Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 12th November 2016, 20:13   #2746
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I also got the car back from my 1st year service from Elite Motors. Software update was also done - as shiva mentions even i havent noticed any drop in mileage or power. Bill was 14k odd but i was charged 250 bucks for pickup.

Some idiot biker had banged the front door - SA told me better to replace the door as it is under Zero dep - so he has ordered it with a lead time of 10 days. So far the experience in Elite motors has been better than VW whitefield.
Old 21st November 2016, 18:02   #2747
BHPian

I had recall done for my Jetta today. The work was completed in three hours. Apparently a rectifier is added and ECU update are done. The rectifier is got to do with the fuel system, is what the service advisor claimed. He told me the vehicle's pick up would improve, which I don't believe and that he wasn't sure about the mileage. So I think there would be a drop in mileage. When the car was given back, got a complimentary set useful car cleaning like windshield solution, interior and glass cleaner. Indian customers aren't as lucky as the US customers who got 10,000 USD as compensation.
Old 15th December 2016, 18:56   #2748
BHPian

OK, so I had my car updated last month as I had mentioned earlier. I did not find any difference in the city. But last week, I took the car out for an outstation trip and I could make a difference, especially in 3rd gear and higher rpm.
Today I gave my ecu to petes to get it remapped.
Now for the interesting part. Today, I got a call from one Mr.Pradeep, who is the regional manager for VW. He asked me how the car was doing post the update and what I thought about VW and whether I was willing to buy a VW car in the future. I told him how disappointed I was with VW for the emission scandal and the perceptible loss of power/torque. He said he could make me talk to the expert engineers from VW and they would take me through the whole process. He basically said that there was no loss in power. I also told him how VW treats us, Indians, differently than the others. In US, the customers were offered monetary compensation whereas we were given some cleaning kit (which I did not get, I got a free wash). He asked me what I expected VW to do. I told him that I expected VW to be honest and replace my car (yeah I know what I am asking might be considered greed).
The main reason for him calling was that he wanted to meet me over a cup of tea and to drive a "new" VW car which they were planning to launch next year, which is the Tiguan. I agreed to it. I will probably meet up with him sometime in January. Let me know if someone here wants to accompany me.
Old 15th December 2016, 19:47   #2749
Senior - BHPian

Our car was last serviced in May 2016 at 62k kms. At that time, this recall wasn't announced yet. Now the car has done 65k and the Next service will be at 75k, by that time the car won't be with us.

Looking at the disappointment expressed by other Jetta Owners, I might well skip the update & service. The engine performance is one of the very reasons for acquiring Jetta in October 2011.

I am not bothered about the emission currently as the Emission Test is done at every 6k or 12k kms. And it has been well below the limit. So I am happy regarding that.

Last edited by CarguyNish : 15th December 2016 at 19:49.
Old 19th December 2016, 09:25   #2750
Senior - BHPian

BHPians,

Does anyone know what is the Headlamp Bulb size of Jetta (Halogen Reflector) ? I am thinking of upgrading low beams as they are showing thier age. Phillips/Osram will the preferred choice.

The owners manual doesn't mention anything about this. Majority of bulbs on e-commerce websites are of H7 & H4 types, will these fit without any problems ?
Old 19th December 2016, 16:35   #2751
Senior - BHPian

http://www.lightbulbs4cars.com/volks...20bulb%20guide
This page suggests it is H7 for dimmed HL and Main beam HL. H8 for Fog lights. I am not sure how authentic this site is.
RajaTaurus is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th December 2016, 17:07   #2752
Team-BHP Support

It is H7's for both high and low beams
ajmat is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 20th December 2016, 13:45   #2753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
The main reason for him calling was that he wanted to meet me over a cup of tea and to drive a "new" VW car which they were planning to launch next year, which is the Tiguan. I agreed to it. I will probably meet up with him sometime in January. Let me know if someone here wants to accompany me.
Pls count me in I'm not opting for the upgrade
Old 20th December 2016, 17:06   #2754
BHPian

I got the "software update" done on my 2014 DSG Jetta last week and this week I took it out on a highway trip of 700 kms (BLORE to CBE and back). As far as I am concerned, I did not notice any difference from before. But then I consider myself a very sedate and careful driver and I try not to exceed 120 kmph on any road. (My logic is that if the speed limit is 70 mph in US divided access controlled freeways, it should be lot less in the chaotic indian highways).

The car felt the same. Power was available when I needed to make a quick overtaking maneuver in two laned state highways (stretch between omalur and sankagiri for the people familiar with the route).

I did get the best mileage so far in the life of the car. I managed 18.45 kmpl from BLORE to CBE with about 20 kms of stop and go traffic and the rest in highways. Usually the MID is way off when it comes to mileage but this time it is pretty close. Not sure if this was just a one time thing. Will monitor.

I think I got a lot less on the way back which usually is the case since it is uphill from CBE to blore. Overall I am not complaining much although I guess we have every right to be upset about the way VW has treated Indian Customers.

No remaps planned in the near future as I have 2 more years of warranty left and I am happy with the way the car is right now.
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:36   #2755
Senior - BHPian

Is any one amongst you running a staggered tire setup on your Jettas? I have been thinking of switching the rear tires to 225/50R16 and the fronts to be regular setup of 2015/55R16. There's no thought behind this rather just a whim, do share any experiences, pros/cons of the proposed set up.
Old 22nd December 2016, 02:56   #2756
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by etrast75 View Post
I got the "software update" done on my 2014 DSG Jetta last week and this week I took it out on a highway trip of 700 kms (BLORE to CBE and back). As far as I am concerned, I did not notice any difference from before. But then I consider myself a very sedate and careful driver and I try not to exceed 120 kmph on any road. (My logic is that if the speed limit is 70 mph in US divided access controlled freeways, it should be lot less in the chaotic indian highways).
Yes, If you drive the car very normally to reach from point A to B, Switch gears as soon as possible lower down the RPM you won't notice any difference.

Quote:
The car felt the same. Power was available when I needed to make a quick overtaking maneuver in two laned state highways (stretch between omalur and sankagiri for the people familiar with the route).
Car responds almost the same as before for lower RPM's, Its the Mid range and the top end that had gone weak after the update, Smart move by VW isn't it? This is what they knew, Many are chauffeured driven & Many drive the car sedately in city traffic, So MOST of the owners won't even know the difference, Its only Enthusiasts who like to rev their car, Extract every bit of available power will notice the difference.

Quote:
I did get the best mileage so far in the life of the car. I managed 18.45 kmpl from BLORE to CBE with about 20 kms of stop and go traffic and the rest in highways. Usually the MID is way off when it comes to mileage but this time it is pretty close. Not sure if this was just a one time thing. Will monitor.
Yes even during my city drive, MID was showing 1-2 KPL more than usual, So mileage seems to have been improved after the update.
Old 27th December 2016, 22:38   #2757
BHPian

There is a 'Chu chu' noise coming from RHS rear wheel when the vehicle is in motion. I first noticed it around a month ago. The noise was increasing slowly every day so I visited the workshop during evening.

SA told me that break pads must have been totally worn out. He then inquired about the availability of break pad and rear disc in spars department. The break pads are available and they have to order rear disc. I told him that disc replacement would required only if there is damage in disc, to which he agreed. However he seemed sure that it would be required because he told me to drop the car once the disc part is available at the workshop.

I suggested him to get the breakpads replaced tomorrow. So that the disc damage can be identified during the break pads replacement process (if there is any) and I can also continue to drive the car until the disc part arrives at the workshop. He agreed to it.

My questions are,
What do you guys think about my suggestion and my reasons behind it? Do they seem right?

Should I trust my SA on the call of disc replacement or should I be present there tomorrow to have a look/post pictures here in order to get expert advice?

Should I get all the break pads replace altogether or just the one which is worn out?

Any help would be much appreciated.
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:07   #2758
Team-BHP Support

The battery in my almost 3 year old Jetta has given up - again. When the car was 1.5 years old, the battery failed, and they replaced it under warranty. I have documented this replacement in the below post in my Jetta ownership thread.

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3821639

This replacement battery as well failed again on New Year - just 15 months after replacing. I had to contact road side assistance and get a jump start. Instead of taking the car to the workshop, I had the battery checked by a battery dealer. The battery was completely dead with an open cell.

I have to now either buy the OE VW battery (I dont think it is covered under warranty anymore) which I am sure will fail again in another 1.5 years, or go for Amaron battery which has 60 months warranty (30 months replacement, and 30 months pro-rated).

Amaron website suggests AAM-PR-574102069 as the battery for Jetta. This battery is rated at 74Ah, whereas the one in the Jetta is 61AH.

Has anyone used this Amaron battery in their Jetta? Is there any warranty concern from VW if I change to Amaron during extended warranty period?
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:27   #2759
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post

http://www.team-bhp.com/forum/test-d...ml#post3821639

I have to now either buy the OE VW battery (I dont think it is covered under warranty anymore) which I am sure will fail again in another 1.5 years, or go for Amaron battery which has 60 months warranty (30 months replacement, and 30 months pro-rated).

Amaron website suggests AAM-PR-574102069 as the battery for Jetta. This battery is rated at 74Ah, whereas the one in the Jetta is 61AH.

Has anyone used this Amaron battery in their Jetta? Is there any warranty concern from VW if I change to Amaron during extended warranty period?
Happy new year everyone.
Badluck, badluck and badluck!! Battery failure is a thing of luck, i have started to believe that. Use the best maintenance practices and leave the rest to luck.

I recently changed my battery after it gave up in 3.5 years. Well, VW service centre is a loot. They quoted 8100 for the OEM battery, which is actually EXIDE only, and to my surprise no rebate for the old battery. SA asked me to take the old one home with me. Unbelievable!!

So i went ahead with EXIDE battery, only 2 players in this segment, exide and amaron. You can pick either of them. SA did confirm that nothing happens to vehicle warranty. So i suggest you pick the one which is closer to you and can commit better after sales, just incase.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 2nd January 2017, 13:35   #2760
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
There is a 'Chu chu' noise coming from RHS rear wheel when the vehicle is in motion. I first noticed it around a month ago. The noise was increasing slowly every day so I visited the workshop during evening.

My questions are,
What do you guys think about my suggestion and my reasons behind it? Do they seem right?

Should I trust my SA on the call of disc replacement or should I be present there tomorrow to have a look/post pictures here in order to get expert advice?

Should I get all the break pads replace altogether or just the one which is worn out?
Hi bhavik, did you check with automark or karnavati?

I wonder if the noise is coming from brakepads. If they are kaput, it should come when you brake, but in your case it is coming continuously. Now a days, the staff at automark has completely changed. and yes they are hiring.

If its a brake pads, then it must be front. Those are the first ones to wear out, FWD vehicle. Brakepads will usually come in pair, front and rear, so you should replace both front or both rear. Ask for a thickness report on brakepads, i have seen them during annual service.

Alternatively, visit the bosch service centre near iskon cross roads and get it checked yourself, just a third eye.

and yes, if you are not opting for ecu remap, please stay away from software update. Its a big big let down, specially the mid and high range.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks