Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 31st October 2016, 15:55   #2716
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi Forum,

One of the brake lights in my Jetta conked off yesterday, and I am seeing a warning on my MFD about the same.

Unfortunately I am leaving for Goa on Wednesday morning, and would not like to travel with a malfunctioning set of brake lights.

I think the broken light is connected to the Jetta body rather than the boot lid. Is it hard to fix myself? Any recommendations on what spec and brand of lights do I need?

Also any tutorials on how to accomplish this DIY? I am not sure if this is worth going to ASS for, also they might eat a huge chunk of my time tomorrow, and also some money.

Any help appreciated.

Regards
Old 31st October 2016, 16:20   #2717
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Hi Forum,

One of the brake lights in my Jetta conked off yesterday, and I am seeing a warning on my MFD about the same.
Also any tutorials on how to accomplish this DIY? I am not sure if this is worth going to ASS for, also they might eat a huge chunk of my time tomorrow, and also some money.
Check out the DIY video from the below link.

Jetta 2011-2016 Tail Light Replacement

If you have a spare bulb, this looks like a 10 minute job
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 16:27   #2718
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you have a spare bulb, this looks like a 10 minute job
Thanks graaja, I will check out the video, appreciate the pointer.

I do not happen to have a spare bulb unfortunately, I can source some from local shops, is there a specific brand I should look for?
Old 31st October 2016, 16:42   #2719
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Thanks graaja, I will check out the video, appreciate the pointer.

I do not happen to have a spare bulb unfortunately, I can source some from local shops, is there a specific brand I should look for?
I think the bulbs are standard P21/5W. Local shops should definitely have these bulbs in stock. Not sure about brand availability. You could check for either Philips or OSRAM.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st October 2016, 21:44   #2720
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Made in Germany Varta battery down in 1.5 years it seems with my neighbor's Jetta. The engine coughed and refused to chug along while trying to start and the MID threw a 'Error:Stabilization Control (ESC)'. It has been jump started from the VW guys here and they say the battery is to be replaced.
Exactly 1.5 years after the free replacement from VW, that too conked off or is about to.

Went to Amaron and they first said there is no problem with the battery but checked again and said there might be cell damage! They recommended to put 74Ah battery instead of 60Ah, but I called up VW service and they said don't put 74Ah but to stick with 60Ah! Went to Exide and they too output a report saying "Good Battery". So gave the current battery for charging overnight but am apprehensive how long it might last.

I am wondering if others are having any battery woes with the Jetta? Which is the right amperage, 60 or 74?
Old 1st November 2016, 14:43   #2721
BHPian

Quote:
I think the bulbs are standard P21/5W. Local shops should definitely have these bulbs in stock. Not sure about brand availability. You could check for either Philips or OSRAM.
Got a local bulb from a local spares shop, on account of diwali all proper spares shops were closed. Could fit it with with ease, after a quick glance at the video Graaja pointed me at, thanks again!

Hope the Jetta electric connections are fool-proof enough and there won't be a major problem if the bulb malfunctions! Have kept a couple of bulbs, spare with me, in case this one conks off while we are at Goa.
Old 2nd November 2016, 16:38   #2722
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by thoma View Post
Exactly 1.5 years after the free replacement from VW, that too conked off or is about to.
I am wondering if others are having any battery woes with the Jetta? Which is the right amperage, 60 or 74?
Hi Thoma, I had the same problem today morning, just after 7 months. While trying the ignition, MFD displayed ABS Error, Airbag Error and ESC Error sporadically now and then. I was in bit of a shock, but arranged a roadside-emergency-assistance service guy to come and check, but he quickly suggested this to be a battery drain issue and did a jump-start. But after driving around for 35mins, I was back to the same situation, and got stuck on the road when switched off at a shop. Managed to jump-start once again with help from a Amaron shop guy, came back home, left the engine to idle for about 45 mins, but once switched off, it again refused to start.

Got the car towed off to nearby VW service centre now few minutes ago. I was ready to get the battery replaced, but they insisted not to do that, since it could be an issue with alternator or other electrical faults which prevents Battery being charged while running/idling.

So soon ? Feeling sad.

Last edited by sunsbhp : 2nd November 2016 at 16:58.
Old 2nd November 2016, 18:37   #2723
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsbhp View Post
Got the car towed off to nearby VW service centre now few minutes ago. I was ready to get the battery replaced, but they insisted not to do that, since it could be an issue with alternator or other electrical faults which prevents Battery being charged while running/idling.
The problem could be most probably with the battery. But I think the workshop will carry out standard tests on the battery to verify this. In case the battery turns out to be good, then it is possible that the problem may be either with the alternator or charging circuit, or some accessory drawing high current when the car is switched off. I think you need not worry as everything should be done under warranty. However, a failure this early is definitely inconvenient and irritating.

Even I had the battery fail in my Jetta in the second year. They took a day to run tests on the battery and replaced the battery under warranty.
graaja is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 2nd November 2016, 19:11   #2724
BHPian

Quote:
The problem could be most probably with the battery. But I think the workshop will carry out standard tests on the battery to verify this. In case the battery turns out to be good, then it is possible that the problem may be either with the alternator or charging circuit, or some accessory drawing high current when the car is switched off. I think you need not worry as everything should be done under warranty. However, a failure this early is definitely inconvenient and irritating.
Yeah, hoping for the least, which is battery. Have not added any new accessories, so a current-overdrawn situation is unlikely. I might have probably left the door unlocked/not closed properly since Monday evening when I returned from Kerala - and in fact was hurrying to the lift with all the bags. And I went back only today morning, after some 35 hours.

Another bad situation is, got a one-inch crack on the windshield from a stone. This happened when I was reaching towards one of the Toll gates on CBE-PKD L&T Bypass road last week, and must have been not more than 50/60 Km/H speed, because I was slowing down, tailing 2 other cars in front of me. And in fact I could see (a glimpse) something falling from above, somewhere above the steering wheel, slightly onto my left side. I could hear a slight glass-shattering sound, and there was a star-shaped crack of about an inch.

I can feel the crack from outside on my finger tip when I press hard and rub, but none at all from inside. Absolutely no water leak - the car was outside on Sunday night when it poured down heavily for few hours - in fact I was worried about water seeping inside, and wanted to park inside at my dad's place (had left outside to make space for a family get-together), but the lightnings were so ferocious that I decided not to take chance with my life - a second time. I drove back all the way to Bangalore, 480Kms on Monday, and crack has not worsened at all.

Now, should I worry about crack widening in short period ? How does the normal windshield glass behave ? I hardly leave it outside in sunlight. Should I get it replaced proactively or get it patched from an expert, or just wait for it to show some signs of expansion ? I hope its not going to just give up one day suddenly and fall apart on me :(

Last edited by sunsbhp : 2nd November 2016 at 19:41.
Old 3rd November 2016, 00:37   #2725
BHPian

Quote:
Even I had the battery fail in my Jetta in the second year. They took a day to run tests on the battery and replaced the battery under warranty.
Had a very similar experience. Battery gave up during 2nd year, had to jump start thrice on different occasions. It showed ESC error on the third occasion which went away after driving her for a few kms.

Went to VW Service center, they kept the car for a day and replaced the battery free of cost. It has been approx 8 months since the replacement battery, no complaint so far, touchwood
Old 3rd November 2016, 19:44   #2726
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

This looks like another battery issue!
Was driving back from Madurai to Coimbatore. Reached Coimbatore and stopped at a shop. When I came back, car refused to crank with flickering warning lights and a tak tak take sound and everything goes dead.

So called RSA. They think its the battery.
I am so not happy with VW at the moment.

Car is barely 6 months old. Never been idle for long, done about 13000km.

So waiting on the road for the RSA people!

Last edited by differential : 3rd November 2016 at 19:49.
Old 4th November 2016, 01:32   #2727
Senior - BHPian

Looks like the Jetta is one heck of a power-hungry car, for whatever reason. For what it's worth, I've clocked nearly 40k kilometres in 2 and something years, and I'm on my 3rd battery now. Had one changed within warranty, and it went kaput in about a year after that. Amazing that these batteries have such a short life span. Let's hope third time's the charm, because I paid for the damned thing this time around.
Old 4th November 2016, 06:27   #2728
Senior - BHPian

Oh man, at this rate I might have to carry a spare battery instead of spare tyre. I had my Cedia for 9 years and changed the battery ONCE.! The OEM battery was Exide too. I changed to Ameron-Flo after 5 years and 65 k kms.
Basically there is some earth leakage problem or somehow the car is using current even when it is switched off. I can't believe the computer and anti-theft system could drain the battery.
Old 4th November 2016, 08:00   #2729
Senior - BHPian

I am really surprised to see many BHPians facing this Battery Issue. Do any of you guys keep the car unused for some days in a week ? I haven't faced this issue, not even once. And my car is over 5 years old (October 2011) to be precise.

Have VW started using Inferior Battery in Newer Jetta's compared to earlier ones ?
Old 4th November 2016, 09:31   #2730
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Do any of you guys keep the car unused for some days in a week ?

Have VW started using Inferior Battery in Newer Jetta's compared to earlier ones ?

It's certainly a mystifyingly common occurrence among newer Jetta's. mine is my daily driver, so it's not like it stands still for days. The workshop stated that there are lots of electronics at play and it saps the battery, but I don't buy that argument. It just seems like they're installing batteries that simply don't supply enough juice over the long run.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks