Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 8th May 2018, 10:55   #3091
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by manjubp View Post
Post changing the battery for my pre owned Jetta(2014, 2.0AT), I notice that the fuel tank flap/door remains unlocked. In normal case, the fuel flap/door needs get locked along with central lock. But now, it won't and will remain unlocked. However latch mechanism is working as intended.

Any pointer on how resolve this? or have you come across this issue earlier?
Most likely, the lock actuator of your fuel tank flap/door has gone bad. Lock actuators (Doors & Fuel tank) in the Jetta are somewhat fault prone. I myself had to get the fuel tank door lock actuator replaced on my 2014 Jetta DSG last year.
Old 31st May 2018, 14:23   #3092
BHPian

My 2013 Jetta's front passenger door wont lock with either the key or manually. I called the dealer(Hyd - Khajaguda) and he says the "door latch" needs to be replaced and quotes 12k. Thats kinda steep. Is this expected and any ways of cost-cutting ?
Old 31st May 2018, 15:13   #3093
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
My 2013 Jetta's front passenger door wont lock with either the key or manually. I called the dealer(Hyd - Khajaguda) and he says the "door latch" needs to be replaced and quotes 12k. Thats kinda steep. Is this expected and any ways of cost-cutting ?
Does the car door handle open the car? Might be a jammed actuator.
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 16:03   #3094
BHPian

Yes. The door opens. I just realized from the manual that there's a rubber washer on the door side, on removing which, you can use the key to lock or unlock. After doing it a few times, somehow, the lock and unlock works okay now with and without the remote locking. I'm happy like a dog (for now) ☺️

Thank you for responding and hope this helps someone stuck.
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st May 2018, 17:30   #3095
Team-BHP Support

All you need is to spray WD40 into the area,
ajmat is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 11:20   #3096
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
All you need is to spray WD40 into the area,
Duct tape and WD40 are enough to repair anything. If it moves and should not, use duct tape. It it should move and it does not, use WD40. LOL.

Cheers
tilt is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2018, 18:22   #3097
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post

We had a similar issue but in our case the front passenger door refused to open from inside when unlocked. I guess it was a faulty actuator that was replaced for around 10k. The SA pointed out that the electricals in the Jetta are not so good and can be faulty.
Old 4th June 2018, 10:29   #3098
BHPian

My 2014 Highline DSG TDI completed 40,000kms over last weekend. Car has been mostly trouble free except for some rubbing noise from the rear brakes at slow speeds.. Multiple attempts with multiple dealers to fix the problem have been unsuccessful so far. So I have learnt to live with it for now.
Still a lovely car to drive, enough power on tap and the looks have not aged even a bit. I guess understated elegance works in the long run. Still on original tires which are bit puncture prone and looks like it will last at least another 5000 kms.

Warranty ends on September after which either a remap or a new SUV.. Kodiaq is tempting..
Old 5th June 2018, 15:36   #3099
Senior - BHPian

Jetta Mk5 owners, need your help. I was looking at mk6 models in the used car market, but a few days ago one of my neighbor has put up his mk5 jetta for sale. Its a March 2011 comfortline 110bhp 2.0 tdi engine model with 1.38 lakh on the odo.

I would've never considered cars with 1lakh plus on the odo, but this being a car i've seen from day 1 and majority of the kms being due to highway runs i'm making an exception.

My usage is only 5-6k a year and I plan to keep this car for 3-4 years if I buy. Usage would be mainly for highway runs with a few drives within the city. Is it advisable to pick it up or should I stick to the mk6 ? What big items would need replacement in the next 3-4 years should I decide to buy this car.
Old 6th June 2018, 16:35   #3100
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
Jetta Mk5 owners, need your help. I was looking at mk6 models in the used car market, but a few days ago one of my neighbor has put up his mk5 jetta for sale. Its a March 2011 comfortline 110bhp 2.0 tdi engine model with 1.38 lakh on the odo.

I would've never considered cars with 1lakh plus on the odo, but this being a car i've seen from day 1 and majority of the kms being due to highway runs i'm making an exception.

My usage is only 5-6k a year and I plan to keep this car for 3-4 years if I buy. Usage would be mainly for highway runs with a few drives within the city. Is it advisable to pick it up or should I stick to the mk6 ? What big items would need replacement in the next 3-4 years should I decide to buy this car.
I am an MKVI user, however i can vouch for MKV, since my close friend drives one and he too bought used with 67000 on ODO. The car has now completed 1.3 lac kms and running on pete's remap as good as new.

You can consider radiator coil leakage, compressor valve change and usual wear and tear expenses. If you have closely observed the car over years, non-accidental and ready to keep aside 50K to 1 lac for surprises, then go for it. These beauty is made to last 2.5 - 3 lac kms, with regular scheduled maintenance.

Make sure that the car is properly maintained at VW service centre and your plus point is that major service of 1.2 lac kms may have been done, which includes timing kit and tranny oil with usual filters etc. Take 40K for tyre replacement, bent alloys and another 20K for interior and exterior detailing for negotiation. Good luck!
Mission_PGPX is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 6th June 2018, 18:24   #3101
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mission_PGPX View Post
I am an MKVI user, however i can vouch for MKV, since my close friend drives one and he too bought used with 67000 on ODO. The car has now completed 1.3 lac kms and running on pete's remap as good as new.
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I'm in two minds since the car has relatively high odo reading and many are telling me i'd need to factor in expenses for possible issues with fuel lines, injectors and turbo. I'm guessing a clutch and suspension overhaul may also come up soon.

The car was maintained at VW until last year after which all work was done at Bosch SC. The owner claims to have all records of services so I'll look see what was changed after 1.2 lakhs on the odo.

Any idea on what were the expensive parts your friend had to replace during the course of his car ownership ?
Old 7th June 2018, 10:31   #3102
BHPian

Quote:
Hey, thanks for the detailed reply. I'm in two minds since the car has relatively high odo reading and many are telling me i'd need to factor in expenses for possible issues with fuel lines, injectors and turbo. I'm guessing a clutch and suspension overhaul may also come up soon.

The car was maintained at VW until last year after which all work was done at Bosch SC. The owner claims to have all records of services so I'll look see what was changed after 1.2 lakhs on the odo.

Any idea on what were the expensive parts your friend had to replace during the course of his car ownership ?
Until now only timing kit and gear oil srevice costed north of 40K. Tyre change costed 35K and AC valve replacement costed 10K. VW service centre asked to change the compressor worth 80K, however a known garage knew what may have gone wrong and changing this valve made it work in 1/10th of expense quoted by VW. Other than that consider break-pads all 4 for about 15K and breakdisk 10K each. Thats that.
Mission_PGPX is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th June 2018, 15:11   #3103
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Since you are buying it used, also consider that when you put it for sale it would be 3rd owner and more than 1.5L KM on odo. You might have to scrap it since people avoid buying such high odo and 2-3 owner cars.

Last edited by manson : 27th June 2018 at 13:56. Reason: Trimmed quote.
neoonwheels is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 10th June 2018, 21:53   #3104
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Guys,

1st issue has cropped up in our Jetta after 5 years.
So, after 17 months, 3 more issues have been discovered.

1. ABS & ESP Warning Light.
2. Headliner is Sagging
3. Rumbling noise from Front Axle.

1. ABS & ESP warning light has surfaced, Braking is as good as before. I suspect it's a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor.

2. The Headliner was good till early this year, but since last 4-5 months it has been sagging. I think it's the glue that holds it to the roof has dried.
Any solutions to this ?

3. Off late, I am hearing rumbling noise from Front side. The tyres were silent, but this sound is becoming more pronounced over time. Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3ST. I checked with my tyre guy, he said wheels are good. Nothing wrong with them. He is suspecting Wheel Bearing to be the culprit here.

So, is it the wheel bearing ?
I am yet to visit a VW Service Center.

Any estimate of price of the Wheel Bearing. Car's warranty period is over.
Old 10th June 2018, 23:24   #3105
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
So, after 17 months, 3 more issues have been discovered.

1. ABS & ESP Warning Light.
2. Headliner is Sagging
3. Rumbling noise from Front Axle.

1. ABS & ESP warning light has surfaced, Braking is as good as before. I suspect it's a faulty Wheel Speed Sensor.

2. The Headliner was good till early this year, but since last 4-5 months it has been sagging. I think it's the glue that holds it to the roof has dried.
Any solutions to this ?

3. Off late, I am hearing rumbling noise from Front side. The tyres were silent, but this sound is becoming more pronounced over time. Tyres are Michelin Primacy 3ST. I checked with my tyre guy, he said wheels are good. Nothing wrong with them. He is suspecting Wheel Bearing to be the culprit here.

So, is it the wheel bearing ?
I am yet to visit a VW Service Center.

Any estimate of price of the Wheel Bearing. Car's warranty period is over.
1. The wheel speed sensor has gone kaput. Since you also complain of rumbling, it has to be the wheel bearings also gone since both mechanisms are interdependent on each other.

2. I reckon it's about 10K at the service centre for headliner replacement. Do you park under the sun very often? Could be the reason.

3. The wheel bearing costs 10K+. Add another 3.5K for the wheel speed sensor and you are looking at a bill of 15K for these two easily.

Last edited by vishy76 : 10th June 2018 at 23:40.
vishy76 is online now   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks