Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 27th March 2014, 00:24   #1276
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
What is the trim of your Superb? IIRC, only the elegance trim has AFS.

Edit: checked the Skoda site. Only the elegance trim has bi xenons with AFS. The ambition only has halogen projectors with manual levelling.
I think Octavia in elegance trim has Bi-Xenon's with AFS.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dkaile View Post
AFAIK in the Laura & Jetta the Xenon works only for low beam.

A lot of cars have Halogen high beams to supplement the Xenon/HID or to act as the sole high beam (Laura/Jetta).
2014 Jetta has cornering Bi-Xenon's without AFS - Leveling is controlled manually.

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
Very high speed noise will be there but at that speed noise is your last worry
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 28th March 2014, 07:06   #1277
BHPian

The fog lamp cornering effect is visible at lower speeds , but does the headlamp also have a static cornering feature at higher speed ?

Does the circled area have a lamp inside ?
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-lamp.jpg  

Old 28th March 2014, 09:39   #1278
Senior - BHPian

With the amount of physical features available i am pretty sure some of the features can be enabled via VAG-COM.

I dont mind spending some time with my VAG-COM for someone with the new jetta in Chennai. We can explore what is available.

In the old versions one can enable using the fog lamps for turn lights that gets activated when you switch on the turn signal or simply steer towards right.

With DRL in place as standard circuit, we can explore other options if someone is willing to experiment
Old 28th March 2014, 15:08   #1279
BHPian

Can someone help me with turning off the DRL in Jetta CL? I have fellow drivers always indicating me that my lights are ON. Apparently in new facelifted Jetta, those cannot be turned off by MFD nor by the workaround of holding the left stock towards you after turning igination ON for 5 secs. Any quick way to have the control for the DRL with me on demand?
Old 28th March 2014, 23:12   #1280
BHPian

Hello gentlemen,

closely following threads on the Jetta as I'm thinking of buying a used 2012/2013 model. It looks like a phenomenal driver's car with great mileage.

Here is the catch, my budget is quite low at 13 to 14L, however the GAADI.com used car India BlueBook guideline price seems to indicate that I could get myself a 2013 Comfortline MT Diesel for my budget. Is that correct?

If so, I think this is an awesome deal, however, my question to most of you new Jetta buyers out this is - Does the Jetta make sense as a second hand buy, given the concerns of the lack of extended warranty, high repairs / maintenance costs for an older German car, poor after sales service etc..

Is it really worth going in for a 2nd hand Jetta at this price?
Old 28th March 2014, 23:47   #1281
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shireeshjacobs View Post
Hello gentlemen,

The GAADI.com used car India BlueBook guideline price seems to indicate that I could get myself a 2013 Comfortline MT Diesel for my budget.

Is it really worth going in for a 2nd hand Jetta at this price?
At the outset, allow me to say I have absolutely no idea about used car prices in Chennai. That in itself will have a big role in answering your "what price" question. 13-14 lakhs is a mouthwatering price, but to understand if that figure is right, I'd say you should reverse engineer it. Figure out the OTR price of the Comfortline MT in question when it was brand new, and factor in depreciation, usage, wear and tear et al to arrive at a fair price. I don't think 14 lakhs is that far off the actual buying price of one in the used car market. Plus since the Jetta is not a popular car you can always use that as a stick to beat the buyer with and drive the price down. Personally, I'd say go with a 2013 make as far as possible since it'll be that bit newer.

Speaking of which, buy from an individual seller if possible. That will make the deal even sweeter since the dealer charging his markup will be knocked out of the picture. And be patient since a good deal might be hard to come by!

The car itself is superb without a shadow of a doubt. The MT Jetta is a robust car that shouldn't have many issues w.r.t. reliability. If you have an issue with expensive spares, that might be something to be wary about. German cars are expensive to own, older or newer, especially if they have tons of complex tech. Remember, you are buying it for 13-14 lakhs, but it is a 20 lakh German car and its spares and servicing will be priced as such.

How is VW's after-sales in Chennai? I think the only pain point with buying a VW is questionable dealings and support from the dealership. The car itself should be trouble free. Also, if my understanding is correct, picking up a car with a valid warranty should allow you also to buy the Extended Warranty that is now available. It is heftily priced though at Rs. 46,000 for those in the 1st year of their warranty and Rs. 60,000+ for those whose warranty is in the 2nd year. Still, for sheer peace of mind it can't be beat and should be availed of.

Personally, I firmly believe that there is great value in the used car market and you should check it out further. Just be ready to wait for the right deal to come along.
Old 29th March 2014, 20:46   #1282
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by VW2010 View Post
With the amount of physical features available i am pretty sure some of the features can be enabled via VAG-COM.

I dont mind spending some time with my VAG-COM for someone with the new jetta in Chennai. We can explore what is available.

In the old versions one can enable using the fog lamps for turn lights that gets activated when you switch on the turn signal or simply steer towards right.

With DRL in place as standard circuit, we can explore other options if someone is willing to experiment
Hi, I too am planning to get a VAG-COM cable to see if some improvements can be done in the new Jetta. Where did you buy the cable? Can you please provide a link?

There are many threads in VW forums that discuss various VAG-COM tweaks.
Some of the most common mods people attempt are: DRL on/off, number of flashes for convenience turn signal, tear drop wipe, cluster staging etc.

Somewhere I read that the MID has an option to display 0-60, 0-100 and quarter mile timings. That would be an interesting mod.
Old 29th March 2014, 20:54   #1283
Senior - BHPian

Cluster staging and accessing acceleration timings are a good thing to have, but I'm not sure I'd buy a VAG-COM cable just for that. Maybe I need to buy a mumbai based BHP-ian with a cable
iliketurtles is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 29th March 2014, 21:16   #1284
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by hubolt View Post
The fog lamp cornering effect is visible at lower speeds , but does the headlamp also have a static cornering feature at higher speed ?

Does the circled area have a lamp inside ?
Actually, the circled area houses the DRLs. Below is the picture of the Headlight assembly (from the test drive car).

Name:  Jetta Headlamp.png
Views: 1975
Size:  274.2 KB

I am not 100% sure about the Parking/Turning indicators if the same bulbs serve both purposes.

The low speed cornering is done by the lights marked as cornering lights in the picture, not the fog lamps. I have posted a video in one of my previous posts. From the experience of iliketurtles, it does look like the main lamp has cornering function at high speeds.

Disclaimer: The picture and the markings is just theoretical knowledge. I will be able to confirm the accuracy when I get the delivery of my Jetta!
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 10:19   #1285
Team-BHP Support

I need some advice on tire upgrade. I decided to go with the Yokohama v550, and called a couple of tire dealers here in Coimbatore. One of them is giving me an exchange price of just Rs.3600 for the Goodyear NCT5, whereas the other is totally discouraging me from upgrading at all. Will try calling up some more dealers.

I guess exchanging the Goodyear tires for Rs.3600 is not a good VFM proposition. Has someone from Coimbatore done a tire exchange and got a better deal? If yes, can you give me some details of the dealer?

If I don't get a good deal, should I just stick to the stock tires? Are the NCT5's very noisy?
Old 31st March 2014, 11:32   #1286
Senior - BHPian

That's a terrible buyback valuation, short by at least ₹2000 compared to the valuation a mumbai based tyre dealer would give you.

Even so, I'd still recommend a tyre upgrade since noise is a concern for you. The Goodyear's, by all accounts, are noisy at speed and if you even keep it for a few days and realise it's not working for you the buy-back value will plummet still further.

If you want to exchange it, and I really believe you should, there's no better time to do it than when the tyres are new, so to speak.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 13:28   #1287
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
That's a terrible buyback valuation, short by at least ₹2000 compared to the valuation a mumbai based tyre dealer would give you.

Even so, I'd still recommend a tyre upgrade since noise is a concern for you. The Goodyear's, by all accounts, are noisy at speed and if you even keep it for a few days and realise it's not working for you the buy-back value will plummet still further.

If you want to exchange it, and I really believe you should, there's no better time to do it than when the tyres are new, so to speak.
I talked to some more dealers, and one of them is offering 4K for the Good year tires - looks like 3800 is the standard exchange rate here in Coimbatore. Maybe it is high in Mumbai.

And following are the cost of the new tires

Yokohama v550 - 9200
Michelin 3ST- 10000

I will select one of the above after seeing the tires and discussing some more in person with the dealer. This tire business is definitely going to burn a bigger hole in my pocket than I had expected
Old 31st March 2014, 13:53   #1288
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Following are the cost of the new tires

Yokohama v550 - 9200
Michelin 3ST- 10000

This tire business is definitely going to burn a bigger hole in my pocket than I had expected
Check if they have/can get Michelin Primacy LC's. It should be cheaper than the 3ST's by about Rs. 500 a tyre, give or take, so it makes a slightly difference to the bill when you're paying for 5 brand new tyres.

It's an expensive affair, but it's better to pay up rather than not do so and fail to enjoy the car to the fullest. BTW, what's the scene w.r.t. delivery?
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 14:12   #1289
Senior - BHPian

Quote:

Yokohama v550 - 9200
Michelin 3ST- 10000
My suggestion would be Michelin 3ST. Low noise, ST(Silent Tuned). Made keeping in mind Asian road conditions.

Michelin 3ST- for 10000 is outrageous. If you are okay buying online purchase it from Snapdeal. These days tyres are cheaper online on Snapdeal. You can get set of 4 tyres for Rs 34839 and if you have StanChart CC you could save another Rs 1000.

Link set of 4 Michelin 3ST.

Link. Single unit for spare to complete a set of 5 tyres.

Recently one of JK Tyres on my Vento deformed. JK were ready to replace it at pro-rata basis, but the cost of tyre MRP was more as compared to online price on Snapdeal which I told JK guy guy which he accepted and said they are looking into it.

My suggestion buy online COD and have them fixed at a known tyre shop. With the saved dough you could plan more mods
el lobo 6061 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 31st March 2014, 15:58   #1290
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I talked to some more dealers, and one of them is offering 4K for the Good year tires - looks like 3800 is the standard exchange rate here in Coimbatore. Maybe it is high in Mumbai.

Yokohama v550 - 9200
Michelin 3ST- 10000

I will select one of the above after seeing the tires and discussing some more in person with the dealer. This tire business is definitely going to burn a bigger hole in my pocket than I had expected
Considering that Jetta has 205s 10k is just about the right street price for those.
The 195s retail for much lesser. My experience buying online has never been great. They always sell stock older that what's available at a tyre shop nearest to you.
Considering you're spending upwards of 35k I'd suggest you spare a few hours and pick it up from a shop you know and trust.
Michelin will be way better than Goodyear. We have primacy lc on both our cars and there's been no issue with sidewall yet. I think ST is slightly better than the PLC. It will burn a big hole in your pocket but you'll benefit in the long run.

Last edited by shashank.nk : 31st March 2014 at 16:00.
shashank.nk is offline   (1) Thanks

Most Viewed