Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 3rd February 2016, 21:46   #2326
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Metallicar View Post
Well they have done 38k.
Will go for Michelin only but have to see 2 vs all 4.
With NCT5, please don't go by the tread depth. They become hard and tend to loose traction. It is risky to continue with 2 of them.

Even if you have them on the rear axle, you can have problems with control under heavy braking. Also, by changing 2 at a time, you will never experience the real charm of driving a Jetta.

With 38 k (!) on the odo, you really don't have a choice. You SHOULD change all the 4 tyres.

Just my honest opinion.

You can retain the best as a Stepney.

Last edited by Chethan B G : 3rd February 2016 at 21:49.
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 3rd February 2016, 22:43   #2327
Senior - BHPian

@Metallicar,

Depth is ideally the best indicator. But check for anomalies including bulges, cracks and other irregularities.If its over 6 years, i would say its time to replace. Take the depth test and if its less than 1/8th its about time you start shopping for some.

Even with ABS, ESP and everything else, bad rubber can still make the car unsafe for obvious reasons. I would recommend removing the wheels, check for any bends, check tires completely and also do the air pressure testing to see(how much it loses air) and if everything ticks you can run the current tires for few more months (or 5-10K kms) But you are looking at changing it pretty soon based on your description.

Look for how the wear on the tire is. It can easilly indicate other problems including suspension etc.

Last edited by VW2010 : 3rd February 2016 at 22:45.
Old 4th February 2016, 15:18   #2328
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Metallicar,

Depth is ideally the best indicator. But check for anomalies including bulges, cracks and other irregularities.If its over 6 years, i would
Look for how the wear on the tire is. It can easilly indicate other problems including suspension etc.
I will get them checked thoroughly and if there is any issue then get all 4. Also if I need a remap of 20 Hp or something then do I need to upsize ? In that case what is recommended? What size and tyres ? Or 205/55 Michelin Primacy 3ST will suffice ?
Old 4th February 2016, 16:36   #2329
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Also if I need a remap of 20 Hp or something then do I need to upsize ? In that case what is recommended? What size and tyres ? Or 205/55 Michelin Primacy 3ST will suffice ?
Please check my Jetta ownership thread. I have gone through a similar situation.

Link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/141671-vw-jetta-2-0-tdi-hl-mt-now-bilsteins-petes-remap-10.html#post3744315
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th February 2016, 15:43   #2330
BHPian

I bought 4 Michelins in stock size. 8500 per piece including balancing etc. Going to take remap etc light for now. It needs dedication and time.
Old 8th February 2016, 10:45   #2331
BHPian

The Jetta's hill hold works on declines too...

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Nope, I dont think it works on declines, but its an absolutely superb feature to have on inclines, specially when coming out of the basements.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
My experience, YES jetta has a hill-hold feature, no separate button though. I asked this during delivery of my manual trendline jetta. The way it works is bit hard to explain. You apply brakes on incline to stop completely, when you want to move forward, you take the foot off the brake, The car doesn't roll back, the hill hold is activated for 3-4 seconds (the car doesnt move for about 3 seconds at all), in which you have to press the accelerator pedal and release the clutch. Something (ESP) senses that the car has stopped on incline and keep the brakes applied.

Trust me, it works every single time, and it times i forget this feature and press the accelerator quickly enough just to realize it doesn't move and it has hill hold feature.

I have to try if this works on decline as well
Quote:
Originally Posted by baskar View Post
Thank you all for your replies. Looks like Jetta doesn't have it. Auto hold is a great feature to have in any automatic car. In Passat, it works like a charm, no need to keep pressing the brake pedal in a traffic signal. It also works only when the driver is using his seat belt. A good reminder about safety practice to be followed in every day driving.
Old 9th February 2016, 12:33   #2332
BHPian

Quote:
I bought 4 Michelins in stock size. 8500 per piece including balancing etc. Going to take remap etc light for now. It needs dedication and time.
8500 sounds like a dream price. In ahmedabad no dealer is offering less than 9500 for michelin P3ST. Can you share the dealer detail?
Old 9th February 2016, 13:03   #2333
BHPian

Anyone got good quality sun shades for the car. With summer already looming I am looking for some respite.
Old 9th February 2016, 14:27   #2334
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by mav2000 View Post
Anyone got good quality sun shades for the car. With summer already looming I am looking for some respite.
I got 3M-CR90 for my front glass and side glasses. Please check my Jetta ownership thread for details.

Link:http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-drives-initial-ownership-reports/141671-vw-jetta-2-0-tdi-hl-mt-now-bilsteins-petes-remap-8.html#post3722242
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th February 2016, 21:05   #2335
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I got 3M-CR90 for my front glass and side glasses. Please check my Jetta ownership thread for details.
In chennai they are hunting like wolves. I sometimes purposefully roll down the window near check posts and yet one day a guy asked about the front heat shield and asked for 500 rupees.

I parked the car on the sides, stepped out and asked him to toe it to the police station and i will bring my lawyers to release the car. (Just a gamble)

He panicked to not have a car there and immediately said i can leave but need to remove the front shield as well.

Personally put, chennai sucks with this rule but i see everyone has adapted to it and i will have to swallow the hard pill and remove the film now :(. Its actually no shade film and just a heat shield and yet i am stopped every two days when i was there for 30 days.
Old 10th February 2016, 06:33   #2336
BHPian

Finally the manufacturer supplied battery gave up after 30 months replaced it with the same spec amaron 60 ah, did the error corrections as per tanveers suggestion, all set.

Need help with the code to start RCD 310 system for 2013 comfort line, after changing the battery the system is asking for code.

Last edited by Gannu_1 : 10th February 2016 at 09:39. Reason: Back to back posts merged.
Old 10th February 2016, 13:30   #2337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Finally the manufacturer supplied battery gave up after 30 months replaced it with the same spec amaron 60 ah, did the error corrections as per tanveers suggestion, all set.

Need help with the code to start RCD 310 system for 2013 comfort line, after changing the battery the system is asking for code.
You can contact the local VW service center - they should be able to give you the code.
Old 11th February 2016, 14:19   #2338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
8500 sounds like a dream price. In ahmedabad no dealer is offering less than 9500 for michelin P3ST. Can you share the dealer detail?

They were done by Autopsyche.

I got them on Friday and hit a slightly raised surface on Sunday. One of the tires got a bulge and when it was removed there was a crack inside too. According to the dealer only 1% chance of getting a new one. 8500 down the drain. Never going for Michelin again. The obstruction wasn't big enough to do this.

@Tanveer -- That day I got late and now I am in Mumbai. It will be taken up in last week of February. Thanks for your help.
Old 11th February 2016, 15:05   #2339
BHPian

Quote:
I got them on Friday and hit a slightly raised surface on Sunday. One of the tires got a bulge and when it was removed there was a crack inside too. According to the dealer only 1% chance of getting a new one. 8500 down the drain. Never going for Michelin again. The obstruction wasn't big enough to do this.
How old was the manufacturing date? It may be due to a hardened rubber /silica over a period of time. Anyhow you should make a lot of noise about this and ask for replacement.
Old 11th February 2016, 20:32   #2340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post

The code is sometimes pasted on the manual of the RCD system which you must have got with the car, Look into it, Or you need to take it to the service centre.

Quote:

@Tanveer -- That day I got late and now I am in Mumbai. It will be taken up in last week of February. Thanks for your help.
Sure thing, Let me know about the TPMS too.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks