Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th April 2016, 08:54   #2446
Senior - BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
You need to set the position of the mirror for reverse gear. Follow this procedure.

1. While in neutral, set the mirror adjust knob to "L"

2. Adjust the left mirror for the desired position during normal drive

3. Engage reverse gear

4. Now adjust the left mirror to show the kerb

Once the above setting is done, when you engage forward gear and drive, when the car reaches 15kph, you can notice the mirror moving up to normal position. When you engage reverse gear, the mirror will move down showing the kerb.

Glory be. You learn something new every day! Gonna give this a go in a bit and see if it works

Edit: Been there, tried that. No dice. The options are all ticked off in the MFD too. Thoughts, anyone?

Last edited by iliketurtles : 8th April 2016 at 09:14.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:28   #2447
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
You need to set the position of the mirror for reverse gear. Follow this procedure.

1. While in neutral, set the mirror adjust knob to "L"
2. Adjust the left mirror for the desired position during normal drive
3. Engage reverse gear
4. Now adjust the left mirror to show the kerb

Once the above setting is done, when you engage forward gear and drive, when the car reaches 15kph, you can notice the mirror moving up to normal position. When you engage reverse gear, the mirror will move down showing the kerb.
It worked! Thank you so much.
Do you know what's the sequence for the brake light staying on when the indicator stalk is on L or R.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Kerb View is definitely not a existing functionality in my 2015 Jetta CL.
It works for me. Try it out.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Glory be. You learn something new every day! Gonna give this a go in a bit and see if it works

Edit: Been there, tried that. No dice. The options are all ticked off in the MFD too. Thoughts, anyone?
Really? You have a "Mirror down" option in the MFD? Has to be selected.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:35   #2448
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bharat4ever View Post
Really? You have a "Mirror down" option in the MFD? Has to be selected.
Yup, made sure it's ticked off before I drove off. Followed that sequence of actions to the tee and waited till the car hit 15 and then some more. Nothing doing. Will try again later.
Old 8th April 2016, 09:46   #2449
BHPian

Quote:
Yup, made sure it's ticked off before I drove off. Followed that sequence of actions to the tee and waited till the car hit 15 and then some more. Nothing doing. Will try again later.
After all that is done, check the position of the door mirror selector switch. Mirror down works only when it is in one of the positions. For bimmer mirror down works only when the driver door mirror is kept selected. Don't remember if it was same or opposite in VAG cars. Try both ways. One of it should work. Select driver door mirror and engage reverse gear, if that doesn't activate mirror down, try same keeping LHS door mirror selected. Or may be in the middle position (which is not there in bimmer but you could try that also).
Old 8th April 2016, 09:47   #2450
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajaypjayaraj View Post
After all that is done, check the position of the door mirror selector switch. Mirror down works only when it is in one of the positions. For bimmer mirror down works only when the driver door mirror is kept selected. Don't remember if it was same or opposite in VAG cars. Try both ways. One of it should work. Select driver door mirror and engage reverse gear, if that doesn't activate mirror down, try same keeping LHS door mirror selected. Or may be in the middle position (which is not there in bimmer but you could try that also).
Thanks. This thought struck me too. I tried it with the LHS mirror, will set it to the RHS mirror and try again. Something's gotta give.
Old 8th April 2016, 11:00   #2451
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Thanks. This thought struck me too. I tried it with the LHS mirror, will set it to the RHS mirror and try again. Something's gotta give.
For me this works when the mirror is in 'L' position. I have not tried this in other positions.
Old 9th April 2016, 21:35   #2452
Team-BHP Support

Update on the mirror down function. Today I verified that mirror down only works when the mirror switch is in the 'L' position. It does not work in the other two positions.
Old 9th April 2016, 21:52   #2453
BHPian

Quote:
Update on the mirror down function. Today I verified that mirror down only works when the mirror switch is in the 'L' position. It does not work in the other two positions.
That how it works in Octavia also.
rutvij is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 20:05   #2454
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Hello BHP'mates, I booked a Jetta 2L HL DSG Black yesterday, at Bangalore, after much deliberation of Jetta HL DSG and Octavia 1.8L TSI, which finally boiled down to 'best' deal. I could live without Sunroof, Reverse Camera, Driver Seat memory, and the sporty Dash overall, but strong swing towards Octavia were +2 Airbags, MKB, ESC, EDL, ASR knda stuff towards Safety, plus the 1.8L Petrol itself (though 7 Speed DSG seem pretty new). VW offered a very nice deal (in-spite of the recent price hike), and decided to bite that, considering the sheer exterior beauty of Jetta, strong build, tried and proven 2L engine, 6-DSG and German tag. Should get delivery in 10days time.
So, here's my first few hours of driving Jetta 2L HL DSG...

Took delivery of the 2L HL DSG Black 2 weeks ago, and unfortunately had to wait for 4 days to get the registration completed due to GoodFriday and 4th Saturday Bank holiday etc - never ending long 4 days! Drove to Kerala within couple of days of registration, and so far did 1200+ on highways, and really enjoyed the drive.

Outbound I was bit careful, since engine is fresh, and hands & legs have not got used to the new car, so was much relaxed drive. But way back, i decided to put it to some testing, and it was wonderful how it delivered the power, and how rock solid it was on road at highway speeds. Not that I had the coolest nerves to push thus far, but just wanted to feel that.

With such a heavy steering, you feel completely in control at high speeds and cruising, but its much tougher to maneuver in small or city roads, like my Honda City, but I guess will get used to that. Also, unlike Honda, the explosive power is not there in 1st gear (unless you floor the pedal), but Jetta swiftly shifts to 2 in no time soon the vehicle moves, and there's plenty of turbo to kick in from then on. Felt quite lot of lugging power in 5 and 6 as well, and barely tends to shift down when you are cruising and even when slows down to 40Kms. That's really good in City with relatively thin traffic.

Now this is something didn't go well... When slowing down without breaks and released pedals (from relatively slow speed), and gear is shifted automatically to 2 or 1, there's a sudden hold on momentum/speed, and i almost thought the vehicle behind me bumped on my back. Again, on comparison, City used to give a very gradual halt when I release the pedal, and a predictable momentum reduction always. But Jetta kind of throws me forward slightly at some point between 30Kmh to 10Kmh, always! I hope this is due to the Gear ratio difference between City and Jetta, but its not a nice feel.

Driver's seat is literally adjustable to any angle you can think of, especially the thigh-support part I liked (with long legs, of course). Still, somehow I picked up severe muscle pain on the right hips towards 5th hour of drive, and I struggled to drive non-stop afterwards (apparently I turned 40 the same week, but I hope this was not any indication of hitting the over-the-hill-spot) . Maybe, a switch from relatively higher seats of Honda City is yet to get used to, and I cherished the low seat driving ever since I sold Palio few years ago.

Suspension is perfect for our roads, especially over those mile-apart humps, and this is a huge improvement over a normal sedan like Honda City. With the weight of the car, and a good multi-link suspension, a comfortable drive is guaranteed.

Side View mirror adjustments was bit tricky, with the rotary knob actually not moving in 360d position. Meantime, good to know the "kerb view" feature mentioned somewhere above.

Didn't like too well the head-lamp settings as well. I would prefer either a DRL or Fog option separately, but apparently its either DRL, or both. Not a big fan of DRL, so I switched that off in settings (with Auto mode) but still DRL goes on in 1st & 2nd positions right to 'Auto'. Maybe I need to experiment/learn.

Have not explored/experimented with all configurations in cluster setup yet, but tried to pair my iPhone 4S (yeah, last man standing) with the HU (the MIB2 model), and it never could find the iPhone. Assume its iPhone's BT issue and have to try another phone (or is there anything else to setup) ?

Someone also mentioned about CarPlay available with MIB2 HU, and also that it do not work - anyone got it working ?

Got a 3M Paint Protection Treatment done with 1 year coverage, and a 3D Kagu mat set (and apparently VW Original mats are useless now - up for grabs if anyone is looking for), and my spend stops there. Would love to get the sporty-metal-pedals though, but been asking around for a while (don't prefer the Chinese variant).

Overall, its been great so far, with a smooth but powerful drive experience, the heavy road-hugging feel and its steadiness and secure feel, and then there're those occasional glances at the black beast that I enjoy.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_1512.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_1532.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_1652.jpg  

Last edited by FlyingSpur : 11th April 2016 at 22:55. Reason: Post edited. Please refrain from mentioning high speeds on the forum.
sunsbhp is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:08   #2455
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Didn't like too well the head-lamp settings as well. I would prefer either a DRL or Fog option separately, but apparently its either DRL, or both. Not a big fan of DRL, so I switched that off in settings (with Auto mode) but still DRL goes on in 1st & 2nd positions right to 'Auto'. Maybe I need to experiment/learn.
Congrats, You can't go wrong with the Jetta, Looks amazing in Black

Just an advice :While Driving specially on highways, Switch the DRL's ON, It helps in making other road user's (Specially the trucker's) Aware of your presence.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th April 2016, 21:20   #2456
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tanveer_2558 View Post
Congrats, You can't go wrong with the Jetta, Looks amazing in Black

Just an advice :While Driving specially on highways, Switch the DRL's ON, It helps in making other road user's (Specially the trucker's) Aware of your presence.
I couldn't agree more Tanveer, more so since I had a head-on with truck on my 10th day of Palio back in 2002, when this truck guy opposite turned to his right without seeing my dark-grey car, which costed 1.8 lacs to repair, but 4 of us still live! Since then I always drove with parking-light or fog-lights on. So, I get your point, but my curiosity was different
Old 12th April 2016, 10:02   #2457
BHPian

Quote:
Now this is something didn't go well... When slowing down without breaks and released pedals (from relatively slow speed), and gear is shifted automatically to 2 or 1, there's a sudden hold on momentum/speed, and i almost thought the vehicle behind me bumped on my back.
Ditto, I have had this experience a number of times now, specially in bumper to bumper city traffic where I m conscious of vehicles rear-ending me, sometimes I drive with park-assist on

Quote:
Driver's seat is literally adjustable to any angle you can think of, especially the thigh-support part I liked (with long legs, of course). Still, somehow I picked up severe muscle pain on the right hips towards 5th hour of drive, and I struggled to drive non-stop afterwards (apparently I turned 40 the same week, but I hope this was not any indication of hitting the over-the-hill-spot)
He he, I have driven the Jetta really long distances but I usually take a break every 2-3 hours, so I have not experienced this problem. On long drives I have found lumbar support really helps keeping the lower back happy. I hope its nothing to do with how long ago you were born, as I will myself be hitting the milestone in 3 years time, and was hoping to be an adventurous old man driving the Jetta to new and interesting places when I grow older!

Quote:
Side View mirror adjustments was bit tricky, with the rotary knob actually not moving in 360d position. Meantime, good to know the "kerb view" feature mentioned somewhere above.
My biggest gripe with the side-mirrors right now is that they do not auto-fold when I lock the car, would really love to have this feature, as I prefer to keep them folded when parked. Anyone know how I can achieve this?

Quote:
Got a 3M Paint Protection Treatment done with 1 year coverage, and a 3D Kagu mat set (and apparently VW Original mats are useless now - up for grabs if anyone is looking for), and my spend stops there. Would love to get the sporty-metal-pedals though, but been asking around for a while (don't prefer the Chinese variant).
I was a bit of a cheapstake when it came to this, I have been using the dealer supplied free mats for an year now, and hated them every time I drove. Where did you source the 3D Kagu mats from, are they a good fit? I am getting these for a price of 6200 in a local accessories shop, is it a good deal?

Would you mind posting some photos of your mats, as I would really like to make sure I am not being sold a cheap chinese replica, instead of the original Kagu 3D mats (from Formosa, if I am not wrong). Any thoughts on the mats from your use? Are they a snug fit in the back? I heard the center mat and the side mats do not quite fit well together.

On a separate note, the wifey has been recently complaining of feeling dizzy as soon as she gets into the Jetta, I am not sure if its the excessive heat or what, but this is a new one. Anyone else heard the same gripe?

Last edited by harryputtar : 12th April 2016 at 10:31.
Old 12th April 2016, 13:40   #2458
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
My biggest gripe with the side-mirrors right now is that they do not auto-fold when I lock the car, would really love to have this feature, as I prefer to keep them folded when parked. Anyone know how I can achieve this?
For sure you already know the knob could be turned to the auto-fold position while ignition is still on, but yes, no auto-fold on locking.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I was a bit of a cheapstake when it came to this, I have been using the dealer supplied free mats for an year now, and hated them every time I drove. Where did you source the 3D Kagu mats from, are they a good fit? I am getting these for a price of 6200 in a local accessories shop, is it a good deal?
I trusted the guy, and the price is around 6500 (+/- couple of hundreds) all the places i asked, and yes it looks & feels really good, and snug-fits as well. The whole bottom of the mat is Velcro, and it should go glued onto Jetta's fabric flooring. I got a "Jetta 2011" marked set, and he said it fits all model upto now.
sunsbhp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 12th April 2016, 16:24   #2459
BHPian

Quote:
For sure you already know the knob could be turned to the auto-fold position while ignition is still on, but yes, no auto-fold on locking.
Yes thought so, does anyone know any garages in Pune, who will help getting these possible customizations done? I am not really that DYI to get a VCDS cable and software myself.

Quote:
I trusted the guy, and the price is around 6500 (+/- couple of hundreds) all the places i asked, and yes it looks & feels really good, and snug-fits as well. The whole bottom of the mat is Velcro, and it should go glued onto Jetta's fabric flooring. I got a "Jetta 2011" marked set, and he said it fits all model upto now.
Thanks sunsbhp, I went ahead and ordered a biege set with the local shop for 6200, lets see what version of the mats they get for me.
Old 12th April 2016, 16:45   #2460
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Technically speaking this shouldnt be a difficult thing to achieve. May be some extra wire re-routing.

My thought is the folding of mirror is activated when you turn the knob in the door. This is sending a signal to the mirror. Can we extra wire an option to mimic this function when you hit the lock button.

The lock should initiate a specific set of action right at the door, and may be we can use that to initiate the same action at knob.

May be not

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks