Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 15th January 2016, 09:46   #2296
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Just got my brakes fixed. VW quoted the following

- Front Brake Pad - 3493
- Frond Disc - 8734 - 950 Labor
- Brake Oil - Replace - 1500(Including labor)

My car is out of warranty so got it fixed outside through VW and Audi Service Engineer.

Disc was basically removed, took it to lathe to smoothen out the edges and the fixed back.

Total cost - 4800 including Brake pads. The reason was very clear when the discs start to be used the outer edge of the disc protrudes and the service centres will only replace the entire disc. We simply took it out, went to lathe, cleaned up the protrusion with over 75% of the disc still perfectly fine. Poped it back and the car brakes like every before.

Since it was done by the same qualified mechanic from VW and Audi i have no concerns.

For Chennai folks if you need help with any service outside the service center let me know. This SE can travel to your place and also has the VAG Com for even checking errors and helping with a fix.

Next - Get Flywheel, Suspension kit and another sets of brake pads for future installation when i return from the US.
VW2010 is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 15th January 2016, 20:03   #2297
BHPian

Jump started the car today the voltage across terminals before jumpstart read 12.31 volts , call up the Vw centre , was told that it should be above 12.5 v , idled the engine for half an hour , cleared the errors as advised by tanveer , had an esp and and error, drove it out all day , if it doesn't crank smoothly tomorrow I'll be lining up a new battery, also washed and hard waxed the alloys
Old 16th January 2016, 00:09   #2298
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Jump started the car today the voltage across terminals before jumpstart read 12.31 volts , call up the Vw centre , was told that it should be above 12.5 v , idled the engine for half an hour , cleared the errors as advised by tanveer , had an esp and and error, drove it out all day , if it doesn't crank smoothly tomorrow I'll be lining up a new battery, also washed and hard waxed the alloys
If it doesn't crank smoothly tomorrow do change the battery, How old is your battery/ car?
Old 16th January 2016, 17:46   #2299
BHPian

The car is 2.5 yrs almost , cranked smoothly today
Old 16th January 2016, 18:24   #2300
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
The car is 2.5 yrs almost , cranked smoothly today
Okay, Make sure you keep a check on the battery, Getting stuck during a long drive or even while your travelling is frustrating and very much embarrassing if you have to jump start the car.
Old 16th January 2016, 23:46   #2301
BHPian

Agree , thanks for the help and advice , will keep a regular check
Old 18th January 2016, 13:52   #2302
Senior - BHPian

I would look at DIN 74 also, when my batteries need replacement. Amaron PRO DIN74 is a good replacement option for Jetta. This is physically compatible, comes with 60 months warranty and also has high cranking current.
Old 19th January 2016, 20:51   #2303
BHPian

friends, does the 2016 Jetta highline DSG comes with the "Auto hold" feature. This allows the driver to remove the leg from the brake and the car stays still till the accelerator is pressed. It is there in Passat. This is a real comfortable feature. I am considering a Jetta after my Passat got damaged in floods.
Old 19th January 2016, 20:59   #2304
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
friends, does the 2016 Jetta highline DSG comes with the "Auto hold" feature. This allows the driver to remove the leg from the brake and the car stays still till the accelerator is pressed. It is there in Passat. This is a real comfortable feature. I am considering a Jetta after my Passat got damaged in floods.
Auto Hold is available on the Polo GT TSI & the Vento (petrol & diesel) DSG as well ... so i assume it will be available on the Jetta
Old 19th January 2016, 22:10   #2305
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

It's more of a hill hold feature, not the kind that works on a flat surface or at signals. If that's what you're looking for, yes, it's there in the Jetta.
Old 19th January 2016, 22:31   #2306
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
No the Jetta doesn't have auto hold. That requires a powered handbrake which the Jetta doesn't have.
Old 20th January 2016, 00:08   #2307
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by akshay1234 View Post
No the Jetta doesn't have auto hold. That requires a powered handbrake which the Jetta doesn't have.
I think that the Jetta has powered handbrake. How else would the hill-hold function work?

What is the difference between Auto-hold and Hill-hold function? Aren't they all the same? I think so.
Old 20th January 2016, 00:36   #2308
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I think that the Jetta has powered handbrake. How else would the hill-hold function work?

What is the difference between Auto-hold and Hill-hold function? Aren't they all the same? I think so.
Jetta definitely has a manual handbrake, otherwise it would have had just a button.

Hill hold is a function of ESP, it senses when the vehicle is on an incline and holds the car for 2-3 seconds after the brake pedal is released to aid in moving forward.

Auto hold generally has a separate button, which once activated holds the vehicle as soon as it comes to a complete stop, and does not release until the accelerator is pressed. Helps with being able to take your foot off the brake at places like signals.
Akshay1234 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 00:37   #2309
Senior - BHPian

Auto hold let's you take your foot off the brake even in D mode, on any surface angle be it straight or slope, when you are at a halt. It releases the brake as soon as you depress the accelerator pedal. This works in tandem with an electronic brake like in the Passat or in a 520d. Hill hold only stops the car if it is on an upward or downward slope for barely about 3-4 seconds, just enough time to shift your foot from the brake to the accelerator pedal. This helps to avoid unnecessary rolling of the vehicle. Where as auto hold is a feature that reduces fatigue of constantly pressing the brake pedal on a signal stop, if you want to keep the car in D mode even when you have come to a halt.
adi_petrolhead is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th January 2016, 10:17   #2310
BHPian

Thank you all for your replies. Looks like Jetta doesn't have it. Auto hold is a great feature to have in any automatic car. In Passat, it works like a charm, no need to keep pressing the brake pedal in a traffic signal. It also works only when the driver is using his seat belt. A good reminder about safety practice to be followed in every day driving.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks