Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 11th May 2022, 08:30   #3736
BHPian

Re: Is installing ambient lighting in Jetta possible?

Quote:
Originally Posted by blogslogger View Post
Is installing ambient lighting possible in the Jetta? I have driven MQB Octavias and it is a great addition for night driving in my opinion.
Since mine is a PQ platform car, I am not able to get concrete answers. I would want to go the OEM route ( Controlling the lights through MID in the cluster) rather than the aftermarket ones which are controlled through app or rotary knobs.

I found a seller on aliexpress
https://www.aliexpress.com/item/1005003646888488.html
I don't know about ambient lighting but i have the footwell lights installed in my 2014 Jetta that are controlled through the mid in the cluster. I got a kit similar to this when AliExpress was shipping to India pre covid.

https://aliexpress.com/item/32858214528.html
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 11th May 2022, 09:18   #3737
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Aah!!! Can't drive to Mysore for just a service! I will proceed to get it done and the VW Mysore road on the 13th and will share the feedback once done!!

Yes, it had done only 21k till about 2 months ago!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
By VW Mysore, i meant the one at Mysore and not Mysore Road. I have never been to Mysore Road, so can't comment. Let us know your experience if you choose to go there.

BTW, 2013 and only 30K? This beast needs to be driven more.

Absolutely, everybody loves their cars in this forum
Old 14th May 2022, 17:34   #3738

Hi guys!

I wholeheartedly relate to this thread, especially with the last few posts, particularly in regard to the "vintage" aspect of an asset like Jetta.

I'll focus on the issue in hand straightaway. The car is fitted with RCD 330G and I had ordered a rear camera from a seller based out of Delhi.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220502-12.49.31-pm.jpeg

I was glad to know that the camera fitment wouldn't require drilling any hole of sorts and would simply bolt up on the rear license plate housing.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220423-10.49.39-am.jpeg

It was supposed to be a straightforward fit. I sought help from a guy working at VW Bhopal who came to my place and wired the camera from the license plate housing to the HU. Post plugging the VCDS cable, I went to Module 56 (Radio) and got the "No response from Controller" error.

The seller (Eurocar retrofits) suggested that I'll have to connect the can wires to the BCM connection so as to gain recognition of Module 56 by the VCDS. The lack of proper pins/connectors proved to be the eventual bummer and we had to call it a day.

Luckily the seller shipped me the wires with correct pins (sourced from a scrapyard in Mayapuri) couple of days later.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220510-5.09.28-pm.jpeg

The next task was to access the BCM and subsequently figure out the corresponding pins which took a good bit of effort and patience. The VW guy himself had no prior experience in this regard.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220514-3.51.33-pm.jpeg

As per the instructions from the seller, we focused on the 52 pin Connector C
and made the following connections: (entailed splicing of wires)

Pin 15: Orange-green wire
Pin 16: Orange brown
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220508-10.44.49-pm.jpeg

The pin diagram which we referred to: (not for the Highline variant)
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220508-10.30.30-pm.jpeg

Conclusively, I'm getting the following errors on VCDS and I've seemingly hit a roadblock as of now.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220511-11.29.41-pm.jpeg

Can someone please help me in tackling this issue? I'm based out of Bhopal currently and don't have access to good garages with people having a good deal of experience with VAG cars.

Would deeply appreciate any sort of help in comprehending the attached scan log and in figuring out the way forward.

Godspeed!
Attached Files
File Type: txt Log-MP15CA1717-WVWJ12161DA550016-43850km-27247mi.txt (21.0 KB, 264 views)
tweakpun is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 15th May 2022, 20:41   #3739
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by tweakpun View Post
Hi guys!

Conclusively, I'm getting the following errors on VCDS and I've seemingly hit a roadblock as of now.
It seems one of your BCM connectors is loose or not seated properly. I had the same kind of issue with my car when I installed the multi-function steering wheel.
nithishsaba is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 13:41   #3740
BHPian

Since the Jetta in India was never natively sold with an RCD330, would you know which radio your car came with before? If possible, please share a few pictures of your radio and the stock radio connectors on your car. This would be helpful to identify if all connections and pins are correct with respect to your car's present wiring. Some sellers have been illegally labelling Chinese RCD360 Radios and selling them as RCD330s and RCD340s which have a different Quadlock compared to RCD330.

On the other hand, not all Jetta owners have been able to get the RCD330 to communicate with the car despite having the appropriate Quadlock and CAN Convenience wiring built onto the vehicle. I feel this has got to do with the version or the firmware of the CAN Gateway. BHPian Vishy76 also faced a similar issue on his RCD330 although his car had a Quadlock right from the factory.

As for the rest of the errors on the autoscan, it could very well be a loose connection on the BCM Connector as BHPian NithishSaba suggested, so please make sure the BCM connectors are properly seated and locked in place, with the help of the locking tabs. The connector might seem to be fully seated, and all pins should be locked into the connector, but there is always a chance of some loose contact even then.

If the rest of the errors go away due to a loose connection and the Radio communication error persists, then it'd perhaps be faster to connect the RCD330 in a compatible Polo Vento and change the coding to accept a Reverse Camera and then transfer the radio back to the car. Hope your issue is resolved soon.
fluidicjoy is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 21:56   #3741
BHPian

Quote:
Hi guys!

Would deeply appreciate any sort of help in comprehending the attached scan log and in figuring out the way forward.

Godspeed!
Going through your log, it appears as though some of the errors have been there from a while, clear all faults, take a short drive and take a scan and post again, as right now it appears as though you have other issues in address 9 which might be the reason for your radio being unable to communicate.
sarfraz1997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 16th May 2022, 23:18   #3742
BHPian

Hi! RCD 330 headunits simply require the input from the blue connector. The power to the camera can be given using the reverse light bulb itself. The BCM is nowhere involved in the entire process. Don't know why is the seller interested in giving a Canbus signal to the camera. Moreover, if there are dynamic guidelines for the camera, you need to tap Canbus powertrain lines and not the canbus infotainment. Revert everything on VCDS as before, just browse through the long coding of the RCD 330 and activate the reverse camera. Nothing else. It is just the original cameras from VW which require the canbus signals while the aftermarket ones require an analogue 12V signal.
vgaquarius is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th May 2022, 11:01   #3743

Quote:
Originally Posted by fluidicjoy View Post
Since the Jetta in India was never natively sold with an RCD330, would you know which radio your car came with before? If possible, please share a few pictures of your radio and the stock radio connectors on your car. This would be helpful to identify if all connections and pins are correct with respect to your car's present wiring. Some sellers have been illegally labelling Chinese RCD360 Radios and selling them as RCD330s and RCD340s which have a different Quadlock compared to RCD330.

On the other hand, not all Jetta owners have been able to get the RCD330 to communicate with the car despite having the appropriate Quadlock and CAN Convenience wiring built onto the vehicle. I feel this has got to do with the version or the firmware of the CAN Gateway. BHPian Vishy76 also faced a similar issue on his RCD330 although his car had a Quadlock right from the factory.

As for the rest of the errors on the autoscan, it could very well be a loose connection on the BCM Connector as BHPian NithishSaba suggested, so please make sure the BCM connectors are properly seated and locked in place, with the help of the locking tabs. The connector might seem to be fully seated, and all pins should be locked into the connector, but there is always a chance of some loose contact even then.

If the rest of the errors go away due to a loose connection and the Radio communication error persists, then it'd perhaps be faster to connect the RCD330 in a compatible Polo Vento and change the coding to accept a Reverse Camera and then transfer the radio back to the car. Hope your issue is resolved soon.
Thank you very much for your post. My car originally came up with RCD 300+ (Desay). I had upgraded to RCD 510 soon after, albeit for a short time.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-rcd300.jpeg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-stock-pins.jpeg

I went through some of the earlier posts in this regard and I still lack clarity.

Firstly, it's been well documented in our forum that there could be a probable wiring difference between Comfortline and Highline variants too, resulting in lack of communication over the CANBUS. In such a scenario, would solely connecting the HU to a highline Jetta or any other compatible car, and subsequently doing the coding, enable the recognition of rear camera by the HU? The Quadlock connector and CAN wiring do seem to be there in place from the factory in my car as well.

I'm in a quandary about whether I should be shipping my HU to a fellow BHPian based out of Bangalore and seek his help with the coding aspect.

On the other hand, if it's a CAN gateway issue, how do I go about upgrading it? Would it entail any hardware installation?

As suggested by everyone, I'll definitely try and see to the BCM connector for loose or erroneous pin connections so as to ward off any probable damages to the BCM itself, among other things.

Deeply appreciate your help, mates!
Old 17th May 2022, 11:58   #3744
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by vgaquarius View Post
Hi! RCD 330 headunits simply require the input from the blue connector. The power to the camera can be given using the reverse light bulb itself. The BCM is nowhere involved in the entire process. Don't know why is the seller interested in giving a Canbus signal to the camera. Moreover, if there are dynamic guidelines for the camera, you need to tap Canbus powertrain lines and not the canbus infotainment. Revert everything on VCDS as before, just browse through the long coding of the RCD 330 and activate the reverse camera. Nothing else. It is just the original cameras from VW which require the canbus signals while the aftermarket ones require an analogue 12V signal.
Yes you're correct. For a normal video signal input, there is no CAN connection for the camera. However, any OEM radio like RCD330 connected to the car should be CAN connected so it can be coded, tweaked and picked up by diagnostics. The seller perhaps assumed the Quadlock Connnector had no CAN-Convenience wiring inside it. However, a VW car with a Quadlock does have CAN wires in it.

From the scans, I could see that the issue at hand is that the Radio RCD330 is not being read, and hence the seller perhaps tried suggesting connecting CAN wires. Without being detected, it would not be possible to code the 'Reverse Camera Enabled' byte.

Quote:
Thank you very much for your post. My car originally came up with RCD 300+ (Desay). I had upgraded to RCD 510 soon after, albeit for a short time.

Attachment 2308772

Attachment 2308792

I went through some of the earlier posts in this regard and I still lack clarity.

Firstly, it's been well documented in our forum that there could be a probable wiring difference between Comfortline and Highline variants too, resulting in lack of communication over the CANBUS. In such a scenario, would solely connecting the HU to a highline Jetta or any other compatible car, and subsequently doing the coding, enable the recognition of rear camera by the HU? The Quadlock connector and CAN wiring do seem to be there in place from the factory in my car as well.

I'm in a quandary about whether I should be shipping my HU to a fellow BHPian based out of Bangalore and seek his help with the coding aspect.

On the other hand, if it's a CAN gateway issue, how do I go about upgrading it? Would it entail any hardware installation?

As suggested by everyone, I'll definitely try and see to the BCM connector for loose or erroneous pin connections so as to ward off any probable damages to the BCM itself, among other things.

Deeply appreciate your help, mates!
I feel you can quickly try connecting with someone who has a recent year Polo Vento to swap your RCD330 head-unit and have it coded for the Reverse Camera byte. If that works and the Reverse Camera starts working, then you don't need to bother about the Radio not being picked up by your CAN Gateway, provided you aren't experiencing symptoms like Radio not powering off.

If you had to try a new gateway, I believe installing a latest high version of the gateway should be a straight swap, but will require transfer of the coding and gateway installations from the original gateway.
fluidicjoy is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 08:40   #3745
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyper-VTEC View Post
One thing i noticed is that they have charged for 7 litres of DSG oil. All videos i've seen in YT mentions 5 litres, not sure if i am missing something.
Got the DSG oil replaced just yesterday from VW Rajajinagar. I was charged for 6L. Attaching the invoice copy. It's funny how each of us are being charged differently.

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-scan_20220601-2_page0001.jpg
duker2997 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st June 2022, 09:39   #3746
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Immix View Post
[*]Hard wired a Dashcam meant for Jetta and Passat with RLS (Link)
Hi, I came across this dashcam which offers a very OEM look. Just wanted your review on the video clarity and how has your dashcam aged in 4 years? And would you recommend it?

Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 13:33   #3747
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by duker2997 View Post
Hi, I came across this dashcam which offers a very OEM look. Just wanted your review on the video clarity and how has your dashcam aged in 4 years? And would you recommend it?

Thanks
Hi, Frankly speaking I have only used the dashcam a couple of times that too within the next few months of getting it installed. I still see the led lights of the cam working and therefore I am assuming it still works.

Video quality is just ok. Nothing too great to write home about. But I wouldnt get any other dashcam that doesn't look like it belongs there and has wires visibly hanging all over the place.
Immix is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th June 2022, 22:34   #3748
BHPian

I am using this since last 3.5 years , camera quality is ok, however the suggested App is a big limitation when it comes to user friendliness. Also time stamp issues are there which makes it real difficult to search the required clip when there is a need.
ranjithrnair is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th June 2022, 08:14   #3749
BHPian

Completed 7.5 years and almost 70,000 kms with my jetta. One of the best and reliable cars I have had (touchwood). Only had to change the water pump around 50 K. No rattles and average of 12-14 kmpl in the city.
Great car to drive in highways (without the annoyance of the beeps).. Rough ride quality in the city (especially the poor bangalore roads) but I have learnt to live with it.
I never thought I would consider another VW but the tiguan is on the shortlist for my wife (I wish they had diesel).
Service has been satisfactory so far without any major issues. I have tried 2 service centers in bangalore and one in coimbatore. One of the the front parking sensors stopped working last year and the service center managed to put it back without asking me to replace it..
Looking at the cost of cars and SUVs now, jetta is so much value for money..
etrast75 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 20:04   #3750
BHPian

Hi fellow Jetta owners,

I got an issue in the coolant in my Jetta. On a random inspection I found the coolant to have become frothy/ foamy. I showed it to VW and they said the gear oil and coolant are mixing in the gear oil cooler!! They advised to replace the gear oil, coolant flush and the gear oil cooler cover which is estimated to cost approx 40k.

I checked with my trusted FNG and he has said the gear oil does not need replacing in this case as the gear oil has mixed with the coolant and not the other way round.

Can any of you suggest what is the right way. Attaching the photo of the coolant condition.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220616-7.36.03-pm-1.jpeg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-whatsapp-image-20220616-7.36.03-pm.jpeg  

SN88 is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks