Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 6th November 2020, 09:46   #3541
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Exclamation mark next to cruise control? I got that on and off initially and then permanently in mine and ended up changing the ABS sensor. As like everyone else, I too doubted battery, but I guess you better prepare for replacement of ABS Sensor.
But 3-4 times ignition is new issue for Jetta. That needs attention asap.
Oh dear, could this have happened when they performed wheel alignment and wheel balancing, or maybe when fitting the tyres? I had an ABS sensor issue on the left front tyre last year when my car went over a ziplock takeaway bag littered on the road, it was closed as well, so when the tyre passed over it, it went off with a bang, and I immediately started seeing the ABS warning light. I had to get the ABS sensor replaced, damages around 8k .

Maybe I should take it back to the tyre garage, because I noticed this right after the tyre replacement., maybe they know something about it.

Thanks for your input.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
I don't think cruise control will have anything to do with battery issue. Also, if you are able to start the engine after 3-4 cranks, that means the battery has enough juice for the 4 cranks. This may not be a problem with the battery.

As you have a long trip coming up, I would suggest you get the car thoroughly checked at the VW workshop including a battery test.

PS: Any particular reason why cruise control is important specifically between Kohlapur and Belgaum?
Thats the only stretch where I end up using cruise control, as its so smooth. Thanks for your input.

I was so not looking forward to these last minute trips to service centers!
harryputtar is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th November 2020, 10:33   #3542
Senior - BHPian

As per my Service guys, the front right ABS sensor is the probe that works also for the Cruise Control. So, get it checked because, I had a peculiar problem of speed limit of 50 kmph when the sensor was faulty. The car wouldn't go beyond 50 no matter how much I floored the gas. Though no other Jetta owner reported this problem, it is better to be safe. You don't want to be caught with such issue a thousand km from home, do you?
RajaTaurus is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 7th November 2020, 09:49   #3543
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by harryputtar View Post
I had to get the ABS sensor replaced, damages around 8k .
I got it replaced with ATE ABS sensor, 2,800 including labour at a FNG in front of my eyes.

When checked with Elite VW, Bangalore, they quoted 6,200.
5000 part, 600 sealant (not required for this work),600 labour.
All the VW service centres are fraudsters it seems. Their service is one of the worst I've seen.

I had pleasant service centre experience throughout my ownership of Fiat Linea, PPS Service centre in Hosur road took it to another level. Pukka professionalism.
GladRagu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th November 2020, 16:33   #3544
BHPian

[Posting it in the Jetta TD thread to see if I can get more responses]

Hello folks,

I am being offered a used Jetta 2015 model - 2.0 TDI - at around 6.5 Lakhs in TN. Its a single owner car, but has done close to 150K kms in 5 years!

I quite liked the car, it looks well taken care of and all service records available, but is completely unsure about the expenses for maintaining a 150K km old German D segment Car.I might want to keep the car for 3-4 years and 50K kms. I couldnt find anyone writing about their Jetta post 1.2 Lakh km here on TBHP.

1. What are things that I should check for while buying? (water pump, door lock, fuel lock etc are what I learned so far from the forums. anythign specific at this kms range)

2. How much should I keep aside for maintenance+expenses every year?

I have had a Linea TJet, a Fiesta petrol, and a Polo before. This is sort of an unknown territory, so finding out if it is the best option to go.

Thank you so much for your help.
Old 14th November 2020, 23:10   #3545
AYP
Senior - BHPian

Hey guys, looking for suggestions to replace the DRLs in our Jetta Comfortline. Looking for a canbus error free LEDs or Halogens(white coloured) for a reasonable price, preferably avoiding International shipping(sites like Amazon India would be preferred).

Any suggestions?
Old 23rd November 2020, 11:05   #3546
BHPian

Need a help with fog lamp.

Last week I purchased a 2015 Jetta HL AT with 121K KMS on the Odo. I gave the vehicle on Saturday for 120K kms service with VW Mount Road, Chennai.

At the time of delivery of the car I checked for the error codes and it showed a faulty fog lamp error code. Today the ASC technician informed me that the error code is due to the upgradation of the stock fog lamp to a LED lamp (along with new set of wires, etc,.) by the previous owner and both the lamps are working fine. He informed me that due to this the error message will continue to come up in the MID.

Just want to know from the gurus, is there any way to reset the error code for fog lamp??
Old 24th November 2020, 09:51   #3547

Quote:
Originally Posted by singleton View Post
[Posting it in the Jetta TD thread to see if I can get more responses]

Hello folks,

I am being offered a used Jetta 2015 model - 2.0 TDI - at around 6.5 Lakhs in TN. Its a single owner car, but has done close to 150K kms in 5 years!

I quite liked the car, it looks well taken care of and all service records available, but is completely unsure about the expenses for maintaining a 150K km old German D segment Car.I might want to keep the car for 3-4 years and 50K kms. I couldnt find anyone writing about their Jetta post 1.2 Lakh km here on TBHP.

1. What are things that I should check for while buying? (water pump, door lock, fuel lock etc are what I learned so far from the forums. anythign specific at this kms range)

2. How much should I keep aside for maintenance+expenses every year?

I have had a Linea TJet, a Fiesta petrol, and a Polo before. This is sort of an unknown territory, so finding out if it is the best option to go.

Thank you so much for your help.
Hi there,

The price offered to you is fair I think.

I own a 2014 Jetta Highline TDI. I have almost 90K on the Odo. These are the works that I have had to do since I bought it as a used car.
1. Clutch replacement (LUK) ~35k INR
2. Stabilizer link ~7k INR
3. All struts (SACHS)~30K INR
4. Front right ABS sensor ~3k INR
5. Lower Arm: ~32K INR
6. Steering rack end: ~ 4K
7. Tie Rod ends: ~4.5K
8. Front Disk rotors: ~9K

Now I am not saying that all this will need changing, but the above is just to give you an idea of how much spares cost. All the part's I used are OEM/OES and work has been done at a trusted FNG in Pune. Also not all of it NEEDED replacement, I did it because I always like my car running well and am a little finicky personally.

Another thing is that things like clutch and braking systems come as sets, ex: the entire clutch assmbly needs to be changed, Brake booster and brake pump/cylinders need to be changed together. I am OK with it because trust me the car drives like a dream. Maintain it well (unlike me) and you should have too many issues with it.
Akshay_Rebel is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 11:46   #3548

Hello All,

I would appreciate some advice on the below.

I own a 2014 VW Jetta HL manual TDI. It has clocked ~90K on the ODO. Recently I found out that 2 of my alloys have a bend on them. I do know someone in Pune who claims that they can be repaired. I would like to know if anyone has had their alloys repaired and what was their experience like?

Also if I want to replace them, should I go the OEM route? Do aftermarket alloys affect performance or cause problems to components like the steering rack or the tie rod ends?

The second thing I need is to upgrade the stock headlights as I do a lot of night driving on highways. Should I go the HID route? Has anyone done this on their Jetta?

Any tips and advice would be greatly appreciated.
Old 24th November 2020, 14:06   #3549
BHPian

The headliner went kaput. Checked with VW and the usual replacement and cost story. From the forum got to know about FIXMYCAR, called them up, nobody picked up. The next day they called back and I told them my requirement. They said they will check and get back but never did. So decided to take the plunge myself with guidance videos from YouTube.

This is the best video I found on YouTube on how to disassemble the headliner from a Jetta.

So started the process of gathering essentials for the Job. Headliner material with polyfill backing 2.5 meters, Rs.350/- per meter. Color is a close match but not the exact one. The exact match shade did not have foam backing. In hind sight should have gone for the material without foam backing as manipulating the thick material is extremely hard. 2.5 liters of Fevicol Heat X and applicator brush. All procured from J C Road, Bangalore.
Started Sunday morning, started dismantling the all the fixations, lights and panels.

All fixtures are easier to get to but the screws behind the side panels next to rear seat a pain to get to as you need an extra long TorX wrench to get to and it better be magnetized else the screw falls in to the Abyss. Had to jugaad two tools to make one extralong one to get to these.

Could not get the liner out through the back door as shown in the video. but managed to pull it out and put it in through the boot.

Pulled the cloth back and the foam was stuck to the liner. Tried the usual tools suggested but found the plastic bristle brush to be more effective as the angle grinder with the wire brush gouged the liner. The glue was all sticky and was not sure if I could get it out. Tried using paint thinner, IPA, scrubbing and what not, but it remained. So decided to leave it overnight so that the glue could harden and by morning it was set.

Started early morning Monday. Decided to go half and half as shown in YouTube videos. But being a cold morning by the time the glue was applied on the liner material the glue on the hard liner began to dry. So tried various options, doing quarter at a time, that was a screw up as applying glue to the other quarter became impossible.
Went about doing horizontal smaller sections and started from the back as it had relatively less profiles with only the dome light.
The difficult areas are the grab handle profiles and the entire front portion. Thick liner fabric manipulation is very difficult and you are bound to get wrinkles. Finished of gluing by 11:00 am. Let it to dry for a couple of hours and put it back.

There are a couple of wrinkles, hope they even out with use.

Learnings:
1. This is definitely not a one man job.
2. Even though the car is solidly built everything inside is fragile and delicate. A little bit of additional force can lead to locking tabs flying in all directions.
3. Patience is the key and store all removables in order especially the screws. I misplaced two of them and still searching.
4. Leave extra material on all sides and do not trim it until all the gluing is complete.

Cost:
1. A weekend
2. 350 X 2.5 meters(lining material) = 875
3. 460*2.5 liters(Fevicol HeatX) = 1150
4. Applicators and other consumambles(cloth and Gloves) = 250
Total with lots of elbow grease = 2,275.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_103739.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_103744.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_144130.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_144123.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_144141.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_144536.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_144540.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201122_145455.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201124_123241.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201124_123244.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20201124_123313.jpg  

Last edited by AJITHAAA : 24th November 2020 at 14:15.
AJITHAAA is offline   (10) Thanks
Old 24th November 2020, 14:22   #3550
BHPian

I have the same issue with the headliner sagging. I get my car serviced at a FNG and he said he has done this on multiple Skoda and VWs. Planning to get it done from him and the quoted price was 10K.
Old 25th November 2020, 01:28   #3551
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Akshay_Rebel View Post
Hello All,

Recently I found out that 2 of my alloys have a bend on them. I do know someone in Pune who claims that they can be repaired. I would like to know if anyone has had their alloys repaired and what was their experience like?
I have one of my rims on Jetta lathed approximately 8 months ago and it is working fine. I purposely use it for rear. Do this only if there is a minor crack or leak, otherwise it is always better to replace
Quote:
Also if I want to replace them, should I go the OEM route? Do aftermarket alloys affect performance or cause problems to components like the steering rack or the tie rod ends?
Not mandatorily OEM rims but OEM recommended size. Other wise steering rack, suspension etc. take a hit.
Quote:
The second thing I need is to upgrade the stock headlights as I do a lot of night driving on highways. Should I go the HID route? Has anyone done this on their Jetta?
Please go with projectors if you are planning for HIDs or go for LED like Ultinons if you do not want projectors.

If you want a DIY, click here (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here) for an example.

Quote:
Originally Posted by AJITHAAA View Post
They said they will check and get back but never did.
It was I who got that job done. I spoke to them and left the car. They just outsource it someone else. But it was worth 5K.
Quote:
Cost:
1. A weekend
2. 350 X 2.5 meters(lining material) = 875
3. 460*2.5 liters(Fevicol HeatX) = 1150
4. Applicators and other consumables(cloth and Gloves) = 250
Total with lots of elbow grease = 2,275.00.
Amazing job there. Now we know whom to contact if anyone has a saggy roof
sangam_mm93 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th November 2020, 09:35   #3552

Quote:
Originally Posted by sangam_mm93 View Post

Please go with projectors if you are planning for HIDs or go for LED like Ultinons if you do not want projectors.

If you want a DIY, click here (Auto Lighting thread : Post all queries about automobile lighting here) for an example.
Thank you for your input. I checked with a well known accessory dealer here in Pune and was told that LED lights are not supported by my Jetta model. The only option I have is HID. Is that correct? If not I would really like to have LED's fit. Appreciate your input.
Old 25th November 2020, 10:17   #3553
BHPian

Good job, Ajithaa !! this is definitely not for the weak hearted :-)

Regarding the headliner sag, that's a pain that I lived with for a few months but one day decided to get it fixed. It costed me 7K in Hyderabad in one of the car decor places on the Ministers Road. He took about 4 hrs to get it done - the color is not the exact match but it goes ok.
Old 26th November 2020, 20:22   #3554
BHPian

Can anyone refer a website, where I can download a build sheet for a 2015 Highline AT. This vehicle was built in April 2015.

Thanks in advance.
Old 29th November 2020, 09:02   #3555
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vasanthjn View Post
Can anyone refer a website, where I can download a build sheet for a 2015 Highline AT. This vehicle was built in April 2015.

Thanks in advance.
Hey, I can help you with the buildsheet as per your VIN. Do let me know if I can help.

Most Viewed