Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 22nd January 2018, 00:01   #3061
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hello owners. I was having two minor issues with my 48K done 2.0 TDI. Here they are:

- An increase in NVH levels slightly. The clatter had increased by 20% but what bothered me was the boominess which used to give the engine a rough nature. I attributed this to the fact that my dad barely revs the car upto 2000 rpm and upshift very quickly. So gave the car an Italian tune up. Took it on an empty road and asked my dad to Rev her up to 3.5K to 4K RPM. This worked. The boominess is almost gone now. The clatter seems to only creep in when you try to load the engine in gear. Suppose from 100 to 120 in 6th gear. This didn't happen before, although I know 6th is an overdrive ratio. I plan to use liqui moly diesel injector cleaner. Has anyone tried this?

- Another question, although it isn't an issue is that there is a whine when the car is revved from as low as 1200 RPM to 2000 RPM. It's a very faint sound and only comes when you Rev up to 2K rpm or lift off from the gas pedal at that point. Otherwise, the car revs very cleanly and there is absolutely no hesitancy. The whine also disappears after 2000 rpm and takes the form of a whistle which can only be heard when you roll the windows down. Do other owners experience this? I am quite sure it is the turbo, only want to know whether it is making the right noises or not. As I said my dad doesn't Rev beyond 2K very often and also idles the turbo after a hard drive according to my instructions.

Sorry for the long post.

Regards,
Vishy

Last edited by vishy76 : 22nd January 2018 at 00:02.
Old 22nd January 2018, 20:26   #3062
BHPian

One of the fog light bulbs on my 2012 CL conked off today. Can someone help me with the exact specification for the replacement? Also, is it an easy DIY (any video to show how this is done)? I don't want to go to the service station for this. Thanks in advance.
Old 23rd January 2018, 12:40   #3063
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
One of the fog light bulbs on my 2012 CL conked off today. Can someone help me with the exact specification for the replacement? Also, is it an easy DIY (any video to show how this is done)? I don't want to go to the service station for this. Thanks in advance.
H8 halogen bulb.

Youtube has lots of videos for a DIY. Looks like you will have to take the fog light housing apart, which might be a little tedious.
Old 26th February 2018, 12:10   #3064
BHPian

Hi
I wish to share my ownership experience of my Jetta TSI (manual 1.4L )for the last 2 years.

PROs
Silky smooth engine
Excellent fit and finish
Sturdy (expected nothing less from VW)
Good support from Automark, Andheri

CONs

Poor torque at low RPMs ( to be expected from a small 1.4L engine before the turbo kicks in)

Suspension setting too hard - not suitable for Indian roads. My repeated feedback on this issue has not convinced Automark to do anything about it.

I would like feedback fro Jetta owners how to improve the ride quality. Perhaps changing the tyres to Michelin or Pirelli may help partially. What else can be done?
Old 26th February 2018, 12:16   #3065
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Hi

Suspension setting too hard - not suitable for Indian roads. My repeated feedback on this issue has not convinced Automark to do anything about it.

I would like feedback fro Jetta owners how to improve the ride quality. Perhaps changing the tyres to Michelin or Pirelli may help partially. What else can be done?
Change to comfort oriented tyres and run slightly lower pressures when driving within city. But don't forget to top up pressure to recommended levels before going out on long drives.
Santoshbhat is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 12:20   #3066
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
It has become a trend for car manufacturers to specify unusually high tire pressures, and VW is no different. The easiest and most effective way to dramatically improve ride quality is to drop the tire pressures by 5psi. Low speed ride comfort and bump absorption increases DRASTICALLY. On the flip side, the vehicle does feel a bit heavy and FE drops by about 2kmpl. Also, this configuration is suitable only for urban driving. You will need to pump the air back up to pressure for highway driving.

I have slip disc problem and am very sensitive to jerks and bumps. Both my Hondas run no higher than 28psi. My Hexa, which has become my daily driver on account of it's excellent suspension and superb seats, runs even lower at 26psi. Ride quality becomes truly magic carpet. But again, such low pressures are only for city driving and are too risky for three digit speeds.
Shreyans_Jain is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th February 2018, 12:31   #3067
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shreyans_Jain View Post
It has become a trend for car manufacturers to specify unusually high tire pressures, and VW is no different. The easiest and most effective way to dramatically improve ride quality is to drop the tire pressures by 5psi. Low speed ride comfort and bump absorption increases DRASTICALLY. On the flip side, the vehicle does feel a bit heavy and FE drops by about 2kmpl. Also, this configuration is suitable only for urban driving. You will need to pump the air back up to pressure for highway driving.

I have slip disc problem and am very sensitive to jerks and bumps. Both my Hondas run no higher than 28psi. My Hexa, which has become my daily driver on account of it's excellent suspension and superb seats, runs even lower at 26psi. Ride quality becomes truly magic carpet. But again, such low pressures are only for city driving and are too risky for three digit speeds.
The Inflation pressures recommended are for "full load" or " max load" , we normally never drive with 5 people in the car.

I normally maintain 26 psi on the tyres.The ride quality is still pretty poor. Especially on the concrete road sections, the ride is particularly harsh.

VW does not accept the problem. Perhaps they have launched the vehicle in the same suspension set up as it was in N. America /Europe.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
Change to comfort oriented tyres and run slightly lower pressures when driving within city. But don't forget to top up pressure to recommended levels before going out on long drives.
Yes will try changing the tyres. Michelin should be good. The GY tyres for Jetta are pretty average.

Last edited by Eddy : 26th February 2018 at 12:44. Reason: Merged
Old 27th February 2018, 19:47   #3068
Distinguished - BHPian

VAG tune seems to have done a climatronic retrofit on what appears to be a Jetta Trendline Pre-2014 model. Additionally, the OEM Bi-xenons and the MIB Head unit has also been retrofit. Some images of the same:

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-28277052_1646123835507798_1565212626515637485_n.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-28276852_1646122772174571_1581130986326848880_n.jpg

Additionally, a shark fin antenna and the new generation steering was also fitted. How does the stock antenna on the trendline look like? I thought that this was standard across the range.
vishy76 is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 11:02   #3069
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
VAG tune seems to have done a climatronic retrofit on what appears to be a Jetta Trendline Pre-2014 model. Additionally, the OEM Bi-xenons and the MIB Head unit has also been retrofit.
That's not the MIB unit that came factory installed in the second batch 2015 Jetta and onwards. This is the RCD330+ available on Aliexpress from $100 to $250 depending on the features (Android Auto, Carplay, etc.)

The Bi-xenons are also available on Aliexpress for around $350. They are definitely not OEM so the quality and optics will not be great.

These are just cheaper alternatives to Vagtune, who I personally have always found to be extremely expensive
Old 28th February 2018, 13:27   #3070
BHPian

Quote:
Hi
I wish to share my ownership experience of my Jetta TSI (manual 1.4L )for the last 2 years...

.... I would like feedback fro Jetta owners how to improve the ride quality. Perhaps changing the tyres to Michelin or Pirelli may help partially. What else can be done?
I changed a couple of years back from GY to Michelin P3ST. The change in ride quality as well as noise was very apparent even to the family. Of course running slightly lower than recommended psi also helps in urban conditions.
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th February 2018, 13:54   #3071
Senior - BHPian

Hi everyone,

I would like to comment on the issue pertaining to the hard ride. I have a 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG which were running on the Goodyear NCT5 (205/55/R16) tires. I used to maintain 35 PSI and yes the ride was really hard. Reduced it to 33 PSI and it was much better but still hard.

Changed my tires to the Michelin PS3 (225/50/R16) with 33 PSI and the ride was really good. The perfect ride would be 32 PSI.

So the ride of the Jetta is influenced by the tires as well as the tire pressure maintained. I feel that 80% of the cause of the hard ride was due to the horrendous Goodyear NCT5 tires.
Epic is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 1st March 2018, 20:03   #3072
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Epic View Post
Hi everyone,

I would like to comment on the issue pertaining to the hard ride. I have a 2015 VW Jetta TDI DSG which were running on the Goodyear NCT5 (205/55/R16) tires. I used to maintain 35 PSI and yes the ride was really hard. Reduced it to 33 PSI and it was much better but still hard.

Changed my tires to the Michelin PS3 (225/50/R16) with 33 PSI and the ride was really good. The perfect ride would be 32 PSI.

So the ride of the Jetta is influenced by the tires as well as the tire pressure maintained. I feel that 80% of the cause of the hard ride was due to the horrendous Goodyear NCT5 tires.
Thanks ,it is becoming increasingly apparent that the GY tyres are mostly to blame. I will give it a try very soon.
Old 8th March 2018, 20:17   #3073
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi all,
The check engine light in my 2012 jetta is on (not blinking but on all the time). Also, the AC refuses to go to recirculation mode. The outside temperature reading is also blank. I believe this could be a wire connection issue ( due to rate bite) and hence the check engine light. There is no loss of power or any other issue. Anyone else faced this in their jetta. Thanks.
Old 8th March 2018, 20:38   #3074
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivasuma View Post
Hi all,
The check engine light in my 2012 jetta is on (not blinking but on all the time). Also, the AC refuses to go to recirculation mode. The outside temperature reading is also blank. I believe this could be a wire connection issue ( due to rate bite) and hence the check engine light. There is no loss of power or any other issue. Anyone else faced this in their jetta. Thanks.
Its a rat bite 100%, Had faced the same issue with my jetta, Should be a simple fix and make sure you look for the tar brush ideas to keep the rats away.
Old 24th March 2018, 12:26   #3075
BHPian

Hey Guys, now that the jetta production has been stopped and it never did sell in huge numbers, any guesses what the future is going to be for spare parts availability?

Do the owners face any issue with the parts at the ASC?

Also, how easily are the parts available in local market?

I am looking to buy a used jetta, and have a trusted FNG guy who regularly repairs VAG cars, but the spare parts support is what worries me.

Most Viewed