Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 30th April 2017, 16:09   #2881
Team-BHP Support

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by GT145 View Post
How much did it cost including transaction charges and shipping ? Also which model is your GT ?
Cost 338 Euros including shipping. Yet to check the value in INR. I think it should be close to 24K. My GT is 2015 manufactured.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Could this be a loose wire or am I looking at a motor replacement? More importantly, will Mr. Volkswagen charge me for the whole darn assembly or courteously change the motor and do me a favour? Any inputs will be greatly appreciated.
It could be one of so many reasons for this problem. It could be a simple loose wire, or something major like a control module failure. The best is to take it to VW and get it diagnosed first.

If your car is in warranty, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about as everything will be replaced under warranty. If out of warranty, once you get details from VW on what has failed, what needs to be replaced and what is the cost, you can decide on the next steps. Most VW spares are available for a fraction of cost from online stores outside India.
graaja is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st May 2017, 09:40   #2882
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
While we are discussing about battery woes, I also discovered that none of the Jettas can be push started.

My Jetta's battery went flat when my idiotic driver charged his phone with it. He then popped the clutch and tried to push start it.

Tried it twice but each and every time he releases the clutch, the Jetta cuts off the ignition and fuel supply. Thus we had to jumpstart the car instead

Just a warning, if you have a flat battery, don't waste time in push starting. Just jump start the car instead
Partly incorrect. The jetta can be push started but has to be in say 2nd or 3rd gear. 3rd is preferable as you are trying to push start at say 400rpm and not at 4000 rpm and in 3rd gear it helps the car to roll into a start.

Second, you need enough charge to light up the ecu so usually recommendation is to switch of all electrical components including auto lights, audio system etc.

If there is some life in the battery which is sufficient to lights up the screen but not to start the car, this is enough for ecu and hence push start is possible.

Partially correct because with no power to power the ecu, its impossible. Easiest solution is get a battery tender that people use for say a motorcycle. Charge the battery but remove the wires and try starting. If you dont you will pop the fuse in the battery tender line. Worth investing in battery tender or a portable jump start kit. Mine stays inside the car for good and i charge it once a month to keep it full.
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 2nd May 2017, 21:46   #2883
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
It could be one of so many reasons for this problem. It could be a simple loose wire, or something major like a control module failure. The best is to take it to VW and get it diagnosed first.

If your car is in warranty, then there is absolutely nothing to worry about as everything will be replaced under warranty. If out of warranty, once you get details from VW on what has failed, what needs to be replaced and what is the cost, you can decide on the next steps. Most VW spares are available for a fraction of cost from online stores outside India.
Thanks for the response. I took the car to the service centre and this is what happened.

- The S.A reset the MID but nothing happened

- He also tried to push the lock button on the key but nothing happened

- He tried to push the ORVM manually as a last measure and it worked. The mirror functioned perfectly.

Unfortunately the issue reccured again. The same problem. The mirror won't budge.

Now that I know the motor functions perfectly, could this just be a loose wire or any other factor???

Thanks in advance,
Vishy
Old 3rd May 2017, 09:46   #2884
Senior - BHPian

Could be the motor or the gear assembly.. try opening the entire assembly and lubricating the entire moving parts.. inspect if any gear teeth has worn out.. if it still doesn't work, only option I am afraid is to change the entire assembly..

All the best! 😊
Chethan B G is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2017, 14:44   #2885
Senior - BHPian

Guys,

I bought a preowned 2011 Jetta Comfortline last week. I would like to know how can one check FE using the MFD. There are 2 FE settings, one if Instantaneous and the other is for trip but then it gets reset every time I stop the engine. How can one check average FE between fuel refills?
Old 9th May 2017, 15:00   #2886
BHPian

Quote:
While we are discussing about battery woes, I also discovered that none of the Jettas can be push started.

My Jetta's battery went flat when my idiotic driver charged his phone with it. He then popped the clutch and tried to push start it.

Tried it twice but each and every time he releases the clutch, the Jetta cuts off the ignition and fuel supply. Thus we had to jumpstart the car instead

Just a warning, if you have a flat battery, don't waste time in push starting. Just jump start the car instead.
Hi vishy76,
thats not totally true. I push started my jetta in your own city. I commute to work in baroda from ahmedabad and my battery gave warning but somehow started from ahmedabad and i thought the drive of 130 kms would do some charging. But that was not the case. I tried to push start in baroda and it worked.

Last edited by Mission_PGPX : 9th May 2017 at 15:04.
Mission_PGPX is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 13:44   #2887
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
Hi vishy76,
thats not totally true. I push started my jetta in your own city. I commute to work in baroda from ahmedabad and my battery gave warning but somehow started from ahmedabad and i thought the drive of 130 kms would do some charging. But that was not the case. I tried to push start in baroda and it worked.
Thanks for that. Can you please tell me exactly how you push started the car so that I don't have to wait for a jump start again. I tried it two to three times but in vain. The car simply wouldn't fire up.

Maybe the ECU didn't get enough power? That could be a plausible explanation. The battery probably didn't even have enough power for the ECU. Even the DRLs were very dim when the car was in ignition.

thanks,
vishy
Old 10th May 2017, 13:56   #2888
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
...I tried to push start in baroda and it worked.
Quote:
Thanks for that. Can you please tell me exactly how you push started the car so that I don't have to wait for a jump start again....
There are two points to note on this.

I don't think it is possible to push start a DSG car at all. The clutches are controlled by hydraulic solenoids which in turn require oil pressure and electrical power to operate. There is no way you can shift the DSG from neutral to a gear.

In case of a manual, if the battery has enough juice to at least power the ECU, push starting should be possible. If the battery does not have enough voltage to power the ECU, then again push start is not possible as fuel injection requires ECU intervention.
graaja is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 19:45   #2889
BHPian

Clock Spring / Slip Ring Issue

Just wanted to report an unusual issue with my 2014 Jetta DSG. A couple of weeks ago, while taking a U turn, I heard a "Click" sound from the steering wheel and immediately the airbag error light came on. Also the MFSW buttons and the horn stopped working. A quick google search by my wife sitting next to me confirmed that the clock spring unit behind the MFSW, that contains the wire connections for MSFW controls, horn, and airbag had malfunctioned. More specifically, the "click" sound was of this wire disconnecting/breaking. Interestingly, there was a recall in US for 2011-2015 Jetta to replace faulty clock spring (Link). No sign of such a recall in Europe and rest of the world though and therefore I thought it was hopeless to fight it out with VW India for my case - I don't have extended warranty

Next, I tried searching here for someone who had faced a similar issue and found a thread (Link). So I knew that I was looking at close to 25k as damages. On @Tanveer_2558's recommendation, I took the car to Kurla VW workshop, where I was told that they will have to order the part for replacement. New Clock Spring arrived the very next day from Aurangabad but when they put it in, another error light (yellow steering wheel on the dash) popped up. The workshop guys tried everything they could but the steering wheel light just would not go away. To complicate diagnosis, the left/right buttons on the right side of the MSFW were not working and a scan showed cruise control error.

Upon probing the issue deeper, I found that the original clock spring installed in my car had the part number 5K0-953-569-AE but ETKA system at the Parts department matched my VIN to part number 5K0-953-569-AL, which is what had arrived from Aurangabad. Since the workshop guys were not able to figure out the solution themselves, they escalated the issue to VW engineers. I was told that most likely an appropriate coding needs to be done for the new part number and indeed that was the case. But the TAT from VW engineers was more than 48 hours for a simple solution such as this. The coding instructions should have been included with the new part anyway. Because of the unusually long time it took VW to respond, the car was at the workshop from Wednesday till Monday next week for a procedure that takes 30 minutes once the part becomes available. Anyway, glad that the issue is sorted out now. Total damage 22k (part 20k and installation 2k).
Old 10th May 2017, 20:52   #2890
Team-BHP Support

Re: Clock Spring / Slip Ring Issue

AE to AL is fine because as they years go by, the version changes but the hardware is essentially the same - I've noticed it with the BT unit and the parking aid control unit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
I was told that most likely an appropriate coding needs to be done for the new part number and indeed that was the case.
There is no coding which has to be done for installing a new clock spring since it does not have any circuitry inside. It is just a piece of ribbon cable wound inside the round plastic casing and a connector connects to it. That's all.

But besides that, the Jetta's clock spring also has the steering angle sensor for the ESP and cornering light functions. While installing it, one has to align it properly (calibration basically) and install it into the column. Else it will throw the steering light error. I am guessing the clock spring was not installed properly especially when you say this:

Quote:
But the TAT from VW engineers was more than 48 hours for a simple solution such as this. The coding instructions should have been included with the new part anyway.
Gannu_1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 10th May 2017, 23:35   #2891
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
There is no coding which has to be done for installing a new clock spring since it does not have any circuitry inside. It is just a piece of ribbon cable wound inside the round plastic casing and a connector connects to it. That's all.
So I decided to take a closer look at the faulty Clock Spring to verify Gannu's assessment. The clock spring does have a lot of connectors - 5 in total spread across on all sides.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224116.jpg
Front View. Connector 1 to Steering Wheel (probably)

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224125.jpg
Back side view

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224150.jpg
Bottom view. Connectors 2 and 3

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224217.jpg
Top View. Connector 4

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224227.jpg
Left View. Connect 5

Next I decided to open it up. There are two casings. The first casing contains the cable as seen in the pictures below.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224903.jpg
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224939.jpg
The broken end of the cable and damaged metal connectors can be clearly seen here. The "click" sound was indeed the sound of this cable snap.

Then I opened up the second casing. Turns out there is a circuit board inside this casing.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_225122.jpg

I was wondering if VW was insane to charge 20k just for a cable under a plastic case. I guess it makes some sense now and maybe the coding reason given by them was correct.

What's strange is that forum member dr.kushagra also posted pictures of busted clock spring from his Superb (link) and looks like his thing did not have any circuits and was a different shape. Whats even more confusing is that his replacement part had the same part number as mine. Here is the pic of the box in which my replacement part came in.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20170510_224246.jpg
Immix is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 11th May 2017, 07:58   #2892
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

What's strange is that forum member dr.kushagra also posted pictures of busted clock spring from his Superb (link) and looks like his thing did not have any circuits and was a different shape. Whats even more confusing is that his replacement part had the same part number as mine. Here is the pic of the box in which my replacement part came in.
Attachment 1637670
The parts numbers are common as also the parts sharing. This accounts for VW's good margins. I had to remove the clock spring to change the indicator of my vRS. As it had no ESP, it was straightforward without any coding.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 11th May 2017 at 11:15. Reason: Typo...
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2017, 21:39   #2893
Distinguished - BHPian

Hello everyone,

I have a question regarding the DPF or diesel particulate filter. Firstly,

- Does the Jetta have one? I read the passat official review which said that the 2.0 TDI does not offer a DPF due to lenient emmision norms and expensive replacement costs in India atleast.

- At how many kilometers does it have to be replaced?
Old 17th May 2017, 12:09   #2894
Senior - BHPian

DPF should be in the TDI's. The trick is to run it atleast 20-30 kms a week to heat it up enough to keep it relatively clean. Read the forums there are so many thread on the same. Usually too many short trip is where this DPF has hit trouble. Weekly once giving enough time for the car to run usually helps.

The manual said something like 120K miles(roughly 192K kms). Thats close to 20 years in my car i guess

Check this thread - posts 1850-1860
VW2010 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th May 2017, 16:20   #2895
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by neoonwheels View Post
Guys,

I bought a preowned 2011 Jetta Comfortline last week. I would like to know how can one check FE using the MFD. There are 2 FE settings, one if Instantaneous and the other is for trip but then it gets reset every time I stop the engine. How can one check average FE between fuel refills?

There are 2 setting. Instead of scrolling you need to press the OK button for it to go to the one which does not get reset & needs a manual (long press) reset only.
vkaul1 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks