Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 4th April 2014, 16:16   #1306
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Hiya. Strangely, even though you quoted me and I was intimated by email, I never did see your post on the thread. Ah, well...

Quote:
Originally Posted by YakubKC View Post
Its the owner who I'm dealing with, so no middlemen involved. Service history is available and I will check with the dealership on their record of the vehicle as well. According to the T-Bhp used car price-check tool, a fair price would be a maximum of 12L. However, I've seen only Trendlines go at that price, in Kerala. What would you say to making an offer of 12.75-13L? Does that seem reasonable?
Zoiks, an owner quoting that much? Can't blame them for trying to get the best price, can you? Even so, it's good to see you're dealing with an individual owner, I just prefer it that way. I was thinking 12.5-12.75 at most after beginning negotiations at 12L, but it all really depends on the condition of the car.

The price though depends on so many questions being answered. How does she drive? Has she been regularly serviced? How many nicks/cuts/scrapes/dents does she have? Is the paint completely original? The tyres will need changing soon if they haven't been changed recently, so you'll need to factor that into your negotiations too.

Quote:
Like you mentioned (like a few friends), I should probably consider and take a TD of the Elantra. Its just that I've never been a fan of Hyundai, and so never really had the heart wanting a Hyundai. But yes, if this deal fails to work out, I'll definitely check out the Elantra.
I understand your concerns against the Elantra, sometimes no matter how good a car is you just don't feel that connection to it. It's just a car then, isn't it? Sometimes you want something to move your soul, not just you from point A to point B. A Skoda Laura with MT would be a great option too from a purely fun to drive perspective, but it is a Skoda so that's something to be wary about, and space at the back isn't as good as the Jetta.

Quote:
Yes, StarScream. It has to be a diesel. The Vento with the DSG sounds very appealing, but without an official release date announced, I could end up waiting, waiting and still waiting. Also, you're right on the long-term considerations-it might make more sense to get the Vento.
Let me play the Devil's advocate here; a diesel Vento with DSG will be a boon really, but if you've driven a Vento and come away displeased for whatever reason, why would you then go for it at a later point just because it comes mated to that (frankly superb) DSG? I sense you want something more plush than a City/Vento/Verna, and while Starscream is absolutely right in saying a newer car is better, but pound for pound you're getting a lot more than the Vento by paying a price not much more than it. That's value that's hard to resist.

Quote:
The problem is, after driving the Jetta, I feel if I can get a 2 year old Jetta for the price of a new Vento, would it not make sense to get the Jetta? You get more space, power and a 'more premium'car. This is the question playing in my mind.
That's a very valid question, and one I've tried to answer above. On a separate note, I'm not sure I'd go for that 36k kms Jetta unless it's been very lovingly maintained. It has been run a fair bit given how many months it's been around.

Quote:
The additional warranty on the Jetta would work out to 60k as I understand. This is quite high considering a budget of 13L in mind. Is it necessary to spend this additional amount on top of the 13L spent on the car? I mean, isn't the car reliable enough without opting for EW? MT Jetta owners having used their cars for 2-3 years should be able to confirm on whether its a must have.
It's not necessary to spend that amount of money on the Extended Warranty at all, but it will give you extra peace of mind and is recommended. For what it's worth, I will be picking up the Extended Warranty in some months once finances pick up. The car is certainly reliable enough for you to take it sans the Extended Warranty, but it (the Extended Warranty) is like a protection program that will shield you from any troubles and big expenses if something fails.

Chethan BG has a Jetta Highline MT and he too is going for the Extended Warranty for the peace of mind it offers. I think his Jetta too is about 15 months old, give or take. Nothing's gone wrong with his ownership experience, it's just that paying that extra amount is worth it for the peace of mind it offers.

Hope that helps.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 17:26   #1307
Distinguished - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Hiya. Strangely, even though you quoted me and I was intimated by email, I never did see your post on the thread. Ah, well...
OT. But wanted to clarify as this was something that puzzled me also. Then found the reason. For new members, since the first 25 posts are moderated, the post will appear in the forum only after approval(which can take up to a couple of hours). But the 'you have been quoted' email goes as soon as the post is submitted.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 22:43   #1308
Team-BHP Support

Friends,

At last after a long wait, took delivery of my Platinum Grey Jetta 2.0TDI AT HL. It was just two weeks back I went to the VW show room to enquire about the Jetta. Compared to the 3 month long wait for the Octavia, things moved super fast with the Jetta. Here are some pictures.

Car getting cleaned for delivery.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-getting-cleaned.jpg

Ready for delivery.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-ready-delivery.jpg

Gift wrapped.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-gift-wrapped.jpg

Me and wife unwrapping the gift.
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-unwrap-gift.jpg

Receiving the bouquet and keys amidst confetti
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-receiving-keys.jpg

After taking delivery of the car, went to the tire dealer and changed the Good Year NCT5's to Michelin Primacy 3ST's. Thank you all friends who insisted I change the tires. These tires are butter smooth. Absolutely no noise whatsoever. Worth every penny spent on these tires!

Some initial thoughts.

Love the 2.0TDI + DSG6 combination. Super smooth and powerful. Never knew a diesel engine could be this refined. The refined engine + the silent tires, make the cabin absolutely quiet. Extremely happy! I should thank GTO for his punch line "Germans make better diesels than petrols!"

Went to Marudamalai, a temple situated in a small hill here in Coimbatore. Though this is a very narrow 3 km stretch of winding roads, it was absolute fun. Can't wait to take it for a spin in the hill roads of Ooty, Munnar and Sathyamangalam. It was dark while returning, and I was amazed at the power of the BiXenons. Compared to the dull light from the under powered halogens on my Getz, the light from the Xenons is leagues ahead. The automatic level adjustment, static cornering and the main beam cornering are absolutely fantastic in the winding roads!

A lot more to explore. Need to spend a lot of time to understand all the functions in the MID and the HU. Will work on the initial ownership thread. But it may take some time for me to put it together. Till then will keep updating my experiences in this thread.

Thank you once again all friends for all the guidance - right from selecting the Octavia to buying the Jetta!
graaja is online now   (9) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 22:54   #1309
Senior - BHPian

Congrats graaja! The car looks absolutely lovely in that color and the burst of confetti was a nice touch too by the dealer. All I got was a life-sized key and some other stuff, no confetti whatsoever

Your photoshop skills are excellent, it took very close scrutiny for me to ascertain that you weren't in fact Alladin and Jasmine in the photos.

Glad you're enjoying the car. Take her out for a proper drive sometime soon, it'll be a blast. Enjoy, and congrats again.
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 4th April 2014, 23:28   #1310
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Graaja, it looks fabulous.

But, Pics are not enough. Start a thread and let us be a part of your entire experience.
abhinav.gupta88 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 01:03   #1311
BHPian

Congratulations Graaja!! Great pictures as well!

Wishing you many years of trouble free joy with the Jetta!
manu is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 01:11   #1312
BHPian

Many congratulations graaja. That is one beautiful looking car and the color suits it very well.

The beauty of Jetta is, after researching at other cars in this segment and drifting away to the likes of fluence, Octavia and one look again at the Jetta, the heart and mind is convinced again that Jetta is my next car. Looking forward to your ownership review eagerly as this year am on the look out for a new car!

Happy miles ahead.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 06:48   #1313
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
Friends,

At last after a long wait, took delivery of my Platinum Grey Jetta 2.0TDI AT HL.
Congratulations graaja, wish you miles and miles of fun filled trouble free motoring. Hats off to your photoshop skills, it took some time to understand what is happening.

It was after seeing your poll results that gave me confidence to go ahead with Octavia, thank you very much.
B747 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 09:00   #1314
BHPian

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

[quote=graaja;3406136]Friends,

At last after a long wait, took delivery of my Platinum Grey Jetta 2.0TDI AT HL.
[quote=graaja;3406136]

Congrats Graja!! Wish you many happy trouble free miles ahead! Platinum grey looks stunning!
Old 5th April 2014, 09:22   #1315
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Congrats graaja! The car looks absolutely lovely in that color and the burst of confetti was a nice touch too by the dealer. All I got was a life-sized key and some other stuff, no confetti whatsoever

Your photoshop skills are excellent, it took very close scrutiny for me to ascertain that you weren't in fact Alladin and Jasmine in the photos.

Glad you're enjoying the car. Take her out for a proper drive sometime soon, it'll be a blast. Enjoy, and congrats again.
Thanks buddy. Even I was surprised with the hand over ceremony. When I bought my Getz there was absolutely nothing - not even the life sized key I hope you are not pulling my legs regarding the photoshop thingy. This was a "quick and dirty" power point job - just crop the cartoon images and place over the original picture. Just looking for an opportunity to take her on a long drive!

Quote:
Originally Posted by abhinav.gupta88 View Post
Congrats Graaja, it looks fabulous.

But, Pics are not enough. Start a thread and let us be a part of your entire experience.
Thanks Abhinav. I would love to start an ownership thread. But being an engineer, I lack the writing skills (compared to some other threads there by the likes of the late Sam, iliketurtles, dkaile, RavenAvi) to make the thread interesting to read. Maybe I will just fill it up with photos and cover up my inadequacy! I will do this once I get a good chance for a photo shoot of the car in a good location.

Quote:
Originally Posted by manu View Post
Congratulations Graaja!! Great pictures as well!

Wishing you many years of trouble free joy with the Jetta!
Thanks you for the wishes, Manu!

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Many congratulations graaja. That is one beautiful looking car and the color suits it very well.

The beauty of Jetta is, after researching at other cars in this segment and drifting away to the likes of fluence, Octavia and one look again at the Jetta, the heart and mind is convinced again that Jetta is my next car. Looking forward to your ownership review eagerly as this year am on the look out for a new car!

Happy miles ahead.
Thanks for the wishes, petrolveins! You are right there. Though I had booked the Octavia, now that I have Jetta, I have absolutely no remorse in not getting the Octavia! Will try to put up an ownership thread soon.

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Congratulations graaja, wish you miles and miles of fun filled trouble free motoring. Hats off to your photoshop skills, it took some time to understand what is happening.

It was after seeing your poll results that gave me confidence to go ahead with Octavia, thank you very much.
Thanks for the wishes B747. I am really glad that my poll results were useful to somebody to make the right choice! I hope you are having a blast with the Octavia.

And thank you about your compliments on the phot edits. Actually I did not do the edits with photoshop. It was just a quick job with power point. I was thinking to make the guy presenting us the car the genie, but thought he was handsome and hence could let him be.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
Congrats Graja!! Wish you many happy trouble free miles ahead! Platinum grey looks stunning!
Thank you very much for the wishes, Amarendranath!

Last edited by graaja : 5th April 2014 at 09:23.
Old 5th April 2014, 10:30   #1316
BHPian

Congrats Graaja. Your wait has been worthwhile. When you take her out for a spin, you will know you have made the best choice. Best wishes!
Sanjubose is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 11:38   #1317
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Graaja!

Once you get addicted to that strong and smooth performance, you may not feel like getting out of the car...

Please take care and drive safe.
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 12:15   #1318
Distinguished - BHPian

Congrats Graaja. Been following your posts and delays with the octavia. Good that you switched to jetta and got it soon. Great choice and all the best.
Rajeevraj is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th April 2014, 21:52   #1319
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjubose View Post
Congrats Graaja. Your wait has been worthwhile. When you take her out for a spin, you will know you have made the best choice. Best wishes!
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Congrats Graaja!

Once you get addicted to that strong and smooth performance, you may not feel like getting out of the car...

Please take care and drive safe.
Thanks Sanjubose and Chethan. You are perfectly right about the performance being addictive. I am just finding excuses to take the car out. Today evening, I went for a 40km ride under the guise of finding a good spot for a photo shoot, but could not find one. No problem. Tomorrow morning, planning to go on a 100km trip towards Kerala to find the right spot

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rajeevraj View Post
Congrats Graaja. Been following your posts and delays with the octavia. Good that you switched to jetta and got it soon. Great choice and all the best.
Thank you for the wishes, Rajeevraj!
Old 5th April 2014, 23:18   #1320
BHPian

Hi Guys,

Can someone tell me how do the leatherette seats feel in summer as i have no idea what is the difference between the leather and leatherette seats and what maintenance measures are required for these seats? Also did any one of you get any transparent sun films for summer ??

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks