Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 18th September 2022, 09:18   #3766
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Dear BHPians,

After lots of research and thought process, have decided to retain the Volkswagen Jetta Diesel.

I was looking for upgrade, but every car I saw and drove had one or two major cons. None of them really felt as an upgrade to the Jetta.

Car is mechanically sound, everything is still in stock condition. Only brake pads have been changed. Disc Brakes still have life in them and the battery is going strong even after 6 years. Tires are as good as new, suspensions too are as good as new.

Car is due for Oil Change and Major Service, which I'll be getting it done soon.

Apart from regular servicing, i am looking at some upgrades,

1. Variant is Comfortline, it comes with RCD300+ and i want to change to RCD330+. May I know if the swap is possible ?
2. Early models came with manual AC, have seen some videos where many owners have swapped Climate Control Panels. Is it possible? And where can I source the part from ?
3. Headliner Replacement - This seems to be common issue. Should I try at VW ASS or FNG ?
4. Parking Sensors are not working, can do without it, but will ASS solve it ?
5. Bi Xenon Headlights are available on Boodmo, they're quite expensive 1.3 lakhs/pair. Are they a good upgrade or should I retain existing lights and just change bulbs to like Philips Ultinon LED ?

Suggestions are welcome.
CarguyNish is online now   (2) Thanks
Old 18th September 2022, 09:54   #3767
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
5. Bi Xenon Headlights are available on Boodmo, they're quite expensive 1.3 lakhs/pair. Are they a good upgrade or should I retain existing lights and just change bulbs to like Philips Ultinon LED ?
1.3 lakhs is expensive. A good quality conversion kit (halogen to bi-xenon projectors) should cost only 45 to 50k.
Old 18th September 2022, 12:00   #3768
BHPian

Please see my responses inline below. Dont feel like selling the Jetta anytime soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by CarguyNish View Post
Dear BHPians,

After lots of research and thought process, have decided to retain the Volkswagen Jetta Diesel.
>> Good decision. I went thru the same thought process and came to the conclusion that there is no suitable replacement at this time. 2013 Trendline 88K.

I was looking for upgrade, but every car I saw and drove had one or two major cons. None of them really felt as an upgrade to the Jetta.
>> I did buy the Harrier Automatic for comfort but Jetta is still a lot of fun !

Car is mechanically sound, everything is still in stock condition. Only brake pads have been changed. Disc Brakes still have life in them and the battery is going strong even after 6 years. Tires are as good as new, suspensions too are as good as new.

Car is due for Oil Change and Major Service, which I'll be getting it done soon.

Apart from regular servicing, i am looking at some upgrades,

1. Variant is Comfortline, it comes with RCD300+ and i want to change to RCD330+. May I know if the swap is possible ?
>> I replaced my HU with a Sony Android Auto HU and it works well enough for me.

2. Early models came with manual AC, have seen some videos where many owners have swapped Climate Control Panels. Is it possible? And where can I source the part from ?
3. Headliner Replacement - This seems to be common issue. Should I try at VW ASS or FNG ?
>> I went with FNG and am quite happy with it. Service centre folks didnt seem keen to work and quoted a large amount. I got it done for ~6K in Hyd.

4. Parking Sensors are not working, can do without it, but will ASS solve it ?
>> My stock bulb and headlight are unchanged and I feel they are good. But probably individual specific based on needs.

Suggestions are welcome.
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 23rd September 2022, 08:32   #3769

Dear Rudra Sen I have come across this very technical and emotional article on a jetta 2015 model which has done 247000 miles . I thought it will bring you great pleasure reading it . The owner has replaced its original engine which was blown away due to poor maintenance as they dint replace the timing belt on time . Otherwise it's an excellent car and the owner himself couldn't believe how a brand was able sell such sophisticated and well engineered car for so low price . The jetta belonged to the diesiel gate era .

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
2.0 TDI Diesel
https://https://www.thedrive.com/gui...uv06Z0nf9vHHHA

The Jetta now gets 30 more horses than the outgoing generation. This 4 cylinder 2 liter common-rail diesel engine is rated at 138 BHP (4,200 rpm) and 320 Nm of torque (1,750 – 2,500 rpm). The same engine also does duty in a host of VW group cars, including the Laura, Yeti, Superb, Passat, Audi A4, A6 and Q5 (in varying states of tune of course).

Torque delivery is almost instantaneous, and the DSG downshift response time is good at lower speeds (high speed kick down time is strictly average). Anybody who's driven a Skoda Laura DSG will feel right at home. Urban drivability is really good, even with the 6 speed manual, with the diesel engine churning out torque from low rpms itself. Sure, there is some turbo lag, yet it’s too negligible to talk about. Not only is the drivability good, but even in the mid-range, the chosen gear ratios are spot on. For instance, driving through the inside roads of Rajasthan with speeds varying between 30 kph – 100 kph continuously, we were using the 3rd gear like an Automatic.

Last edited by ajmat : 23rd September 2022 at 08:51. Reason: Reducing quoted test for better readability
drstrange is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 22:01   #3770
BHPian

Cross posting here since I didn't get any reply in the preworshipped Jetta thread

Need some inputs here.
I was in the lookout for a well maintained Jetta, preferably from Delhi since the rate are cheap and even with the transfer expenses to Hydrabad, its cheaper than locally available ones.

Came across on on OLX, 2014 2.0 TDI Comfortline single user Manual Jetta. Asking price is 5.5L and as per the conversation, the timing, AC compressor are new along with roof liner. 70% tyre life left.

Is the price reasonable ? Also can this be used as an only car with <5000 km per year running mostly inside and nearby areas of Hydrabad ? The car will not be daily user in traffic, also will it be reliable to take it for long rides like Hydrabad - Bangalore - Kochi ?
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 29th September 2022, 22:32   #3771
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post

Came across on on OLX, 2014 2.0 TDI Comfortline single user Manual Jetta. Asking price is 5.5L and as per the conversation, the timing, AC compressor are new along with roof liner. 70% tyre life left.

Is the price reasonable ? Also can this be used as an only car with <5000 km per year running mostly inside and nearby areas of Hydrabad ? The car will not be daily user in traffic, also will it be reliable to take it for long rides like Hydrabad - Bangalore - Kochi ?
You didn't mentioned the ODO reading. so can't comment on the price, if it is anywhere ~70k then pricing is fine. (JFYI, I come from Bangalore, a Mumbai-kar/Delhi-ite might have different view on the pricing)
Since you mentioned the timing belt/water pump and AC compressor job has been done recently, you are good for another 40-50k.
Look for service history and ensure routine service done on time.
Since its manual, you dont need to worry about the DSG oil change etc..
The motor is fairly reliable and this generation of cars are fairly simple and well built.
The only gripe is the clutch travel in VW/Skoda is pretty long and pedal sits too high.

If you plan to drive occasionally and plan to use it on highways no issues here.

These are meant for mile munching, so don't worry about long distance cruising. Not only that it just sips and wont gulp fuel.
DRIVE_ADDICT is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:13   #3772
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DRIVE_ADDICT View Post
You didn't mentioned the ODO reading. so can't comment on the price, if it is anywhere ~70k then pricing is fine.
Thanks for the reply. The odo reading of this particular car is ~80K
Asish_VK is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:28   #3773
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Asish_VK View Post
Thanks for the reply. The odo reading of this particular car is ~80K
Dear friend, I am not a car dealer, but if you are getting Jetta 2014 model for 5.50 lakhs with Delhi number I think it is a bit expensive, please ask them to reduce the price because in Delhi you will get a very well maintained and new looking jetta in 4 lakhs budget.
amrit_bareta is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 30th September 2022, 09:57   #3774
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by amrit_bareta View Post
Dear friend, I am not a car dealer, but if you are getting Jetta 2014 model for 5.50 lakhs with Delhi number I think it is a bit expensive, please ask them to reduce the price because in Delhi you will get a very well maintained and new looking jetta in 4 lakhs budget.
Yes, agree with Amrit, for a DL plate 5.5 lacs is expensive, I guess if you search you should be able to find one at a proper price.

KK
KK_HakunaMatata is online now   (3) Thanks
Old 17th October 2022, 23:01   #3775
BHPian

My LHS Headlamp is not working. It is a bi-xenon setup. Local FNG is suggesting to change the whole light sighting there is small crack which led to water entry and hence short circuit. We did try a new Philips D3S bulb but it didn't work. Current is fine till the Headlight connector. I am in a dilemma if I should try and source a LHS assembly (any pointers on where to look for them will be helpful), or go for a new setup (both sides). The most pocket friendly option is to repair the current one but I am not able to find a competitive person for the same. Please suggest if there is one in Bangalore.
Old 28th October 2022, 14:48   #3776

For my 2015 DSG (HL) Jetta with 40K on odo.

Can someone please recommend a good FNG in Bangalore to get a DSG oil change done. Preferably east/North east side of Bangalore.

The VW dealership had suggested DSG oil change in last service but since they did not have the oil in stock they did not do the replacement. During this years service i brought up the need to change DSG oil and the Service Advisor (same as last year) said that DSG oil change is not needed. I suspect this is probably again due to the oil not being in stock. Anyway else got the same communication from VW dealership?

I feel that DSG has a slight jerk when i move the lever from D->N (Could just be in my mind) and would like to get the oil replaced given the car is 7 years old now.

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
My LHS Headlamp is not working. It is a bi-xenon setup. Local FNG is suggesting to change the whole light sighting there is small crack which led to water entry and hence short circuit. We did try a new Philips D3S bulb but it didn't work. Current is fine till the Headlight connector. I am in a dilemma if I should try and source a LHS assembly (any pointers on where to look for them will be helpful), or go for a new setup (both sides). The most pocket friendly option is to repair the current one but I am not able to find a competitive person for the same. Please suggest if there is one in Bangalore.
I had the same problem - a crack had developed on the inside plastic covering of the RHS headlamp. VW service recommend we change the assembly which i did. I think it costed around 50-60K. VW dealer/ASS should be able to source a single side for you. Just checked in Boodmo and the assembly is available for 67K INR.

I have already had my LHS replaced before (under warranty within first month of ownership) since i used to get "AFS error - no bend light" message intermittently. After replacement it was fine for 4-5 years and now i get the same message once in a while - which i have learnt to ignore.

Last edited by ajmat : 28th October 2022 at 16:33.
PULAPIPL is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 30th October 2022, 00:18   #3777
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadSurfer View Post
My LHS Headlamp is not working. Please suggest if there is one in Bangalore.
Yesterday, I was in Shivajinagar Spare parts market for good 4 hours. This was after calling Engineering exponent, Automotive lighting experts, Motofocusz (Chennai) and DJ's Automotive (Delhi). Expert opinion was to change the headlamp assembly to new OEM one or go for after market. I didn't wanted to spend @67k for the new OEM assembly and was not much sure about performance of after market ones. Hence decided to try my luck at Shivajinagar market. Only 2 people in the whole market looked reliable and experienced in Jetta headlights. Others simply said they either don't have the projector headlamps or looked fishy. I got one from a person named Firdoz (contact available with me if required). He has good knowledge of his trade and also came along with me to my home with the headlight so as to make sure everything was fine. I was more than happy with his commitment and would recommend him for any headlight replacement for any car. The replaced headlight is working fine, couldn't have been happier
RoadSurfer is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 28th November 2022, 20:22   #3778
BHPian

Hi All,

Need some advice in Hyderabad. My manual Jetta (90K) was driven by my wife and in heavy traffic, there was smoke from the engine bay yesterday. I asked her to park nearby and take a cab home. This happened yesterday near Tank Bund. I asked towing guys and they are quoting ~ Rs. 5000 for 13 km to service center. Should I tow / take a FNG mechanic for analysis / book service in goMechanic app ? Any reasonably priced towing services ?

My wife says smell was quite strong. Any suggestions if it could be anything major ?

TIA, Dinesh
Old 29th November 2022, 15:34   #3779
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
Need some advice in Hyderabad. My manual Jetta (90K) was driven by my wife and in heavy traffic, there was smoke from the engine bay yesterday.
Turned out to be some burn on the clutch due to heavy traffic that caused the smoke. I had got it towed at night and all good ! Might be good to know for others too.

Last edited by libranof1987 : 29th November 2022 at 15:38. Reason: Trimming quoted post
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st December 2022, 10:21   #3780
BHPian

Guys my alloy wheels are bent. From where can I source the OEM Sedona wheels in a price which doesn't burn my wallet?

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks