-10 hrs(majority of the break-in occurs during this time period) max in comparison to the engines of the past, aluminium cylinder bore engine piston rings break-in faster than those on cast-iron cylinder bores.

The break-in style guidelines on any new car doesn't put any restrictions or limitations on the generally usage and more on not to put the engine through excessive demands.

Example, the manual will specify that the car be driven normally, but not in excess of the highway speed limit.
Old 5th December 2015, 01:10   #2224
BHPian

The factories in which the engines are produced are now capable of better machining and assembly. It is easier to hold tighter*tolerances*now, and the average*surface finish of a new cylinder wall has improved even on cheaper car units.

Some users will not give credence to the engineers and will stick to their own ideas anyway; but their careful break-in beliefs are still harmless and serve roughly like a placebo in allowing them to assure themselves that they've maximized the equipment's working lifespan through their due diligence.
Old 5th December 2015, 23:42   #2225
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by KTM_aravind View Post
The break-in style guidelines on any new car doesn't put any restrictions or limitations on the generally usage and more on not to put the engine through excessive demands.

Example, the manual will specify that the car be driven normally, but not in excess of the highway speed limit.
Agree, I just wanted to refute that break in is not just a phenomenon. I suggest to people that stick with manufacture recommendations, that would serve the purpose far better than our generalised conclusions.
Old 6th December 2015, 00:29   #2226
Senior - BHPian

To me the break in is the time a driver should use to get used to the limitations of the car. Period.

Just use the first 1000 kms cautiously to understand how much one can push.
Old 8th December 2015, 08:23   #2227
BHPian

Chennai flood impact - I had to take my car through my water logged basement to the surface. At the deepest level, the water was probably 15-18 inches deep.
Everything was fine and drove the car to a dry place and parked the car. Next morning, I find the car fully dead - even the doors had to opened manually. One of my neighbours mentioned that there was some motor running sound coming from the car through the night.

Before calling the Insurance or VW Service folks, not sure if I should try and jump start. Any thoughts?
Old 8th December 2015, 08:28   #2228
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rammee View Post
Chennai flood impact - I had to take my car through my water logged basement to the surface. At the deepest level, the water was probably 15-18 inches deep.
Everything was fine and drove the car to a dry place and parked the car. Next morning, I find the car fully dead - even the doors had to opened manually. One of my neighbours mentioned that there was some motor running sound coming from the car through the night.

Before calling the Insurance or VW Service folks, not sure if I should try and jump start. Any thoughts?
Don't try to start! Let the service guys take a look first.
KTM_aravind is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 11:32   #2229
Senior - BHPian

You probably short some wires or could be simple rat bite. Tow the car and get it checked.

Check the battery and jump start but i feel something is short. 15-18 inches is close to a feet and a half of water that has some decent access to certain parts.

If there was a running sound coming from the car it could be the radiator fans at worst case. Your safe bet is a mechanic atleast.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th December 2015, 12:40   #2230
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
You probably short some wires or could be simple rat bite. Tow the car and get it checked.

Check the battery and jump start but i feel something is short. 15-18 inches is close to a feet and a half of water that has some decent access to certain parts.

If there was a running sound coming from the car it could be the radiator fans at worst case. Your safe bet is a mechanic atleast.
Have requested for a tow. With so many cars in the city under water, it looks like it would be few days before they would come. That is what the 'Road Side Assistance' lady told me. And it free of cost as VW is providing free tow services for all flood affected vehicles!
Any idea how I can get this towing expedited? I called up Sundaram and they give me the same 1 800 number.
Old 8th December 2015, 12:55   #2231
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any idea how I can get this towing expedited? I called up Sundaram and they give me the same 1 800 number
Unless you find a local tow company for cost VW will take its time due to the sudden rush. Like i said if you can find a local mechanic you can ask him to check the basic.

It could simply be a battery issue but being a VW just be ready for anything VW service may bring up .

Even under warranty this could become a costly affair.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th December 2015, 18:44   #2232
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Unless you find a local tow company for cost VW will take its time due to the sudden rush. Like i said if you can find a local mechanic you can ask him to check the basic.

It could simply be a battery issue but being a VW just be ready for anything VW service may bring up .

Even under warranty this could become a costly affair.
Got the battery recharged and as soon as I connect, the radiator fan comes on. Vehicle starts normally though we lights such as the Steering wheel symbol lighted up - i assume they would go off if I drive for few mins.
Looks like the some temp. sensor is faulty or the coolant fan control module. Have disconnected the battery and deciding whether I should drive it to the service station or get it towed. No news from the tow folks yet.
Old 11th December 2015, 00:27   #2233
Senior - BHPian

@Rammee,

Please dont risk connecting and starting again. Everytime you are are trying to send power to different parts you are risking more damage.

If the water definitely seeped in, trust me when i say its not completely dry yet.

Be careful about molds and rats at this point. Take it to service station. The wait is worth for the damage is minimal as they check for all the basic stuff.

Temperature sensor is right at the front of your car and if it was under water, you probably have some more components and sensor under water including some ABS sensors etc.

Please dont switch on the car till they diagnose and fix anything that requires a fix.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th December 2015, 10:55   #2234
BHPian

Thanks @VW2010. I agree - will wait for the vehicle to be towed.
Old 16th December 2015, 12:25   #2235
BHPian

hi guys

One question.

Booked a CL Jetta a couple of weeks ago and I might get it in Jan Ist week.

I want to change that stock RCD 320 with something with navigation and reverse camera. The dealer at KTC VW quoted some 65k for blaupunkt philadelphia, along with 2 rear speakers (which does not come with CL - god knows why!) and reverse camera.

but the Vagtune guys here told me that they could give me a dynavin HU, with oem speakers and rearcamera for around 62 K. they also said something about extra wiring needed for rear speakers in case I go for blaupunkt speakers in the rear; and since dynavin is oem, it has connectors or something - which frankly I didnt understand a bit :(

I have no idea about these two and the difference in amount is not the concern, but rather - which is the better one? dynavin or blaupunkt?

Most Viewed