Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 25th October 2011, 15:52   #256
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by ferrari_driver View Post
Hi,

I am posting a message on this forum after a long time -- probably because I need some inputs on making up my mind. I own a Optra Magnum 2.0 LT and have been a very satisfied GM customer. No complaints whatsover with the car or the service network. Now its time to replace it and honestly, I would have jumped on the Cruze but the rear seat is the deal breaker.

Frankly, I am left with the New Jetta or the Laura -- diesel it has to be given by 90 kms a day commute to office and back. Now I am really scared of the Skoda after sales service -- purely going by what I have heard and not what I have experienced. I have test driven the new Jetta and I liked the ride quality and the interior spacing. I am more or less convinced to go ahead with it -- Highline (MT) although I did have second thoughts towards L&K also. What is going against the Laura is not having great looks (family perception) and also that Jetta would probably fetch a higher resale value given its a new launch.
Can someone throw some light even if this has been discussed. My critical requirements are:
1) Good to drive -- I go on a lot of weekend trips
2) Good rear seat comfort -- my driver is 6'2''
3) Decent service if not the best in class
4) Paramount is safety -- as many gadgets / airbags / driver assists to aid me
I have done about 1400 km in two weeks since I took delivery of the New Jetta Comfortline MT. Have done couple of trips already. One of the trips, I drove 390 kms including about an hour and a half in some serious rain in the mountain stretch. Drive was great, reached home rather fresh and could have gone on for many more hours. Recommend you go for it.
Old 25th October 2011, 15:58   #257
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks man. Well forget after sales, I went to the showroom -- Jai Auto in Gurgaon and guess what an awesome discount that guy was offering on the L&K. A whopping 17,000 on a 21 lac L&K.

VW is offering about 32 k corporate discount on Jetta

On the other hand I was quite happy with the attitude of the VW dealer in Gurgaon -- at least someone was taking ownership for handling a particular customer
Well thats just another clue from the skies for you to go for the Jetta. IMHO L&K is pricey in the sense that its seriously going into the big german territory. And I for one would not like to spend 21L on a Laura however much its loaded. But thats just my feeling.

Book the Jetta. I am sure you will not regret.
Old 26th October 2011, 07:40   #258
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

I am posting a message on this forum after a long time -- probably because I need some inputs on making up my mind. I own a Optra Magnum 2.0 LT and have been a very satisfied GM customer. No complaints whatsover with the car or the service network. Now its time to replace it and honestly, I would have jumped on the Cruze but the rear seat is the deal breaker.

Frankly, I am left with the New Jetta or the Laura -- diesel it has to be given by 90 kms a day commute to office and back. Now I am really scared of the Skoda after sales service -- purely going by what I have heard and not what I have experienced. I have test driven the new Jetta and I liked the ride quality and the interior spacing. I am more or less convinced to go ahead with it -- Highline (MT) although I did have second thoughts towards L&K also. What is going against the Laura is not having great looks (family perception) and also that Jetta would probably fetch a higher resale value given its a new launch.
Can someone throw some light even if this has been discussed. My critical requirements are:
Hi, ferrari_driver. Overall, your criteria seem tailor-made for a Jetta.

If you're going all the way to the Highline, I would seriously urge you to consider the DSG. Unless you are really hard-core manual gearbox fan (thats incurable ), I think a DSG makes perfect sense. Some of the best driver's cars these days are automatics and the DSG is amongst the best of the automatic gearboxes that you will find at any price range. We haven't heard of reliability issues amongst the 6 speed DSGs so far. I'm sure that price and fuel efficiency aren't your considerations here, given that you are already going for the Highline, and this is a diesel anyway.

PS: A driver who is 6'2"? There's a career limiting move, if I've heard one.
Old 26th October 2011, 10:45   #259
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Hi, ferrari_driver. Overall, your criteria seem tailor-made for a Jetta.
Thanks Aurum for a useful tip. Here is my take on it. I started with the cruze, which was 15 lacs - ruled it out due to rear space where my 5 year old cousin might just squeeze in - entered laura/jetta territory - decided elegance / comfortline - so reached 17 lacs - then saw jetta with suffocating number of airbags - decided higline and reached 19 - if I continue this way, a beamer is not out of reach

On a serious note - the car would be chauffeur driven on 5 days out of 7. I somehow don't like auto that much as I am one of those breed of drivers who like to indulge in driving - so less the activity say no gear changes, no winding roads - I tend to get bored. Though what I must admit that it would be really convenient for my wife.

Two things here for all people here - Top Gear India rates laura with 17/20 while Jetta is rated 12/20. I was shocked to see this. Secondly, Autocar Nov issue rates Jetta better in all aspects but says Laura's gearbox is better tuned for a driving experience.

These things have really confused me - though I would always go by feedback from you guys - have been following this forum for years passively.

Last edited by .anshuman : 29th October 2011 at 15:23. Reason: Quote tags fixed. Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 13:36   #260
BHPian

Quote:
Hi,

frankly, Your requirments seem to make the Jetta tailor-made for you.

Going by your criteria,
1) Good drive - Jetta

2) Rear sseat - Jetta

3)Service - VW better than Skoda

4) Safety - Jetta again....

No brainer, just go for it.

But I wonder should you really be spending over a lakh more for the Highline if you are anyway going for the Manual Transmission. Worth a debate. You get most of the goodioes in the CL itself.
Old 26th October 2011, 13:47   #261
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by druk75 View Post

But I wonder should you really be spending over a lakh more for the Highline if you are anyway going for the Manual Transmission. Worth a debate. You get most of the goodioes in the CL itself.
Thanks Druk _ you have a point here - no point in going for highline - I can save good amount of money and buy some accessories too.

However - I still have not got any views on Top Gear giving such a low rating to Jetaa Vs Laura. Though autocar gives Jetta a better rating - this is the only piece left unresolved.

So am thinking of locking Jetta Comfortline - Toffee Brown / Brawn whatever it is
ferrari_driver is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th October 2011, 17:46   #262
BHPian

Quote:
1) Good to drive -- Jetta! I just went for a 200km drive the last weekend. The trip was pleasant though the 200 kms were done in just a day.
2) Good rear seat comfort -- my driver is 6'2'' - I have faced similar problem. Jetta has *The Best* leg room in its class.
3) Decent service if not the best in class - The 24hr roadside assistance has been experienced by me. It was quick! Frankly speaking I have had a great after sales experience with VW. (they even replaced one of my doors without any fuss, because there was a shade difference between the door and the rest of the car)
4) Paramount is safety -- as many gadgets / airbags / driver assists to aid me - Hands down, Jetta wins in the safety area.

Quote:
Thanks Druk _ you have a point here - no point in going for highline - I can save good amount of money and buy some accessories too.

However - I still have not got any views on Top Gear giving such a low rating to Jetaa Vs Laura. Though autocar gives Jetta a better rating - this is the only piece left unresolved.

So am thinking of locking Jetta Comfortline - Toffee Brown / Brawn whatever it is
Even I thought the same and went for the CL and i am not regretting it a bit (except for the parktronic display. But the sensor audio feedback is soooo *perfect* and has ruined me for non parking sensor cars.)

Personally, I trust this forum more than Top Gear / Autocar ratings for obvious reasons. If i were you I would not pay heed to those ratings.

Go for the CL Jetta. You will not regret. If you need any more info on CL variant, you are welcome to refer to the initial ownership report i have written on this forum. (Mods, I hope this does not construe as advertising )

Last edited by lamboguy : 26th October 2011 at 17:48.
Old 26th October 2011, 21:55   #263
BHPian

Quote:
Personally, I trust this forum more than Top Gear / Autocar ratings for obvious reasons. If i were you I would not pay heed to those ratings.

Go for the CL Jetta. You will not regret. If you need any more info on CL variant, you are welcome to refer to the initial ownership report i have written on this forum. (Mods, I hope this does not construe as advertising )
Thanks Lamboguy and others - It has helped me zero in on the Jetta comfortline - which will also be in line of my comfort zone of my budget

Will definitely post some reviews when I get one - though its some time away now.

Last edited by GTO : 28th October 2011 at 14:46. Reason: Fixing quote
Old 27th October 2011, 07:04   #264
BHPian

Day before yesterday, I saw an MH-14 TC registered camouflaged Jetta crossing me at the King Circle flyover in Mumbai and was going towards Chembur. It was the new Jetta alright, but could not look at the badging as it was too fast.

Wonder why these cars are running now. Any new model in the offing?
Old 27th October 2011, 09:03   #265
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by nileshch View Post
Day before yesterday, I saw an MH-14 TC registered camouflaged Jetta crossing me at the King Circle flyover in Mumbai and was going towards Chembur. It was the new Jetta alright, but could not look at the badging as it was too fast.

Wonder why these cars are running now. Any new model in the offing?
Probably they are doing testing rounds for the Petrol Jetta. I was rumored that the 1.4TSi variant will be launched in early 2012.
vb-saan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 14:17   #266
BHPian

I visited a VW showroom today in Santacruz in Mumbai with a friend, the sales rep who was attending me, seemed to have very little knowledge about the car. But he was very courteous and everyone at the showroom seemed eager to please us.

I was basically there looking for the trendline variant, but they had a DSG highline and a comfortline. So, decided to check out the comfortline. As I had regularly been visiting this thread, I kind of had a pretty good idea about the difference in the comfortline and the trendline, but still I asked the rep for the basic differences.
To my surprise, he told me that the trendline did not have heated ORVM's, but the brochure says it does. Also, Aux-in seems to be present in the trendline as well. It is visible clearly in the pictures posted by jkdas, but the sales rep told me that the trendline did not have it.
Another thing that seemed to be missing in the highline as well, was the automatic pop up type boot. isn't the boot supposed to pop up when the button is pressed like a hydraulic?
Perhaps someone could throw some light on this?
Old 29th October 2011, 15:10   #267
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by DeKay View Post
I visited a VW showroom today in Santacruz…
Check out the Jetta ownership threads by Aurum and Lamboguy. One of them did mention that there are lot of mistakes in the spec sheet (as told by the Sales rep). Probably it will be a good idea to check with them on the features in comfortline and highline trims.
Old 29th October 2011, 15:40   #268
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
thanks man. Well forget after sales, I went to the showroom -- Jai Auto in Gurgaon and guess what an awesome discount that guy was offering on the L&K. A whopping 17,000 on a 21 lac L&K.

VW is offering about 32 k corporate discount on Jetta
The reason L&K might not have much discount at this time of year is they do not have many cars in stock. I am sure you will get much bigger discount for other variants. Last i heard was 1.5lakh+ discount on TSI.

Both Jetta and Laura are equally good cars. The highest variant in Jetta does not make much sense(except you want the DSG), even the lowest variant comes with all of the safety kit. Laura L&K in comparison has better equipment levels and feels richer inside.

My pick with respect to requirement and budget with reason-
Lower/middle variant MT- Jetta, because of the 140hp engine and safety kit.
Lower/middle variant DSG- Laura, as Jetta does not come with DSG in lower variant.

Top variant MT- Jetta, as Laura does not have L&K in MT.
Top variant AT- Laura, for the superior equipment level, looks and richer interior feel.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th October 2011, 22:00   #269
BHPian

Quote:
I visited a VW showroom today in Santacruz in Mumbai with a friend, the sales rep who was attending me, seemed to have very little knowledge about the car. But he was very courteous and everyone at the showroom seemed eager to please us.

I was basically there looking for the trendline variant, but they had a DSG highline and a comfortline. So, decided to check out the comfortline. As I had regularly been visiting this thread, I kind of had a pretty good idea about the difference in the comfortline and the trendline, but still I asked the rep for the basic differences.
To my surprise, he told me that the trendline did not have heated ORVM's, but the brochure says it does. Also, Aux-in seems to be present in the trendline as well. It is visible clearly in the pictures posted by jkdas, but the sales rep told me that the trendline did not have it.
Another thing that seemed to be missing in the highline as well, was the automatic pop up type boot. isn't the boot supposed to pop up when the button is pressed like a hydraulic?
The boot latch releases, but doesn't really open up all the way. It doesnt open up hydraulically. On the highline, I didnt notice any mistakes in the specs other than the common ones like ground clearance etc. They obviously dont talk about the omissions from the last Jetta like footwell lights etc. The Santacruz team was cooperative though not very knowledgeable.

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
The reason L&K might not have much discount at this time of year is they do not have many cars in stock. I am sure you will get much bigger discount for other variants. Last i heard was 1.5lakh+ discount on TSI.

Both Jetta and Laura are equally good cars. The highest variant in Jetta does not make much sense(except you want the DSG), even the lowest variant comes with all of the safety kit. Laura L&K in comparison has better equipment levels and feels richer inside.

My pick with respect to requirement and budget with reason-
Lower/middle variant MT- Jetta, because of the 140hp engine and safety kit.
Lower/middle variant DSG- Laura, as Jetta does not come with DSG in lower variant.

Top variant MT- Jetta, as Laura does not have L&K in MT.
Top variant AT- Laura, for the superior equipment level, looks and richer interior feel.
Thats a good summary. Would only add that on the top end variant (MT or AT), if you need the leg-room, i.e. you are above 6' yourself or have a 6' driver, you are better off with the Jetta. The difference is significant.
Old 29th October 2011, 22:13   #270
BHPian

Quote:
Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
The boot latch releases, but doesn't really open up all the way. It doesnt open up hydraulically.
Funny but my Comfortline seems to have the pop up style boot. The trick here is: On the remote, a single press on the boot button simply unlocks the boot. You then have to press the tiny button on the boot handle-thing. The boot opens all the way up on its own accord.
But if you keep the same boot unlock button on the remote pressed for a second, the boot pops up and opens up all the way without touching it (you could say, just like the old Jetta)

I guess its the same for the boot release button in the cabin though i have not used it yet.

Most Viewed