Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:42   #3361
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Astonite View Post
We had a similar problem in our 2015 Jetta. We were suggested by the service center that the tires are the culprit. Could not understand the logic though but changed anyways (the tire had some life left but will require replacement soon). After the change to (Primacy 3ST), the problem disappeared.
Perhaps a balancing job would have sorted the issue.Rubber hardening is not related to vibration. Most cases a re-balancing of the tyres would sort the problem. Unless the tyres are very badly worn (camber wear/centre wear/feather edge wear etc) which indicates poor alignment or wrong inflation pressure maintenance. Most cases of vibration can be resolved without requiring a tyre change. Also, in the climatic condition we generally operate in, tyres can be safely used for 4 or 5 years.
Dead Head is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd June 2019, 08:46   #3362
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dead Head View Post
Perhaps a balancing job would have sorted the issue.Rubber hardening is not related to vibration. Most cases a re-balancing of the tyres would sort the problem. Unless the tyres are very badly worn (camber wear/centre wear/feather edge wear etc) which indicates poor alignment or wrong inflation pressure maintenance. Most cases of vibration can be resolved without requiring a tyre change. Also, in the climatic condition we generally operate in, tyres can be safely used for 4 or 5 years.
I'm not so sure if it was related to balancing. Our cars get balanced regularly and none of them had this problem. Neither did our previous vehicles. Moreover, this looks like a problem with VW. This has been reported in Tiguan thread as well.
Old 24th June 2019, 20:25   #3363
BHPian

I got my Jetta Road Force Balanced today. The people working at the place suggested me to get Hub Centric Rings since the car is running on 17inch Momo Alloys. The car however has had plastic hub rings from the time it has been upgraded to 17inch wheels which is over 5-6 years. I've read on a few websites that the rings only help to mount the wheels. I have a few questions in the regard.
1) Does the hub centric ring cause vibration?
2) Metal rings can be corroded easily. Should I still upgrade to metal rings from plastic?
3) If at all they can cause vibration, is it possible for plastic rings to be deformed?
Old 25th June 2019, 01:11   #3364
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by sarfraz1997 View Post
I got my Jetta Road Force Balanced today. The people working at the place suggested me to get Hub Centric Rings since the car is running on 17inch Momo Alloys. The car however has had plastic hub rings from the time it has been upgraded to 17inch wheels which is over 5-6 years. I've read on a few websites that the rings only help to mount the wheels. I have a few questions in the regard.

1) Does the hub centric ring cause vibration?

2) Metal rings can be corroded easily. Should I still upgrade to metal rings from plastic?

3) If at all they can cause vibration, is it possible for plastic rings to be deformed?

I also have MoMo alloys and have been told they are heavy - and this cause vibrations of used without rings. Not sure which rigs are these. Let me know what come out of your expedition from this exercise...
Old 25th June 2019, 17:34   #3365
BHPian

The vibration is still persisting even after Road Force. I've been told that a set of 2 hub rings will cost around 800-1000 INR.
Also, does anyone know how to individually aim the headlight beams? I know how to do both together but I want to adjust high beam only.
Old 25th June 2019, 18:48   #3366
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Also, does anyone know how to individually aim the headlight beams? I know how to do both together but I want to adjust high beam only.
Refer this link - https://www.myturbodiesel.com/wiki/m...dlight-aiming/
Old 25th June 2019, 18:53   #3367
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gannu_1 View Post
I've checked this thread. He mentioned the procedure to adjust both together fairly well. But to adjust each one independently is somewhat unclear. Attaching a screenshot from the same for reference.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-screenshot_20190625185045.jpg  

Old 6th July 2019, 17:25   #3368
BHPian

My 75k run 2015 Jetta HL A/T gave a shocker last week.

The A/C conked off. Got it checked at an FNG with VCDS and found a leak. Fixed the leak but the A/C wasn't cooling still. Took the car to VW ASS in Whitefield, Bangalore and got the following estimate:

A/C Compressor - 1K0820808F - INR 63K
A/C Condensor - INR 19K
O Rings & Bolt - INR 500
A/C Gas 1.8K
A/C Oil 1.6K
V Belt (For abnormal engine noise) - INR 700

Apparently the compressor oil had severely degraded and possibly caused the failure. Do you guys service the A/C at a regular interval? I've changed other lubes including the DSG but seem to have missed this. An expensive lesson I suppose.
Old 6th July 2019, 17:45   #3369
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post

The A/C conked off. Got it checked at an FNG with VCDS and found a leak. Fixed the leak but the A/C wasn't cooling still. Took the car to VW ASS in Whitefield, Bangalore and got the following estimate:

A/C Condensor - INR 19K
O Rings & Bolt - INR 500
A/C Gas 1.8K
A/C Oil 1.6K

Apparently the compressor oil had severely degraded and possibly caused the failure. Do you guys service the A/C at a regular interval? I've changed other lubes including the DSG but seem to have missed this. An expensive lesson I suppose.
There is a gas pressure valve inside the compressor which conks of in the Jetta and Octavia at about 75000 km. In the Cruze it conks of at about 80,000. I have given a detailed report of the con that the service center guys do and how I saved about 40,000 a few ago in my chevrolet cruze. This part for the cruze including AC filling costs 4500 and about 5000 for the Jetta. It is only this part that needs replacement. You have been conned. Period. The compressor in my Cruze is now 1,82,000km old. I was, as in your case too asked to replace the compressor at the 80,000km by 6 ac engineers including that of GM. According to my AC technician the compressor will last you about 200,000km but this part will last you about 80,000 km.

Time taken to replace the part is about 20 minutes including gas filling.

You can go through my thread for details and photos too.
drpullockaran is offline   (7) Thanks
Old 7th July 2019, 01:10   #3370
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
I also have MoMo alloys and have been told they are heavy - and this cause vibrations of used without rings. Not sure which rigs are these. Let me know what come out of your expedition from this exercise...
Hey,
I got the Hub Centric Rings. The vibration is now gone. They're perfect now. I was charged 700 per hub ring in Hyderabad at Ashoka Wheels. I got them on all 4 tyres.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 15:00   #3371
BHPian

How much does the DSG oil change cost on the Jetta including the labour and the filter? I dropped my car today. Will be getting it back tomorrow but I've noticed that Hyderabad is charging more than other cities. Hence, I'd like to know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Abhi_Automobile View Post
Jetta owners - I am facing a rather peculiar issue with my Jetta. I am experiencing slight shake/vibrations on the steering when the speed of the car goes beyond 100. The vibrations increase at 120, and progressively thereafter.

I faced similar issue about 3 yrs ago, and it turned out my alloys were bent. I changed them under warranty, and lived in peace for a couple of yrs. This time too, the alloys were bent - so, I changed them again, with after-market ones this time. Currently, my car is running Momo revenge 17", with Michelin PS4 225 R45, which I think is the right size (for an upgrade). However, the shakes and judders in the steering hasn't gone. I've shown it the VW guys, who seem to have no clue!

I am very frustrated with the lack of knowledge of both the tyre shop (a very famous one in NCR region), as well as VW folks - who actually blamed the tyre upgrade for a long while. The VW service folks claim that the suspension is perfectly okay (I hope they are right).

What to do now...?
Hey, I've the same alloys, Revenge 17" on my Jetta. Getting the hubrings solved my problem. However in my case, The vibration started at 100 and increased till 140. Nothing after that.

Last edited by Aditya : 8th July 2019 at 16:53. Reason: Back to back posts merged
Old 8th July 2019, 16:06   #3372
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
How much does the DSG oil change cost on the Jetta including the labour and the filter? I dropped my car today. Will be getting it back tomorrow but I've noticed that Hyderabad is charging more than other cities. Hence, I'd like to know.
With reference to this post (Driven: The 2011 Volkswagen Passat):

Rs. 1600/- liter for the oil, total comes to around 12K +/- a few hundred here or there.
I paid something similar for the Laura as well but that in 2016, so rates could be a little different over time.
lamborghini is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th July 2019, 22:53   #3373
BHPian

Quote:
I got it done 6 months back on VW palace cross, it costed me 15K+ including labour and tax.
manjubp is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 9th July 2019, 14:08   #3374
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
Has anyone installed Philips LED or any other LED bulb in their non-highline Jetta ?
Hey Ethan,

I just got that done last week. My pre-owned jetta came with HIDs installed and the ballast of the low beam went kaput. So the choice came down to LED vs HIDs and I went with a Chinese manufactured one as I wanted to try these out and the price differential was 2x as well.
So the current setup is that my high beams are HIDs while the low beams are LEDs. I will still need to adjust them to ensure the reflectors do a good job with the throw but that is for another day.

Let me know if you need any more info.
Old 9th July 2019, 16:05   #3375
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by icyspikey View Post

A/C Condensor - INR 19K
O Rings & Bolt - INR 500
A/C Gas 1.8K
A/C Oil 1.6K

Hello Speak to MysoreRoad team also, you might get some better option, i know the GM there, if you want i will speak to them to get better price for this.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks