Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th August 2013, 19:33   #901
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
I would advise you to kindly also wait for the new Octavia launching next month. It has upgraded engines and a lot better car overall for less money.
Hi Dkaile,

Yes that's another dilemma, the autocar India on diesel Octavia wasn't impressive and moreover according to that video diesel has a cheaper suspension setup at the rear not the mullti-link type present on the jetta. If skoda offers extended warranty and price falls under 20laks then yes can consider it, jetta is overpriced for what it offers.
Old 5th August 2013, 00:36   #902
Distinguished - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
moreover according to that video diesel has a cheaper suspension setup at the rear not the mullti-link type present on the jetta.
If you have the option to wait for the new Octavia, wait for it. Jetta is an equally competent car but i feel the attention to detail and feature list is lacking, overall Octavia is more important car for VAG than Jetta. Octavia is based on the newer MQB platform, also shared by A3 and Golf. Even the engine will be offered in 150hp tune, apart from other changes.

VAG knows how to tune their cars, be it the spring rates or gear ratios. Let's wait for the final product to hit our markets before dismissing it off, just due to the fact that it might get the cheaper Twist beam set up.

However, i am disappointed with their choice of twist beam setup, hope they tune it well. This is what i posted in Octavia thread yesterday-
Quote:
Unfortunately, in interests of cost cutting, majority of Manufacturers are moving towards cheaper to Manufacture Twist/Torsion beam setup over the more complex and expensive Multilink Independent suspension setup at rear. Examples- 2004 Elantra had Multilink Suspension, current Elantra loses it for cheaper Twist beam, the difference in dynamics is evident. Optra had a Multilink setup, Cruze comes with Twist beam, sit at the back seat of both the cars you will know the difference. Now it's the Octavia, only the performance versions will be coming with the more expensive Multilink setup.
Point to be noted- Jetta in United States comes with Twist/Torsion beam rear suspension.
.anshuman is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 01:18   #903
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
Point to be noted- Jetta in United States comes with Twist/Torsion beam rear suspension.
Until now. VW have officially announced that 2014 Jetta model now gets multilink suspension across all variants. They also dropped the out dated 5 cylinder motor in favour of the 1.8 TSI.

http://www.autoblog.com/2013/07/10/2...rear-suspensi/
Vid6639 is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 12:04   #904
Team-BHP Support

Basically, now, if you want a VAG drivers car

Diesel - Buy a Jetta
Petrol - New Octy 1.8 TSi
Budget petrol - Jetta 1.4TSI

Most reports say Octy is well built etc but rather humdrum. No doubt we will see plenty of comparo tests over the coming month.
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 13:11   #905
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
.... I have heard and came across threads about DSG overheating issue etc, as i am completely unaware of the oil change, will it has to be done in the usually per year service or ?? ....
I believe you might be referring to the 7 speed DQ200 issues which have been highlighted in the petrol variants. The DQ250 in the Jetta has known to be relatively niggle free. The DSG oil change is specified @ 60000 Kms.

In my past 18+ months & 21K+ Kms my personal opinion is that going for the DSG was one of the best decisions I could have made (esp with the crazy city traffic). While on one hand it offers you the convenience of an auto box on the other it also caters to your "fun driving" mood via Sports mode & the fantastic paddle shifters takes the game to a different level
You can read more on my ownership thread..
vkaul1 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th August 2013, 22:50   #906
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by .anshuman View Post
If you have the option to wait for the new Octavia, wait for it. Jetta is an equally competent car but i feel the attention to detail and feature list is lacking, overall Octavia is more important car for VAG than Jetta. Octavia is based on the newer MQB platform, also shared by A3 and Golf. Even the engine will be offered in 150hp tune, apart from other changes.

VAG knows how to tune their cars, be it the spring rates or gear ratios. Let's wait for the final product to hit our markets before dismissing it off, just due to the fact that it might get the cheaper Twist beam set up.

However, i am disappointed with their choice of twist beam setup, hope they tune it well. This is what i posted in Octavia thread yesterday-

I Agree with what you have to say, cars with cheaper suspension setups. Most of the manufacturers are tilting onto such a decision in order to squeeze in the features. The Octavia when comes out i am pretty sure in a weird way that the suspension in diesel would be a cheaper setup than that in the petrol. In only plus on choosing an Octavia would be the feature list i guess,

Im not sure as how the excise duties are charged. But for a 2000cc engine and a car which would measure a few mm more in length than the jetta i guess the pricings would start from 18laks ex-showroom. However waiting to check the same will not hurt. And yes shall keep an eye as the date is not far away. I only hope the diesel does not get a 1.6l in order to price it cheaper.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vkaul1 View Post
I believe you might be referring to the 7 speed DQ200 issues which have been highlighted in the petrol variants. The DQ250 in the Jetta has known to be relatively niggle free. The DSG oil change is specified @ 60000 Kms.

In my past 18+ months & 21K+ Kms my personal opinion is that going for the DSG was one of the best decisions I could have made (esp with the crazy city traffic). While on one hand it offers you the convenience of an auto box on the other it also caters to your "fun driving" mood via Sports mode & the fantastic paddle shifters takes the game to a different level
You can read more on my ownership thread..

I have indeed read you thread vkaul, The gripe begins when we start to realize the amount we have to pay and yes all my apprehensions are now at rest. I only hope VW 2013 models have no manufacturing defects like the leaking door panels etc. And i wish my experience turns out as smooth as yours.

But i have to say how much i was impressed by Jetta's suspension. It's confusing when people call it firm at low speeds. I am yet to experience it on high speeds.

Most often i was asked, why opt for a car that has nothing in it to justify to luxury tag, i keep asking myself the same question. "Why Jetta!? " I cannot give a hands-down reason as to why , but end of the day go to bed with a smile on my face thinking of the exact reason but alas could never justify with a proper explanation.

Mod Note: Please use the EDIT or MULTI-QUOTE buttons instead of typing one post after another on the SAME THREAD!

To know how to multi-quote, click here.

Last edited by Rudra Sen : 6th August 2013 at 09:36.
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 6th August 2013, 18:59   #907
BHPian

Hi , would like to know what the insurance premium is like in the 2nd year for a Jetta 2.0 diesel comfortline. Still evaluating the costs . Thanks

Also looking at Jetta as a car that I will be using for the next 5 to 7 years atleast. How reliable is the car ?

Last edited by hubolt : 6th August 2013 at 19:02.
Old 10th August 2013, 13:33   #908
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
Hi , would like to know what the insurance premium is like in the 2nd year for a Jetta 2.0 diesel comfortline. Still evaluating the costs . Thanks

Also looking at Jetta as a car that I will be using for the next 5 to 7 years atleast. How reliable is the car ?
Hi Hubolt,

I have no clear idea as to how much would be the premium for the second year, but regarding the reliability you can check out the various long term reviews of the Jetta so that you will get a picture on its reliability. You can reply to any of the Jetta ownership threads to get the quote for the second year
Old 10th August 2013, 14:06   #909
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Expect any where between 35-45 depending on depreciation cover. The DC is available for the first three years and can be claimed twice in a year. Post a claim the car is no longer eligible for depreciation cover in some insurance.

The no claim bonus in these segments and higher ups are very high. If you dont need the depreciation cover expect to pay around 30k at least.
Old 10th August 2013, 23:27   #910
BHPian

Thanks VW for the info.

Have read almost all the ownership threads and they do inspire a lot of confidence in the car.
Old 14th August 2013, 09:40   #911
BHPian

Booked Jetta TDi Trendline yesterday in Hyderabad. OTR 16.9lakhs. Insurance is free, got 20k corporate discount and 20K exchange bonus. I really thankful to all Team-bhp experts who basically simplified my decision making towards Jetta. I will post a detailed report once I get the vehicle in another 2 weeks.
Old 14th August 2013, 11:32   #912
BHPian

Experts,
Dealer is not giving me any free accessories. Could you suggest me what floor mats should I buy&where? Since ICE is very basic in Jetta trendline , I'm going to get either Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 or Kenwood which cost 50000Rs and 30000Rs at dealer . He said warranty will not void. Thanks for your help.
Old 15th August 2013, 09:10   #913

Hi All,
This is my first post on Team-BHP and I'am so very excited about being a part of Team-Bhp. All you guys here played a major role in helping me buy my Jetta . I own a Volkswagen Jetta (Comfort Line ) bought on January 2013 from TVS Volkswagen, Whites road, Chennai . It was a 2012 model and got a couple of discounts . Wanted the highline but none of the dealers in Chennai had a stock of highlines so was forced to buy the comfortline . Iam pretty happy with the car except for a few queries .
1). The DRL (on-off) option has been removed from the MFD from my model. I don't know why Volkswagen had to do this in the first place .The DRL is annoying at times I have people telling me that I have my lights on in the mornings . Is there any way i could switch them off . ???
2). The ICE is very basic in the comfortline .The dealer has warned me that any changes in that would Void my warranty . I badly want to change it but have no clue as to how to do it without the warranty getting void . ??
Old 17th August 2013, 15:51   #914
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rah1555 View Post
2). The ICE is very basic in the comfortline .The dealer has warned me that any changes in that would Void my warranty . I badly want to change it but have no clue as to how to do it without the warranty getting void . ??
First of all, welcome to the forum! I would be able to help you with one of your queries as I myself was looking for an ICE upgrade when booking a Jetta. I ended up booking a HL primarily because of ICE (and the alloys, of course). Anyways, back to your query on ICE upgrade, I checked the same with multiple dealers and all did confirm that an upgrade will void the warranty. Now the most interesting thing that came out of the entire discussion was that the VW authorised dealers are themselves offering a Caska as an upgrade but when I enquired about Blaupunkt, I was told that it would void the warranty. Further, when confronted that how is it that they themselves are offering a cheaper(in terms of quality, not price) Chinese alternative, they said it will void the warranty too. Of course, since they knew that I am not going for Caska anyways, they just said what they felt right! What it makes me think is that this "Voiding Warranty" is something that is in hands of the dealer and not at VW level. So, may be, you can talk to the dealer in your area and see if he can have the ICE of your choice installed "without" voiding the warranty. Disclaimer: I could be wrong here though!
das_treiber is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th August 2013, 19:37   #915
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by SanjeevReddy View Post
Experts,
Dealer is not giving me any free accessories. Could you suggest me what floor mats should I buy&where? Since ICE is very basic in Jetta trendline , I'm going to get either Blaupunkt Philadelphia 835 or Kenwood which cost 50000Rs and 30000Rs at dealer . He said warranty will not void. Thanks for your help.
I recently bought a Rapid and got a touch screen player installed (at the dealer itself). Its a plug and play, no tampering with the electricals and hence no warranty issues. It could also be done outside, but the dealer would lose out on his margin and hence would say no warranty. The same is available for the Jetta and I am thinking of getting it for my Jetta CL. I just spoke to the sales guy at Downtown VW and he said it should be ok as long as its a plug and play and no electrical wires have been cut. So I guess it depends on the dealer. The player is Green Hiwe and the cost is about 40K (touch screen, DVD player, Navigation, bluetooth, Hi Definition screen etc, and especially made for VAG group of cars and hence a direct install without cutting any wires).
shivasuma is offline   (2) Thanks

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks