Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th March 2017, 14:47   #2836
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Can someone help me out with this dilemma?

Our 2 year old Jetta ( 3 years old according to mfg date) has done 39,000 Km. The tires have become rock hard and there are minute cracks on the sidewalls too.

Road noise has increased considerably. Now comes the million dollar question:

Shall I go for an upside or not?

I have short listed these two brands:

-Pirellis

-Michelin

I am looking for a slightly taller side wall for better ride quality. Can someone please tell me the pros and cons for the same and suggest a suitable tyre model?

EDIT: The stock tyres are Goodyear NCTs
I switched to Pirelli P7's straight out of showroom - i have been pretty happy with them so far (15k kms).
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:17   #2837
BHPian

Thanks - very helpful. This worked. Unfortunately the car manual was not in the car and in any case, their explanation would not have been as simple as below
Quote:
Originally Posted by agambhandari View Post
The buttons on the left spoke of the steering wheel are the cruise control buttons.

In the S mode, it holds the gears for longer till higher revs and you can also shift manually by prodding the lever
Hope this helps
Quote:
Originally Posted by adi_petrolhead View Post
On such occasions I would just say, check the manual!
But assuming you don't have one handy,
1. The Left side buttons on the steering wheel will activate cruise control. Just press the button no. 2 (in clockwise order) to activate/deactivate it.
2. Then press the 'Set' button at your desired speed to engage cruise control and let go of the Accelerator pedal. A green light with cruise control icon should appear in the dials.
3. Press the '+' and '-' buttons to increase or decrease the set speed without touching the accelerator pedal. Speed will change in 1mph intervals and long press will change it in multiples of 5 or 10 mph.
4. Press the CNL button to resume normal accelerator speed control.
5. The S mode is Sports mode. It will hold on to the gears longer thats it. You're good in D mode as well. Shift the lever to the right from D mode to use manual gear changing in the +/- directions depicted below the lever.

It is a 2.0 TSI
Is it a 1.4 TSI Jetta or a 2.0 TSI?
Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Considering its a rental - i am 99% sure its a 1.4T Jetta.
Have absolutely enjoyed the Jetta. VW makes solid cars and their TDI engines are used here too. They have so many car models and should really look to introduce these in India. Jetta is an amazing car with a great automatic gearbox and engine. Love the car
bhpfaninblr is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 19th March 2017, 13:50   #2838
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the advice everyone. Really helped. I will most probably be going for pirellis but lets see what the tyre dealer has to say.

I have noticed a peculiar behaviour with the engine while idling though. The engine has started to misbehave a bit. The idling speed keeps on varying between 900-1050 rpms. Is this because of a weak battery?

The car has done 39,000 Kms and is 2 years and 4 months old. Could the battery be giving up?
Old 20th March 2017, 09:58   #2839
BHPian

Quote:
I have noticed a peculiar behaviour with the engine while idling though. The engine has started to misbehave a bit. The idling speed keeps on varying between 900-1050 rpms. Is this because of a weak battery?
Check if recently some software update for Engine / ECU was flashed by service center.
Had same problem with one of my friend in Laura after servicing and reason was new software flash (i guess for diesel gate problem).
Had asked dealer to revert back to older version and problem was resolved.
Nicky is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th March 2017, 10:50   #2840
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
That's normal, Sometimes during cold start the rpm would be around 1050 rpm and sometimes after driving in bumper to bumper traffic the rpm would be at 1050 rpm instead of the actual idling rpm, Give the car a rev in Neutral while its at 1050 rpm and the RPM will again settle down to the original position, Nothing to worry about man, Enjoy the ride.
Tanveer_2558 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th March 2017, 17:04   #2841
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhavik.1991 View Post
I would recommend to add consumable add-on (the insurance company pays for the consumable as well) & hydrostatic lock add-on. As far as I remember, they bumped the premium by 3K (Hdfc ergo) but I feel they are totally worth it.
Thanks for the input Bhavik, I am afraid the policy was already done by the time I read your message.

On a separate note forum, my Jetta has started showing the oil change message, so I guess its time for my 3rd service. I have noticed 2 major problems with my Jetta:

1) Brakes squeaking, this has been happening for sometime, in fact since the monsoon. When I reverse the car out of my parking slowly as I live in a residential society, the brakes squeak like crazy. Also on the roads, I notice the same when the windows are down. Is this normal for my car's age, 2 years? Whats the fix, how much will it cost? My car is under extended warranty now.

2) The FE has suddenly taken quite a dip, earlier it used to touch 18kmpl on my trips back from office late at night, without much traffic. Now even in those conditions I struggle to get it close to 13/14 kmpl. Is it just because it needs a service now? A bit dumbfounded by this.

Can people also indicate what I should and should not do in a routine service like this? And whats the expected cost?

On a completely separate note, my Jetta (pure white), keep developing scratches and paint peel offs automatically (courtesy other road/parking users I am sure), I know I cannot do anything about that, but I need a shoulder to cry on!

Regards
Old 31st March 2017, 01:06   #2842
Senior - BHPian

Contact your insurer/agent tell them what all you want covered/added on to the policy. They will charge you the relevant extra premium & issue endorsement(s) to the policy. It is as easy as that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Thanks for the input Bhavik, I am afraid the policy was already done by the time I read your message.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:23   #2843
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will be getting the tyres replaced to pirellis p7 in the coming week.

Another problem has cropped up though.

The A/C OR climatronic doesn't cool as efficently as it used to. The air thrown out is still cold but nowhere as cold as it used to be only a week back. I can hear the compressor and it seems to be doing fine.

Is it just that the refrigerant gas level is low ? Never heard of any Jetta owner getting the system charged so enquired or could it be a leak somewhere?

Just a bit worried here. Shouldn't the A/C gas have a longer life than this? My car is about 2 years and 5 months old now. The temperature has also increased to 40° C during the day here in Vadodara. Could that be a reason why the system needs to be recharged or is it something more serious?

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 31st March 2017 at 23:27.
Old 31st March 2017, 23:28   #2844
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks for the suggestions everyone. I will be getting the tyres replaced to pirellis p7 in the coming week.

Another problem has cropped up though.

The A/C OR climatronic doesn't cool as efficently as it used to. The air thrown out is still cold but nowhere as cold as it used to be only a week back. I can hear the compressor and it seems to be doing fine.

Is it just that the refrigerant gas level is low ? Never heard of any Jetta owner getting the system charged so enquired or could it be a leak somewhere?

Just a bit worried here. Shouldn't the A/C gas have a longer life than this? My car is about 2 years and 5 months old now. The temperature has also increased to 40° C during the day here in Vadodara. Could that be a reason why the system needs to be recharged or is it something more serious?

Regards,
Vishy
try getting the AC duct cleaned - i dont think gas leaks in car AC's unless there is a hit to the compressor or piping
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2017, 23:31   #2845
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
try getting the AC duct cleaned - i dont think gas leaks in car AC's unless there is a hit to the compressor or piping
Thanks for the quick reply. I will get the A/C dust checked and get back. The car is due for a checkup anyways so will get that done.
Old 2nd April 2017, 12:49   #2846
Senior - BHPian

On the contrary it could be something as simple as a choked heat exchanger. This hampers the air flow leading to a loss in cooling . The H.E. is the bit with the host of fins sitting upfront right behind the front grill of the car. Have it washed out by spraying medium pressure water jet till the dirty water flowing below becomes clear, it should save the issue.

Quote:
.....Could that be a reason why the system needs to be recharged or is it something more serious?

Regards,
Vishy
khoj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 09:42   #2847
BHPian

Quote:
On a separate note forum, my Jetta has started showing the oil change message, so I guess its time for my 3rd service. I have noticed 2 major problems with my Jetta:

1) Brakes squeaking, this has been happening for sometime, in fact since the monsoon. When I reverse the car out of my parking slowly as I live in a residential society, the brakes squeak like crazy. Also on the roads, I notice the same when the windows are down. Is this normal for my car's age, 2 years? Whats the fix, how much will it cost? My car is under extended warranty now.

2) The FE has suddenly taken quite a dip, earlier it used to touch 18kmpl on my trips back from office late at night, without much traffic. Now even in those conditions I struggle to get it close to 13/14 kmpl. Is it just because it needs a service now? A bit dumbfounded by this.

Can people also indicate what I should and should not do in a routine service like this? And whats the expected cost?
Any inputs forum?

The criticality of this went up last evening, when my Jetta just did not start up. There was a very loud continuous clicking noise from the front on trying to start, and it kept showing various errors on the MID, like "Error: Electronic Stability Control error" and "Move the liver to P/N to start!" etc etc. Had to call in RSA, who jump started it. Not sure why the battery suddenly gave up on me, maybe because it was running the AC as I started the car?

Very disappointing for a 2 year old supposedly premium car, so I need to take it in asap for a checkup and service.

I also tried to get some people to push the car and start it that way, has always worked for manual cars in the past, but did not help in this case , missed a very important appointment.

Please provide any inputs you might have for my questions earlier, will appreciate it. Thanks.
Old 3rd April 2017, 10:03   #2848
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Any inputs forum?

Please provide any inputs you might have for my questions earlier, will appreciate it. Thanks.
It is definitely related to Battery. Cranking Problem/Noise & ESP Error warning are subjected to Battery & Sensor Defect Respectively.

Although Battery issue has been reported by many Owners here, the ESP & ABS Error is something you should get checked.

Regarding Brakes Squeaking, the cause for it AFAIK is because of Hard Water. The water occupies the space/gap between Discs & Rotors. When the wheels rotate, the water (Containing Minerals/Salts) acts as resistor & hence the squeaks are caused. The service center guys will most likely say the same reason. They may go ahead & check the discs & Rotors and give the reason for squeaks.

Low FE can be caused by Dirty Air Filter & Oil Filter. So, get them replaced soon. If your scheduled service is due, get it done. Post service, you'll start to get the earlier figures (16-18 kmpl).

Last edited by CarguyNish : 3rd April 2017 at 10:05.
CarguyNish is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 12:33   #2849
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Any inputs forum?

The criticality of this went up last evening, when my Jetta just did not start up. There was a very loud continuous clicking noise from the front on trying to start, and it kept showing various errors on the MID, like "Error: Electronic Stability Control error" and "Move the liver to P/N to start!" etc etc. Had to call in RSA, who jump started it. Not sure why the battery suddenly gave up on me, maybe because it was running the AC as I started the car?

Very disappointing for a 2 year old supposedly premium car, so I need to take it in asap for a checkup and service.

I also tried to get some people to push the car and start it that way, has always worked for manual cars in the past, but did not help in this case , missed a very important appointment.

This is definitely a battery failure - all the errors are also because of battery failure.

Battery is a very weak link in the Jetta. I had two batteries fail (the one that came with the car, and then the one they replaced under warranty). When the second battery failed, I changed to Amaron. So, if your battery is not under warranty, change it to Amaron (or Exide). Do not go for the OE battery from VW.

Push and start is only good for manual cars. It does not work on a DSG car. The only way to get it started is by jump starting.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 3rd April 2017, 13:43   #2850
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Regarding Brakes Squeaking, the cause for it AFAIK is because of Hard Water. The water occupies the space/gap between Discs & Rotors. When the wheels rotate, the water (Containing Minerals/Salts) acts as resistor & hence the squeaks are caused. The service center guys will most likely say the same reason. They may go ahead & check the discs & Rotors and give the reason for squeaks.
Hmm, so whats the solution for this, very embarrassing to be honest

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Low FE can be caused by Dirty Air Filter & Oil Filter. So, get them replaced soon. If your scheduled service is due, get it done. Post service, you'll start to get the earlier figures (16-18 kmpl).
Yes, will take it in for servicing next available slot, hopefully the FE will return, and also the feel of the car will improve.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
This is definitely a battery failure - all the errors are also because of battery failure.

Battery is a very weak link in the Jetta. I had two batteries fail (the one that came with the car, and then the one they replaced under warranty). When the second battery failed, I changed to Amaron. So, if your battery is not under warranty, change it to Amaron (or Exide). Do not go for the OE battery from VW.

Push and start is only good for manual cars. It does not work on a DSG car. The only way to get it started is by jump starting.
Thanks for the inputs graaja, my Jetta is under extended warranty so they will hopefully replace the battery, I will definitely urge them to. Yeah I know now push-and-start doesn't work for DSG, grr.

BTW for the service, are there some frills I should avoid, like AC disinfectant, wheel balancing etc etc?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks