Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews


Reply
 
Search this Thread
Old 18th July 2021, 20:45   #3646
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 13
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Hi, if you dont mind could you share the price you got it for and how many kms the car has done?
I'm looking to get a Jetta myself. Would also be interested in getting a remap. Many say a TCU tune is a must when going for an ECU tune. What's your take on it?
Thanks in advance.
Please PM me for the price details.
I had the same doubt on remap and spoke to tune-o-tronics guys. They suggested ECU only rempa + performance air filter (VW racing) for stage 1 remap.
sandy_shm is offline  
Old 19th July 2021, 15:51   #3647
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 224 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
Please PM me for the price details.
I had the same doubt on remap and spoke to tune-o-tronics guys. They suggested ECU only rempa + performance air filter (VW racing) for stage 1 remap.
Hi, I see both of us are newbie members and wouldn't have the PM option yet. Please share your email ID or you can reach me on niraj.tyson@gmail.com whichever is easier.

I've had this in my mind since DQ250 would have a torque limit set close to 400nm from factory and with a remap the figures inch close to 400-440nm based on the tuner we go to. Would it be safe in the long run if we run without the TCU map? Maybe experienced members could shed some light.

Regards
duker2997 is offline  
Old 19th July 2021, 19:31   #3648
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,452
Thanked: 4,473 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
I've had this in my mind since DQ250 would have a torque limit set close to 400nm from factory and with a remap the figures inch close to 400-440nm based on the tuner we go to. Would it be safe in the long run if we run without the TCU map? Maybe experienced members could shed some light.
I owned a Jetta diesel automatic for almost 70k kms, and the ECU was remapped for about 55000 of those. I never had any issues with the engine or drivetrain. The only painful reminder of it was the black smoke that is seemingly customary with any remapped diesel, a reminder that the car runs a bit dirty. I never got nor bothered contemplating the TCU tune. 2 other Jetta's in my immediate friend's circle were remapped too, with no TCU tune done for them either. Both of them ran reliably too, no worries. Get a stage 1 tune without any worries.
iliketurtles is offline  
Old 19th July 2021, 20:04   #3649
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jul 2021
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 44
Thanked: 224 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I owned a Jetta diesel automatic for almost 70k kms, and the ECU was remapped for about 55000 of those.
=====
Get a stage 1 tune without any worries.
Hi Karan, have gone through your entire ownership thread today. Kudos to your patience and the way you've documented it, it was a great read. In context to the black smoke, can live with it given the fun we get behind the wheel. Thanks for the confirmation regarding the TCU tune.
duker2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 20th July 2021, 13:30   #3650
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2014
Location: Pune
Posts: 208
Thanked: 102 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hi Forum,

Need some quick feedback from experienced members.

I own a Mar 2015 registered 2.0 TDI DSG Highline first owner Jetta, which has done close to 48k Kms as of now. The car was going to be up for sale in 6 months or so.

The car is in good shape, has new tyres all round (replaced in November last year), a brand new Amaron battery (replaced last month), and has complete VW ASS service history. It being a white Jetta, there are some scratches and small dents which come from owning a white car in India, but I will try to get them fixed before sale.

A friend of mine recently jumped right into the scheme of things, and proposed to buy my Jetta, as an upgrade from his current sedan. Since he is a friend I really want to quote a fair price to him.

So the question is, what is a fair price for my Jetta. I am looking for inputs from experienced members, and also those who have recently bought or sold their Jettas.

Please help forum.
harryputtar is offline  
Old 21st July 2021, 16:36   #3651
Newbie
 
Join Date: Jan 2020
Location: Bengaluru
Posts: 13
Thanked: 8 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
I would appreciate inputs/suggestions from owners and experts on these

1. I want to add auto fold functionality to the ORVMs. Read a few articles about changes via VCDS but have not come across anybody successfully doing it. Please share the details if anybody could get this done successfully.
2. Love the flat bottom steering wheel in 2015 facelift. Any pointers on where can I source these from and approx. cost.
TIA
Realized that auto folding ORVMs is already there in 2014 Jetta, so all set here. Would appreciate inputs on sourcing of flat bottom steering .

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Hi, I see both of us are newbie members and wouldn't have the PM option yet. Please share your email ID or you can reach me on niraj.tyson@gmail.com whichever is easier.
Sent you details on your mail id.

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
I owned a Jetta diesel automatic for almost 70k kms, and the ECU was remapped for about 55000 of those. I never had any issues with the engine or drivetrain.
Which tuner did you and your friends go for? Your experience will help making the decision easier for newbies.

Thanks!
sandy_shm is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 16:50   #3652
Senior - BHPian
 
iliketurtles's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Bombay
Posts: 1,452
Thanked: 4,473 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandy_shm View Post
Which tuner did you and your friends go for?
We went with Peteís tune, because they were running an incredible deal (we got it done for just 17000 per person). But there was a catch: the franchise in Bombay couldnít do it himself, and shipped our ECUs to Kochi to get it done. I would only recommend Peteís if you didnít have to do that.

Seeing youíre in Bangalore, Iíd recommend e-Tuners, Quantum, and Tune-o-Tronics. I think Code 6 too has done lots of diesel VAG cars. You canít go wrong with any of them.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 21st July 2021, 17:16   #3653
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 391 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

God i love this beast. My 2013 Jetta 2.0TDI is pushing close to 94000km now and I did a run from Chennai - Coimbatore - Chennai over the last few days, such a pleasure to hit the highway with this planted mean machine. And an even bigger thrill to average 20+ kmpl when i drove spiritedly on the way in and 22+ on the drive back when i stuck to 100 for the first 165km. Seriously going to miss this when it's time to let go.
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 22nd July 2021, 21:29   #3654
BHPian
 
puntOOs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 168 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I just bought a 2014 Highline DSG this month from a BHPian. It needed a major service (1.2L kms). The main extra items were timing kit, water pump, DSG Dual Mass Flywheel, DSG oil and filter, entire front suspension and all brake pads. I got all the work done through Wheels Wisdom.

The drive is really great!

I am customizing it with a Headunit from German DNA. It is a converted VW group Headunit from MQB platform cars which has Android auto and Apple Carplay. There is also a VW group rear camera procured similarly. I also got a used Blackvue dashcam (from another BHPian!). All these items still need installation as the vehicle just came back from the workshop.

One more thing is the OEM seat material has a lot of wear and tear. I want to put some fresh seat covers. Has anybody done this in their Jetta? I really don't want to mess with the airbags. Are there airbag-safe options in Bangalore? I am considering Saddles India as they supply to OEMs. Would be good to know if anyone has experience with them.
puntOOs is offline  
Old 23rd July 2021, 11:23   #3655
BHPian
 
tilt's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2013
Location: Canada / B'lore
Posts: 773
Thanked: 2,679 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
God i love this beast. My 2013 Jetta 2.0TDI is pushing close to 94000km now and I did a run from Chennai - Coimbatore - Chennai over the last few days, such a pleasure to hit the highway with this planted mean machine. And an even bigger thrill to average 20+ kmpl when i drove spiritedly on the way in and 22+ on the drive back when i stuck to 100 for the first 165km. Seriously going to miss this when it's time to let go.
Yeah, Jetta is a great car not just for touring, but also from a good-enough performance point of view, with its wonderful handling and the tractable engine

But how on earth did you manage 20+ with spirited driving and 22+ when you stuck to 100 for a significant distance? Did you push the car with the engine turned off? I honestly do not believe you!

Cheers
tilt is offline  
Old 23rd July 2021, 12:03   #3656
BHPian
 
Join Date: Jun 2013
Location: Chennai
Posts: 184
Thanked: 391 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by tilt View Post
Yeah, Jetta is a great car not just for touring, but also from a good-enough performance point of view, with its wonderful handling and the tractable engine

But how on earth did you manage 20+ with spirited driving and 22+ when you stuck to 100 for a significant distance? Did you push the car with the engine turned off? I honestly do not believe you!

Cheers
Ok, I am terrible at cataloguing this but did take one small clip early on in the trip. This was halfway between Coimbatore and Salem, i was clocking a little over 27 when i reached Salem, which is about 165km from the starting point. Ended the trip at 22.1.

Also apologies, i couldn't upload the .mov file from my phone, but saw that .rar attachments are allowed, so using that. Hope this is ok @Mods.

If someone knows a more efficient way of sharing the clip, do let me know.
Attached Files
File Type: rar IMG-1003.rar (17.68 MB, 51 views)
RoadTrippin is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 24th July 2021, 00:08   #3657
BHPian
 
MADMAX111's Avatar
 
Join Date: Apr 2006
Location: New Delhi
Posts: 186
Thanked: 106 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Dear Puntoos

Are you getting the MIB2 Headunit which was fitted in 2016 Highline Jetta? If yes could you please share a picture and cost. I have a 2015 Highline JETTA which came with RCD 520 HU, which doesn’t have AA or CarPlay. I don’t want to go the RCD340 route.
Thanks

Last edited by MADMAX111 : 24th July 2021 at 00:10. Reason: Wrong quote
MADMAX111 is offline  
Old 24th July 2021, 13:49   #3658
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 497 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Ok, I am terrible at cataloguing this but did take one small clip early on in the trip. This was halfway between Coimbatore and Salem, i was clocking a little over 27 when i reached Salem, which is about 165km from the starting point. Ended the trip at 22.1.

Also apologies, i couldn't upload the .mov file from my phone, but saw that .rar attachments are allowed, so using that. Hope this is ok @Mods.

If someone knows a more efficient way of sharing the clip, do let me know.
My 2014 TDI HL on Bangalore-Hassan; Bangalore-Davanagere; Bangalore_hindupur road averages around 22-23kmpl (with average speed of 75-80kms and max 120kmph) and Bangalore-Mysore (non peak hours) gives me 19-20kmpl. Once Bangalore-velur-Bangalore (via nice road) gave 24.6 kmpl. On divided 4-lane NH, it is always 20+ kms. These numbers are tankful to tankful measurement and point-to-point drives.
manjubp is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 18:42   #3659
BHPian
 
puntOOs's Avatar
 
Join Date: Sep 2016
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 75
Thanked: 168 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Dear Puntoos

Are you getting the MIB2 Headunit which was fitted in 2016 Highline Jetta? If yes could you please share a picture and cost. I have a 2015 Highline JETTA which came with RCD 520 HU, which doesnít have AA or CarPlay. I donít want to go the RCD340 route.
Thanks
I got this model from German DNA (Check insta or FB handle). It's a VW system originally built for MQB platform vehicles customized for Jetta. It cost 28k.

MIB II is much more expensive and this person could source it I think.

It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay and I have tested both and they work smoothly.

I also got a reverse camera with dynamic trajectory. It comes from a VW-SAIC supplier I think.

I forgot to take a picture of the backside with model number etc.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_20210724_095847.jpg  

puntOOs is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 25th July 2021, 22:09   #3660
BHPian
 
Join Date: Dec 2006
Location: Bangalore
Posts: 614
Thanked: 497 Times
Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by puntOOs View Post
I got this model from German DNA (Check insta or FB handle). It's a VW system originally built for MQB platform vehicles customized for Jetta. It cost 28k.

MIB II is much more expensive and this person could source it I think.

It has Android Auto and Apple Carplay and I have tested both and they work smoothly.

I also got a reverse camera with dynamic trajectory. It comes from a VW-SAIC supplier I think.

I forgot to take a picture of the backside with model number etc.

Hi,

Thanks for sharing the info, I am also looking for an upgrade, and certainly don't want to go for RCD330 or RCD 340 series from china. The sound quality is simply not upto RCD510.. Couple of questions

1. How do you know it is original VW MIB-II, and not RCD330 or RCD 340 from china?
2. How is the sound quality compare to RCD 510 or OEM system?

Just FYI, these units are made in India and exported to Germany(at the rate of 232+ USD per unit), just check the link

https://www.voleba.com/mobile/india/...data-8527.html

Last edited by manjubp : 25th July 2021 at 22:38.
manjubp is offline  
Reply

Most Viewed
Thread Tools Search this Thread
Search this Thread:

Advanced Search

Copyright ©2000 - 2023, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks