Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews
Register New Topics New Posts Top Thanked Team-BHP FAQ

Search this Thread
Old 20th May 2014, 12:57   #1441
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by MandarMax View Post
I had my first major scare with the Jetta last weekend. I was on a family trip to Tarkarli and on the way back to Pune, I was stuck in a traffic jam in a small village. After about 15 minutes of inching forward in the traffic jam, I smelt something burning.

My questions are:
- Would a clutch lead to burning smell and smoke? What could be the contributing factors? Please note that I do NOT ride clutch (except may be when I am on an steep slope, such as a ghat in a traffic jam).
The Jetta has a highly sensitive dual clutch system. The way we have often been trained to 'slightly' ride the clutch in normal single clutch vehicles can be damaging on the Jetta.

Try moving forward by having the clutch fully depressed and slightly releasing it. The system is powerful enough, in first gear, for the car to move forward with just the clutch slightly released and without having to use the accelerator at all. I don't mean to sound preachy but in traffic jams sometimes we might press the accelerator through habit, especially when chatting with family and relaxing in a vacation mode!

My best guess would be that this is what caused it but still take it to your service center to get it thoroughly checked.

If you're absolutely sure that you did not touch the accelerator at all, then ignore me.

Best.
Old 20th May 2014, 14:42   #1442
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
The Jetta has a highly sensitive dual clutch system. The way we have often been trained to 'slightly' ride the clutch in normal single clutch vehicles can be damaging on the Jetta.

I didn't know that the manual version of the Jetta was also a dual clutch design. What would the benefit be of a dual clutch for a manual gearbox? Your not going to get any faster gear changes, as that is controlled directly by the driver. Imo, its needlessly adding costs to the car.
Old 20th May 2014, 15:17   #1443
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by RoadTrippin View Post
Correction, the manual has a dual mass flywheel. It is more expensive but makes the clutch lighter and absorbs the torque better when engaging gear
ajmat is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 22nd May 2014, 14:24   #1444
BHPian

Any one who plans for a detailing please dont forget to consult with petes automotive products.
I have been using my Punto for the last 4 years and covered almost 77K. I had done smartwax from Petes. I can really tell you guys its awesome. I had opted for a 3 year (now only 2 year package )comprehensive package which includes a thorough interior and exterior detailing every 3 months. Swirl marks are very less compared to the ones without smartwax.

Recently when I showed my car to a used car evaluater from Toyota U trust he was astonished to see my odo reading as 77K. According to him the body shows a wear of only 20-25K.

Whichever car detailing you go for, it wont last more than 6 months. So its better to repeat the process.

Last edited by cosmopolitan : 22nd May 2014 at 14:26. Reason: Anotations
Old 22nd May 2014, 16:58   #1445
BHPian

Got a call from Volkswagen Showroom saying they will give a 2014 Jetta AT with 30K discount 20K exchange bonus a 10K corporate discount(dont know whether I will be eligible for that). So a total benefit of 60K. Any deals going on anywhere else ?

How much is the approximate expense of 15K 30K and 45K services?

How much is the approximate brakepad life (I know its user dependent)?

Last edited by cosmopolitan : 22nd May 2014 at 17:13. Reason: Back to back questions
Old 22nd May 2014, 17:30   #1446
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by cosmopolitan View Post

How much is the approximate expense of 15K 30K and 45K services?

How much is the approximate brakepad life (I know its user dependent)?
My first service cost me 13.5K approximately. As far as the brakes are concerned, as you mentioned its user dependent. Mine ( the car is a Aug 2012 model) still has a lot of life in them though my odo is still at 15K. I have hardly driven 5K the past year or so.
shivasuma is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 23rd May 2014, 12:09   #1447
BHPian

tyre

the default Goodyear eagle nct did not last long on my jetta. lost one to a pothole within a week of driving. second one i lost to a sharp stone just outside bandipur on ooty-mysore road. they were getting far too many flats for my liking. not sure if Tyre can be blamed for flats

now i have replaced eagle NCT with Michelin primacy 3ST. the car is running supper silent. still early days but i think it is consuming less fuel. thankfully got no flats in 1000+ km with new tyre.
rahulv is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 25th May 2014, 11:17   #1448
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Dear MandarMax : Here you go with the chrome strip grill photo's.

IMHO the TL is real VFM . So go for it . The only things missing from the CL are

1. Leatherette seat covers
2. The wooden interior plastic decal
3. Chrome strip & DRL housing
4. MFD + . The MFD is good enough and you will only miss the door open display in the TL MFD
5. The slightly better display in the CL OEM the music system
6. STEERING with controls but again IMHO the 3 spoke steering is more sportier and has a better grip though some will say it is a straight lift from the Vento . Though it comes with good leather stitching.

You get all the safety features / airbags + alloys + Mechanicalss and its not that they are giving you black painted bumpers to distinguish it from the other variants.
Hi MadHawk,
Could you please put up some pics of the MFD of the Trendline? I what way is it different from the MFD Plus? I am looking at the Trendline/ Comfortline and while the Trendline is in budget, the Comfortline might be a stretch. Any other aspects where you feel a twinge of reget not having bought the higher variants? Is it a problem not having the the fog lights? As an owner can you offer some advise please.
Thanks!
Old 25th May 2014, 12:14   #1449
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Is it a problem not having the the fog lights? As an owner can you offer some advise please.
Thanks!

Hi rednikhil,

We have a Jetta Highline, I may not be an expert on this but would like to tell you the cornering fog lamps are pretty useful at night and also in bad road/weather conditions. My suggestion go for the comfort line. Meantime the experts will answer all your queries. Good luck with your buy.

Cheers!
Amarendranath is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 09:14   #1450
BHPian

Had a TD of Jetta DSG last day. Completely blown away by the ride quality, interior quality and the stablility at speeds. Though I drive a cruze auto, which is also in the same price league, its way beyond any comparison.

Actually I was considering an upgrade from my 2010 Punto, But I couldn't find any good upgrade around 15L(purely my opinion). From the recent ACI magazine I found a new Jetta is round the corner. Confused now whether to buy now or after the new launch.

AFIK the car maintains a good balance between a family sedan and a sporty sedan.
cosmopolitan is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 26th May 2014, 09:19   #1451
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
I am looking at the Trendline/ Comfortline and while the Trendline is in budget, the Comfortline might be a stretch. Any other aspects where you feel a twinge of reget not having bought the higher variants? Is it a problem not having the the fog lights? As an owner can you offer some advise please.
Thanks!
Hi Nikhil!

Buy CL. It is the best VMF on offer.

You will not miss anything and will be happy ever after..
Chethan B G is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 12:15   #1452
BHPian

Quote:
Hi MadHawk,
Could you please put up some pics of the MFD of the Trendline? I what way is it different from the MFD Plus? I am looking at the Trendline/ Comfortline and while the Trendline is in budget, the Comfortline might be a stretch. Any other aspects where you feel a twinge of reget not having bought the higher variants? Is it a problem not having the the fog lights? As an owner can you offer some advise please.
Thanks!
Nikhil,

Go for the CL - no 2 ways about it. I was in the same situation last month with heart saying CL, but pocket and head saying TL. Went with heart and stretched my budget to get the CL - no regrets at all.

I used to think "expensive" earlier as well - but after 2.5k of pure unadulterated pleasure on the road - my opinion has changed to "complete VFM". The ride quality and the power are exceptional. Coming from a Swift diesel, my power requirements were already on the higher side - but the tdi just delivers!

You may want to keep 2 things in mind regardless of what you end up doing:

1. Dealers don't get/have a whole lot of TL stock. You wont especially get good color choice. If you want the car in hand immediately - that's another problem with TL since "the demand for TL is very low" is what the dealer informed me. Be prepared to wait.

2. Everyone here on TBHP said so and I took it lightly - but do try and see if you can get the tyres changed right after purchase. I went with what the dealer told me and the TD vehicle appeared "OK" to me - so, I missed it, but the tyres are noisy - well worth the money changing them right away. You'll also need to save up for detailing, paint protection etc - these take up a decent sum of money.

PS: Also keep extended warranty in mind. Costs a bomb, but is totally recommended. Once again - this can be taken anytime in the first 365 days (please ensure this is true).

And - finally, excellent choice!!!
ddis_dude is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 12:36   #1453

Quote:
Hi MadHawk,
Thanks!
I drive 2012 Jetta Tsi-Trendline as well as a 2013 C Class. When I bought the trendline version I wanted a driver's car which offered adequate safety. Trendline gave me that. The music system is pretty basic and I occassionally miss the bluetooth connectivity but the money that I saved on the variant was spent on a custom remap and some mods. The car is a treat to drive and I never really miss my Merc for any of the bells and whistles it offers.
From my experience Jetta is very mod-friendly and you can work on getting some of these features installed later.
Swerve is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 27th May 2014, 16:28   #1454
BHPian

I just found this on ACI website, posting it here as it may be useful. Hope this information is legit.

Name:  photo.PNG
Views: 1604
Size:  204.0 KB

Last edited by Amarendranath : 27th May 2014 at 16:31.
Amarendranath is offline   (3) Thanks
Old 28th May 2014, 15:42   #1455
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
I drive 2012 Jetta Tsi-Trendline as well as a 2013 C Class. When I bought the trendline version I wanted a driver's car which offered adequate safety. Trendline gave me that. The music system is pretty basic and I occassionally miss the bluetooth connectivity but the money that I saved on the variant was spent on a custom remap and some mods. The car is a treat to drive and I never really miss my Merc for any of the bells and whistles it offers.
From my experience Jetta is very mod-friendly and you can work on getting some of these features installed later.

Hola

could you give me details of the mods you have done. i have upgraded music system. looking for steering mounted controls. plus fog lamp

Most Viewed

Copyright ©2000 - 2024, Team-BHP.com
Proudly powered by E2E Networks