Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 17th June 2022, 21:13   #3751
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by SN88 View Post
Hi fellow Jetta owners,

I got an issue in the coolant in my Jetta. On a random inspection I found the coolant to have become frothy/ foamy. I showed it to VW and they said the gear oil and coolant are mixing in the gear oil cooler!! They advised to replace the gear oil, coolant flush and the gear oil cooler cover which is estimated to cost approx 40k.

I checked with my trusted FNG and he has said the gear oil does not need replacing in this case as the gear oil has mixed with the coolant and not the other way round.

Can any of you suggest what is the right way. Attaching the photo of the coolant condition.
Your FNGs hypothesis isn't completely flawed, but would you really want to risk the GB for it? The oil serves as the hydraulic fluid for the mechatronics and lubricates and cools the clutch packs. Any sort of anomaly in the oil can cause a failure of the mechatronics and set you back big bucks.

Changing the oil and filter at an FNG is not more than 10-12K. My advice is to just change the oil while you are doing the oil cooler and coolant too. It's a very small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.
vishy76 is offline   (8) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 21:23   #3752
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
I checked with my trusted FNG and he has said the gear oil does not need replacing in this case as the gear oil has mixed with the coolant and not the other way round.
+1 to Vishy76

If the gear oil mixed into the coolant, the coolant could have mixed with the gear oil. Only if you can inspect the gear oil, you can be sure that the coolant has not mixed with the gear oil. I guess this has not been done. So it is better to replace both the coolant and gear box oil and replace the seals that have caused this.
graaja is offline   (5) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 22:05   #3753
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
+1 to Vishy76

If the gear oil mixed into the coolant, the coolant could have mixed with the gear oil. Only if you can inspect the gear oil, you can be sure that the coolant has not mixed with the gear oil. I guess this has not been done. So it is better to replace both the coolant and gear box oil and replace the seals that have caused this.
Quote:
Originally Posted by vishy76 View Post
Your FNGs hypothesis isn't completely flawed, but would you really want to risk the GB for it? The oil serves as the hydraulic fluid for the mechatronics and lubricates and cools the clutch packs. Any sort of anomaly in the oil can cause a failure of the mechatronics and set you back big bucks.

Changing the oil and filter at an FNG is not more than 10-12K. My advice is to just change the oil while you are doing the oil cooler and coolant too. It's a very small price to pay for peace of mind IMO.
Thank you for your replies and I agree it would be better to do it just for peace of mind. Infact the FNG person who is known to me is a very honest guy and instead of fleecing he told me that the DSG oil is in good condition(changed 25k kms before) and not to keep changing it prematurely as in lame man terms " the gear and the oil know each other".
I wanted to double check as I found it strange that a refrigerant meant to cool the engine also flows to the gear box!!
SN88 is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 17th June 2022, 22:13   #3754
Team-BHP Support

Quote:

Can any of you suggest what is the right way. Attaching the photo of the coolant condition.
This was common with the mid90s Mercs since the intercooler and transmission cooler were colocated and corrosion sets in allowing fluids to disperse into other channels
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 20th June 2022, 05:30   #3755
BHPian

Quote:
Hi fellow Jetta owners,

I got an issue in the coolant in my Jetta. On a random inspection I found the coolant to have become frothy/ foamy. I showed it to VW and they said the gear oil and coolant are mixing in the gear oil cooler!! They advised to replace the gear oil, coolant flush and the gear oil cooler cover which is estimated to cost approx 40k.
This happened at what mileage/ age of car ??
Old 23rd June 2022, 02:44   #3756
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MADMAX111 View Post
This happened at what mileage/ age of car ??
2014 model, Kms done exactly 100k.
Old 27th June 2022, 12:33   #3757
BHPian

Hi fellow Jetta owners. I've recently bought an out-of-state pre-owned VW Jetta Highline and I'm in the process of re-registering the car in Bangalore and have hit a roadblock. For the pro-rata road tax calculation, the invoice of the vehicle is needed and I'm unable to get hold of it at the moment and have been following up with the dealer.

In the meantime, if any of the Highline owners up north (UP,HR,UK,JK,WB,OD) could share a copy of the invoice it'll be helpful in getting the tax calculation and payment sorted.

Regards.
Old 4th July 2022, 19:30   #3758

Quote:
Thought of giving an update on my Jetta TDI (86K). Got the work done in PPS, Hyd. Replaced with new clutch plates, flywheel, C mounting(gearbox?), lower arm, wheel bearing, miscellaneous items. Costed 1.21 L.
For reference - Flywheel/clutch/pressure plate etc assembly costed me INR 78K in 2019 Sep in Bangalore(VW Whitefield ASC). The model & year are TDI 2.0 Comfortline, 2014
Old 15th July 2022, 00:30   #3759
BHPian

Folks, need inputs on this.
Today afternoon when I cranked the car, my AC was not throwing any air. Everything on the instrument cluster and the AC switches was normal except that no air coming out. Tried switching off the engine, changing from auto to manual AC, etc. Nothing is working. Don't know if these are related, but co-driver side window one touch up is also not working from today. One touch down is working fine.
Wondering if it is some AC sensor issue, fuse issue or a rat bite or something completely different.
Model - Highline AT 2014

Last edited by RoadSurfer : 15th July 2022 at 00:31. Reason: spell check
Old 17th July 2022, 07:02   #3760
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
Folks, need inputs on this.
Today afternoon when I cranked the car, my AC was not throwing any air. Everything on the instrument cluster and the AC switches was normal except that no air coming out. Tried switching off the engine, changing from auto to manual AC, etc. Nothing is working. Don't know if these are related, but co-driver side window one touch up is also not working from today. One touch down is working fine.
Wondering if it is some AC sensor issue, fuse issue or a rat bite or something completely different.
Model - Highline AT 2014
Please remove ac blower and check. I had major issue with rats entering the blower. Also over a period of time, blower gets stuck. It is easy.to remove.
Old 17th July 2022, 07:49   #3761
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RajaTaurus View Post
Please remove ac blower and check. I had major issue with rats entering the blower. Also over a period of time, blower gets stuck. It is easy.to remove.
You are bang on the right part. Took the car to a FNG. Technician did some pre checks and then removed the AC Blower. Seems some internal loose connections inside it. As per him this will work for sometime and may stop again without any warning. New one is above 8k. He fitted back the current one and charged only Rs 100. Anyone in Bangalore who can fix a blower?
RoadSurfer is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th July 2022, 09:55   #3762

Sharing the 8th year 120Km maintenance service @ PPS Motors VW ASC at Hyderabad. The car was bought in 2014 in Bangalore by the first owner, I bought it from him in 2018 when it did ~38K. The 8th year /120K paid service package is about ~INR 25K, additional requested jobs ~INR 11K, GFF and Consumables ~INR 1.5K : Total: INR 37K. The ASC rep recommended changing water pump(as additional requested job). However I expected- Air filter, od.filter, brakefluid, cleaner to be part of 'normal' maintenance schedule, why did they keep those out of 120k/8th year recommended service package, I do not know.
Attached Files
File Type: pdf Jetta 2022 8th year service.pdf (67.9 KB, 255 views)
Old 22nd July 2022, 15:39   #3763
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Narasimhan_P View Post
Sharing the 8th year 120Km maintenance service @ PPS Motors VW ASC at Hyderabad.
Hi Narasimhan,
Maintaining Jetta at the ASC is too expensive unless it is still in warranty. If you live in or around Khajaguda, there are a couple of Workshops I recommend.
Man and Machine in Madhapur for big stuff like Engine and DSG works.
AR German motors in Khajaguda for normal repairs.
Both are excellent and quite value for money.
blogslogger is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 1st August 2022, 09:51   #3764

Quote:
Originally Posted by varoon9999 View Post
Price quoted from a friends spare part shop here in Gurgaon.
Hi can you please share the shops contact number and details. It'll be really helpful to all of us trying to source original parts!

Thanks in advance
Old 1st August 2022, 10:29   #3765
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 99octane View Post
Hi can you please share the shops contact number and details. It'll be really helpful to all of us trying to source original parts!

Thanks in advance
Gurgaon- Samrat Motors - Babli 97 one six four one seven five 17.
Delhi- Kashmeere Gate- Sai Motors- Gaurav 99 116 five five nine nine 8
varoon9999 is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks