Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 13th April 2022, 15:11   #3721
BHPian

Is installing ambient lighting in Jetta possible?

Hi, fellow (Petrol/Diesel/Volt) Heads,

This is my first post in a forum that I have frequented and learned from a lot. Thanks to the inputs of various members, I recently purchased a pre-owned Jetta. I searched the whole forum and the internet but was not able to find an answer. Hence the query.

Is installing ambient lighting possible in the Jetta? I have driven MQB Octavias and it is a great addition for night driving in my opinion.
Since mine is a PQ platform car, I am not able to get concrete answers. I would want to go the OEM route ( Controlling the lights through MID in the cluster) rather than the aftermarket ones which are controlled through app or rotary knobs.

I found a seller on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003646888488.html

I would want to know if these can be installed.

Thanks in advance.
Old 19th April 2022, 10:45   #3722
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
I recently got a 2015 TDI AT from another bhpian.

Any advice on trustworthy and knowledgeable FNG in Bangalore for Jetta related work? I have the 120K service (water pump + timing kit, regular service) coming up in May/June. Currently fully serviced at VW Rajajinagar. However, i dont like the fact that they don't allow to let you "see" the work happening which raises doubts. Yes, i have trust issues.

Please advice if you have encountered a trusted FNG for VW.
I bit the bullet and got the Jetta TDI serviced from VW Rajajinagar. Timing Kit + DSG oil change + engine oil change + all filters + fuel filter. Total amount was around 57.5K. I did not notice much extras other than the AC disinfectant for 1008 rs, which i did not fuss about. One thing i noticed is that they have charged for 7 litres of DSG oil. All videos i've seen in YT mentions 5 litres, not sure if i am missing something.

Car is running smooth at 1,16,4xx Kms.
hyper-VTEC is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th May 2022, 18:32   #3723
BHPian

2012 Jetta here and I have to replace my tires and might have to replace the wheels as well. It did close to 128000 kms.

Stock size is 205/55/16, debating if I should go for 205/60/16 with minimal deviation. Other decision is to switch the wheels to an after market ones or keep the stock ones for a little longer. I was told that they're not in a good shape.

Any tips or suggestions?
Old 6th May 2022, 13:58   #3724
BHPian

MOD NOTE : Please quote ONLY the relevant bits of a post. Quoting a full, long post inconveniences our mobile readers.

Thanks!

Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Nothing to be surprised about here. Dealers have fat margins on suspension components and clutch is what I have noticed atleast with VW. I have changed the exact same parts on my Jetta and here are the details:

- Link Rods: Spent around 5-6K and this too is the maximum one should pay I feel.

- C mounting: I believe this is the engine bed mount. Again, it shouldn't cost more than 8-10K for a Febi branded mount (Febi is an OE supplier to many companies and has good repute in the Aftermarket)
Thought of giving an update on my Jetta TDI (86K). Got the work done in PPS, Hyd. Replaced with new clutch plates, flywheel, C mounting(gearbox?), lower arm, wheel bearing, miscellaneous items. Costed 1.21 L. The clutch is now as smooth as a hot knife through butter. Dont recollect it ever (even when new) being so smooth. Vibrations also gone down a lot (mounting refitment?). Feels very nice to be driving it. Deciding to keep it as a second car for at least 3-4 years for in and around city runabouts. Thank you for all the inputs. Happy with the car and PPS Hyd. Booked a Harrier XZA for the longer hauls and load work. Peace !

Last edited by Sheel : 11th May 2022 at 08:15. Reason: Mod note attached.
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:06   #3725
BHPian

Quote:
I bit the bullet and got the Jetta TDI serviced from VW Rajajinagar. Timing Kit + DSG oil change + engine oil change + all filters + fuel filter..
How much did timing kit cost??

Jetta RHS Headlight Ballast Changed

A couple of days back I parked the car in market in the evening, all lights working fine. Once I start again the light error warning was glowing in the instrument cluster. Got down and realised that RHS headlight not working. Mt heart sank as it is a Bi Xenon and I was dreading the cost of replacement (rightly so). Also RHS Dipped beam error flashed on MID. ( My car has done 90k)

Next day took the car to VW workshop in Gurgaon. They wanted me to wait for over an hour just for somebody to look at the headlight. Reason was there were too many cars. But one hour just to look at the headlight and error message. Was running out of time so returned without getting the car checked.

Third day called again number of times to ensure that somebody looks at it at the given time. This time a mechanic did look at it at appointed time, but still took 4 hours as they removed the front bumber to check. Changed bulbs from other side and diagnosed that RHS light Ballast was kaput. This was bad news. THe Xenon bulb costs 17707/- where as the ballast cost was 36000/-. Including labour 7000/- the repair cost was going to be 43000/-. Also the ballast was not readily available and will take 3-4 days to arrive from warehouse somewhere.

I then remembered mention of an FNG for German cars namely World of Service Noida on this forum. I googled and called them. Talked to Anupam (I suppose the owner) and sent him the part number. He reverted in 30 mts to inform that part is available and will cost 12000/- + 1000 rs for labour + taxes. This was good news.

Next day reached World of Service in the afternoon and the part was shown to me , part number matched and was changed in a jiffy. I also got the car washed and washed at a total cost of 16000/- including taxes for everything.

I have now decided to frequent this FNG for my future service and maintenance requirements as the car is now 90 k done and VW parts and labour is very expensive. Review of FNG given in Team BHP NCR directory.

Kaput Ballast
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-rhs-ballast.jpg

Last edited by Turbanator : 6th May 2022 at 17:30. Reason: Spelling
MADMAX111 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 6th May 2022, 17:24   #3726
BHPian

Infractions: 0/1 (5)

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
Jetta RHS Headlight Ballast Changed
. Talked to Anupam (I suppose the owner) and sent him the part number. He reverted in 30 mts to inform that part is available and will cost 12000/- + 1000 rs for labour + taxes. This was good news.

Next day reached World of Service in the afternoon and the part was shown to me , part number matched and was changed in a jiffy. I also got the car washed and washed at a total cost of 16000/- including taxes for everything.
Very decent price, as it cost nearly USD125 + Tax in US (Xenon plant), and Euro 80-100 on multiple sites in Europe. I was looking for the same few weeks back. However on checking realised somehow the connector was had come loose. May be like during D2S bulb upgrade ~3.5years back, the harness was not properly connected.
Old 7th May 2022, 01:26   #3727
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
How much did timing kit cost??
Timing Kit 28 + DSG Oil 12 + 18K Regular service
hyper-VTEC is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:23   #3728
BHPian

I did not know where else I could share my frustration and sadness of letting go of my Jetta whom I had kept in pristine condition with only 18K on the odo and new Michelins. I was hoping in a couple of years could hand over the keys to my teenage son as that is the way I got my 1st car as a young adult.

However due to the NCR/Diesel ban, I had to let her go as she was being targeted every time I took her out on the road by the NCR cops saying only a few months were left for me to drive it in NCR.

This has made me question the logic of buying and maintaining a new car. I can go on and on but will stop here !

Thank you my white beauty for all the wonderful times. I regret not being able to use it much due to my frequent travels over the past 5 years.

Pro's

-Built like a tank
- TDI engine with amazing highway fuel economy and manners
- Six Speed Manual
- Very Mod friendly
- Great driving dynamics and excellent brake bite

Here are some farewell pictures
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-1.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-2.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-3.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-jetta-4.jpg  

MadHawk is online now   (7) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 13:56   #3729
BHPian

18k on the odo!! Wow! Sorry to hear, that you have had to let go of this beast!!
ssjr0498 is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 9th May 2022, 19:13   #3730
BHPian

Bangalore folks! With so many horror stories around, where do the experts recommend to get the 30k service done for my Jetta, im currently at 29.8k and have a 4k km trip coming up, so want to get the service done! I would prefer the A.S.S's.
Thank you in advance!
Old 10th May 2022, 13:03   #3731
BHPian

Feeling your pain brother. On the flip side, the one who bought your car must be one lucky chap. I was recently in the market for a second hand car and while there were a few good diesel cars at fairly decent prices were available, I was skeptical about buying a 8-9 year old diesel car with a thought in mind what if other states also implement similar rules like you people in NCR have to live with. I ended up buying a 10 year old Honda City (wife was stuck on a Honda City and with my limited budget, could only manage a 10 year old car) and I am absolutely loving it. Many of my friends who are switching their cars are also opting for petrol just to ensure they do not have to bother about selling of nicely maintained cars with several of us looking to extend ownership for over a decade.
Old 10th May 2022, 14:54   #3732
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
Bangalore folks! With so many horror stories around, where do the experts recommend to get the 30k service done for my Jetta, im currently at 29.8k and have a 4k km trip coming up, so want to get the service done! I would prefer the A.S.S's.
Thank you in advance!
What's your Jetta's vintage? Depending on whether its a major or minor service you can choose ASC or a dependable FNG.

ASC - you can try VW Palace Cross Rajajinagar. They are decent. Whatever you do, don't go to VW Hosur Road. For reference, I stay 3 kms away from VW Hosur Road and 17Kms away from Rajajinagar. I've heard good feedback for VW Mysore, but traveling to mysore would depend how much time you have and how much love you have for your beast!

P.S. I am no expert
Old 10th May 2022, 15:41   #3733
BHPian

2013,TDi manual!! It's done 29.8k and since I'm heading for a 4k km trip by this month end, I need to get the 30k service done!

I stay in Bannerghatta road and I was also thinking about mysore road, as a friends GT Tdi goes there regularly and have heard decent reviews about that place.

Thank you for your recommendation!! Oh.. and I love my beast!

Quote:
What's your Jetta's vintage? Depending on whether its a major or minor service you can choose ASC or a dependable FNG.

ASC - you can try VW Palace Cross Rajajinagar. They are decent. Whatever you do, don't go to VW Hosur Road. For reference, I stay 3 kms away from VW Hosur Road and 17Kms away from Rajajinagar. I've heard good feedback for VW Mysore, but traveling to mysore would depend how much time you have and how much love you have for your beast!

P.S. I am no expert

Last edited by ssjr0498 : 10th May 2022 at 15:42.
Old 10th May 2022, 16:52   #3734
BHPian

The Jetta Comfortline's RCD320 system seems to switch to FM radio the moment the ignition is turned off and on again.

This gets extremely annoying when in traffic where one would want to switch the engine off to save fuel. Reconnecting the bluetooth every time the ignition is turned is too much a task when driving in the city.

Does anyone have a solution?

Pardon me if already asked. I searched but couldn't find it on T-BHP.
Old 11th May 2022, 06:35   #3735
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ssjr0498 View Post
2013,TDi manual!! It's done 29.8k and since I'm heading for a 4k km trip by this month end, I need to get the 30k service done!

I stay in Bannerghatta road and I was also thinking about mysore road, as a friends GT Tdi goes there regularly and have heard decent reviews about that place.

Thank you for your recommendation!! Oh.. and I love my beast!
By VW Mysore, i meant the one at Mysore and not Mysore Road. I have never been to Mysore Road, so can't comment. Let us know your experience if you choose to go there.

BTW, 2013 and only 30K? This beast needs to be driven more.

Absolutely, everybody loves their cars in this forum

Last edited by hyper-VTEC : 11th May 2022 at 06:37.

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks