Team-BHP > Team-BHP Reviews > Official New Car Reviews

Search this Thread
Old 5th September 2011, 18:14   #46

Re: Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review

I feel as left confused. I have been waiting for new Jetta launch for 6 months - other option off course being Laura.

I am not a driving enthusiast - need a decent respectable luxury car - mostly city drive in Delhi - Self and Chauffeur drive almost 50:50, about 18,000KM per year.

Prefer AT but Jetta offering this only in High line is unfortunate.

Serous question remains about quality and costs of service and maintenance - in light of so many reports of dissatisfaction for Skoda - how does VW fair on this count?

I am new on this forum and appreciate your guidance and advise.
Sanjeev Rai is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 18:33   #47
Senior - BHPian

We have a Vento, a Superb, a City and an Accord in the family and i can tell you that the Honda ACs are brilliant and the VW, Skoda acs do take a little while to cool. Maybe its because the Hondas are petrol and someone told me that it has something to do with Petrol engine compression vs Diesel Engine compression . I personally dont know much about how engines work so i wont say anymore. But yeah, i definitely think the European ACs take a while to cool.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Frontosa View Post
Awesome review! Thanks for sharing. I think the 2 most important complaints are:

1. ACC missing
2. Vento looks
3. Bluetooth missing (maybe there is an option to by the module so that wont be an issue as the steering has phone switch)

I dont think any others are deal breakers though. Soft touch plastic like someone mentioned weathers away after few years, maybe in our Indian climate, not sure though.

But did someone notice that the review clearly mentioned 2 things: The AC is really good and that the car was tested in Rajasthan. So I guess I will go with this compromise than having an option of ACC but doesnt actually do the cooling. I read somewhere on forum that even Laura (or other european cars) dont have powerful AC.

And more than anything else, whats the USP of this car:
Great Drive, speed, stability, mileage and more of the real "CAR" stuff
Old 5th September 2011, 19:09   #48
Distinguished - BHPian

Great pics and a wonderful review, Rudra! I almost missed this because the title didn't mention which Jetta and assumed it was a bumping up of an old Jetta review. Then saw your name as thread starter and clicked on it

As a Vento owner I was secretly pleased that the new Jetta is little more than a blown up Vento HL, in fact without even climatronic and Bluetooth! But your review definitely helped me view this car in a new light, well sorta! I still wouldn't buy this car, I guess at almost double the price of a Vento. But 140 BHP MT option is super-tempting (especiall since I own an AT petrol Vento!)

The pic quality takes this review to the next level. Great job!
Old 5th September 2011, 19:15   #49
Team-BHP Support

Thanks for the great review, that too with the added bonus of those awesome photographs.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rudra Sen View Post
Other Points:
From the pictures, it looks like new Jetta have 3-point seat belt for the rear passenger as well. Maybe a point worth adding here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by GTO View Post
Loved driving this car on the open road, yes. But it was more fun on the twisties. Super engine + transmission + ride + handling.
Just to compare – according to you, which is a better pick – the DSG or 6-speed MT?
Old 5th September 2011, 19:41   #50
Senior - BHPian

Splendid Photographs

Rudra Sen, absolutely brilliant photos and a very balanced review. Thank You.

Great attention to detail and timing. You have managed to catch the hazards in the very first picture and the new Jetta looks amazing in that photograph.

I love that radio antenna and the LHS stalk. VW should have made some changes to the chin of the car at least. A different looking air dam and foglights a la the new Passat would have done the trick to make the Jetta look a wee bit different to the one who cannot be named.
Old 5th September 2011, 19:48   #51
Senior - BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sanjeev Rai View Post
I feel as left confused. I have been waiting for new Jetta launch for 6 months - other option off course being Laura.

I am not a driving enthusiast - need a decent respectable luxury car - mostly city drive in Delhi - Self and Chauffeur drive almost 50:50, about 18,000KM per year.

Prefer AT but Jetta offering this only in High line is unfortunate.

Serous question remains about quality and costs of service and maintenance - in light of so many reports of dissatisfaction for Skoda - how does VW fair on this count?

I am new on this forum and appreciate your guidance and advise.
If primarily chauffeur driven and looking for luxury, why not the Altis over these two ? It has a pretty long equipment list, good brand value and unbeatable rear seat comfort. Of course if you can stretch your budget a little bit, Superb cant be beaten.
ethanhunt123 is offline   (1) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 20:03   #52
Distinguished - BHPian

Thanks a lot for the review. Finally!! I just logged in with crossed fingers and bingo! Made my day. Now that you guys have given the car a thumbs up I am much more relieved. Have to pick between this and the Altis.

BTW if VW decides to add ACC later is there any way it can be retro fitted in cars sold before that?
Old 5th September 2011, 20:52   #53
Senior - BHPian

Just like every other review in the forum, this is again a very balanced and informative review that clearly lists the pros and cons. The omission of features such as ACC, Bluetooth and leather seats are shocking to say the least. But the car looks absolutely stunning. Though the front-end is very similar to the Vento, the rear just lifts the Jetta to an altogether different level.

I don't have words to praise those awesome snaps. The first few snaps that greets us on the first couple of posts in the review are just fabulous. I have never seen a better looking Jetta in pictures.
Old 5th September 2011, 21:05   #54
BHPian

Just love the understated looks of the car, elegant is the word that springs to mind. The interiors are a bit of a let down but other than the ACC one can live with it.
As an photography enthusiast just went ga-ga over Rudra's brilliant photos - awesome stuff. Below is another great picture of this car:
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-vwjettaside.jpg  

Last edited by John : 5th September 2011 at 21:32.
Old 5th September 2011, 22:02   #55

Quote:
Originally Posted by ethanhunt123 View Post
If primarily chauffeur driven and looking for luxury, why not the Altis over these two ? It has a pretty long equipment list, good brand value and unbeatable rear seat comfort. Of course if you can stretch your budget a little bit, Superb cant be beaten.
Thanks

Well its not primarily Chauffeur driven - about 50% or more is self drive and we prefer diesel, which for Superb is beyond budget.

Being part self driven, I prefer AT but Jetta AT at Rs 20Lac+ on road with leatherette and no ACC does not sound appealing.

So I have been looking between Jetta MT and Laura AT and am wondering about the *** of Laura vs VW.

I am open off course to other recommendations please
Old 5th September 2011, 22:34   #56
BHPian

Excellent review Mr Rudra/GTO.

The major cons of the new jetta in my opinion would be:-

1. Interior quality not upto the mark.
2. No leather.
3."Mexican build" ??
4. The 205/55 section tyres being offered.Too low a profile and that too Good year NCT5s.
5. VW has gone a bit overboard with the family frontal visage theme.
6. The DSG version is overpriced.
7. The running lights could have been LED.That would have made it easier to distinguish it from the hordes of ventos and polos on our roads.
Old 5th September 2011, 23:05   #57
Team-BHP Support

Quote:
Originally Posted by keyur View Post
Great review!
Which cam? Which lens?
Never thought it’s that important, however.
Canon camera and Canon lenses.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nishantmohan View Post
do they provide bluetooth as an option?
Don’t know as of now. Will check and put it here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Xryder View Post
Given that DSG not available in entry level variant, will this change in the near future?
Again, don’t know at this point.

Quote:
Originally Posted by F150 View Post
Did we test the sound quality of the stock sound system?
Yes we did. VW team has given us an audio CD with their compilations. System sounds as average or good as any other OE system.
Quote:
So what is the final conclusion ? VW has a winner on hand after the VENTO success?
Only time will tell.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Raosaheb Desai View Post
VW praises its new DSG box (improved compare to old version) but response to kick down at speeds above 80 seems lethargic. Feels same as our laura DSG.
You think so? Frankly we didn’t feel this at all. In fact DSG behaved very well at higher speed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by xingamazon View Post
Question: The accelarator seems to be connected from underneath is that right, I did not see any connection from the top of accelerator peddle. Is that right?
Was it same way for the older model?
If that is the case how is play of the accelarator, does the angle differ if its connected from bottom?
Didn’t you see the same in old FIATs? It’s a very old design and no, it doesn’t make any difference in terms of feeling.

Quote:
Observation: It is one to have a "Design Elements" for your car. One recognizes the Ford's Kinectic Design elements very nicely.
But this is taking the Design elements to its hilt extent of hating it. You just cant copy paste a design elements for all the cars, looks err odd.
I’m confused here. Are you talking about Vento/Polo family look?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Santoshbhat View Post
VW will not hear the end of similarity of the looks with the Vento! The design itself is otherwise brilliant. Those clean sharp lines will never look dated and will age very well.
Yes, we felt the same too.
Quote:
Originally Posted by shuvc View Post
Is the spare a full size wheel/tyre?
Full size with steel disk.
Quote:
Btw, in the variant comparo with other cars, should not the Renault diesel be listed as an entry level variant?
Well, may be you’re right here. Let’s check and we’ll get back.

Quote:
Originally Posted by S350L-E240 View Post
coming to the car I have a 1.9 TDI DSG previous generation Jetta, and believe me a lot has been spoken about the new car not having plastics of high quality, while they may feel rough, they are a lot more durable compared to the Jetta I have, trust me some of the soft touch materials have now started peeling off in cracks, and now it's all white under it.
You’re right to a great extent but customer expects always more. No?
Quote:
I think this is the best car in it's segment, features may come and go, but it's the entire package of engine / dynamics / gearbox / safety / appeal / over all experience that matters a lot more then not having the ACC or Memory seats. Yes opinions differ but none of the omissions are worth not buying this car for.
I somehow tend to agree with you here. But then it’s an individual choice of course.

Quote:
Originally Posted by PPS View Post
Also what are the 0-100 timings ?
This is one thing we didn’t check due to lack of time. My guess would be 8-8.5 sec. I may be wrong though.
Quote:
What FE did the car show on the MID during your drive?
Again, didn’t check. Sorry about this.
Quote:
I feel the car will look more striking in better colours
Agree with you. I feel VW may consider this after seeing their sales chart few months down the line. On the other hand, customers for this segment normally go for silver/white/black.
Quote:
Originally Posted by hdnivara View Post
Not able to see the wiper blades/arm in any of the pics. Just me?
They sit right below the bonnet line.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aurum View Post
Am really interested in others opinions on how differently this drives from the Laura. I felt they were pretty different, in that the Jetta seems more composed and planted.
I haven’t driven a Laura. GTO should be in a better position to answer this.

Quote:
Originally Posted by vb-san View Post
Just to compare – according to you, which is a better pick – the DSG or 6-speed MT?
Choice is yours and both are good. I’ll go for manual box anyday.
Rudra Sen is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 23:20   #58
Senior - BHPian

Re: Volkswagen Jetta 2011 : Test Drive & Review

The first car to be sold at Trivandrum. Its costs 16,0800 OTR at Trivandrum.
Its my friend's car and I didnt get time to drive it.
  • Looks wow even for the TrendLine
  • Felt spacious and usable middle row at rear
  • Looks it has enough ground clearance as photo proves
  • Rear looks SUVish + BWM 3ish?
  • Nice brake lights
  • 6 S !
  • Boot release from within boot! You cant kidnap people in the boot :P)
  • Boot release on RHS door
  • Waiting period of 2 months
  • DRL isnt LED !!!! Shame!
Attached Thumbnails
Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0857-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0858-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0859-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0860-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0861-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0862-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0863-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0864-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0865-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0868-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0869-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0870-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0871-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0875-custom.jpg  

Volkswagen Jetta : Test Drive & Review-dsc_0876-custom.jpg  

jkdas is offline   (2) Thanks
Old 5th September 2011, 23:27   #59
BHPian

Quote:
Originally Posted by jkdas
The first car to be sold at Trivandrum. Its costs 16,0800 OTR at Trivandrum.
Its my friend's car and I didnt get time to drive it.
[*]Looks wow even for the TrendLine[*]Felt spacious and usable middle row at rear[*]Looks it has enough ground clearance as photo proves[*]Rear looks SUVish + BWM 3ish?[*]Nice brake lights[*]6 S ![*]Boot release from within boot! You cant kidnap people in the boot :P)[*]Boot release on RHS door[*]Waiting period of 2 months[*]DRL isnt LED !!!! Shame!
The first car to be sold in Trivandrum has a waiting time of 2 months? How do these dealer allotments work?
Old 5th September 2011, 23:27   #60
BHPian

^^ Is it just me or does the rear bumper in the 2nd pic look a shade darker than the body paint?

Please confirm whether the colour is Silver or Silver Leaf! (looks like Silver Leaf)

Most Viewed