Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 7th May 2012, 12:49   #436
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Got my Platinum Grey Jetta CL Manual home yesterday - and clocked 100kms day 1...! :-)

My initial opinions:

- Ppl who dismiss the car for its resemblance to Polo, Vento are completely wrong. See the car in person. It looks bloody beautiful, even the front is way way superior to the Vento
- Love the space, ample leg room for rear passengers, huge boot
- Planted on the road, nimble to drive, slick gear shifts, refined power delivery
- Returned a mileage of 14 with A/C on in Delhi city driving first day
- Amazing noise insulation, even my FILs' 1.2 Polo sounds louder that this 2.0 TDI
- Effective A/C in 40 deg Delhi heat. ACC might have been better, but surely not a deal breaker feature
- Fantastic output from the stock music system - please note, it does NOT come with USB/iPod connectivity, but has AUX in and SD card input. Again, SD card is sub-optimum but still a good substitute
- Seat adjustments are great, would have preferred lumbar support though
- The park assists are okay, not sure if they are really useful. Would have preferred the video units instead
- Love the lights and their effects. I am sure Xenon's/LEDs would be still better, but not missing them right now

To some, it might be a steeply priced car. To me, it delivers for what i paid. The car oozes quality.

Things VW should correct:
- Bring Auto in all the trims - to me the Manual has been a compromise cuz i could not afford the HL Auto
- Correct the faulty manuals/brochures/featurelists - There are way too many errors/ommissions in the docs.

Loving the drive... Irwin
ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th May 2012, 13:37   #437
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand View Post
Got my Platinum Grey Jetta CL Manual home yesterday - and clocked 100kms day 1...! :-)

My initial opinions:

- Ppl who dismiss the car for its resemblance to Polo, Vento are completely wrong. See the car in person. It looks bloody beautiful, even the front is way way superior to the Vento
- Planted on the road, nimble to drive, slick gear shifts, refined power delivery
- Amazing noise insulation, even my FILs' 1.2 Polo sounds louder that this 2.0 TDI
- Effective A/C in 40 deg Delhi heat. ACC might have been better, but surely not a deal breaker feature
- Fantastic output from the stock music system - please note, it does NOT come with USB/iPod connectivity, but has AUX in and SD card input. Again, SD card is sub-optimum but still a good substitute
- The park assists are okay, not sure if they are really useful. Would have preferred the video units instead
- Love the lights and their effects. I am sure Xenon's/LEDs would be still better, but not missing them right now

To some, it might be a steeply priced car. To me, it delivers for what i paid. The car oozes quality.

- Bring Auto in all the trims - to me the Manual has been a compromise cuz i could not afford the HL Auto
- Correct the faulty manuals/brochures/featurelists - There are way too many errors/ommissions in the docs.

Congrats Irwin. Hope you enjoy a trouble-free experience with the car. Start an ownership thread and update on how the car is doing. I am waiting for mine to be delivered sometime in May-end.

Suhas
Old 7th May 2012, 14:31   #438
BHPian

Quote:

My initial opinions:

No lumbar adjustments? not even manual? on the comfortline.
Old 7th May 2012, 14:53   #439
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
IMHO, the credit here goes to to the pathetic 1.2L engine in Polo.
Why no lumbar support, any idea?

Enjoy the DSG.
Old 7th May 2012, 15:52   #440
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ipsanand
- The park assists are okay, not sure if they are really useful. Would have preferred the video units instead.
Congratulations on the new ride!

My CL does have lumbar support. There's a separate lever for that. Maybe you should look into it.

I've parked my CL and my friend's HL with the parktronic thing. I didn't find much utility of the on screen display. After 7 months of parking the Jetta in real tight spots, I can say that the parking sensors are spot on!
Old 7th May 2012, 15:53   #441
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by anandpadhye View Post
IMHO, the credit here goes to to the pathetic 1.2L engine in Polo.
Why no lumbar support, any idea?

Enjoy the DSG.
He got the Comfortline variant which comes with manual transmission.

BTW, I had one question. Is the DSG faster to 100kmph than the manual Jetta? Autocar says the manual does 0-100 in 10.91 secs which seems pretty slow, say, compared to the Cruze(9.3 secs). I thought the Jetta should be somewhere around the same, considering that the power to weight is nearly the same compared to the Cruze (not considering the gearing).
Old 7th May 2012, 16:32   #442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by lamboguy View Post
Congratulations on the new ride!

My CL does have lumbar support. There's a separate lever for that. Maybe you should look into it.

I've parked my CL and my friend's HL with the parktronic thing. I didn't find much utility of the on screen display. After 7 months of parking the Jetta in real tight spots, I can say that the parking sensors are spot on!
Hey thanks lamboguy.

I'l check for the lumbar support lever - could not find it yesterday. And i guess using the parking sensors will take some time learning..
Old 7th May 2012, 17:03   #443
Senior - BHPian

@Shivasuma

10.91 seems to be incorrect. If i am right it was around 8.2/4 or something. THe DSG is actually faster than the Manual (around 7.9 if i am right)

But someone can correct me. The DSG should be faster for the 0-60 in the sports mode.
Old 7th May 2012, 18:15   #444
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
@Shivasuma

10.91 seems to be incorrect. If i am right it was around 8.2/4 or something. THe DSG is actually faster than the Manual (around 7.9 if i am right)

But someone can correct me. The DSG should be faster for the 0-60 in the sports mode.
Having driven the DSG and Manual, DSG for sure should be faster...
Old 7th May 2012, 20:22   #445
Senior - BHPian

The DSG takes 10.02 seconds from 0 - 100 as per Autocar.
Old 7th May 2012, 20:44   #446
BHPian

Sub 8 sec 0-100. That seems really fast. What would a 1/4 mile be ?
Old 8th May 2012, 10:58   #447
BHPian

Quote:
Hey thanks lamboguy.

I'l check for the lumbar support lever - could not find it yesterday. And i guess using the parking sensors will take some time learning..
CL indeed has lumbar support - thanks lamboguy for pointing it out.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-img_2731_copy.jpg  

ipsanand is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th May 2012, 11:13   #448
BHPian

What happened guys - no action on this thread since some days..!

Its been a week since i got my Jetta - loving every minute. Am amazed at the power it delivers, esp when accompanied by the amazing Fuel economy (am getting 13.6 KMPL in mixed city driving)....

Till date, don't have any accessories fitted onto the car. Need your inputs on:
- Mats - which brand/make? Where to buy from? A couple of options i have researched: Star Mats @ 3500 bucks, 3D mats from Ultimate Detailerz, BLR @ 5000 plus shipping charges. I will opt for the black mats - cuz beige all around will make it boring..
- DRLs- Plan to replace with LEDs, am following up on another thread on this forum for specific models i need to get imported.
- Mud Flaps - Awating from the dealer
- Bluetooth module - will get it done later in the year once i save up some moolah...

take care.
Irwin
Old 14th May 2012, 11:16   #449
Team-BHP Support

Try getting the older VW Jetta mats at a discount. They fit but a little short on length but it is not noticable
Old 14th May 2012, 11:19   #450
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by ajmat View Post
Try getting the older VW Jetta mats at a discount. They fit but a little short on length but it is not noticable
Hey thanks Ajmat. Are you recommending the VW official mats? If so, they are not available with the dealership.

Also will help if you can advise me on where to get them from.... Thx.!

Most Viewed