Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 22nd December 2015, 15:44   #2266
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by svkndv View Post
I have misplaced my wheel lock key somewhere. What could be the charge for replacement keys from dealer. Is there any way to remove the tire without having supplied key?
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
Did VW supply the anti-theft nuts with the car or was this an add-on?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
Oh boy! Now I should search for and find my wheel lock key as well - do not recall seeing anything in the kit they provided an year back!
Actually, these are not anti-theft nuts that require a key to remove. These are just protective caps on the hex nuts. They look like they need a hex key to remove, but this in fact is a deception. Fret not if you have misplaced the key. A simple jugaad can remove these caps exposing the nuts. Once the nuts are exposed, you can remove them with a regular tire wrench.

I made a small DIY video for this. Hope this helps

graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:08   #2267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Actually, these are not anti-theft nuts that require a key to remove. These are just protective caps on the hex nuts. They look like they need a hex key to remove, but this in fact is a deception. Fret not if you have misplaced the key. A simple jugaad can remove these caps exposing the nuts. Once the nuts are exposed, you can remove them with a regular tire wrench.

I made a small DIY video for this.
I think there's a confusion here!

I am referring to these anti-theft nuts:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-lb.jpg

Usually it is one for each wheel. The Skoda cars used to come with these.

What graaja is referring to OTOH is the plastic protection caps:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-image.jpg
Old 22nd December 2015, 16:09   #2268
BHPian

Quote:

I made a small DIY video for this. Hope this helps
Dear graaja,

Awesome work. Absolutely as per the KISS (Keep It Simple Stupid!) principle.

Another alternative would be to borrow a key from another Jetta users. Right?

Girish Mahajan

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 22nd December 2015 at 17:41. Reason: Removing video from the quoted post.
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:26   #2269
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I am referring to these anti-theft nuts...
Hi Ganesh,

I was aware of the anti-theft nuts (from your ownership thread). I also remember the conversation I had with the SA during delivery. The SA showed me this plastic cap and said this is a protective cap and needs a key to be removed. Then he used this metal piece to remove it, and I mentioned to him this hardly is a protective cap and can be removed with a small bent wire.

However, your photo of a wheel with one anti-theft nut got me worried, as I have never checked all the bolts in the Jetta. Also, in the tools holder in the spare wheel there is one blank spot which looks like a holder for some key which got me more worried.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-1.jpg

So, I removed the plastic caps on all the wheels and confirmed that there is no anti-theft nut on any of the wheels.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-2.jpg

However, I do not know if the latest version of the Jettas come with one anti-theft nut.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GKMahajan View Post
Another alternative would be to borrow a key from another Jetta users. Right?
Absolutely, that would be another alternative

Last edited by graaja : 22nd December 2015 at 17:27.
graaja is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:39   #2270
BHPian

Quote:
I think there's a confusion here!

I am referring to these anti-theft nuts:
My 2014 Jetta HL does not have any anti theft wheel nuts. Only the caps. I remember being surprised that there are no anti theft nuts when I took the car for rotation as these alloys are quite expensive. Any ideas on where to get one?
Old 22nd December 2015, 17:43   #2271
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
My 2014 Jetta HL does not have any anti theft wheel nuts. Only the caps. I remember being surprised that there are no anti theft nuts when I took the car for rotation as these alloys are quite expensive. Any ideas on where to get one?
Could you check with the Skoda dealership in your city? Skoda retails a set for 2.5k and thereabouts. I got mine along with some other parts from Skodaparts UK.

Link - http://www.skodaparts.com/product/lo...008-2014-24821
Gannu_1 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 20:13   #2272
Senior - BHPian

I have purchased a set from the VW dealer for about 4k and using it for the past two years. Gives piece of mind while traveling to remote locations for days..

These keys are exclusive and cannot be used on any other set / car.

I would suggest lathe work to get a duplicate key done. All the best.

Please update. Who knows, I may also require it in future..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd December 2015, 21:42   #2273
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ddis_dude View Post
My first "problem" with VW service just began: my 2014 Jetta barely - just barely - kissed the number plate of a lorry in front. The glass in front has cracked. Any suggestions?

One more unrelated problem: my fuel-door is not unlocking. It does from time to time - just not when I want it to! Any suggestions for a quick-fix or do I have to stop by the service-center for this one too?

Hi there.

Sorry to hear about the cracked headlight. Perhaps you can have the part ordered from somewhere else and the install done at a top notch independent garage? VW will always say you should replace the entire assembly, it's a known thing when it comes to the headlights. Little you can do there. If you can live with it being taped up, do so. If try to get it done through an independent channel if I were you.

Also, my own fuel lid has been an issue too. They changed the actuator the first time around and apparently lubricated it the second time around. Issue never recurred. Push for a replacement of the fuel lid actuator under warranty.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd December 2015, 10:17   #2274
BHPian

Quote:
*SNIP*
However, I do not know if the latest version of the Jettas come with one anti-theft nut.*SNIP*
My May 2015 Jetta does not come with lock-nuts, only the plastic caps.

Cheers
Old 23rd December 2015, 11:00   #2275
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
VW service just began: my 2014 Jetta barely - just barely - kissed the number plate of a lorry in front. The glass in front has cracked. Any suggestions?

If you are OK with searching in places like pudupet or similar in your city you can find these for pretty cheap. They are usually recovered from accident vehicles and sometimes dropped to stores by same old mechanics for quick buck.

Also check with service manager or director and ask him for used parts they save from totalled cars and accident ones. Usually they say they don't have but enough chasing will get you a mildly used ones.
VW2010 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th December 2015, 06:32   #2276
Senior - BHPian

Back to chennai and back on the mkv. What a world of difference between the accord and Jetta. Even with over 70 minute drive of around 23kms it gave me smiles.

Have to change tyres, rims, breaks and mostly service the suspension.

Anyone selling their stock rims

Jetta brings back smile for sure and I can't wait to fix the last few pending things.

Will VW have those rims and tyres usual people upgrade at showroom?
Old 28th December 2015, 02:02   #2277
BHPian

Hello guys,
I'm planning of purchasing a Volkswagen Jetta soon in the near future but I have a small query. First it's great to see that Volkswagen has given great attention to safety and all the 3 variants come with standard safety equipment. So after checking it out, I have planned to check out the Comfortline variant and yes, the HU is not as great as the Highline one. But what's of a real shocker is that the Comfortline gets only two speakers and two tweeters at front and that's something of too much of skimping for a 20 Lakh car. Is this true. Should we need to go for an extra set of speakers for the rear doors. Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline owners, please help me on this query. Secondly how are the stock headlights? Are they good enough? Please help me out on this also. I'm a person who doesn't tinker my car much with aftermarket goodies so your help will be valuable .
Aniruthan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 11:16   #2278
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
Hello guys,
I'm planning of purchasing a Volkswagen Jetta soon in the near future but I have a small query. First it's great to see that Volkswagen has given great attention to safety and all the 3 variants come with standard safety equipment. So after checking it out, I have planned to check out the Comfortline variant and yes, the HU is not as great as the Highline one. But what's of a real shocker is that the Comfortline gets only two speakers and two tweeters at front and that's something of too much of skimping for a 20 Lakh car. Is this true. Should we need to go for an extra set of speakers for the rear doors. Volkswagen Jetta Comfortline owners, please help me on this query. Secondly how are the stock headlights? Are they good enough? Please help me out on this also. I'm a person who doesn't tinker my car much with aftermarket goodies so your help will be valuable .
You can easily get rear speakers installed at any good Sound installer if you sit at the back. I sit most of the time in front seat and i dont feel the need - the stock one's are pretty decent quality.

Headlights arent brilliant - i have ordered Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs to replace them - simple plug and play job.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 11:21   #2279
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aniruthan View Post
Hello guys,
same dilemma you are in, where i was 3 years ago. But lack of vitamin M made things easy for me and went for trendline, the cheapest one, just for engine, build quality and safety features. Never looked into specs.

Since you are already aiming for comfortline, i would strongly recommend pushing for highline. difference may be about 1~1.5 lacs, but then you will never require any other mods at all. Factory fit is always a factory fit. The bi-xenon headlamp with DRL itself makes half the money worth it, consider the drool worthy (navarra) alloys for rest of it.

P.S. - You get a big differentiation in terms of projector with DRL assembly from Vento, incase you come across any.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th December 2015, 13:13   #2280
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
You can easily get rear speakers installed at any good Sound installer if you sit at the back. I sit most of the time in front seat and i dont feel the need - the stock one's are pretty decent quality.

Headlights arent brilliant - i have ordered Philips Xtreme Vision bulbs to replace them - simple plug and play job.
Thanks for your prompt reply buddy. Will check out for good speakers and will install them if I go for Comfortline. And regarding the headlights, I need more help on them as I will be needing to replace them for my Vento as well. I don't want to tinker much with the wiring so would like same specs with a brighter avatar.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Since you are already aiming for comfortline, i would strongly recommend pushing for highline. difference may be about 1~1.5 lacs, but then you will never require any other mods at all. Factory fit is always a factory fit. The bi-xenon headlamp with DRL itself makes half the money worth it, consider the drool worthy (navarra) alloys for rest of it.
What you've told has made me think once again buddy. What you've told is very right. But in Tamilnadu we're getting a price difference of around 3 Lakh rupees on road. The Comfortline comes around 20Lakhs on road Madurai and Highline MT 23Lakhs on road. But combined with that I'm getting a great deal of a discount of Rs.1,20,000. So I can consider Highline variant as well. Will do a study and will keep you updated.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks