Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 12th June 2014, 11:45   #1471
BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

Quote:
Originally Posted by Swerve View Post
So far I have installed only the dual projector headlamps with Morimoto HIDs (5Five DSP) and Park Assist. Plan to go for RCD 510 with bluetooth module very soon. I am very happy with the new headlamps. They are a boon on highway runs. Btw which music system did you upgrade to ?

i got this unit

http://www.blaupunkt.com/pl/nc/produ...s/single/7135/

has two mic s for your call. integrates will with parking systems, including reverse camera. music quality is ok to good. i think i need a upgrade in speakers as well.
Old 12th June 2014, 13:10   #1472

Quote:
Originally Posted by FeelTheBass View Post
Hi AmolChaps i also own a VW JETTA HL AT (2011) . I also feel the AC is not very effective and same thing has been happening with my jetta's AC , its not cooling well and at times it even cuts off and makes things more worse for the people inside the car.
What all i want to know is, did you get your AC checked by the VW People? what was the problem? Culprit?
Temperature Sensor? did you get the temperature sensor checked?
how was your problem solved?
please help me out.
Regards,
Rajat
Hi Rajat,

Sorry for the delay, I was out of touch for sometime. With regards to your question, I did go to the VW service station in Thane and discussed the problem. There was a extensive check carried out and they found out that the electrionic control valve on/near the compressor was faulty. As the car is in warrenty, they replaced it and now the AC works really well. A friend of mine who owns a Laura has also faced the same peoblem and changing the valve has worked for him also.
Try getting it checked. Hope this helps.

Amol
AmolChaps is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 03:56   #1473
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chethan B G View Post
  • Maintain RPM less than 75% of the red-line, during first 1000 Kms. Do not lug the engine / slip clutch. Do not use cruise control.
  • After 1000 Kms, slowly increase RPM and even touch red-line a few times before getting to 2000 Kms. Do not use cruise control yet.
  • After 2000 Kms, drive the car as you would intend to drive normally. Avoid excessive use of cruise control.
  • Once you cross 5000 Kms - You are the boss!!

Running-in is not just for the engine. It is crucial for most parts like Tyre, Brake pads, suspensions, gear box / clutch, Turbo and all other electro-mechanical parts. First 1000 Kms is important for all these parts to "bed" properly. Most parts will settle after that and perform better, including brakes.

Completed 8500 kms and first service also done.. Except for cruise control rest all features are in use as recommended. Recently did pune to manali road trip and the car really did well with full load and boot packed in kullu-manali hilly terrain. As compared to my earlier vento, though jetta is more planted on road and also has relatively much lesser braking distance, still the steering response in vento was much more inspiring while cutting corners at speeds around 100+. Though i am liking the heavy steering feel as compared to vento but haven't got used to it fully yet. Should i wait until 10k for tyre rotation or, get it done now for better life?
nikesh is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 14th June 2014, 16:07   #1474
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by nikesh View Post
Should i wait until 10k for tyre rotation or, get it done now for better life?
Tyre rotation every 10K kms is good enough. Alignment can be checked every 5K kms and wheel balancing every 15K Kms..
Old 16th June 2014, 11:04   #1475
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Hi MadHawk,
Could you please put up some pics of the MFD of the Trendline? I what way is it different from the MFD Plus? I am looking at the Trendline/ Comfortline and while the Trendline is in budget, the Comfortline might be a stretch. Any other aspects where you feel a twinge of reget not having bought the higher variants? Is it a problem not having the the fog lights? As an owner can you offer some advise please.
Thanks!
Dear RedNikhil : Sorry was traveling and hence the late reply. Putting up some pics of the MFD on trendline as requested. My 2 cents is that it’s absolutely something you can live with . Its more or less the same as MFD + be it a few xtra info and door open animation missing on trendline .It gives you average speed / outside Temp/ Average fuel economy in liters per 100 km / Distance to empty / last trip and a digital speedometer which I usually use it for . It also has a gear indicator and it also recommends when you should upshift or downshift . I am sure you can live with it and its not a deal breaker. The Fogs are something you can live without too. I just changed the H7 bulbs to Philips extreme vision in both H/L beam which has made the throw so much better. The basic stereo might be an eyesore but trust me it sounds very decent and has Aux in too. I just upgraded it once the 2 year warranty expired and VW for reasons they know best do not offer extended warranty on the Jetta . I just put a very decent Poineer system with BT/reverse camera et al which cost be about 22 K including fitting/coupler etc . Did not want to spend 50k on ICE alone and wanted something that matched the red interior lighting.

My advice to you is to go for the Trendline and don’t overstretch your budget. Use the saved $$ to please change your rubber to Michelin, get good leatherette type seat covers . Besides that it has all the mechanical / safety features of the other variants.

However the dealer will definitely try to upsell you from the Trendline . These are my personal observations and there are much more smarter and experienced folks on the forum who could also guide you accordingly. It’s a great car and fun to drive and just came back from a long trip to the Himalayas and she was doing high triple digit speeds on the expressway keeping up with the Audi/Mercs and was very poised on the ghat sections too compared to the Cruze my friend was driving . The brakes are just incredible. All the best and let us know once you decide.
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-image-2.jpeg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-image.jpeg  

MadHawk is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 16th June 2014, 13:10   #1476
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by 666 View Post
Thanks Gents.

Did speak to the Mysore guy too. So have some more options now.
Mind sharing the offers?
Old 16th June 2014, 16:47   #1477
Senior - BHPian

The Jetta e-brochure has disappeared from the site. I remember seeing it a month ago. Does this mean a new model is just round the corner ?
Old 16th June 2014, 21:19   #1478
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Dear RedNikhil : Putting up some pics of the MFD on trendline as requested. My 2 cents is that it’s absolutely something you can live with . Its more or less the same as MFD + be it a few xtra info and door open animation missing on trendline .It gives you average speed / outside Temp/ Average fuel economy in liters per 100 km / Distance to empty / last trip and a digital speedometer which I usually use it for . It also has a gear indicator and it also recommends when you should upshift or downshift . I am sure you can live with it and its not a deal breaker. The Fogs are something you can live without too. I just changed the H7 bulbs to Philips extreme vision in both H/L beam which has made the throw so much better. The basic stereo might be an eyesore but trust me it sounds very decent and has Aux in too. I just upgraded it once the 2 year warranty expired and VW for reasons they know best do not offer extended warranty on the Jetta . I just put a very decent Poineer system with BT/reverse camera et al which cost be about 22 K including fitting/coupler etc . Did not want to spend 50k on ICE alone and wanted something that matched the red interior lighting.

My advice to you is to go for the Trendline and don’t overstretch your budget. Use the saved $$ to please change your rubber to Michelin, get good leatherette type seat covers . Besides that it has all the mechanical / safety features of the other variants.

However the dealer will definitely try to upsell you from the Trendline . These are my personal observations and there are much more smarter and experienced folks on the forum who could also guide you accordingly. It’s a great car and fun to drive and just came back from a long trip to the Himalayas and she was doing high triple digit speeds on the expressway keeping up with the Audi/Mercs and was very poised on the ghat sections too compared to the Cruze my friend was driving . The brakes are just incredible. All the best and let us know once you decide.
Dear MadHawk,
Thanks a lot for putting up the pictures and for your invaluable advice on deciding the variant; really appreciate it!
Just another thing, I know that the seats are fabric and that the lumbar support is missing, but are the contours of the seats equally supportive as the Comfortline/ Highline? Thanks again!
rednikhil is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 16:33   #1479
BHPian

Dear RedNikhil :I had Test driven the HL and frankly I did not find any difference in the support/ comfort of the seats except the leatherette seat covers . You can get similar ones from autoform who are suppose to be OEM suppliers to VW. The one I got were airbag friendly as there are 2 in the front seats . However make sure the fitting is done by their person only .

Has anyone changed their Headlights with aftermarket ones with DRL's ?
MadHawk is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 17th June 2014, 17:31   #1480
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by rednikhil View Post
Dear MadHawk,
Thanks a lot for putting up the pictures and for your invaluable advice on deciding the variant; really appreciate it!
Just another thing, I know that the seats are fabric and that the lumbar support is missing, but are the contours of the seats equally supportive as the Comfortline/ Highline? Thanks again!
Yes, Madhawk. I have the TL too and am very satisfied with the existing trim. The only grouse I have is the cloth seat covers. I'd like to go for leatherite but it would invalidate the side airbags in the front seats. Did you forego your airbags for the leatherite seat covers ?

RedNikhil : I believe the seats are exactly the same as the CL & HL. But doesnt have any lumbar adjustments.
Dinesh Chengalp is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 18th June 2014, 10:18   #1481
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by shashank.nk View Post
The Jetta e-brochure has disappeared from the site. I remember seeing it a month ago. Does this mean a new model is just round the corner ?
I don't see it either... not sure what is cooking? I'm keen on buying one but not sure if this is the right timing though!
Old 18th June 2014, 10:50   #1482
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
Yes, Madhawk. I have the TL too and am very satisfied with the existing trim. The only grouse I have is the cloth seat covers. I'd like to go for leatherite but it would invalidate the side airbags in the front seats. Did you forego your airbags for the leatherite seat covers ?

RedNikhil : I believe the seats are exactly the same as the CL & HL. But doesnt have any lumbar adjustments.
Dear Dinesh : The Autoform seat covers come with special stitching for the front seats for the airbags. These are custom made and there is a very light seam stitching near the airbag opening so the airbags deploy in case of a crash. I was guaranteed the same by the owner of Autoform Sid who is an extremely helpful and young chap and he even sent his man to get the covers installed all the way from Noida and asked me not to pay till I was satisfied with the quality. Hope this helps

Hi Swerve : Can you please share some pics and details of your projector headlights as have been hunting for them but very skeptical of quality and fitment. Would really help if you can share your experience. Thanks in advance
Old 18th June 2014, 11:41   #1483
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by MadHawk View Post
Dear Dinesh : The Autoform seat covers come with special stitching for the front seats for the airbags.
Hi MadHawk, Is this the Autoform of Reliance Autozone and can I get it installed in one of the Reliance Autozone outlets in Hyderabad or the special stitching is available in another location and needs to get shipped and installed as it was done for you ?

Thanks in advance, Dinesh
Old 18th June 2014, 11:57   #1484
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by AirWind View Post
I don't see it either... not sure what is cooking? I'm keen on buying one but not sure if this is the right timing though!
Same dilemma here! I've decided to wait atleast until the Vento & Polo facelifts are launched hopefully we'll get a better idea on Jetta facelift post that. The only bummer is they may increase prices with the facelift.
Old 18th June 2014, 13:44   #1485
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dinesh Chengalp View Post
Hi MadHawk, Is this the Autoform of Reliance Autozone and can I get it installed in one of the Reliance Autozone outlets in Hyderabad or the special stitching is available in another location and needs to get shipped and installed as it was done for you ?

Thanks in advance, Dinesh
Dinesh : Yes I had ordered it through Reliance Autozone but before that I spoke to Autoform directly as Reliance folks are just mere middle men and say yes sir yes sir 3 bags full to everything . You need to custom order it and pay a advance. Takes a couple of weeks for them to deliver it though. Also once they know you are directly in touch with the company they cant take you for a ride. Costed me I think 6-7K for the U impress (plain) nutmeg colour though I wish could have gone for black but the damn beige interior does not allow it .

cheers

Most Viewed