Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 7th April 2014, 15:26   #1336
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Ok, let me try to help here. What are you looking to express with the car color?

If you want something demure, classy and totally understated that might not necessarily turn heads but is very easy on maintenance, go for Candy White. You might not like the color if you are young or young at heart.

If you want something a little bit flashy and don't mind the extra maintenance that goes into the car, Deep Black is your color. It contrasts really nicely with the LED's and silver alloys. I've always been a sucker for black and silver as a combination. It will require loads of tender loving care though!

If you want something absolutely different from the rest, Toffee Brown is your color. It is unlike everything else on the market and is very regal and elegant in the flesh. It is a very grown up color though, very mature and sophisticated. You might or might not like that.

You just can't go wrong with Reflex Silver. It's not the best looking color for the Jetta IMO but it's good looking, easy on maintenance and combines elegance and vibrancy rather well. It's got the best of all worlds really.

Platinum Grey is again a very safe color that is low on maintenance and will not be too flashy. It's got all the qualities of Reflex White without being as understated, although that shade of grey is a bit too serious for me personally.

Personally, I'd go for the Toffee Brown or Deep Pearl Black. I love both the colors, but don't go for Deep Black unless you're sure you'll keep the car looking good. Black is the most high maintenance color of them all and buying a Black car is more a full-time hobby than anything! Toffee Brown looks fantastic, but it too will require some loving care every now and then, although not as much as Deep Pearl Black.

It seems to me like you're sold on Toffee Brown. Go for it. I remember seeing one in the showroom on the day of delivery and it took my breath away. The sales guy was worried I might change my mind Deep Pearl Black too has it's own beauty, but Toffee Brown is a much rarer color, which is both good and bad.

If all logic fails when it comes to picking out a color, just narrow it down to 2 colors and flip a coin
iliketurtles is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 15:45   #1337
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by B747 View Post
Did you mean ABS unit? ABS sensors can't be so costly.
ABS unit would cost from INR 50K onwards depending on the variant.
ABS sensor would cost from INR 12K onwards.

Source: Vagtune
Old 7th April 2014, 17:02   #1338
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by iliketurtles View Post
Ok, let me try to help here. What are you looking to express with the car color?

If you want something demure, classy and totally understated that might not necessarily turn heads but is very easy on maintenance, go for Candy White. You might not like the color if you are young or young at heart.
The sales person was pushing us towards white as a easy maintenance and sophisticated color when i spoke to him on the phone on what colors he had in stock, may be he has a lot of inventory with white. I absolutely loved the toffee brown, but as the car is for my father i'm not letting my interest get into his head. Also somehow the cars tends to look smaller in darker shades, But thats not the case with white.

Quote:
If you want something a little bit flashy and don't mind the extra maintenance that goes into the car, Deep Black is your color. It contrasts really nicely with the LED's and silver alloys. I've always been a sucker for black and silver as a combination. It will require loads of tender loving care though!
Black i love to watch this color, but yes i dont think my dad will be able to maintain it that good without a driver

Quote:
If you want something absolutely different from the rest, Toffee Brown is your color. It is unlike everything else on the market and is very regal and elegant in the flesh. It is a very grown up color though, very mature and sophisticated. You might or might not like that.

Toffee all of us are sold on this! lovely color, I saw a toffee color in motion and boy It was just looks Mindblowing! but when i look at it in the pictures it looks dull and hence the dilemma.

Quote:
You just can't go wrong with Reflex Silver. It's not the best looking color for the Jetta IMO but it's good looking, easy on maintenance and combines elegance and vibrancy rather well. It's got the best of all worlds really.

Quote:
Platinum Grey is again a very safe color that is low on maintenance and will not be too flashy. It's got all the qualities of Reflex White without being as understated, although that shade of grey is a bit too serious for me personally.
Silver we might have preferred but not in stock and same with platinum grey.

Quote:
Personally, I'd go for the Toffee Brown or Deep Pearl Black. I love both the colors, but don't go for Deep Black unless you're sure you'll keep the car looking good. Black is the most high maintenance color of them all and buying a Black car is more a full-time hobby than anything! Toffee Brown looks fantastic, but it too will require some loving care every now and then, although not as much as Deep Pearl Black.
By maintanence what exactly you mean here ? we do not have a driver and clean cars only on the weekends but if it is the Jetta we are getting, ill make sure to make it shine. It would be great if you can post some links on what products to use ?, We have a thread but thats a lot of data over there. Anything else is required to do for the color i mean 3M services of anything else so that the dark color doesn't fade away with time. Also whats your opinion on scratches and etc.

Quote:
It seems to me like you're sold on Toffee Brown. Go for it. I remember seeing one in the showroom on the day of delivery and it took my breath away. The sales guy was worried I might change my mind Deep Pearl Black too has it's own beauty, but Toffee Brown is a much rarer color, which is both good and bad.
Almost sold, But i want to take good care of it and shouldn't become a burden later on to maintain the car and hence all the apprehensions. White is and always will be too plain for me. The SE also said "Sir why do you think more than Half of the AUDI's are in white color" he has a point. But any small scratches and car will start looking ugly. I have seen many German cars where the back bumpers look like Dalmatians and i'm scared of the same as in city conditions once in a while such a ting might happen.

Quote:
If all logic fails when it comes to picking out a color, just narrow it down to 2 colors and flip a coin
Hehe, Oh the coin trick always works

Last edited by Amarendranath : 7th April 2014 at 17:26.
Old 7th April 2014, 17:28   #1339
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amarendranath View Post
The sales person was pushing us towards white as a easy maintenance and sophisticated color when i spoke to him on the phone on what colors he had in stock, may be he has a lot of inventory with white.
Very likely that he does, ask Chethan for his take on Candy White. There's a Candy White Jetta at work and parking my own car next to it makes for such a stark contrast. Will try to get a picture of it if you're thinking of white.

Quote:
By maintanence what exactly you mean here ? we do not have a driver and clean cars only on the weekends but if it is the Jetta we are getting ill make sure to make it shine.
By maintenance I mean regularly (daily) using a duster to clean the car since it will be a dust magnet. This is easy, a 2-3 minute process. Will get to that in a minute.

Other than that, depending on how hands on you want to be, you should get a car shampoo, wax and microfiber cloth(s) to clean the car. I have someone who cleans the car daily, but it leaves swirl marks on the paint. I am considering letting it be for now and filling them up with a swirl mark remover such as this one.. The other option is to get professional detailing done btu you can only do it so often before the cost becomes overwhelming. So, by maintenance, I essentially mean

a) daily dust removal as many times as needed
b) a proper wash with shampoo/waterless wash every weekend and
c) a wax once a month

Quote:
It would be great if you can post some links on what products to use ?, We have a thread but thats a lot of data over there.
Optimum No Rinse is a great product that came recommended to me, but I don't have a water source anywhere near my parking, so I'm using a waterless wash currently along with a liquid wax and a gloss enhancer to be used only when the car is absolutely clean.

On a daily basis, I only use the Jopasu Duster to wipe off all the dust. Can't recommend it enough.

Quote:
Anything else is required to do for the color i mean 3M services of anything else so that the dark color doesn't fade away with time.
As far as protecting the color goes, I studied both Opticoat and C-quartz. The former is a one-time application that forms a protective layer but doesn't have the gloss and sex appeal of c-quartz. C-Quartz comes with a 2 year warranty, is much cheaper and looks mindblowingly good. That's all I'd do for the car when it comes to paint protection. I've already had paint sealant applied professionally and do my own waxing, but using C-quartz would reduce the need for me to wax significantly. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone that can do it in Mumbai. You might be luckier!

Quote:
Also whats your opinion on scratches and etc.
They're unavoidable, sadly A few days into getting her home, someone ran over a stone and it made a huge sound as it pinged off the rear right door. It left a small chip that I had touched up and it's now invisible to the naked eye, but it's unavoidable really. What's worse, on black the smallest of scratches becomes very visible. Keeping her gleaming and pristine is hard work!
iliketurtles is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 18:01   #1340
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
My previous cars were Silver / Silver / Black / Pearl effect Black - in that order. To have a change, I picked up white and I am not regretting!

Not that I am old / old at heart..

Quote:
VW Pearl effect Black is a very different color in terms of both looks and maintenance. With minimum maintenance, I did not have any problem with my Polo for almost 3 1/2 years.

One more advantage is that the base color of Bumper is black. Therefore, minor scratches are not visible. In White, even small scratches will be predominantly visible. In fact, white requires more CARE than Black, IMO.

Quote:
Reflex Silver is the most elegant color IMO. Easy to maintain, provides excellent contrast and ages well. VW silver is again very different from other cars. I just love it! Drool worthy....!!!

Quote:
Quote:
Hehe, Oh the coin trick always works
If only a coin had 3 faces....
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 18:49   #1341
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Toffee all of us are sold on this! lovely color, I saw a toffee color in motion and boy It was just looks Mindblowing! but when i look at it in the pictures it looks dull and hence the dilemma.
If you love the toffee brown color in flesh, then you should definitely go for it. Never select the car by looking at a photo. There are too many factors that come into play like exposure, white balance, direction of lighting, angle of photo etc. which affect how the car looks in a photo. With proper tricks, even a dull looking car can be made to look like wall paper stuff and the best looking cars can look totally dull as well.

Last edited by graaja : 7th April 2014 at 18:50.
graaja is online now   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 19:40   #1342
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
If you love the toffee brown color in flesh, then you should definitely go for it. Never select the car by looking at a photo. There are too many factors that come into play like exposure, white balance, direction of lighting, angle of photo etc. which affect how the car looks in a photo. With proper tricks, even a dull looking car can be made to look like wall paper stuff and the best looking cars can look totally dull as well.
Absolutely agree with this view, you should never select on the basis of how it looks in a photo unless you are sending it for a photo shoot competition . When you drive the car in your colony, they look at the real car moving not the photo that you might have taken! Toffee brown looks like a rare color so you might have that exclusivity factor, if you are keen on one. All the best.
petrolveins is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 7th April 2014, 22:10   #1343
BHPian

Guys,

Just came across this, What do you think? By this year end i guess this will come down to india, I have no patience to wait but the redesign looks good. Not many changes though.

http://www.motoroids.com/news/upcomi...ew-york-debut/

Last edited by Amarendranath : 7th April 2014 at 22:11.
Old 7th April 2014, 22:22   #1344
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
I picked up white and I am not regretting!
In fact, white requires more CARE than Black, IMO.
Good to hear this Chethan, my only issue with white is that even tough its a six layer paint the scratches are visible on white VW cars.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
Reflex Silver is the most elegant color IMO. Easy to maintain, provides excellent contrast and ages well.
Before toffee brown, Silver is what i wanted to try but none in the inventory.

Quote:
Originally Posted by graaja View Post
True, i agree with you. My house being an open parking arrangement and ar this point of time i.e. in summer the paint would take quite a hit, so was wondering.

Quote:
Originally Posted by petrolveins View Post
Absolutely agree with this view, you should never select on the basis of how it looks in a photo unless you are sending it for a photo shoot competition . When you drive the car in your colony, they look at the real car moving not the photo that you might have taken! Toffee brown looks like a rare color so you might have that exclusivity factor, if you are keen on one. All the best.
Sure is exclusive! I hope i wont have any issues with it once i finalize the color.

Quote:
Very likely that he does, ask Chethan for his take on Candy White. There's a Candy White Jetta at work and parking my own car next to it makes for such a stark contrast. Will try to get a picture of it if you're thinking of white.
Please do click a picture, Will be very useful.

Quote:
By maintenance I mean regularly (daily) using a duster to clean the car since it will be a dust magnet. This is easy, a 2-3 minute process. Will get to that in a minute.

Other than that, depending on how hands on you want to be, you should get a car shampoo, wax and microfiber cloth(s) to clean the car. I have someone who cleans the car daily, but it leaves swirl marks on the paint. I am considering letting it be for now and filling them up with a swirl mark remover such as this one.. The other option is to get professional detailing done btu you can only do it so often before the cost becomes overwhelming. So, by maintenance, I essentially mean

a) daily dust removal as many times as needed
b) a proper wash with shampoo/waterless wash every weekend and
c) a wax once a month

Optimum No Rinse is a great product that came recommended to me, but I don't have a water source anywhere near my parking, so I'm using a waterless wash currently along with a liquid wax and a gloss enhancer to be used only when the car is absolutely clean.

On a daily basis, I only use the Jopasu Duster to wipe off all the dust. Can't recommend it enough.
I shall bug your brains out if everything goes well and i do end up booking the Jetta

Quote:
As far as protecting the color goes, I studied both Opticoat and C-quartz. The former is a one-time application that forms a protective layer but doesn't have the gloss and sex appeal of c-quartz. C-Quartz comes with a 2 year warranty, is much cheaper and looks mindblowingly good. That's all I'd do for the car when it comes to paint protection. I've already had paint sealant applied professionally and do my own waxing, but using C-quartz would reduce the need for me to wax significantly. Unfortunately, I can't seem to find anyone that can do it in Mumbai. You might be luckier!
Im hearing this Ceramic quartz treatment for the first time, i guess its the same as Nanocoating, unfotunately i dont seem to find anything on google for hyderabad. If anyone from Hyd could share something on this it would be great.

Quote:
They're unavoidable, sadly A few days into getting her home, someone ran over a stone and it made a huge sound as it pinged off the rear right door. It left a small chip that I had touched up and it's now invisible to the naked eye, but it's unavoidable really. What's worse, on black the smallest of scratches becomes very visible. Keeping her gleaming and pristine is hard work!
That's sad. After the pain we take and care we invest things like these are indeed disappointing. I hope that shall be all in your case.
Old 7th April 2014, 23:16   #1345
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Good to hear this Chethan, my only issue with white is that even tough its a six layer paint the scratches are visible on white VW cars.
That is because, darker color is used as base. But at the same time, white is the easiest for a "touch-up".
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 8th April 2014, 07:12   #1346
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Guys,
Just came across this, What do you think? By this yearend i guess this will come down to india, I have no patience to wait but the redesign looks good. Not many changes though.
It mention about the facelift for the US market. AFAIK, VW follow different update routines for US and Europe, and India follows the latter. If you need a car now, why wait until yearend?
vb-saan is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 16:40   #1347
Senior - BHPian

Our new Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (AT) Highline - Platinum Grey

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo-1.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo-2.jpg

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-photo-3.jpg
gowda79 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 9th April 2014, 16:54   #1348
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by gowda79 View Post
Our new Jetta 2.0L CR TDI (AT) Highline - Platinum Grey
Congratulations! Wishing you tens of thousands of safe, trouble free and fun filled driving! Looking forward to your ownership thread.
Old 9th April 2014, 17:49   #1349
Senior - BHPian

Congrats gowda79, what was the OTR cost of the car and what kind of a deal did you crack?

Here's hoping you have tons of fun behind the wheel, the Jetta is a lovely car to drive. The facelift is working a charm for it, seeing a few more on the forum now and many more on the roads too.

Drive safe. See you around. Ciao.
Old 9th April 2014, 19:43   #1350
Senior - BHPian

Congrats Gowda79!

Wish you a very happy and safe ownership experience..

Dear Friends,

My Jetta is nearing 14k Kms on the ODO (7 months young). I am not sure if I should stick to the regular service interval of 15k Kms OR get the first oil change service after 14k Kms...

Any advice would help and will be highly appreciated...

Thanks in advance...

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks