Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 18th May 2020, 18:32   #3481

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Dear All

Is it advisable to use 65ah battery in place of OEM fitment of 60ah battery in Jetta TDI 2.0. Will there be any benefit/loss if I do so. Please suggest.

Regards
Lokesh
Old 20th May 2020, 19:20   #3482
BHPian

Hi all,

My Jetta diesel MT has a mileage of 74k KM on it and is a 2014 model.

Recently I've experienced vibrations in the car when I turn the AC on. On a closer inspection, I noticed the compressor belt, alternator pulley and the tensioner to be running smoothly without any belt slip and excess vibrations. However as soon as the radiator fan turns on, the car starts vibrating abnormally and this seeps inside the car as well (can be especially felt while holding the steering and feeling the dashboard around the gear shifter). It is not an issue with the AC blower as well as just turning on the fan without AC wouldn't produce the vibration.
Any idea if the radiator fan causes this? Has anyone faced this before? Many thanks in advance.

Also, I am in Gurgaon at the moment. Could any member bhpian over here lend me his VAG cable for sorting this issue out. It'll be a great help as buying one at the moment looks difficult.
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:00   #3483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr_Pinkcity View Post
Dear All

Is it advisable to use 65ah battery in place of OEM fitment of 60ah battery in Jetta TDI 2.0. Will there be any benefit/loss if I do so. Please suggest.

Regards
Lokesh
I dont think that should cause an issue. I've been using DIN 74AH (currently Exide Epiq) on my Jetta from a very long time. Many people have used higher rated batteries on their Jetta's.

Also, does anyone have an idea if the 2011 onward Jetta has a wiper fluid sensor? I've activated it but it should low fluid msg on the dashboard. I ordered a replacement sensor to replace it but couldn't locate it while I looked at it either from the wheel arch or the fog lamp sensor.
Old 23rd May 2020, 21:50   #3484
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by atulanand13 View Post
Hi all,

My Jetta diesel MT has a mileage of 74k KM on it and is a 2014 model.

Recently I've experienced vibrations in the car when I turn the AC on. On a closer inspection, I noticed the compressor belt, alternator pulley and the tensioner to be running smoothly without any belt slip and excess vibrations. However as soon as the radiator fan turns on, the car starts vibrating abnormally and this seeps inside the car as well (can be especially felt while holding the steering and feeling the dashboard around the gear shifter). It is not an issue with the AC blower as well as just turning on the fan without AC wouldn't produce the vibration.
Any idea if the radiator fan causes this? Has anyone faced this before? Many thanks in advance.

Also, I am in Gurgaon at the moment. Could any member bhpian over here lend me his VAG cable for sorting this issue out. It'll be a great help as buying one at the moment looks difficult.
The radiator or AC fan bearing might have been damaged on your car. In the case of my car, the radiator fan set makes a whirring noise and some sqeuaks while shutting off. This is attributed to dust on the motor armature and I have been assured it won't affect the functioning of the fan itself nor cause failure.

Get your radiator fan set checked and the bearing examined for excessive play. You can manually look for play by gently trying to move the fan laterally when the engine is off. Some play is normal, but a lot of it indicates an issue.
vishy76 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 14:27   #3485
BHPian

Thanks Vishy,

I got the car checked yesterday at my trusted garage next door. The radiator fan seems to be vobbling more than normal and causing the vibrations. It increases as I turn the AC on and goes away when I turn it off.

One solution is to replace the entire fan set which is ~Rs. 30k/- (VW price)
I don't want to invest this much at the moment and looking at an alternate cheaper solution.

Any ideas on that?
Old 24th May 2020, 16:35   #3486
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Thanks Vishy,

I got the car checked yesterday at my trusted garage next door. The radiator fan seems to be vobbling more than normal and causing the vibrations. It increases as I turn the AC on and goes away when I turn it off.

One solution is to replace the entire fan set which is ~Rs. 30k/- (VW price)
I don't want to invest this much at the moment and looking at an alternate cheaper solution.

Any ideas on that?
Instead of replacing the entire fan set you can replace a single fan although this won't be possible at VW. A single fan assembly will set you back by around 16K for the primary radiator fan.

Last edited by vishy76 : 24th May 2020 at 16:48.
vishy76 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th May 2020, 16:44   #3487
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Instead of replacing the entire fan set you can replace a single fan although this won't be possible at VW. A single fan assemble will set you back by around 16K for the primary radiator fan.
Yes. I enquired about this and fans can be bought separately. Still they are quite expensive.
Question is can't they be repaired?
Or cant we get these spares from outside by some other OEM?
Old 24th May 2020, 21:48   #3488
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Yes. I enquired about this and fans can be bought separately. Still they are quite expensive.
I casually enquired with a Bosch FNG and he bluntly told me that the entire fan needs to be replaced.

Having said this, I spoke to a couple of Jetta owners who did claim that they replaced the fan bearing for a sum of 2-3K max. You can try this route but I am not sure how many FNGs will agree. Don't give up though. If you can get the bearing replaced, nothing like it. It's a Febi-Bilstein make IIRC.
Old 30th May 2020, 13:54   #3489
BHPian

Hi Forum,

Clearing out my cupboard this morning, ran into an old leftover Windscreen Clear Concentrate, from VW.

It's still well within its use by date.

My question is can I just use it directly in my Jetta windscreen fluid tank, or do I need to add water etc?

Attaching a photo of the same for reference.

Thanks in advance for inputs.

Regards
Harsh
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-15908269009481902244626472854209.jpg  

Old 30th May 2020, 13:58   #3490
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
Hi Forum,

Clearing out my cupboard this morning, ran into an old leftover Windscreen Clear Concentrate, from VW.

It's still well within its use by date.

My question is can I just use it directly in my Jetta windscreen fluid tank, or do I need to add water etc?

Attaching a photo of the same for reference.

Thanks in advance for inputs.

Regards
Harsh
It's a concentrate so you surely need to add water to it. How much is something that should be written on the bottle itself because even I have one and it does mention that quantity if water to be added IIRC. I will hunt for it and PM you if that's the case
Old 31st May 2020, 09:04   #3491
BHPian

Quote:
I have repaired the fan of my Skoda Laura in the past on two occasions. First time, the smaller fan stopped working. And second time, the bigger fan was wobbling badly. Just like your case.

The car has clocked more than 50000 kms after the repair and it has been good so far.
carizma is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 31st May 2020, 09:06   #3492
BHPian

Quote:
The radiator or AC fan bearing might have been damaged on your car. In the case of my car, the radiator fan set makes a whirring noise and some sqeuaks while shutting off. This is attributed to dust on the motor armature and I have been assured it won't affect the functioning of the fan itself nor cause failure.

Get your radiator fan set checked and the bearing examined for excessive play. You can manually look for play by gently trying to move the fan laterally when the engine is off. Some play is normal, but a lot of it indicates an issue.
So after enquiring at 2-3 more garages, I got to know that the play is more in the AC fan and I guess changing it might solve the problem. I have found many garage owners quoting Rs.4500/- for this fan. I have been told that this fan is a used fan from another Jetta and it won't give any issues due to it being used. Have you ever got a replacement like this, I meant a spare from a used car?

Also, I have a doubt. Could this fan alone cause such a vibration that can be felt so clearly inside the cabin as well?
Old 31st May 2020, 09:09   #3493
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
So after enquiring at 2-3 more garages, I got to know that the play is more in the AC fan and I guess changing it might solve the problem. I have found many garage owners quoting Rs.4500/- for this fan. I have been told that this fan is a used fan from another Jetta and it won't give any issues due to it being used. Have you ever got a replacement like this, I meant a spare from a used car?

Also, I have a doubt. Could this fan alone cause such a vibration that can be felt so clearly inside the cabin as well?
I wouldn't suggest a used part. I have never installed one in my own car and you never know when a used part will conk off either. I would suggest you go for a brand new unit only in this case.

You need to get your engine mounts checked thoroughly as well since that might be causing vibrations due to increased engine speed when you turn on the air con. The rest of it is upto your mechanic. If the vibes are too strong, it might not only be the fan but also the compressor pulley. Get the serpentine belt removed and check the tensioner and pulley bearing.
Old 31st May 2020, 09:13   #3494
BHPian

Quote:

Old 31st May 2020, 09:18   #3495
BHPian

Quote:

Pardon my ignorance. Could you elaborate on what you mean by AC fan? Is it the blower unit? Where is it located?
carizma is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed